I turned off my Windows machine today.

Promote Puppy !
bobc

#31 Post by bobc »

Another part of the problem is that I don't have room on the SSD for Windows, and certainly the HP software isn't going to allow me to reload Windows to the second drive, so that means I'm going to be forced either way to make the SSD the 2nd drive so Windows can be on the 1st drive where it expects to be.

I suppose I have nothing to lose swapping the drives around and trying the windows repair on the new drive, because as it sits, I need to go back to the original Windows drive, anyway to be able to boot windows.

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

You may need easy BCD .... only pain is you need windows to run it...but XP can be used to do it (usb install is handy for this). .net needed..version 2 will do.

Common problem is if you have moved things around the windows boot manager drive info is no longer valid and easyBCD with simply update it to where windows is now seen to be.
This sounds like the problem you are having.

Mike

bobc

#33 Post by bobc »

I used easy bcd from the original vista drive to create a boot on the new drive that it didn't think was there. It at least partially worked because I'm able to boot the drive, but it has problems still with services not running that I'm still trying to fix. Assuming I get it fixed, I'll put the SSD in the 2nd drive bay and have the MBR point to it if I can get that working.

Thanks for the suggestion...

bobc

#34 Post by bobc »

I got it running. Once I had windows working again, I installed the SSD drive in the 2nd drive bay. Then I booted into windows again to make sure it was still ok. Then I booted from my slacko 5.7.0 cd

So my main drive is /dev/sda and my main slacko on SSD is /dev/sdb5

from the terminal booted from cd

Code: Select all

cd /mnt
mkdir sdb5
cd /mnt/sdb5
mount -t proc proc /mnt/sdb5/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sdb5/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sdb5/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/sdb5/dev/pts/
chroot /mnt/sdb5

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
exit
reboot from menu and remove cd

The grub update had many troubles, but then I edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and made a copy of it there to use whenever i need to update grub again

Please note that since I never got bindings for slacko I don't actually know the mountings were correct, and I didn't try downloading and installing grub2 from salix that way, as it was already installed on my slacko partition. I should learn how to download and install it by hand just in case. Anyway, it worked. Not pretty, but it did work.

And btw, if anyone knows the CORRECT mountings to chroot it, it would be real nice if you could post and explain them so when someone else is searching, they will find it here :)

WHEW!

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Ah so sounds like sort of happy now.....

Grub2.... sorry won't touch it with next doors.... have you noticed how much it is like windows boot system now.... imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Vista...sorry its such a behemoth... you might like to treat yourself to 7 at some point...best of the recent bunch. If not cluttered, runs not far off a well set up XP and does not seem to need antivirus just remove IE/express/media player/messenger ... it let me do that.

mike

bobc

#36 Post by bobc »

Yes, I'm sitting here typing on Slacko. That's as big a vote as you can get in my book. I have sat here at least a year trying distros and never getting any to where I could actually sit here and use it day to day, always ending up using the windows machine to rescue my failed linux attempts. And I do appreciate the help from yourself and others that enabled me to get this far :)

Yes, Vista is a pig, but its what came with the machines, and I'm certainly can't pay to upgrade them. The Vista machines are 8 years old now, and not worth putting more than $50 or max $75 into, I'd say. For the big fast drive and SSD combined I spent about $75. Hopefully that will make this machine useful for a few more years.

Booting and running from the SSD, my tweaked Slacko 5.7.0 is booting in 15 seconds from pressing enter on the grub2 menu. Its using 26 mb of memory if I have the pinboard off, or 31 mb with it on, and there are no delays at all that I notice, except when I bring up chromium with 4 windows and 50 tabs spread between them. With all those tabs up I'm using about 40% of CPU and RAM, and everything runs lickety split :)

Under Windows, the performance doing the same exact screens was utterly abysmal, with a 5 to 10 minute boot time and typical delays once things were up and running of 30 seconds to 5 or 10 minutes to do anything useful, and that was with no viruses or malware, and the exact same wifi connect as Slacko is using.

To switch to grub4dos, the problem around here is finding a windows machine that still runs well that can be experimented with, that doesn't have dire ramifications if it can no longer boot windows. It takes a lot of time and effort to reload a Vista machine, like 3 or 4 days to do it right, or even a few hours to do a terrible, quicky job, that you could do just to see if it would boot.

All the linux partitions except antiX, Manjaro, and Slacko 5.7.0 are non-critical at this point. I'm tired after trying 30 to 50 variations of distros getting something to run well for me. I used up 50 dvd's and 25 cd's trying. It isn't that the others are bad. And I learned quite a lot trying to make them work, but each has had some issue or issues that kept me from wanting to bet the farm on them.

Legacy grub has lost many systems on me, but IIRC, I think its lost the linux ones, not the windows ones. At the time I was a lot less linux savvy, so if it didn't generate the lines needed to boot any particular partition, I was toast and had no chance of getting it booted unless I went and begged for help like here, or got lucky searching and guessing. I noticed that grub2 at least found operating systems and tried to guess what they were and tried to guess how to boot them, where legacy grub missed them entirely.

Grub for DOS pulled a similar stunt last time I tried it. Losing access to a bunch of partitions is no joke. You have no hope of getting them back unless you know what to type in to boot each of them, and that was definitely beyond my linux skill level, then.

Do I "like" grub2? No. My review summary would read "The complexity is atrocious to produce a confusing result. But at least it seems to find the operating systems and takes a reasonable guess how to boot them."

IMO, grub2 is not really designed well. The 40_custom thing getting inserted at the end is no good at all. If anything, those manual overrides should be first on the list, or at least 2nd after the primary OS that is creating the grub.cfg, or inserted where they belong sequentially by partition location, perhaps with the generated code for the same partition off an advanced submenu, but definitely putting 40_custom at the end is a goof!

And I don't like how grub2 mis-identifies almost everything, caused mostly I'd say because the distros couldn't agree on what the menu should say for each OS, and where the update-grub program should find that text. I have now gotten around that on my systems by looking at the os-prober code and cheating by putiing things like "slackware-version" files with what I want displayed on the menu in them.

Maybe I need to find a sacrificial machine, load it with windows and some typical linux flavors, and try grub4dos, and see if I can learn to control it, knowing what I know now.

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

Okies

well I never use any grub wizards...scripts or wot not.

To me it centres around the menu.lst and seems like its better if YOU know where things are and what they want rather than some script trying to guess it.

eg to boot xp its

title XP
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr
that boots ntldr on the first partition of the first drive...
works equally well for vista or 7...you just use say
chainloader (hd0,1)/bootmgr

that would boot it on the second partition of the first hard drive.
getting familiar with its basic syntax is all thats needed... you are possibly more familiar with say puppys grub entry with kernel and initrd...
eg

title Puppy 415
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz 
initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd.gz
boots puppy on the third partition on drive one and the boot files are in the folder /boot...all standard unix path usage.

There are other commands thatcan 'autodetect' where things are... I tend to use hard coded paths.
if you have grub4dos anywhere at the boot screen you can hit 'c' and then help lists all its commands...its like a mini bash.

For grub4dos itself you have the file grldr...just another bootloader like ntldr... bootlace.com /dev/sda adds the mbr...it will not touch the partition table so nothing will move and affect say windows vista.
If mbr altering make you wary then you could have the vista mbr and rename grldr to bootmgr...and bootmgr to something else and use that in the menu.

Just some pointers..but I find its much better to get to know these things than rely on someone else's hope for the best wizardry.

What about XP... if there is driver support thats going to be way faster than vista.

mike

bobc

#38 Post by bobc »

I don't have copies of xp or vista that are generic, so they only can load of the machines they came with, so I need to leave them alone. The critical machine and its backup are HP dv9700 17" laptops that came with Vista. I am hoping only to need to use Vista infrequently anyway. I almost never use xp at all, except for when connected to a robot that won't run on Vista.

I do understand that any of these boot loaders could work if I was to spend the time to hand code menus for them for each machine, but with 7 to 15 OS's on each machine and 5 of 8 that get used a lot, it sounds a lot like "work", and I would rather have a tool that builds it correctly for me. I seem to test a lot of new distro code and always seem to be tinkering with desktop setups trying to create an optimally efficient one.

Manjaro's grub2 has performed that function pretty well, but for the slower, memory poor, older machines, its very slow to come up, etc. I also hate to be wasting 5 gb of SSD for Manjaro if I'm not running it normally.

Anyway I still have the SCSI problem with aic7xxx module being missing, and it can't see the hard drives at all, so I have one machine that can't run Slacko other than from the CD. That should be my next priority. It runs fine with most other distros I've tried, so I know its doable, but is a long jump for someone with my limited linux experience.

LOL, but the good news is this message is being typed in Chromium on Slacko, booting now from Salix's grub2 package installed on Slacko, so I'm alive and doing reasonably well.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Okies...well sounds like you have a lot of work as it is...perhaps a little rationalization when you get chance :)

regards

Mike

bobc

#40 Post by bobc »

I admit that for the most part, I actually know enough now that I COULD succeed at setting up grub legacy or grub4dos or even learn to create lilo menus by hand, but it sort of seems silly when grub2 exists.

I found out this morning about "/etc/lsb-release", where 1 minute of effort turns a distro into an grub2 identifiable menu option. I also would do well to learn a better way to use the idea of a boot partition to my advantage.

What I meant was that to do mundane repetitive things manually, to me feels like work. Anyway, to me, finding ways to make new things work or make old ones work better is FUN when its accomplished.

The kernel thing is a very major obstacle mentally for me, but its something I do want to learn. Thus far I haven't been able to get up the gumption to even attempt it.

As for rationalization, I'm sorry I didn't understand what you meant.

mikeb

#41 Post by mikeb »

Too many operating systems..... rationalize = trim down what you have to something more manageable when you find what you really need....make one or 2 provide all of your needs...which I believe is where you are heading anyway.

As for manual boot setting up again its something that should be happening once every year or five with the occasional changed entry...see above :D

mike

bobc

#42 Post by bobc »

Ahhh, ok, yes partly a valid point. On the main machine I haven't been doing any development or testing with any of the others in the past 3 or 4 weeks, since I made the push to get everything working under Slacko 5.7.0, but I've been doing a lot of copying from them, so am not ready to give them up.

The thing is that some of them took a lot of effort and have some neat creations, and having worked my way through 30+ distros in the past year trying to find something both efficient and reliable to replace windows vista with, there have been quite a few that got pretty close to the mark once tuned sufficiently. In some cases they are just tuned/slimmed down versions of things you can just install, and in quite a few others, they are each the result of a week or two of effort replacing or creating a different desktop for some base or another. For example, Manjaro IceWM was pretty good, as well as Manjaro OpenRC with OpenBox/Tint2 and Static generated menus, or AntiX 14 Openbox/Tint2, or Crunchbang or WattOS, or Slitaz 5.0 cooker, or Slackel, or Slackel combined with Slitaz, which took some effort and is very good. Anyway, once you can't boot into them, it isn't long before you forget everything about them, and from there it gets much more difficult to reuse the code or tidbits created or tweaked. I am still taking pieces of different ones and incorporating them into my Slacko 5.7.0 as recently as yesterday, so I need to be able to get into them as long as I want that option available.

This being my main machine, going forward, it probably won't be used for new distro testing, but as you can imagine, I like to have my machines setup very similarly, so things can move from one to the other easily.

Yes, I've run the Vista laptop as my main system since 2009, and can see running this till 2020 if there aren't big changes that push me to some other path.

I'm currently tweaked to where the system itself is needing about 31 mb to run with pinboard on, and with 50 tabs of Chromium running it needs 1.9 gb of memory to do it, and it runs like greased lightning once the 50 tabs are loaded. My conky is getting close to what I want, and I need to do some hot key assignment and menu work, and get things to where I can duplicate it easily from a base CD install, so that once newer versions of the base work, I can implement them fairly easily, and yes, I'd still like to figure out how to get my old SCSI machines to work with it as well.

Here is a screenshot of my live machine with everything running on one desktop and a mem readout...

http://i.imgur.com/fgfiEjm.png?1

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

I won't ask what the 50 tabs are for :D

4 machines here... all have similar setups so as you say easy to apply changes all round.
Using slax base is handy as I just include modules to suit each user/machine. Modularity does make life easier. Shame puppy's ways are a bit clumsy in that regard.

Another thing is to try and keep windows and linux software the same where possible... helps familiarity.... or course there are things that only work or work well on windows and vice versa...otherwise why dual boot.

512MB ram on here plus swap so keep things a little more conservative...1GB on 2 machines does give a little more leg room and easy loading everything to ram.

Though its either windows or slax...there are a few other frugals on each just for ...well fun and experimentation.

to a simple life eh :)

mike

bobc

Restored to other PC, trying to chroot on it and installl

#44 Post by bobc »

I used gparted to copy my /dev/sdb5 partition that has slacko pup 5.7.0 with the slitaz 3.10.62 kernel to a partition on a flash drive. I then booted my otherr PC with the slacko 5.7.0 cd and used gparted to copy the backed up system to a matching sized partition on that machine at /dev/sda9. I then did a ctrl-alt-bksp to get back out of X to the black console screen # sign .

Then I did

cd /mnt
mkdir sda9
cd /mnt/sda9 
mount -t proc proc /mnt/sda9/proc 
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sda9/sys 
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sda9/dev 
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/sda9/dev/pts/ 
chroot /mnt/sda9

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda 
update-grub 
exit 
exit 
Everything seems to run, but it doesn't include /dev/sda9 as one of the partitions to try to boot.

Any guess what I might have done wrong or what to check?

Thanks
BobC

Ted Dog

#45 Post by Ted Dog »

Grub4dos on orginal and regular grub on last post? Also which version of windows? Win 8 and beyond has a well hidden break in hardrive for the super spy boot stuff. :lol: sorry do not know the real name for that 2 to 300 M spot on harddrive, but it does confuse most older versions of bootloaders.

bobc

#46 Post by bobc »

Ted Dog wrote:Grub4dos on orginal and regular grub on last post? Also which version of windows? Win 8 and beyond has a well hidden break in hardrive for the super spy boot stuff. :lol: sorry do not know the real name for that 2 to 300 M spot on harddrive, but it does confuse most older versions of bootloaders.
Ted, thanks for the reply. There is no Windows partition at all on the machine I restored to. I do have Vista and Win7 on the initial partitions on other machines, but not this one, and actually none have been booted to Windows yet this year I don't think.

I am using Grub 2.0, not Grub4dos or the legacy Grub 0.97

What I did above worked on my main laptop that has Vista on its main drive, but the update-grub isn't finding the Slacko Pup 5.7.0 that I restored to /dev/sda9 and I don't understand why it isn't finding it. It doesn't add it to the boot menu.

Ted Dog

#47 Post by Ted Dog »

Really matters what the sda9 uses. Sounds like a mixed grub4dos and grub2 confusion, you most likely have TWO config files now. Only the older one is chosen by grub4dos, therefore the changes never made it. One is lst one is cfg

bobc

I think I see what happened

#48 Post by bobc »

SDA5 on the machine I restored to also has Slacko 5.7.0 on it, so Grub got confused. In the boot file you see on the screen, it has the block id of the restored drive on the SDA5 entry and no entry for SDA9.

bigpup

#49 Post by bigpup »

A recently found bug in Grub4dos config.

If you run Grub4dos config, in a Puppy that is a full install.
It will not give you a working boot menu.
Grub4dos config works OK if you run it in a Puppy that is a frugal install, live CD, or live USB flash.

The fix is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 269#890269

If you like Slacko Puppy.
Slacko 5.7 is lacking many of the recent improvements.
Slacko 6.3.0 has many improvements, bug fixes, and tweaks.
http://slacko.eezy.xyz/index.php
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bobc

#50 Post by bobc »

I'll have to take a look at the 6.3.0. I have been so busy working lately that I hadn't noticed that it came out.

The 5.9.3 didn't ever work (couldn't get it installed) for me, and 5.7.0 did, so I just stuck with it.

I do full installs. Maybe I shouldn't. I added a lot of games to mine as well as a number of tweaks, like the conky.

I forget why I was afraid to use Grub4dos. I think I was afraid it wouldn't handle all the different windows and linux distro partitions I have, so when I installed Puppy, I left Manjaro in charge of the boot, because it had Grub 2, which did pretty well, and was otherwise stable as well. I was happy to get Grub 2 working with the Puppy thought because I don't use or boot the Manjaro much. I'll have to try the newer Grub4dos on a sacrificial machine to see if it will work with what I have loaded.

I use the machine almost exclusively for web based things like email, or playing games, and it has been doing well at that until recently, but I suspect the browser script errors and crashes (with both firefox and chromium) are due to flashplayer problems. I had intended to use wine to run some windows apps and games that I have, but never got any working.

Longer term, I guess I probably should give up and find a distro that is supported, at least browser wise, because fixing those kind of problems is beyond my abilities.

Thanks for letting me know about 6.3.0 and the Grub4dos fix.