Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 15:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Huwai GPRS USB modem disconnects in 3 ~ 20 seconds
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
uhegelund

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 15:31    Post subject:  Huwai GPRS USB modem disconnects in 3 ~ 20 seconds  

Hi

Have installed Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on my HP netbook. When conecting my Huawei USB GPRS modem the modem is recognized and configured. When I use PGPRS the connection is established, but disconnect within 3 to 20 seconds. A reconnect can be made, but disconnects again rapidly. My supplier is the 3 network in Sweden,

The same setup on a a Samsung box running Ubuntu runs no problem and with no need for user interaction. The fact that a connection is established and that the setup works fine in a different environment leads me to believe that the problem is related to Puppy. Anyone out there with a similar experience? Preferably a solved one Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2015, 19:30    Post subject:  

Hallo.

I have the exact same problem. I myself use one of these Huawei Usb GPRS 'dongles'; it, too, works perfectly on a Ubuntu install. However, in Puppy, mine doesn't even get past the configuration stage. It configures.....for ever, with no resolution one way or another.

I hate to say this, but I don't think you will EVER get an answer to this problem on these forums. I don't know why, but I suspect it's a problem that either no one has a solution to, or else there is no interest in sorting it out. I started a thread on this same subject some months ago, and aside from a few vague replies, no-one really had any answers as to how it could be resolved. Or rather, they did, but it seemed it was assumed that I was a Linux user of long-standing, and used to 'sorting things out' with liberal use of the terminal. Which I'm NOT, being fairly new to Linux in general, and Puppy in particular.....and despite clearly stating that I was new.

There have been several other threads started with regard to these Huawei 'dongles'; none of which have really received any concrete answers.

I wish you luck with your enquiries.....but don't hold out too much hope.

Regards,

Mike. Wink

uhegelund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 08:00    Post subject:  

Thanks for your attention Mike. Dosen´t sound very hopeful.

I read a thread on the subject in this forum before I posted myself. Two gentlemen from the UK discussing. Among other things the settings for username and password and the use of generic settings. It all ended in a friendly conversation about yacting Smile Don´t remember if they ever solved anything, but perhaps it could be helpful for you.

Maybe I should rephrase the subject line to something along the line of "What is the difference between Ubuntu and Puppy when it comes to handling GPRS connections?" . Since I do get a connection, and I am even able to start downloading data, I am pretty certain that the problem lies in Puppy, or the interfacing software.

Otherwise I am happy with the Puppy install. It runs fast on this piece of low powered hardware. Installing Open CPN required some handywork, but oce in place it immediatly recognized my GPS-dongle and started navigating. It does everything I want it to do, except GPRS thingy. I still hope to find a solution since it would save me the hassle of bringing more than one computer when I go boating.

My experience with Linux go far back, but I am far from being fluent in command line wizardry. And when it comes to this type of communication, I am way out of my comfort zone. If you have the choise hardwarewise, and if you don´t find joy in toying around with the terminal, I don´t believe Puppy is the best choise. For simple and troublefree installation I don´t believe that there is anything that beats Ubuntu. Puppy being super lean, on the other hand, does require some handywork.

Decisions decisions.
Plan A: Somehow resolve the problem with the connection on the HP/Puppy box
Plan B: Bring the Samsung/Ubuntu box onboard. (+Bigger screen, better for entertainment. -To bulky for the weelhouse)
Plan C: Install Ubuntu on the HP (-Performance loss).
There is still a couple of months before the season starts.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 08:54    Post subject:  

That discussion you mentioned was me and Mikeb! He's a member of very long standing on these forums; lovely chap.....but even he didn't have much for me to go on. I believe he lives on a boat somewhere in the Harwich area, on the East Anglian coast. My father used to be a keen yachtsman, and that's how we got on to the subject... Rolling Eyes

These Huawei dongles are a real PITA; but from what I can make out, depending on which chipset you have in your dongle, you CAN find the requisite files actually resident on the dongle itself. However, you then need to know how to compile them.....

Way out of my comfort zone! Laughing

As you say, Puppy IS 'lean & mean'.....and it does mean that a certain amount of handywork and adjusting needs to be carried out; yet for all that, I do LIKE Puppy. It rescued my elderly Dell laptop from extinction, and restored it to a useful, productive life again. Its good points FAR outweigh the bad ones; some issues, you just have to shrug them off, and accept that they simply aren't going to work..... And when it comes down to it, I just find Linux is SO much easier to configure all round, compared to Windoze; it is TRULY customizeable.

I rest my case...

Regards,

Mike. Smile

This is mine:-
277.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   52.16 KB
 Viewed   317 Time(s)

277.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 09:23    Post subject:  

I have a E173 to play with...only got so far but using wvdial not PGPRS (not sure what this is for...may only work in the US perhaps like PPPOE...mystery to me)....ie like a modem. Was also on lucid...seemed just a need for a newer driver/firmware.

Only approach is to find out exactly what driver and firmware is being used in ubuntu and perhaps what daemon is running the show in the background...eg pppd.

Thats a fast disconnection so doubt if simply doing some form of keep alive is needed.

Final note... I don't think precise is well supported...appears dropped to me... thar is currently active and phil666 is competent and reliable.

I did not pursue this as I normally would since it was an O2 dongle and I am not a masochist or rich.

mike
uhegelund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 09:58    Post subject:  

Welcome MikeB

I have been playing around a bit and found out that I had been using the default APN. I read the fine print that "icelular" only in Costa Rica valid is. Silly me Smile OK, After finding out that the proper APN for my operator, in a Danish forum I found out that this seems to be a setting for phones and that there also is an APN bredband.tre.dk, so I translated this to bredband.tre.se for Sweden and got connected for a full minute. However, it disconnects as soon as I start to request data. Could be that the disconnect is initiated from the operator. Maybe I should take the cowardly route and get in touch with the operators support.
uhegelund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 10:06    Post subject:  

BTW, mine is an E372.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 10:08    Post subject:  

Hmm still sounds driver related and I never had to set the APN for 3g/three.

with driver problem in my case it manifest as either never getting an IP or appearing to connect but never getting data.

E372 .... ok the one I have working is E353 and was ok with Lucid.
Precise is new enough I would say but may be incomplete.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 10:51    Post subject:  

Hey, Mike.

You've both got to realise that the one I'm talking about (the K3565) is at LEAST 7 years old now. I think these E- xxxxx dongles you're talking about are rather more recent.

My point here is the following: Do all these broadband dongles work more or less along the same lines? I mean, are they 'modems' as far as Puppy is concerned.....or is there another approach I should be considering?

@mikeb: Like I said, Mike, I could never get mine past the configuring stage. It'll recognise it for what it is; but the next stage...configuration...just seems to go round & round in an endless loop for ever...it never 'gets there'. Come to that, it doesn't even give me a message to say it CAN'T be configured, so.....I really don't know quite what's going on there. Not an expert in this stuff, and simply ran out of ideas. Crying or Very sad

Regards,

Mike. Smile

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 13:51    Post subject:  

From my limited experience they all seem to work like high speed modems.... once you pamper them with a suitable driver and its that thats usually the problem including modeswitching for the usb dongles.

mike
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 13:56    Post subject:  

In the following link, you can read about my experience connecting by USB dongle and by mobile phone as modem:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=747421#747421

Philh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 15:31    Post subject:  

Ive used E1550 MF627 and MF112 successfully in Precise561,Racy550 and Slacko570
When you plug it in should say 3g modem inserted configuring
then 3g modem ready for use
click Connect icon
Dialup analogue or wireless modem
external modem
test
yes
Then pupdial starts
tick stupid mode
phone no *99#
apn 3internet
connect

Might be best to rename /etc/wvdial.conf to something else and let it rebuild from fresh.
uhegelund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 15:54    Post subject:  

Hoooorayyyy!

It is up and running! I found the step by step instruction by vicmz (I see that he just posted the link above). I can´t see that I did much different from what I allready have tried several times, but something seems to have done the trick.

1. follow the step by step
2. Attempt to connect with GPRSConnect. Fail!
3 close GPRSConnect
4. New attempt with GPRSconnect, Connected!
5. Anxieusly counting time till disconnect, nothing still after two minutes
6. Turn off WLAN
7. Open new tab in browser and request a page. Still no disconnect-
8. Start to smile Smile
9. Play around a bit, just to make shure.
10. Reboot computer with WLAN turned off.
11. Kick up GPRSconnect. Connected!
12 do something boring and workrelated in the browser. Seems stable.

Now I just have to figure out how to wipe that silly smile of my face Razz

Thanks vicmz for whatever it was you did.
uhegelund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 16:06    Post subject:  

And, oh yes. The only new thing I seem to have done differently was the initial probing for the dongle as a dialup modem. This didn´t prompt any changes in the GPRSsetup but may have worked some black magic that I don´t realize.

If you haven´t done it allready Mike Walsh, give it a try.

The APN that i use is the "bredband.tre.se" . No I will not change it just to see what happens. If it works, don´t fix it.

My E372 must be around 3 years old by now.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2015, 17:44    Post subject:  

Hm! Sounds like there's hope yet.

I certainly shall give it a try, as soon as I can retrieve the dongle. Like a fool, I left it at my mate's when I was over there mid-week. Actually, although I bought the thing all those years ago, we count it as 'his' dongle, since it only really gets used when I go round his. He's a tech 'dinosaur' (his words..!) He can use a browser OK by now, but as for setting things up, and sorting things out, he wouldn't know where to start; I'm his 'official' admin guy & general problem-solver!

I don't need it at home, since we have full broadband here, courtesy of British Telecom. My 'big' Compaq desktop is on Ethernet all the time, and I have a TP-Link wireless dongle which I use on here, my old Dell Inspiron laptop.....works flawlessly on the home LAN.

I MUST admit, I wouldn't have thought of trying the PupDial wizard, since I've always tried connecting via the PGPRS thingy ( I tend to think of modems in terms of old-fashioned dial-up, which was painfully slow); and always got the message about 'script failure'. Soon as I can retrieve it, I'll give it a try, and see if I can figure out the most pain-free method of getting a connection. My mate uses Ubuntu (which I installed to replace a very sick Vista 'bodge-up'); the dongle connects easily in that. Me being me, though, I WOULD like to use one of my Puppy 'flash' installs when I go over his again..!

As soon as I get a chance to try out all this new stuff, I'll report back here, and let y'all know how it turns out... Perseverance usually wins out in the end!

Regards,

Mike. Very Happy

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: