#16 Post by mikeb »

From what i have seen an approach like this is all thats needed

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=83666

in your case drop the initrd line and pmedia is meaningless with a full install

Mike

bobc

#17 Post by bobc »

Mike,

Yes, that works, and is essentialy what I'm doing now, but that leaves me needing to install and keep Manjaro there in order to control the boot that runs Slacko. If Manjaro gets deleted, Slacko is no longer accessible. I did it by mistake the other day, and had to reinstall Manjaro. That's how I know its important.

Thanks for the reply, though :)

rufwoof

#18 Post by rufwoof »

Ted Dog wrote:Needs lots of RAM, two different ISOs allow it one 32bit other 64bit
I've tried loading both uncompressed sfs's into/from ram and fast low-compressed sfs's and found little between them. Typically the compressed sfs's are half the size of the non compressed which seems to offset the decompression time. Overall I ended up going with LZO level 1 compression as the default - modest data compression with fast decompression speeds.

I did start with a range of sfs's, one each for Libre, Skype, Openshot ...etc, but found that combining them all into one big sfs suited me better. Once you figure out the best order for those to be loaded (combined) then thereafter tends to be very stable.

I did have a go at looking at whether adding a massive swap file and loading tons of stuff so some of it becomes swapped out - as swaps are single instruction processes, and compared that to conventional disk bound sfs's - but came to no firm conclusions.

Approaching a year of using Puppy now after moving across prior to XP support being dropped, still have my XP partition, but just gathering dust. Once I transitioned from Excel to Libre Calc I have no desire to switch back. Puppy serves all my PC needs. Single small initial partition that I use exclusively for grub4dos, second XP (NTFS) partition. Third is a ext3 partition where I keep all of the initrd's and vmlinuz's in sub directories that grub4dos's menu.lst point to. 2nd HDD for backup purposes. External USB HDD for whatever is taking my fancy at the time.

Generally when I try out another pup I download the ISO, left click to open that and then select all and drag to a new sub directory under my /mnt/sda3, and then edit grub4dos menu.lst to point to the initrd and vmlinuz files in that sub directory, something like

title some-other-pup
root (hd0,2)
kernel /some-other-pup/vmlinuz
initrd /some-other-pup/initrd.gz

and try that. Often it works, sometimes you have to hunt around to find what other parameters to add to that to get it to boot (maybe psubdir and/or nouveau.modeset=0 etc type parmeters).

I don't generally use savefiles - and instead just boot, make all of the changes I desire and then remaster, dropping the new initrd in to replace the original copy of the ISO version in the respective sub directory for that pup.

Of all the pups I have one favourite that I've worked on/refined the most that has become my main daily usage pup. Very stable and runs on all household PC's (includes a PXE server so all other PC's can netboot from it). 32 bit and a older version of slacko based, but does its job well enough for me.

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Ok sorry to recap but if manjaro was no longer needed does anything else require grub2 ...if not the grub4dos setup in pup is pretty decent....and thats only if grub2 was removed for some reason.

mike

bobc

#20 Post by bobc »

I appreciate you trying to help.

Ruwoof is telling me I have to think from a blank sheet, but that means doing it experimentally first.

I lost a machine to grub4dos once. It was years ago, but once I lose a machine to a program, it takes eons for me to stick my neck out again.

I guess I'll either guess a way to chroot, or setup a test machine that I can afford to lose with grub4dos or figure something else out.

Anyway,thanks for trying to help...

Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

grub4dos is a sorry old China plot to take over the computers at its boot. :wink: but that is just my harebrained theory, but read the embedded docs and the original Chinese via translator :shock:

Glad you do not want to go down GrubYourDos mode. I use a booting USB that can boot without messing with windows boot on main harddrive.

here is the grub booting (EFI loader)

Code: Select all

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

menuentry "Start slitaz-rolling-core64.iso" {
loopback loop0  /slitaz-rolling-core64.iso
linux (loop0)/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.53-slitaz64 rw root=/dev/null autologin
initrd (loop0)/boot/rootfs.gz
}

menuentry "Quirky 6.96 (full install on sda3)" {
  linux (hd0,msdos3)/boot/vmlinuz root=append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw
}

menuentry "Start Fatdog64-631.iso" {
loopback loop0  /Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz savefile=direct:multi:sda3 waitdev=4
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}

menuentry "Start Fatdog64-631.iso simple" {
loopback loop0  /Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz waitdev=4
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
menuentry "Start Fatdog64-700b2.iso -BETA simple" {
loopback loop0  /Fatdog64-700b2.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz  waitdev=3
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
menuentry "Start Fatdog64-700b2.iso -BETA" {
loopback loop0  /Fatdog64-700b2.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz base2ram=expand waitdev=4
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
menuentry "Start unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso -BETA VERY SLOW BOOT" {
loopback loop0  /unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz

}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
	fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}
AND then syslinux

default quirky
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg

label quirky
kernel vmlinuz
append root=PARTUUID=c3a75f58-02 rootwait rw

label A
kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw

label B
kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sdb3 rootwait rw

label Q
  kernel vmlinuz 
append root=PARTUUID=00010500-03 rootwait rw

On the same flashdrive both in same fat partition.

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

Ted Dog wrote:grub4dos is a sorry old China plot to take over the computers at its boot.
In that case, I'm glad that the Chinese are helping us folks in the US even with things that you /can't/ buy at Walmart (or on eBay) :wink: :P :P :lol:

bobc

#23 Post by bobc »

Thanks, teddog, thats quite helpful.

Another solution would be to create a boot partition at the bottom of each drive, but thats a huge amount of work,because the drives have lots of stuff and all primary partition slots are used, meaning backups and restores would be needed unless I want to throw caution to the wind,etc.

So,what I did is to find 4 gineua pig windows machines. Two are 98SE, and two are XP. And I'm burning a CD-R of Slacko 5.7.0 because some of them might not be able to read/boot from DVD's. Not sure if any can boot from USB,and since the USB's are so flaky with linux here lately, I'll try the CD route first.

Plan is to boot, use gparted, do full install to hard drive,then try to chroot into it, install grub2, and do the usual grub stuff, and reboot into Slacko.

If I lose a drive trying, its an old one that isn't very important.

PS: all 4 machines failed at running Slacko. 2 were unable to boot it, and run it somewhat, but I wasn't able to install it on any of them. The 4th came the closest, but its drives are fast SCSI and it runs like a wild thing for a 17 yr old computer,but it can't be read or partitioned by gparted and the USB isn't working either. I'm thinking about stealing an IDE drive from another box for it to use, or maybe I can find drivers for the Adaptec 2940U2/U2W in it. I see that neither the SCSI nor USB show any modules attached. I have an even faster Adaptec controller for it and a screaming fast 10,000 RPM Cheetah I could put in it,but I doubt that will help at all. Exidently I need an aic7xxx module to load for it.

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

bootlace.com /dev/sda
adds the grub4dos bootloader.

Then add grldr to a partition and a menu.lst using grub syntax ...done...not that hard really... perhaps you experienced someone's bash script instead as there not much that can go wrong with this process.

I did this when I had little linux experience... indeed you can always use say windows boot loader and add an entry or simply replace ntldr/bootmgr.

This stuff is painfully easy really if approached without bias...after all ANY boot loader needs to do similar things and peeing around with boot sectors to me is obsolete stuff.

mike

bobc

#25 Post by bobc »

So what I did is to order a 32gb super fast SATA SSD drive to boot off of and hold the Linux OS, Linux applications, and a swap partition.

Today installed a big, fast 7200 rpm SATA drive as the laptop's 2nd drive after shrinkng the Windows partitions down to where I could fit them as well as Manjaro, Slacko, antiX and a swap partition on the 1st drive and removed the 2nd. I will maintain copies of those linux partitions on the hard drive, and save my data files to a partition accessible by all on the hard drive.

So, right now, sda is still a physical hard drive, and sdb is the big, fast new one, and when the SSD arrives, I'll just load it from the copies of the sda drive on sdb, and it will be good to go :)

My guess is that will run super fast when almost everything being opened is coming in at 450 mb/s...

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

If using grub4dos, when you get the new SSD in there, you really want to add the command pmedia=ataflash on the kernel line of any Puppy installs on there ;)

For example --

kernel /vmlinuz    pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
This tells Puppy it's not on a 'real' / platter-style drive any more, which will make both Puppy and the drive live happier, longer lives.

(I don't know how bootloaders *other* than grub4dos handle that, because I don't use them ;) but maybe others can help with that?)

bobc

#27 Post by bobc »

Got the SSD, no troubles installing it or getting everything copied to it, It boot the 3 linux distros just fine but windows won't boot anymore.

Not confident I can run on just the one drive + the SSD. Disk space is pretty tight on one drive.

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

Do please remind me what version of Windows you're using?

bobc

#29 Post by bobc »

Its Windows Vista, 64 bit version, came with my HP Pavilion dv9917d Notebook PC.

I'm getting an error from Windows Boot Manager, "Windows failed to start", and it wants me to insert the Windows Installation CD and run the repair. I only have the HP Cd's, and have never had much success with it repairing anything. I am able to reload from them, but that is a multiday process by the time you do the install, then updates, then get and install the apps and then copy the data.

The detail of the error is:
file \Windows\System32\winload.exe
status 0xC000000e
Selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I did some hunting and found some messages relating to a hidden BCD file in the boot directory, and needing to edit that file, the instructions for which look terrible to try to key in.

I used gparted to copy and paste the windows partitions from the old drive to the new, and I guess I would probably be better off if I could find a free program that could copy and paste the MBR as well, but not sure if that can be done from one drive to another, or if it would actually work at all, given that my opinion is that my real problem is a Microsoft copy protection scheme.

Maybe its a blessing that I needed to get into windows this soon to find that I couldn't. To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't think to test that sooner. I should have. I think the problem is really one of moving Windows Vista 64 to a new drive, but unfortunately it has huge ramifications for moving to linux as well.

starhawk

#30 Post by starhawk »

Were it me I'd bite the bullet and reinstall.

Can't stand Vista, tho -- in my case it would be XP (on a netless system) or W7...

bobc

#31 Post by bobc »

Another part of the problem is that I don't have room on the SSD for Windows, and certainly the HP software isn't going to allow me to reload Windows to the second drive, so that means I'm going to be forced either way to make the SSD the 2nd drive so Windows can be on the 1st drive where it expects to be.

I suppose I have nothing to lose swapping the drives around and trying the windows repair on the new drive, because as it sits, I need to go back to the original Windows drive, anyway to be able to boot windows.

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

You may need easy BCD .... only pain is you need windows to run it...but XP can be used to do it (usb install is handy for this). .net needed..version 2 will do.

Common problem is if you have moved things around the windows boot manager drive info is no longer valid and easyBCD with simply update it to where windows is now seen to be.
This sounds like the problem you are having.

Mike

bobc

#33 Post by bobc »

I used easy bcd from the original vista drive to create a boot on the new drive that it didn't think was there. It at least partially worked because I'm able to boot the drive, but it has problems still with services not running that I'm still trying to fix. Assuming I get it fixed, I'll put the SSD in the 2nd drive bay and have the MBR point to it if I can get that working.

Thanks for the suggestion...

bobc

#34 Post by bobc »

I got it running. Once I had windows working again, I installed the SSD drive in the 2nd drive bay. Then I booted into windows again to make sure it was still ok. Then I booted from my slacko 5.7.0 cd

So my main drive is /dev/sda and my main slacko on SSD is /dev/sdb5

from the terminal booted from cd

cd /mnt
mkdir sdb5
cd /mnt/sdb5
mount -t proc proc /mnt/sdb5/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sdb5/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sdb5/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/sdb5/dev/pts/
chroot /mnt/sdb5

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
exit
reboot from menu and remove cd

The grub update had many troubles, but then I edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and made a copy of it there to use whenever i need to update grub again

Please note that since I never got bindings for slacko I don't actually know the mountings were correct, and I didn't try downloading and installing grub2 from salix that way, as it was already installed on my slacko partition. I should learn how to download and install it by hand just in case. Anyway, it worked. Not pretty, but it did work.

And btw, if anyone knows the CORRECT mountings to chroot it, it would be real nice if you could post and explain them so when someone else is searching, they will find it here :)

WHEW!

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Ah so sounds like sort of happy now.....

Grub2.... sorry won't touch it with next doors.... have you noticed how much it is like windows boot system now.... imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Vista...sorry its such a behemoth... you might like to treat yourself to 7 at some point...best of the recent bunch. If not cluttered, runs not far off a well set up XP and does not seem to need antivirus just remove IE/express/media player/messenger ... it let me do that.

mike