Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 28 Mar 2015, 13:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Save space when using IMAP mail
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2015, 07:42    Post subject:  Save space when using IMAP mail
Subject description: Configs to stop imap being used like pop.

It appears that the mozilla devs decided at some point that users of IMAP really want to use POP so in their infinite wisdom they default now to synchronise all the mail on your machine (note this is not sync or even the 'for offline use' options). The result is a profile thats just as big as if you used POP which to me totally defeats the object.

I just came across this but reminded me of someone who was having save file usage problems and he mentioned the huge imap folders he had.
Now I see why...seems to affect seamonkey and thunderbird newer than...well not sure of the cut off but thunderbird 2 does not behave this way.

Fortunately this behaviour is reversible but a bit messy to do so.
This page actually gives most of the info so I won't duplicate here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_size_of_a_profile
BUT its not 100%.
Once you have deleted the relevant INBOX file you will find existing emails with images and attachment will no longer show up. To restore this run 'compact folders' on each account...this remakes an empty INBOX file and I assume corrects the index to make it happy again.
Also amusing that compacting automatically has never ever ever worked for me.

Doing this saved about 90MB of space that I did not realise was being used.
It would also gobble up bandwidth on say 3g by downloading everything rather than just the message(s) of interest...attachments and all. I suppose in that case you may wish this to happen as a one off download to save later on.... well you might Smile

Its also possible from that info to disable this mode for new accounts...does not affect existing...something I will include myself in the sfs I use.

Its is a bit naff to me that when you do have space saving changes they are buried and require manual profile deletions.

Ok, if anyone has anything to add feel free...browsers get a lot of attention but space saving and other tips for email clients are less common.

mike
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 19:59    Post subject: Re: Save space when using IMAP mail
Subject description: Configs to stop imap being used like pop.

mikeb wrote:
It appears that the mozilla devs decided at some point that users of IMAP really want to use POP so in their infinite wisdom they default now to synchronise all the mail on your machine (note this is not sync or even the 'for offline use' options). The result is a profile thats just as big as if you used POP which to me totally defeats the object.

I just came across this but reminded me of someone who was having save file usage problems and he mentioned the huge imap folders he had.
Now I see why...seems to affect seamonkey and thunderbird newer than...well not sure of the cut off but thunderbird 2 does not behave this way.

Fortunately this behaviour is reversible but a bit messy to do so.
This page actually gives most of the info so I won't duplicate here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_size_of_a_profile
BUT its not 100%.
Once you have deleted the relevant INBOX file you will find existing emails with images and attachment will no longer show up. To restore this run 'compact folders' on each account...this remakes an empty INBOX file and I assume corrects the index to make it happy again.
Also amusing that compacting automatically has never ever ever worked for me.

Doing this saved about 90MB of space that I did not realise was being used.
It would also gobble up bandwidth on say 3g by downloading everything rather than just the message(s) of interest...attachments and all. I suppose in that case you may wish this to happen as a one off download to save later on.... well you might Smile

Its also possible from that info to disable this mode for new accounts...does not affect existing...something I will include myself in the sfs I use.

Its is a bit naff to me that when you do have space saving changes they are buried and require manual profile deletions.

Ok, if anyone has anything to add feel free...browsers get a lot of attention but space saving and other tips for email clients are less common.

mike

Interesting. So the way you set it up you'd need to use the web interface to run a search in your old emails or something?
To me that defeats the purpose of using an email client - I want offline access to all my old mail.

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 21:06    Post subject:  

Why is it that most email clients don't actually delete an email when you tell them to, but instead they unexpectedly hide the damn thing somewhere you don't know about, so the email client gets bigger and bigger in your OS? I use Yahoo mail, so when I I delete an email I am confiednt that it goes straight to the NSA. Laughing
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 21:23    Post subject:  

It's all about performance and possible minimising fragmentation, isn't it?
- - -
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015, 06:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
Interesting. So the way you set it up you'd need to use the web interface to run a search in your old emails or something?
To me that defeats the purpose of using an email client - I want offline access to all my old mail.

well in that case do so... simply leave as default. Or use POP and don't delete from the server after download only when choosing to delete.
I actually have one machine do this as the backup for the servers.

By the way I just ran a search in body text and it worked just fine in spite of no imap storage also not having the global search database. (which was only 1MB so not sure what THAT was doing)
Thing is these 'speed up' files they have added over the years do not actually appear to do anything anyway like the start up caches...

Purpose of an email client... humm handling 10 email accounts in one place, nice html and attachment handling, filtering and ordering mails, ability to search all mail at once...etc...we have a lot of mail and appears to be the best way of keeping it tidy and to hand.

Well thanks for the debate

As for not deleting...are you referring to 'compacting folders'... the local email database adds files sequentially and does not shrink until compacted which basically rebuilds it leaving out all deletions (as you would with say the windows registry).
As it happens with the original thunderbird/seamonkey IMAP behaviour and the way of restoring it as described here this is no longer happening since there is no local database only the header files.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015, 06:26    Post subject:  

Actually info to add to this thread....

when I successfully imported settings and accounts into seamonkey 2.9.1 from thunderbird 2 (failed on linux worked in windows...not sure why) the original imap behaviour was preserved ie no local storage. Yet in settings it was enabled...I assume there is some other hidden setting affecting this or perhaps the structure of the header files....one to investigate

mike
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015, 14:23    Post subject:  

Yes, a lot of these things have both a global setting and a per account setting. BTW I didn't actually think there weren't other reasons for using an email client... just as there are actually other reasons for using imap.
- - -
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015, 16:14    Post subject:  

I know of the global settings but its stated they only affect newly made accounts but perhaps that applies when importing too ...though the global settings did not exist the older version.... I feel that crosseyed feeling coming on.

Wading through locale support and use of i18n at the moment... thats enough to fill my head with for now Smile

mike
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: