Questions re installing 2.01 to USB flash drive

Booting, installing, newbie
jeerie

Questions re installing 2.01 to USB flash drive

#1 Post by jeerie »

Well I finally have my USB network adapter going well with the dotpup.

I would like to install Puppy 2.01 iso to my USB flash drive.

I've partitioned it to sdb1-vfat 209MB and sdb2-ext2 803MB.

Not sure if this is correct.

I'm running off CD now and saving pup_save.3fs to the USB drive sdb2 I believe. Or, /initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup_save.3fs.

Am I correct that I would install Puppy 2.01 to sdb1 ?

How do I extract the iso to the partition and should it be done in windows or Puppy?

I can't seem to find the USB drive in Puppy. Root is the CD I believe.

Now you can all tell me how off base I am. Thanks for your help.

raffy

Universal Installer

#2 Post by raffy »

If you start the universal installer and after you choose the USB option, you will be shown a list of drives - check that your USB device is listed there.

Yes, FAT16 format is found most friendly to USB install, but there are now other formats offered by the install. In my experience, choosing the syslinux-to-MBR and syslinux add-on (asked in two other steps) works for FAT16 install.

The install in fact uses the /sda1 (the first partition), although am not sure if multiple partitions is possible in FAT16 format. As I said though, there are other formats possible now. In fact we need to have more tinkering on the options. :)

Good luck.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jeerie

#3 Post by jeerie »

Thanks Raffy.

I used the universal installer and the CD popped out and Puppy was working fine off USB.

I decided to reboot and when rebooting off USB, boot stops with

"Kernel panic - not syncing. Attempted to kill init!"

I popped USB into my desktop and files shown are:

- initrd.gz

- ldlinux.sys

- pup_201.sfs

- syslinux.cfg

- vmlinuz

Any ideas?

Thanks again !

raffy

what could go wrong

#4 Post by raffy »

That has happened to me, too, and I returned to being conservative, meaning

- using a single partition; did it with fdisk in console, making a FAT16 sole partition on it.

For some reason, the multi-partition option in Universal Installer messed up my USB, and I was able to remove the corrupted partitions only with fdisk. Then I proceeded to make it as suggested above.

After creating the partition and refreshing MUT (refreshing only so you can see the USB, not mounting it), format it with "mkdosfs /dev/sda1" (or /dev/sdb1).

There's something to gain if your multiple partition worked, so I did not prevent you from trying. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].