vivaldi browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
howardshippin

#91 Post by howardshippin »

Hi - that link for vivaldi doesn't seem to work properly... gives me an xml file with "SQLite3Result::fetchArray(): Unable to execute statement: database disk image is malformed". Tried also the augras.eu root directory and don't find vivaldi listed among the telechargements / downloads.

OscarTalks

#92 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi 1.12 (stable) is based on Chromium 61
My slightly tweaked package runs out of the box quite nicely in Dpup Stretch.
That is why I uploaded it here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/nzC5YTU93MgVaf?force_show=1
For some of the other very recent Puppies you may find that you can get it to work without too many modifications.

In TahrPup 6.0.5 for example:-

1) Install libgtk-3 via PPM

2) Update PaleMoon to latest version because this has the newer NSS libs needed by Vivaldi 1.12

3) Make sure those newer NSS libs can be found and are given priority. There are various ways to do this, but one easy method is to add the /opt/palemoon directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in first position in the wrapper script /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup thus:-

Code: Select all

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/palemoon:/opt/vivaldi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
For slightly earlier Puppies such as Precise, 14.0 Slackos and Dpup Wheezy there is still Vivaldi 1.9 with updated Pepper Flash here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
Attachments
vivaldi-tahr.jpg
Vivaldi 1.12 based on Chromium 61 running in TahrPup with a few simple steps.
(37.73 KiB) Downloaded 1343 times
Oscar in England

howardshippin

#93 Post by howardshippin »

Well, I eventually managed to install the 64-bit version of Vivaldi 1.12 made by Terry H (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&t=111963), which worked after following the same instructions of Oscartalks for his 32-bit version and modifying the script so it didn't ask for -- no-sandbox.

With the 32-bit version of Oscartalks, in my 64-bit Tahr 6.05, there was a complaint about the wrong ELF class.

I was upgrading from a Vivaldi 1.9 64-bit Vivaldi.
Thanks everyone.

OscarTalks

#94 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi 1.13.1008.44 (32bit)
This starts and runs in Xenial and Dpup Stretch (both of which have libgtk3 included).
For other/earlier Puppies you may need tweaks or additions or alternatively stick with an earlier Vivaldi.
This runs as root. The --no-sandbox argument is in the launcher script.
You can modify this script at /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup to run as spot and activate sandbox if it is important to you. Not really sure if there are disadvantages to running as spot but this was always a bit of a workaround in Puppy.
You may find that Vivaldi 1.12 runs sweeter and this does run with sandbox as root.
For middle-aged Puppies use Vivaldi 1.9

EDIT:-
Also now TESTING Vivaldi 1.14.1077.50 (32bit)
Comments pretty much as above.
Comment out one line and uncomment one other line to switch from run as root to run as spot.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

Wognath

gtk3 libs

#95 Post by Wognath »

--removed by author---

OscarTalks

#96 Post by OscarTalks »

Vivaldi 2.0.1309.37
Based on Chromium 69
Running as root with --no-sandbox
Switch to running as spot (with sandbox) via a small edit to the launcher script.
32bit version.
Only works in recent Puppies because it needs gtk3 and recent nss libraries among other things.
Seen here working in Dpup Stretch.
Repackaged as .pet and .sfs and uploaded strictly for testing
Attachments
vivaldi2.jpg
Vivaldi-2.0.1309.37 running as root in 32bit Dpup Stretch
(20.23 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Oscar in England

belham2

#97 Post by belham2 »

Hi Oscar,

Wanted to ask a question about Vivaldi: In Phil's latest Bionicpup64 7.9.7, I downloaded the most recent 64-bit Vivaldi (v2.1) yesterday, and installed it in /opt, and set the flag in the vivaldi.desktop file with "--no-sandbox".

At first, Vivaldi seemed to run great.

But, then, when more than 3-4 tabs are open (for example, all tabs here at murga), Vivaldi just grinds to a halt. Then, it eventually locks up & freezes.

Is there something else I should be installing in Bionicpup64-7.9.7 to make Vivaldi run smoother? I mean, I've 8GB of ram (just on this laptop) with a recent corei3 chip, so I am not sure what is going on. Vivaldi also freezed up on my big dekstop machines, with 16GB and AMD chips in there.

As comparison, Chromium, Google Chrome & Slimjet all run like gazelles on my machines.

What am I missing here???? Vivaldi cannot be this slow, otherwise people over on the Web would be posting about it. So maybe I need to install extra libs or something in Phil's Bionicpup64??

Thanks.