(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Jan 2021, 16:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
PPM2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 18 [262 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 03:23    Post subject:  

Quote:
Could also change the wording of the failure warning then to "explain" the reason of the space limitation to the user better, but I think is too many details that very few care about.
Would you think that it worths the trouble?

Could you provide a example of the warning you are talking about?

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 04:35    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
after the update from 1.9.2 to 1.9.5 i started getting the exiting, insufficient space message. there are over 70 gig available to that save folder on that partition--is there a way to lie to the machine to tell it the truth, or, if not, is there a way to stop it from making the space check?--just as a hack for future reference--i'm not suggesting you make this a change to the ppm. thanks in advance.

further information: i upgraded to 1.9.5, changed the preferences (download folder, download everything, download even if package already exists/is installed), and the next run gave the error message. haven't been able to use the ppm since. this is in precise 572 as a save folder. different machine, 571 as a frugal, same changes produced no problems (under 2 gig left in save file.) it was a download of mixxx 110--i was trying to make an sfs.
Confused

I'm using PPM2 in precise 5.7.2 with a save folder and I see no problem.
It is likely something in your install that does that but without detailed error reporting I can not tell.
Any chance that your precise installation/remaster may have a modified PPM?

Anyway, for start I would recommend to first uninstall any PPM related pets and scripts.
Then remove the contents of /var/local/petget and finally delete /root/.packages/download_path.
Then restart your machine (to clear /tmp) install PPM2 v1.9.5 and try again.

Alternatively try a fresh savefolder.

If the problem persists please report errors as precise as possible.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 04:44    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
Could also change the wording of the failure warning then to "explain" the reason of the space limitation to the user better, but I think is too many details that very few care about.
Would you think that it worths the trouble?

Could you provide a example of the warning you are talking about?

Actually I think that the current warning (pic) is pretty clear, but I'm open for suggestions
SpaceWarning.png
 Description   
 Filesize   19.57 KB
 Viewed   341 Time(s)

SpaceWarning.png

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 06:21    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
after the update from 1.9.2 to 1.9.5 i started getting the exiting, insufficient space message. there are over 70 gig available to that save folder on that partition--is there a way to lie to the machine to tell it the truth, or, if not, is there a way to stop it from making the space check?--just as a hack for future reference--i'm not suggesting you make this a change to the ppm. thanks in advance.

further information: i upgraded to 1.9.5, changed the preferences (download folder, download everything, download even if package already exists/is installed), and the next run gave the error message. haven't been able to use the ppm since. this is in precise 572 as a save folder. different machine, 571 as a frugal, same changes produced no problems (under 2 gig left in save file.) it was a download of mixxx 110--i was trying to make an sfs.
Confused

I'm using PPM2 in precise 5.7.2 with a save folder and I see no problem.
It is likely something in your install that does that but without detailed error reporting I can not tell.
Any chance that your precise installation/remaster may have a modified PPM?

Anyway, for start I would recommend to first uninstall any PPM related pets and scripts.
Then remove the contents of /var/local/petget and finally delete /root/.packages/download_path.
Then restart your machine (to clear /tmp) install PPM2 v1.9.5 and try again.

Alternatively try a fresh savefolder.

If the problem persists please report errors as precise as possible.

nope, none that i can see or remember--didn't touch it at all.

i'll follow your steps and let you know. telling the thing what it wanted to hear would've been easier but...

Smile
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 06:26    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
telling the thing what it wanted to hear would've been easier but...

Smile

If you indeed have more than 4GB save folder/file you can activate the option to skip space check.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 06:32    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

Smile

If you indeed have more than 4GB save folder/file you can activate the option to skip space check.

how? is that a new feature (missed it, if that's the case) or is code fiddling involved?

thanks.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 06:45    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

Smile

how? is that a new feature (missed it, if that's the case) or is code fiddling involved?

thanks.

It was always there. However if you do not have more than 4GB free space in your save file/folder the option will not appear.
If you do not see it it means that you do not have this space. What your tray applet says about the available space in your save folder/file?
What
Code:
cat /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem
reports?
PPM_options.png
 Description   
 Filesize   37.27 KB
 Viewed   308 Time(s)

PPM_options.png

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 06:57    Post subject:  

Quote:

It was always there. However if you do not have more than 4GB free space in your save file/folder the option will not appear.
If you do not see it it means that you do not have this space. What your tray applet says about the available space in your save folder/file?
What
Code:
cat /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem
reports?

tray applet: 132G personal storage, free space 70G

cat /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem:

(it literally says nothing but skips a line before the next prompt).

file is missing?
ASRI éducation

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 07:28    Post subject:  

Hello mavrothal

Sorry, I arrived a little late.
I start PPM2 test from version 1.9.5
I propose minor modifications.

Regards
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/local/petget/configure.sh
line 175: the new UI => the GUI
Code:
Use the tall version of the new UI (better for small screens)

line 199: sellect => select
Code:
To change, type a path to a folder or use the button to sellect a folder. Delete the present path to default back to /root

/usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh
Need to place gettext at top of the script (after version info).
Actually, it is at lines 51-52.

ppm-1.9.5_fr.png
 Description   
 Filesize   64.49 KB
 Viewed   285 Time(s)

ppm-1.9.5_fr.png

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 08:59    Post subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

That is the problem. Is it true even after a reboot? If it is it would appear that your savefolder implementation "confuses" pup_even in finding freescapce.

Anybody knows a way to read the freememapplet_tray output from the command line? Would be a better option than pup_even_sizefreem.

@ASRI éducation
Thanks for the corrections though UI was intentional. Is just "User Interface". In the specific case the correct word would be "layout" but is too long Wink

Latter: @Puppus Dogfellow I know what your problem is with prcise-5.7.2. You need to replace /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs with the attached and will be fine.It contains this change:
Code:
--- a/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs   2013-06-13 17:39:39.000000000 +0300
+++ b/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs   2015-02-20 15:45:28.000000000 +0200
@@ -351,7 +351,9 @@
 free_func() { #called every 4 seconds.
  case $PUPMODE in
   6|12)
-   SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /initrd/pup_rw$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
+   [ -L /initrd/pup_rw ] && \
+    SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep 'dev_save$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`\
+    || SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /initrd/pup_rw$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
   ;;
   *)
    SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /$' | head -n 1 | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '` #110509 rerwin: insert head -n 1
frontend_funcs.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  frontend_funcs.gz 
Filesize  5.79 KB 
Downloaded  232 Time(s) 

Robin2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:07    Post subject:  

I opted to install the update to tahrPup 6.02 and then I discovered that Puppy Package manager had changed and now I have to click a button to get the step by step install which I especially liked.

In general one of the things that attracted me to Puppy from Xubuntu is the fact that it exposes so much of the "behind the scenes" stuff.

I can understand the need for updates to deal with bugs and security issues. But I don't want updates to impose gratutious changes in user programs just because someone else had some time on his hands and thought "wouldn't it be nice if ...".

By all means make newer versions available but keep that separate from general updates. Leave me the option of choosing which user software I prefer without having to forego bug fixes or security improvements.

...R
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:40    Post subject:  

Robin2 wrote:
I opted to install the update to tahrPup 6.02 and then I discovered that Puppy Package manager had changed and now I have to click a button to get the step by step install which I especially liked.

In general one of the things that attracted me to Puppy from Xubuntu is the fact that it exposes so much of the "behind the scenes" stuff.

I can understand the need for updates to deal with bugs and security issues. But I don't want updates to impose gratutious changes in user programs just because someone else had some time on his hands and thought "wouldn't it be nice if ...".

By all means make newer versions available but keep that separate from general updates. Leave me the option of choosing which user software I prefer without having to forego bug fixes or security improvements.

...R

In v1.9.5 use the "Use the traditional non-auto, user interface" configuration option.
Is totally unchanged in looks and functionality and will spare you this extra click that the new UI requires to get you to step-by-step.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 12:02    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:

That is the problem. Is it true even after a reboot? If it is it would appear that your savefolder implementation "confuses" pup_even in finding freescapce.

Anybody knows a way to read the freememapplet_tray output from the command line? Would be a better option than pup_even_sizefreem.

@ASRI éducation
Thanks for the corrections though UI was intentional. Is just "User Interface". In the specific case the correct word would be "layout" but is too long Wink

Latter: @Puppus Dogfellow I know what your problem is with prcise-5.7.2. You need to replace /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs with the attached and will be fine.It contains this change:
Code:
--- a/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs   2013-06-13 17:39:39.000000000 +0300
+++ b/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs   2015-02-20 15:45:28.000000000 +0200
@@ -351,7 +351,9 @@
 free_func() { #called every 4 seconds.
  case $PUPMODE in
   6|12)
-   SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /initrd/pup_rw$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
+   [ -L /initrd/pup_rw ] && \
+    SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep 'dev_save$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`\
+    || SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /initrd/pup_rw$' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`
   ;;
   *)
    SIZEFREEM=`df -m | grep ' /$' | head -n 1 | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4 -d ' '` #110509 rerwin: insert head -n 1

thanks, mavrothal. that fixed it.
Robin2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 12:04    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
In v1.9.5 use the "Use the traditional non-auto, user interface" configuration option.
Is totally unchanged in looks and functionality and will spare you this extra click that the new UI requires to get you to step-by-step.

Thanks for that. I have tried it but it seems to go back to an even earlier version.

The version of PPM that I like has two config options under the heading "miscellaneous" - Ziggy and Classic. (I can't see how to determine what version of PPM this is.)

Classic seems to be the same as the "use traditional" but it is the Ziggy option I want to keep.

...R
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015, 14:32    Post subject:  

Robin2 wrote:

Classic seems to be the same as the "use traditional" but it is the Ziggy option I want to keep.

I'm afraid Ziggy (and many others including myself) thinks other wise.
So you either go with the new Ziggy interface and the extra click for step-by-step, or with the classic interface for no changes.
I small concession I hope.

Page 4 of 18 [262 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: