Pepper Flash Wrapper For Firefox and Palemoon

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

Back to Chromium for me, unless someone here can help.
well i could give you counselling to help you overcome the obsessive desire for new new new :D
Solves many technical problems for me.

mike

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

Not really a problem here, mikeb. I was having issues with Chromium before...

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

Not really a problem here, mikeb. I was having issues with Chromium before...
I have no issues with Chromium simply by not using it ;)
Actually the library here give you IE or Chromium as the browser alternatives..
After many complaints it installed firefox and I was able to use that.... one for freedom of choice eh :)

Can you feel my hand on your leg giving a gentle tug?

mike

starhawk

#34 Post by starhawk »

I'd switch if I could get this working...

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Is there a reason for needing newer flash? Not like they are actually adding anything useful to it and forget any security worries...

mike

starhawk

#36 Post by starhawk »

Little bits and bobs here and there. For example, sometimes I use the https://pixlr.com/ editor (ignore the https part -- I've honestly no idea why they did that) and it relies on Flash (no HTML5 there, I guess). I tend to link directly to the editor (you can do that), and it won't even try to run with Flash on "ask first please", which FF insists on now because of supposed security vulnerabilities in Flash 11.2 -- I don't believe them, and even if it's true I actually don't care -- except that they lock it down so that it's basically impossible to use Flash based anything in Firefox. Sort of like Java, except Oracle forced that one instead of a third-party browser.

I don't actually use Pixlr that often, but sometimes I have a small task here or there where it's super fast and just about perfect. Like the other day when I wanted to convert an old *.ico into a *.png... that's how I found out it wouldn't work on FF with 11.2 Flash. It goes straight to the "you don't have flash and you need it to run this" place and won't leave once it gets there...

Like I've said before -- if my computer programs are going to assume I'm stupid and second-guess me, I will find other programs that don't. I really don't like that kind of behavior. A "this is potentially insecure" b*tch-bar at the bottom of the screen, Chrom(e/ium) style, would be sufficient. Locking it down so you can't actually use it is over the top and over the line.

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

Well that behaviour can be disabled... blocklist stuff.....then you can use whatever version of flash you like...I like to make my own choices too :)

As for image handling the GIMP is rather nice... use say 2.4 if you think the newer ones are too big/awkward.

Beat yer software with a large stick....

mike

starhawk

#38 Post by starhawk »

The GIMP is okay, but sometimes I don't need all that stuff, and I know how to use Pixlr when I need to use it.

For example, I just used it seconds ago to crop a screenshot. Would've taken five times as long in GIMP because GIMP is slow starting up.

Program size doesn't bother me any. Programs that think they are smarter than I am (almost always incorrectly), on the other hand, get me mad fast.

Unfortunately, FF with Flash now insists on "always ask" or "always block". It absolutely will not let me "always run" Flash content.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Again you need to change the blocklist settings or if stubborn edit the blocklist file...it varies with firefox version so cannot give specific details.

This is not flashblock on firefox is it??

Yes GIMP is slow to start...its weakness even with caching..I tend to leave it up during a session as the actual image loading is fast.
mtpaint is ...well...mtpaint.
And is there anything else???
Just seems a bit of a bum to reply on an online image editor.

mike

starhawk

#40 Post by starhawk »

Not flashblock, Flash. The plugin. I want Flash to run, not be blocked!

You are a bit slow today, mikeb, did someone leave the tomatoes out of your Full English Breakfast? :P (Had that a couple times, in a past life when Mom and I were not so poor. It was quite the experience for an American such as me ;) )

Geoffrey

#41 Post by Geoffrey »

starhawk wrote:For example, I just used it seconds ago to crop a screenshot. Would've taken five times as long in GIMP because GIMP is slow starting up.
If your still using Vanguard, you can crop images in Nomacs, it's not just an image viewer.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

starhawk

#42 Post by starhawk »

I'm still in Vanguard :) Nomacs is a good viewer, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to do more than that. I've gotten it pretty close to Viewnior (which I love dearly) and I'm basically happy with it. I don't want to potentially muck that up by noodling around with other stuff in it.

Off topic -- an absolutely perfect image viewer, for me, would act like the following...

Opens quickly if not instantly and permits multiple instances (so that I can have several images open at once, each in its own window). Goes between images with the L/R arrow keys. Mouse wheel zooms with the center point being the cursor. U/D arrow keys and =/- keys (no shift key needed to get '+', please) zoom with the center point being the center of the screen. ESC closes the image or leaves fullscreen. F11 toggles fullscreen on and off. There should also be the ability to rotate the image (temporarily -- never save it as rotated), and that should work regardless of formats and not throw up any kind of message or anything.

Fullscreen should zoom the image automatically to fill the screen without cropping or stretching, with a black background behind the image. I should be able to zoom in/out further in fullscreen, as well as move between images with the arrow keys. Any sort of "slideshow mode" should either be turned off by default or unsupported altogether.

The viewer should not reject any common type of bitmap/raster image (excepting proprietary formats such as Photoshop's) as well as SVG (I don't necessarily expect it to handle vector, outside of SVG). I do not need to edit the files (except for the occasional rotate, which, again, should not be permanent) nor do I want that capability. For me that is unnecessary cruft.

I should also be able to print the image. The printing part should initially fit the image to the size of the page without cropping it, but let me choose page size, orientation, and margins. I should be able to scale the image, should I want to, but that should be the only editing feature available. I should also be able to choose grayscale or color printing, including "black-only grayscale" should my printer permit such a thing.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

english breakfast...won't touch that crap...I like arteries that can carry blood.

It behaviour was reminiscent of flash block...anyway you are to slow to pick up on my hint on how to fix it..i win. :D

As for the image program you describbe picture publisher to a tee... great windows editor unfortunately bought up and shelved by coral.

As for GNU...what do you expect..i noticed the other day puppy by default does not have a way of printing images unless loaded to a browser by ...
I guess geeks don't get out enough to take decent pictures of their own. :D

laaaaaa

mike

starhawk

#44 Post by starhawk »

Flashblock is actually deprecated -- and does the exact opposite behavior of what I'm asking for. If I wanted nagware, I'd install Vista.

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

pixlr working nicely .. firefox 3.6, flash 10.0.42 windows. Flashblock blocked the ads on the right nicely.

Mike

starhawk

#46 Post by starhawk »

Thaaaaaaat's probably because the version of Firefox you're using is borderline antique.

I've got v.35.x (and I actually would like to keep it there).

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

Thats because i disabled its rejection of 'risky' plugins actually.....
A newer seamonkey I use works fine too once thats done....

Annoying this 'antique' software works sooo well..I thought you liked older stuff... :)

mike

starhawk

#48 Post by starhawk »

Wrong kind of older stuff :P

I like 80s computers and lately I've been mucking around with relays a bit. That's a little different!

So, how do I disable supposedly-risky-plugin rejection on a modern Firefox...?

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

hmm its
extensions.blocklist.enabled to false on here... but they change stuff...one for mozilla and a quick search to take account of the version.

For counselling i charge by the banana..

mike

kost@s

#50 Post by kost@s »

Pepper Flash-18.0.0.194