Bluetooth + streaming for tahrpup 6.x

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Any chance you could let me have the info on how to use obexfs to transfer data files? I've downloaded the obexfs .pet, but of course, it doesn't show up in the main menu, and I've no idea how you actually set it up.

I'd be most grateful if you could let me know. Also, although both my machines will recognise their respective dongles using

Code: Select all

rfkill list
and I have found the MAC address of each one using

Code: Select all

# hcitool dev
Devices:
	hci0	00:15:83:0C:BF:EB 
I'm not quite sure where to go from here as regards setting up file transfer. It is, of course, a bit different from XP where you've got the Bluetooth wizard... The problem I have is that there's no way to put them into 'discovery' mode; not with a physical switch, or something like that.

How can I do that via the software?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

pchan

#47 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:
pchan wrote:Now, if somebody can tell me how to get youtube to send sound to my bluetooth headset, I would be most grateful.
I could not get that to work either. I even changed asound.conf to make btheadset the default ouput, but all I got was static.
Being able to get Bluetooth Headset working with

DeadBeef
Smplayer
VLC

already brings much Joy in using Puppy Linux (Tahrpup)

I also tested the "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" with the latest Tahrpup v6.02 and it worked well.

Don't mind if I cannot transfer files using Bluetooth for now. Your YASSM is all I need for file transfer.

I don't know for others but comparing Bluetooth file transfer and the ability to connect Bluetooth Headsets, I choose connection to Bluetooth headsets first. Being able to connect Bluetooth mouse might be second. Bluetooth file transfer , third.

It is interesting that in Tahrpup 6.02, I didn't need to use the "up" switch before scanning.

666philb has really done a great job. The rtl8192ce WiFi drivers which is needed for my net-book also worked smoothly without any problem. YASSM 2.7 was included so yay!

If and when there is a way to solve Youtube and bluetooth headset, please do keep me updated. But until then, I think puppy linux (Tahrpup especially) is finally becoming Bluetooth ready, thanks to your efforts and others. Also thanks to 666philb and Barry K.

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Any chance you could let me have the info on how to use obexfs to transfer data files?
I am sending you some stuff by PM to test.

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote:If and when there is a way to solve Youtube and bluetooth headset, please do keep me updated.
I suspect that the big-boy Linuxes can do this through pulseaudio.

[Edit] Problem solved by using a custom ALSA config file. Read below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

PeasyBT Bluetooth Manager

#50 Post by rcrsn51 »

Update: This project has been withdrawn due to lack of community interest.

--------------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 14 May 2016, 09:29, edited 51 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#51 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Info received, and implemented. Works like a charm.....so that's one more thing you can cross off the Bluetooth 'laundry-list'!

Brilliant work, as always; appreciated. :)

Regards,

Mike.

rcrsn51

#52 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote:Will be interesting to know if "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" can work with Precise ? Slacko ? Racy ? Lupu ?
The Python+Bluez stack is very distro-specific.

I built a 6 MB package for Precise 571. But there were kernel driver problems with certain BT dongles.

[Edit] I have finally built the stack for Slacko 593 in an 8 MB package.

=================
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:20, edited 2 times in total.

pchan

#53 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:
pchan wrote:Will be interesting to know if "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" can work with Precise ? Slacko ? Racy ? Lupu ?
The Python+Bluez stack is very distro-specific.

I built a working version for Precise 571 out of debs. But there were kernel driver problems with certain BT dongles.

I tried to build one for Slacko but could never find all the required components in the Slackware repos.

I tried a version for Fatdog 63x out of 64-bit debs and got missing symbol errors. I was unwilling to compile the whole stack specifically for Fatdog.
Hi rcrsn51,

I see. It can certainly be challenging if components used by different puppy distros varies from one another. No wonder, even in some earlier versions the same Tahrpup, i got different results.

For now, 666philb has built quite an impressive Tahrpup that can be bluetooth-ready. I hope any future updates of kernels (in my shallow understanding ...) , will not upset the bluetooth headset streaming because as it is right now, it works nice (exception of youtube).

I might be interested as to whether I can connect a bluetooth mouse while the bluetooth headset is connected because I actually do have a bluetooth mouse with me which I bought sometime ago. if i am not wrong, i think more and more they are coming out with those slim ultrabooks which do not have so many USB ports usually.

I did noticed that there is a bluetooth Tahr.sfs around somewhere in the forum. If installing that sfs will clash with the bluetooth headset streaming I would rather not install it.

Any chance, you might do some magic and make it possible for the connections of Bluetooth mouse safely? That would be great.

rcrsn51

#54 Post by rcrsn51 »

A wireless mouse should have its own driver, independent of this project. If your mouse does not work in Tahrpup, that should be reported as a Tahrpup bug.

[Edit] Problem solved. Read above.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#55 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I have built the Python+Bluez stack for Slacko 593.

efrenefren

The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

#56 Post by efrenefren »

i was having issues with org.bluez not being found by dbus but rebooting resolved the issue. [edited]

witekjeden

#57 Post by witekjeden »

Hi.
Please link the PeasyBT v 1.2.
Thx.

rcrsn51

#58 Post by rcrsn51 »

witekjeden wrote:Please link the PeasyBT v 1.2.
PeasyBT broke in Tahrpup 602, so I withdrew it pending a fix. (The problem was never reported.)

I have now posted v1.3. Please report back.

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

Requesting testers for Bluetooth mice. Read here.

This is specifically for Tahrpup.

april

#60 Post by april »

So I am trying to find out what I can use for bluetooth pairing . It is not obvious where the download point for the latest release is , despite hints and links on the first page and above ?

I'm using precise 5.7.1 so where do I download it to try?

rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please see the Note here.

This is a testing package and currently only exists for Tahrpup.

april

#62 Post by april »

rcrsn51 wrote:Please see the Note here.

This is a testing package and currently only exists for Tahrpup.
All your links go back to that post. What I want to know is where do I get
"requires the bluez_4.101-streaming.pet by tempestuous" and can that be used with Puppy precise 5.7.1 or not?

I just want a front end that allows me to connect my bluetooth devices . Can you suggest a solution or two?

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

april wrote:What I want to know is where do I get "requires the bluez_4.101-streaming.pet by tempestuous"
Read the post by tempestuous at the start of this thread. He provides a link.
and can that be used with Puppy precise 5.7.1 or not?
No. It is for Tahrpup only.

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 21:40, edited 38 times in total.

Nym1

Use a bluetooth mouse on an Acer c720-2844 running Tahrpup 6

#65 Post by Nym1 »

Hello,

Tahrpup 6.x may be used with a bluetooth mouse on an Acer c720-2844 if one installs the packages/files listed below:

1) AthrBT_0x11020000.dfu firmware. It is included in the "linux-firmware" package that one may download/install via the "Puppy Package Manager".

(dmesg had shown:
"Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
usb 2-4: Direct firmware load failed with error -2
usb 2-4: Falling back to user helper
Bluetooth: Patch file not found ar3k/AthrBT_0x11020000.dfu
Bluetooth: Loading patch file failed
ath3k: probe of 2-4:1.0 failed with error -2")

(The firmware package is huge. Just download, unpack and copy ar3k/AthrBT_0x11020000.dfu to /lib/firmware for the c720-2844)

2) The “bluez_4.101-streaming.pet