Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 04 Jul 2015, 03:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Restore Slacko 5.7.0 full install: How do I chroot?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
bobc

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan 2015, 13:53    Post subject:  Restore Slacko 5.7.0 full install: How do I chroot?  

Background:
I have used Slacko Pup 5.7.0 as a basis to create a system that meets all my needs, and I need a good, efficient way to save and restore on the base system and to be able to efficiently restore it to my other machines. I use grub2 to manage the boots because it seems to find the most distros and cause the least amount of grief to get things to boot. I have failed before with lilo, grub4dos and grub-legacy, so that's why I use grub2.

Problem:
Once i have the partition restored, how can I chroot to is to do the grub-install and update-grub? Currently, I have to install Manjaro and then boot it, and then modify 40_custom to add the puppy, do the grub-install and update-grub on Manjaro, then reboot, boot to puppy, then redo the grub-install and update-grub in the puppy environment.

in Manjaro to chroot I need to

Mount the partition, change to it, mount the system directories, chroot to it, install grub2 to the mbr, then update-grub to create the grub.cfg

Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

cd /mnt

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
chroot /mnt

###edit /etc/default/grub to set graphics mode so the screen is readable
###edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom if needed

install-grub --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
reboot

I know the syntax for those mounts is different in each distro. What is the correct syntax for Slacko 5.7.0? Also, is there a way I could save the text to scripts and run them? I have to type them in by hand in Manjaro.

If I knew that I could avoid needing to install Manjaro to install Slacko, LOL.

Thanks Smile

PS: Its quite a credit to Slacko and its creators that it is as advanced, stable and still as efficient as it is. I have tried at least 30 distros and only a few others made it to where they were worth the effort to tweak and load on more than one machine. Most either had too large of memory/cpu needs, many didn't have the programs I wanted or couldn't do the things I wanted to do with my old clunkers.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: