Simple Screen Recorder

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
l0wt3ch

Simple Screen Recorder

#1 Post by l0wt3ch »

This is a great screencast app, much better than any other I have tried on Linux.

Hopefully it doesn't need any special dependencies, because I have so many apps installed already it's hard to know.

Download
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

ebisu

#2 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

l0wt3ch

#3 Post by l0wt3ch »

ebisu wrote:What a lame excuse. Your great app doesn't work. Missing:
libQtGui.so.4
libQtCore.so.4
libglapi.so.0
libxcb-dri3.so.0
libxcb-present.so.0
libxcb-sync.so.1
libxshmfence.so.1
Ok, I'll just take it down then.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

I'm keen to try it as is - any current link? cheers

l0wt3ch

#5 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ok, just for you greengeek. The link is working again.

Apparently it needs some dependencies, though...

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Thanks! Works well for me on my Slacko 5.6 derivative. Its not a box-standard Slacko 5.6 so I may well have extra libs loaded from other additional programmes that allow SSR to run fine.

I did get some error messages at the start but it didnt prevent SSR running:

Code: Select all

# simplescreenrecorder
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.49: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Could not load system translator. 
==================== SSR started ====================
SimpleScreenRecorder 0.3.3
Compiled with GCC 4.7.1
Qt: header 4.8.2, lib 4.8.2
libavformat: header 55.19.104, lib 55.12.100
libavcodec: header 55.39.100, lib 55.18.102
libavutil: header 52.48.100, lib 52.38.100
libswscale: header 2.5.101, lib 2.3.100
[CPUFeatures::Detect] CPU features: mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Generating source list ...
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found card: [hw:0] HDA Intel
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found device: [hw:0,0] HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog
The only issue I had is when I wanted to stop recording I couldn't find a 'stop recording' button - only the 'pause recording' button. Anyway - that worked fine instead of a stop button and the video had saved properly so all good here. Even had sound! Nice addition - cheers 10wt3ch!

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

l0wt3ch, you covered yourself just fine. :wink:

To think we all should boot a pristine environment to know these things is ridiculous.
I have so many apps installed already it's hard to know.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

l0wt3ch

#8 Post by l0wt3ch »

@greengeek: You're welcome!

@Semme: Thanks!

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

I did a bit more testing with an unmodified Slacko 5.6 booted from CD (no savefile) and found SSR wouldn't run due to missing libs. Turned out my derivative runs because I have Skype installed and it contains the libs needed by SSR.

I had previously made a pet containing those libs and if anyone wants it you can download it here
(Mentioned in thread here)

It contains approx 40MB of libs that were necessary for Skype, but one of the files in there (libQtWebKit.so.4.9.2) is 24MB and doesn't seem to be necessary for SSR so can be removed after pet installation (find it in /usr/lib). (I don't know if this lib is needed for any of the fancy functions of SSR - I just did basic recording without any fancy changes to the gui settings)

Bear in mind that the pet was made for Slacko 5.6 so may not be suitable for use on other Puppies.

l0wt3ch

#10 Post by l0wt3ch »

Good job, greengeek!

Keef

#11 Post by Keef »

This is the culprit:
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

Compiles on TahrPup easily as it has needed QT libs and other deps as standard. I did have to use '--without-pulseaudio --without-jack', as they are missing. Runs without devx installed.
Video capture seems to work well, but not able to test sound as laptop has no built-in mike, and I don't have one to plug in (so I won't upload a pet). I'm sure somebody who can test it more thoroughly will be able to oblige.

Pelo

Replace Drec dpuprec (2009)

#12 Post by Pelo »

Links made to drec dpuprec old software by gposil here (no Qt needed)
Sure SSR works fine when installed (Tahrpup and Vividpup).
my video made with SSR Vividpup 6.5 can be seen here, Sure i would be glad to use this tool on older puppies.
Slacko 5.9.3 Screencastrecorder fine too, just install greengeek pet and the two Qt librairies needed ( or better symlink them to /usr/lib)
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 17:26, edited 5 times in total.

Pelo

SSR simplescreenrecorder and Qt

#13 Post by Pelo »

SSR simplescreenrecorder tested in Vivid 6.5. I agree that is the best tool for a screencast of a part of screen (Xvidcap can be moved from place to place during pause).
I don't install QT libs on each Puppy. They are stored in a Qt repository in may Hard Disk linux partition (Sda3) and i use startmount to make this partition mounted at boot. I just symlink them when an application like Simple Screen Recorder, Symphytum, Vokoscreen and so on need them.

Qt will never make my Puppies big :)
Starmount here
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 09:48, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

here is the Debian Package For Tahrpup 6.0.2

#14 Post by Pelo »

I Got it, here is the Debian Package, no dependencies needed on tahrpup.
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#15 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Pelo,

Looking at the Simple Screen Recorder website only, but I have to say the progam looks great. Very nice design. Pity it uses QT and not GTK in the sense that I try to avoid having to install QT libraries, but that's just a choice really.

I'm tempted to copy the interface in a new program, but why bother when SSR is already available. I hope it works as good as it looks.

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Simple Screen Recorder tested Precise Puppy

#16 Post by Pelo »

Packages Debian available, so no need to compile ( that's a chance, no devx to load, and ... i don't know how to do).
SimpleScreeRecorder is a Qt application. So you need to link the two libraries concerned.
Post-Scriptum : I store a set of Qt libs in my computer, avoiding so increase pupsave size.
:evil: When our Puppies developers will include Qt libraries in the distro instead of 3D ones (useless) life will be better for everybody !
" I try to avoid having to install QT libraries, but that's just a choice really. " mcewanw says. No need to install them in each Puppy, just symlink what is needed.
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, Simple Screen Recorder is the best such app I've tried. Using it in MintPup. Great program.

William

EDIT: As the author of the program says, this program is designed to be 'Simple' to use, but in terms of underlying program complexity, this is an amazing piece of work. I took a look at the source code and it amazes me someone can write something as tricky as this - its right up there with the likes of mplayer and vlc in terms of coding complexity, but the user interface makes it so easy to use - wonderful work really.
github mcewanw

Pelo

all screencast apps were missing something, not SSR

#18 Post by Pelo »

I am very satisfied by SSR :) all screencast apps were missing something, not SSR... :( but it needs Qt..
demo, video to be improved
Hum, typewriters don't hesitate to load LIbreoffice ! if you prefer a video tnan an hundred of pages of text, Qt MBs would be a good deal. And much less than 350MBs, perharps fourty, in fact 18 ! And non speaking english people will have a to understand the subject.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 14 May 2016, 08:35, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Why people still ask for screencast recorder apps ?

#19 Post by Pelo »

Why people still ask for screencast recorder apps ? perhaps desktop is not the best section, Multimedia would be better, no doubt about that.
Linux students will take a real pleasure typing some code in terminal, but newbies from windows would prefer a lot to use ready for use (and nice) applications
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

meownplanet still seems down so the download link in first post is dead. Alternative download link here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dk2zp ... gg-0.3.pet

and smaller missing libs pet for Slacko 5.6 (also works on 5.7) here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9dv6z ... bs-0.1.pet