How to update packages in devx?

Booting, installing, newbie
Jerror

How to update packages in devx?

#1 Post by Jerror »

Windows refugee here! I'm trying to build Inkscape on April7.0. GSL and ImageMagick compiled alright but trunk Inkscape requires gtkmm >= 2.24 and gdkmm >= 2.24 -- devx provides 2.20.3. I've tried forcing the build (tweaked configure to accept 2.20.3) with no success; it really can't compile without gtkmm and gdkmm 2.24.

Is there a particular reason that devx provides 2.20.3 instead of 2.24? I'm hoping it's T2's fault, and I can upgrade without compatibility trouble. If so then my problem is one of installing 2.24 without causing conflict with 2.20.3. I'm not sure how to do this. What's a clean way to remove 2.20.3 from my system/the devx package to make way for 2.24?

Hotdog

#2 Post by Hotdog »

Jerror,

Welcome to the Puppy Linux forum! One of our members wrote a little editor just for your purpose. You can find it at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 127#348127 There are other ways, too, such as "unsquashing" the SFS then doing a remake of the SFS when done editing it. The latter commands may not be part of every Puppy. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with April.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

Jerror

#3 Post by Jerror »

Hi Hotdog,
Thanks for the reply! As it is a Quirky puppy, April does not use SFS. the devx package is a PET. I just read up on how PET's work: it looks like I want to use the pet2tgz utility to convert the devx pet into a tarball, then to extract the tarball, then to delete the gtkmm and gdkmm files and .files entries therein, then to move the contents of the 2.24 dirs (those made with new2dir) within, then to run dir2pet to create the updated PET, and finally to uninstall the stock devx and install the updated PET.
I'll try the above when I get a chance and tell you how it goes. Cheers

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

I believe you can just rename the xx.pet to xx.tar.gz
I'm not sure about vice-versa.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog