Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 13:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Where can I find Wine latest stable release 1.6.2?
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
rc2o2w

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015, 01:06    Post subject:  Where can I find Wine latest stable release 1.6.2?
Subject description: Installing Wine on Slacko 5.7

Guys/Gals,

I wonder if you can tell me what repository has the Wine 1.6.2?? I have
come across Wine 1.7.4 and Wine 1.5.x in Puppy Package Manager but
according WineHQ 1.6.2 is the latest stable release.

And I also see on WineHQ that Wine 1.7.38 is Released. I want the
latest release that will allow me to perform legacy windows apps. And
so if 1.6.2 is the latest I do not want to install 1.5.x nor 1.7.4 which
appears all that is available in Puppy Package Manager.

On the other hand, the WineHQ website offers downloads and so I go to:

Download Slackware packages - binary txz (Slackware 14.1), and tgz (for older versions)

and download "wine-1.6.2.tar.bz2". But what to do with it ?? Is the
question?? I do not want to mess up the install. And I would rather
a clean install from PPM.

Any suggestions, references, directions are appreciated...
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015, 07:55    Post subject:  

hi rc2o2w http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711
rc2o2w

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar 2015, 09:52    Post subject: Clean Install of WINE 1.6.2  

Phil,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Got your Discussion links and did a
quick review

1.) http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

I looked at this a couple days ago actually, wishfully thinking
that I may be able to sift something (.ie Wine 1.6.2 as a PET)
from it but I found it a bit too rich in development talk for me.

2.) Tahrpup, built with trusty tahr packages :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178

Tahrpup 6.0.2 seems a Window Manager?? Would it replace the
Desktop that I have? Will it offer me repositories that have
Wine1.6.2?

3.) Quickpet_Precise, install popular apps quickly :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

QuickPet seems an idea that may work for me?? I look up
QuickPet and find that SlickPet is the Slacko version and I so will
pursue this. My hope is that I will find a complete install of
Wine1.6.2 within it??
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:17    Post subject:  

on the page that i posted a link to ..... all those numbers are links to different wine versions .... 1.6.2 is here http://www.mediafire.com/download/49t5c9o3x3rp99d/wine-1.6.2-i486_v2.2.pet
rc2o2w

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2015, 15:14    Post subject: wine-1.6.2-i486_v2.2.pet
Subject description: MediaFire and the PET file

Thank you again Phil for pointing me specifically to the file that I need. I was able to download Wine 1.6.2 and install the application using ROX-filer. And Slacko came back and said that the application successfully installed and can be found in the Utilities category and that no menu entry would be created. Hmmm....

However, I am happy that it seems that I have a clean install. But I have to wait to see it in action. I am currently pre-occupied with some of my other obligations and have not as yet enjoyed the use of Wine. But I have comfort in that it is at least on my laptop. There are certain legacy Windows apps I want to install and anxious to see them work. I will post my successes here....
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2015, 16:40    Post subject:  

For Wine the latest version is better to use.
It will have the best chance of running the Windows program you may be trying to run.
Do not get too worried on it being the stable version or not.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.

rc2o2w

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:07    Post subject: Tasting the Wine 1.6.2
Subject description: Getting Familiar with Wine...

First I want to thank you both Phil-B and Big-P for your comments and suggestions. Every little bit helps. And so now I have taken more a look at the Wine since I installed the PET and surprised that I must find the files and figure which ones do what....

'Scratching my head a bit' wondering why would the #$%#@ not it be a more finished install with menu entries and a 'howto' guide with it??

Anyhow....

I search and find wine files in /usr/bin and just started clicking on files including 'winecfg' per Big-P. I left the configuration settings at 'Windows XP' selection. and did not mess with any other tabs. The 'winefile' app looks more like windows 3.1 file manager to me. And 'winemine' must be a game?? My guess is all the other files (files preceded with wine) are support, development, or environment related??

Of course, my objective with wine is to install and launch those legacy windows apps. And I am guessing that I can do this from 'winefile'? But as per Big-P there is some 'todo' with configuration because 'winefile' with exception to drive partition that Linux resides, 'winefile' does not recognize the CDROM nor any of the other USB drives, for example, I may want to put a USB to 3.5 floppy on one of the other USB drives.

Again....any thoughts, suggestions, are appreciated...
666philb

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2015, 11:37    Post subject:  

now wine is installed just left clicking on an .exe file will start it and install the windows program.

the install usually puts a launcher for the windows app in /root/desktop although these don't always work, so you'll need to launch the application from the hidden wine folder /root/.wine/drive_c/program files.

/root folder is accessed by clicking the file/home icon on the desktop (top left). show hidden files by clicking the 'eye'

tlchost

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2015, 13:23    Post subject:  

an alternative to "almost learning a new operating system",or getting the latest wine which as it's a pet file takes a lot of space...take a peek at [url]portableapps.com[/url] and [url]portablefreeware.com[/url]

You find a very large collection of programs that will run under wine and have the added advantage of not writing to the registry.
version2013

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar 2015, 23:55    Post subject:  

rc2o2w, you mentioned difficulty getting wine to recognize usb and cd-rom drives.

If you want to use 'winefile' to navigate, install, and launch applications, then I recommend the following:

run 'winecfg' ->
'Drives' tab ->
'Add...' ->
choose a letter ->
either use the 'Path:' field or click 'Browse...' ->
input/type, or browse to, the path to your usb drive when mounted or the cd-rom drive when mounted (e.g '/mnt/sr0')
Optional(?) : 'Show Advanced' -> 'Type:' -> 'CD-ROM'

more information:
How do I run an installer using Wine?
rc2o2w

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar 2015, 14:26    Post subject: Sipping the Wine
Subject description: Sorting things Out

First I am happy to see so many replies on the subject and it is a big help to me. Thank you Phil-B, Big-P, TLC, and Version for your most recent replies.

Since my last reply I have created a desktop Icon and Menu entry for Wine but I have not as yet installed any windows apps nor connected the 3.5 floppy. These things will come after I can get the CD to run reliably.

Right now the CDROM is accessible from Wine and right now Slacko has mounted the CD at '/mnt/sr0'. It seems that if I boot the computer into Slacko without a CD and then put a CD in the slot then Slacko mounts the CD at '/root/.pup_event/drive_sr0' If the CD is already installed and I boot the computer then Slacko mounts it at '/mnt/sr0'. The '/mnt/sr0' is where I recall Slacko mounting the CDROM since I can remember running Slacko Not sure when exactly the '/root/.pup_event/drive_sr0' thing came into play. That is I think there is a possibility that by installing Wine this change may have occurred but I was just not paying that close attention to the CD and so I am not sure if the CD problem was installing the Wine or something else I may have done.

Of course when the CD is mounted at '/root/.pup_event/drive_sr0' it is inaccessible, that is, the files that I know are on the CD are not there and instead a couple other files appear that I have failed to write down nor can I recall their names right at the moment. This is both from Wine or ROXFiler. And now that it is working I don't want to take the chance to find out.....Laughs....But the next time it happens I will copy down the names of the files. Possibly I can command the boot to mount the cd at /mnt/sr0 everytime??
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar 2015, 19:45    Post subject: Wine 1.6.2 -- f0r your consideration  

Hi rc2o2w,

For your consideration: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=814296#814296,

mikesLr
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar 2015, 20:24    Post subject:  

This pet will install Wine to the menu
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=640535#640535

You need to reread my earlier post.

I do not think you did follow what I told you.

In Wine Config
Look at all the tabs

The driver tab
Click on Autodetect so all the drives get found and setup to use.

The Wine web site has a manual on using Wine.
https://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index

rc2o2w

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2015, 13:48    Post subject: Still Sipping Wine
Subject description: And Much Food for Thought

MikesLr!!

You gotta eat when You Drink Right!?

Anyhow, I want to say that was quite an interesting read MikesLr! Thank you for the 'how to'. And I must also say a lot for me to digest at the immediate time. I sort of have a personal as well as business objective to get a smooth Wine going and in the end have some very old Windows apps/games running again....."Is all I can say about That" for the moment and is my drive to use what's known as the latest stable release. Laughs....

But believe, I so completely understand your first edict which goes something like why run a Windows app when there is a good enough Linux app available.

Got it!

But, I question the 'portable wine' that you suggest is exactly the same Wine Engine as the "wine-1.6.2-486_v2.2.pet" that I installed? But with the added features that as an SFS will not fill up my Pup Save File and that it also has all the Menus and Winetricks once installed? Funny, but now that you mention, I had to add another 256M to my Pup Save file within the last couple of days. And now I have a 1Gig personal storage space and but only 80M left. And I have not yet installed any Windows apps. So, if my current installation of Wine is the reason I am losing Pup Save space, then this makes the portable wine attractive to me.

It seems there is a considerable amount of work/time to get it setup?? Hmmm...?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Worries Big-P...

Believe me, I read your earlier posts and you are right I may not have followed exactly your suggestions. I am reading all my replies, WineHQ, Puppy Linux, as well as straight Google search and I will just try something. So I will miss things because I have not yet drawn all connections of things out there and their significance to my objectives. And which is Big reason why I choose Stay only Slacko 5.7 and Wine 1.6.2 right now. Please know that your suggestions are good ones....so please keep 'em coming.....Smiles...

For example, I will probably try the Menu thing that you suggested before attempting the 'Portable Wine' thing. I now have a menu entry that launches the file manager right now. And two desktop Icons, one for file manager again and another for WineCfg....

On Saturday you wrote..

""
This pet will install Wine to the menu
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=640535#640535
""

There is so much to look at that if I saw this link before today I probably just blew by it while looking for something else.....

However, I did edit WineCfg to point the CDROM to the D: drive. Version also made this suggestion. And when I boot the computer with a CD in the drive it works fine. It is just when I boot the computer without a CD in the slot that Slacko may mount it on Pup_event....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil-B...

I have wanted to say that in regarding your original post

""
PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015, 07:55 Post subject:
""

That I when i follow this post I end up on what appears to be
Version2013's website where there are many links to Puppy software
as well as a plethora of Wine versions. However, when I find/click on
1.6.2 it takes me to the following murga:

""
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2014, 22:38 Post subject: Wine 1.6.2 Reply with quote
my attempt at compiling wine-1.6.2[/i]

wine-1.6.2-i486_v1.1.pet _______ puppy 431 | stripped=true | mirrors
wine-1.6.2-i486_v1.2.pet _______ puppy 431 | stripped=false | mirrors
wine-1.6.2-i486_v2.1.pet _______ racy puppy 5.5 | stripped=true | mirrors
wine-1.6.2-i486_v2.2.pet _______ racy puppy 5.5 | stripped=false | mirrors
wine_DEV-1.6.2-i486_v1.pet ____ puppy 431 | mirrors
wine_DEV-1.6.2-i486_v2.pet ____ racy puppy 5.5 | mirrors
wine_DOC-1.6.2-i486.pet _______ mirrors
wine_extras-v2.pet ____________ menu entries | mirrors
md5.txt and hashdeep.txt ______ mirrors[/i]
""

The "mirrors" in the following line is highlighted

""
""

But when I select/click on "mirrors" takes me to Versions' website again. Endless Loop.

When You gave me mediafire I was able to get out of it.......

On another note...I notice that when I go to "File -> Create Directory" the file manager responds with a PopUp Box that says "Not Yet Implemented". Does it stop here or is there an add-on out there that will allow Wine to create a directory??
version2013

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar 2015, 17:41    Post subject: Re: Still Sipping Wine
Subject description: And Much Food for Thought

rc2o2w wrote:

But, I question the 'portable wine' that you suggest is exactly the same Wine Engine as the "wine-1.6.2-486_v2.2.pet" that I installed? But with the added features that as an SFS will not fill up my Pup Save File and that it also has all the Menus and Winetricks once installed? Funny, but now that you mention, I had to add another 256M to my Pup Save file within the last couple of days. And now I have a 1Gig personal storage space and but only 80M left. And I have not yet installed any Windows apps. So, if my current installation of Wine is the reason I am losing Pup Save space, then this makes the portable wine attractive to me.

It seems there is a considerable amount of work/time to get it setup?? Hmmm...?

Phil-B...

I have wanted to say that in regarding your original post

""
PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015, 07:55 Post subject:
""

That I when i follow this post I end up on what appears to be
Version2013's website where there are many links to Puppy software
as well as a plethora of Wine versions. However, when I find/click on
1.6.2 it takes me to the following murga:

""
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2014, 22:38 Post subject: Wine 1.6.2 Reply with quote
my attempt at compiling wine-1.6.2[/i]

wine-1.6.2-i486_v1.1.pet _______ puppy 431 | stripped=true | mirrors
wine-1.6.2-i486_v1.2.pet _______ puppy 431 | stripped=false | mirrors
wine-1.6.2-i486_v2.1.pet _______ racy puppy 5.5 | stripped=true | mirrors
wine_DEV-1.6.2-i486_v1.pet ____ puppy 431 | mirrors
wine_DEV-1.6.2-i486_v2.pet ____ racy puppy 5.5 | mirrors
wine_DOC-1.6.2-i486.pet _______ mirrors
wine_extras-v2.pet ____________ menu entries | mirrors
md5.txt and hashdeep.txt ______ mirrors[/i]
""

The "mirrors" in the following line is highlighted

""
""

But when I select/click on "mirrors" takes me to Versions' website again. Endless Loop.

When You gave me mediafire I was able to get out of it.......

On another note...I notice that when I go to "File -> Create Directory" the file manager responds with a PopUp Box that says "Not Yet Implemented". Does it stop here or is there an add-on out there that will allow Wine to create a directory??

On my website, I use the greater-than (>) character to link to a mirror of the respective directory of files.
Example: to the left of "/wine/1.6.2/" there are two ">". Two different mirrors for the same files.
http://version2013.yolasite.com/page1.php#wine-1.6.2

--------------
To minimize space used in my pupsave file, I symlink a few things.

~/.cache/wine
used to store wine-gecko* and wine-mono* files that wine looks for when creating wineprefixes.

~/.cache/winetricks
used to store the files that winetricks downloads.

I move those directories (and their contents) to somewhere in "/mnt/home/". I then create symlinks back to where they originally were.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Symlink
http://www.linfo.org/hard_link.html
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: