PPM2

Using applications, configuring, problems
bigpup

#256 Post by bigpup »

If you are having issues with the PPM in a recent Puppy version. Less than 5 years old.

I suggest you post a topic about your problem or post about it on the Woof-CE Github web site.
Woof-CE
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

miriam

#257 Post by miriam »

Bigpup, thank you for your reply, but it has me a little puzzled. I know you are trying to be helpful and not rude, but did you notice that your comment essentially tells me to go away? :)

I have been helped by new posts to ancient threads before, and have helped others who have posted to very old threads. The age of the thread doesn't really matter. If someone has a similar problem then they can be prompted to add more info and a possible solution or workaround can be found. (Some people still use Puppy 3... my main Puppy is Puppy Lupu 528. I've installed many newer Puppies, but always go back to Lupu 528, which was the most functional version I've found yet.)

The GitHub pages for woof-CE are interesting, and thank you for the pointer to them. If I can work out how to post there, I might do so. For some reason buttons on GitHub don't work in my old Firefox since Microsoft bought the site. (Not an evil conspiracy, just a stupid webdesign choice by programmers uninterested in backward compatibility.) So upgrade the web browser, you might suggest. Unfortunately it is the most recent version that works on my old Puppy, and plenty of other sites (such as this forum) have buttons that work fine in even older web browsers. So why don't I upgrade my Puppy? That's exactly what I was trying to do, until I struck this problem with the PPM in BionicPup 8.0 64-bit UEFI. Though upgrading my operating system because a website makes its pages difficult to use seems a little like the tail wagging the dog... my webpages at http://miriam-english.org can be viewed on any web browser -- even ancient Mosaic, the very first web browser!

Please don't get the idea that I'm stuck in the past and am railing against change. I have been working on artificial intelligence (AI) and have previously worked building 3D virtual worlds on the net. At the moment I'm trying to finish my 7th science fiction novel.

So... I guess I'll have to try to solve it myself. If I find the solution I'll post here for the next person who has this problem -- I bet I'm not the only one.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

Semme

#258 Post by Semme »

Hello Miriam,

Just a thought here, but, maybe boot live and replace /usr/local/petget from a "boot to RAM, no save file" session?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

slavvo67

#259 Post by slavvo67 »

PPM2 has some significant flaws and due to the ongoing scrutiny by others, I believe the developer had enough and walked away from the project.

When it refused to accept/install a puppy package, I've had to download the package, unpack and repack it to make PPM2 accept it.

I wouldn't recommend its use unless another developer picks up the project and rolls it forward.

bigpup

#260 Post by bigpup »

This topic was a development topic for making major changes to PPM and testing.
It really should have been locked when the testing stopped.

All Puppy versions developed over the last 4 years are using PPM2.
They just do not call it that.
It is just PPM.
However, the version of it, is probably different, depending on the Puppy version.
Not all problems with PPM are caused by PPM.

This PPM2 topic is no longer about the PPM that is now in the newer or newest Puppy versions.
If you tried to install it into a newer, or newest Puppy version. It would break PPM.

PPM in puppies produced from woof-CE after May 10,2015, is newer than this pet.

miriam,

You are always going to get better help, making a topic about your problem, and posting it in one of the help sections, of this forum.
Beginners help
Users

A new topic about something, just stands out, and more people see it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

miriam

#261 Post by miriam »

Semme, interesting idea. Thanks. I'll try that.

slavvo67, I didn't realise that. It's a pity, because it mostly worked well in previous incarnations.

bigpup, I have to say, I never understood the desire to lock topics. I sometimes comment on other sites where I have a solution to a problem someone has posed and am unable to give it because someone will have locked the topic. It ignores the fact that people visit years later to learn things. You have a point about the visibility of starting a new topic on this problem, though if comments made fit it so well (such as those about the bogus free memory error) then it does actually make sense to comment here as it allows a focused conversation to be had, instead of scattering it over many pages. If Semme's idea doesn't pan out I might do that. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

miriam

#262 Post by miriam »

bigpup, I should mention that I didn't come here by searching for topics on the PPM. I searched for the error message. This page came up and I started reading the pages trying to learn what I could of the things that might be behind the error.

I agree with your point that great care must be used when swapping different versions of PPM, as that could cause other problems.

Also, you make a very good point about some of the errors not necessarily being caused by PPM itself. The particular error I'm seeking to fix was, in previous cases, caused by a different program not leaving the information that PPM needed. That may be the case here too.