Bluetooth + streaming for tahrpup 6.x

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
pchan

#31 Post by pchan »

tempestuous wrote: But you should be able to "hard-code" the smplayer configuration file - open /root/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini in Geany, and find the line that starts with -

Code: Select all

driver\audio_output=...
change it to -

driver\audio_output="alsa:device=bluetooth"
Make sure you include the quotation marks. Save.
Thanks tempestuous

This Worked perfectly! Smplayer can now play through my bt headset! so nice!
Your tutorial in the first post was helpful and easy to follow. Maybe, someone may need the magic "up" "down" "reset" switches.
rcrsn51 wrote: In the post here there is an asound.conf with some "default" sections. It may work better for you. ...

btrepair.
Thanks rcrn51, I added the default card 2 in my asound.conf.

I have also created the btrepair script in /root/my-applications/bin/

With both your help ..... now, I am able to enjoy my Bluetooth Headset in puppy Tahrpup,

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan: Here is one more question. If you run your WiFi and BT streaming audio at the same time, is there any interference? Does that btcoexist package have any value?

pchan

#33 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: Here is one more question. If you run your WiFi and BT streaming audio at the same time, is there any interference? Does that btcoexist package have any value?

I didn't sense any interference. In fact, while watching a short movie using my Bluetooth Headset, I was downloading a 70 mb file. I also did some browsing with palemoon browser.

So, I guess there is no interference.

About the "btcoexist" I followed your latest instructions and didn't use anything other than "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet."

Sorry, i know you went through all the troubles to get me the "btcoexist" but the "up" thing from tempestuous did the trick. The "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" which tempestuous mentioned was from you, actually detected my inbuilt Bluetooth correctly and was able to let bluetooth coxist with my wifi.

You have been a great help once again. Thanks.

How I wish, the bluetooth capability will become standard feature for all the new puppy linux so new users don't have to struggle so much. It was fun though to get our hands dirty as long as there is a good puppy developer guiding you. If I mess around by myself, i would have easily messed everything up.

ONE LAST THING TO ADD :

I tried again to install "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" in LxTahr 14.12 no pae (based on tahrpup 6.0CE I think) and confirm that ... somehow my Bluetooth headset was refused connections. Why ... I don't know. As far as Tahrpup 6.01 no pae (testing) is concern, "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" continued to work without problem with my Bluetooth headset.

Will be interesting to know if "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" can work with
Precise ?
Slacko ?
Racy ?
Lupu ?

(Hope others who are using these other flavors of Puppy Linux will report their experiences with "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" if they own a Bluetooth headset. It will be helpful.)

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

For information about the PeasyBT Bluetooth Manager, go here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 17 Aug 2015, 23:39, edited 7 times in total.

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

Would that tool and instructions be a 2-way transfer ability or one-way ability?
And, assuming the script works in FATDOG, are the instructions steps the same?

Interested :idea:

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:Would that tool and instructions be a 2-way transfer ability or one-way ability?
rcrsn51 wrote:However, it needs testing.
How can I answer questions about something that has not yet had an actual test with a phone?
And, assuming the script works in FATDOG, are the instructions steps the same?
See above.

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you are interested, post a message and I will provide some instructions.
I understand.

pchan

#38 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:How to Transfer Files using Bluetooth

This package is a companion to tempestuous' bluez_4.101-streaming.pet. It contains the tools for performing file transfers between Puppy and a remote BT device like a phone. However, it needs testing.

If you are interested, post a message and I will provide some instructions.
rcrsn51,

Yes, i am interested but hope it will not upset my headset connections which for the moment takes priority.

It is definitely a plus point to be able to transfer files wireless ly in places where I cannot file share through samba because I am not connected to the same wifi router.

BTW, I am also enjoying your peasyWifi. A great tool which i am still trying out.

rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan: I am sending you a PM.

pchan

#40 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: I am sending you a PM.
I installed the pet

Click on the Bluetooth icon on the tray.

Started bt file manager.

Click on check > a window open and close rapidly.

Click on make discoverable > a window open up and wait for pairing 0000

On mobile phone, started Bluetooth searching for device > could not find puppy.

Search several times more but no puppy.

On puppy , click on scan for devices > a window open and scanning ... Then closes without finding anything (mobile phone was set discoverable for 1 hour. )

So, no luck in getting it to work yet.

Thanks for the efforts.

EDIT

just realized that I might be doing it wrong.

I installed BT file manager only, the pet you sent me. Should I also install the obexfs.. pet??? It would make sense if the pet you sent me is only for easy management and configuring. The real tool for file transferring is the obexfs...pet.

I'll try again later tonight.

EDIT :

Installed obexfs_tahrpup-0.11.pet
Started peasy bt file manager

Result : Mobile cannot find puppy / puppy cannot find mobile
(Also tried the bring device up - but no go)

Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

I don't know if I'm correct in this assumption, but..... I have a pair of these Cambridge Silicon Radio Dongles, which I was using to transfer files between the Compaq & the Dell lappie under the 'buntu's, BEFORE I discovered Samba. Since I don't have any other Bluetooth devices, they're kind of redundant now.

IF these are the same device, then they certainly DO support audio streaming. To quote from the back of the packaging:

".....
*) Supporting profiles: networking, dial-up, fax, lan access & headset....
*) Symbol rate: 3MBps....
*) Receiving/sending range: 100m...
*) Wireless connect to bluetooth devices such as mobile phones, pda or pc for data transfer, etc....
*) Enabled wireless connection to bluetooth headset....
*) Supports bluetooth voice data....."

Thought you might be interested. As I said, though, since discovering Samba, for me, at least, they're now redundant.....it's just SO much faster and easier! I shall keep them for when I upgrade my phone again. I WILL get a Bluetooth-enabled model next time... And who knows; I might even get MYSELF a bluetooth headset, and follow the instructions in this thread..!

Regards,

Mike.
Attachments
Dongle.jpg
(7.85 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 17:44, edited 3 times in total.

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

As a test, I set up Bluetooth filesharing between two Puppy machines using Tahrpup and external USB dongles. I was surprised at how SLOW it was. It would have almost been faster to email the files between the machines!

I suppose that the BT method would be useful to people who want to download files off their phones through FTP. But so far, I have not seen a successful test of this procedure.

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have to agree with you. I first got hold of them when both machines were running XP, at least 2 years ago now.

To transfer a 10 MB file took, I think, somewhere in the range of nearly 45-50 secs; it's not at all quick. I can pull that same file across the home LAN, from the Compaq to the Dell, using Samba, in about 5 secs or so..!

I think like pchan says, it's only vaguely useful when you're not on the same network, and can't use Samba.

Regards,

Mike.

pchan

#44 Post by pchan »

I am very happy because now I can get sound to stream to my Bluetooth Headset using "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" in Tahrpup 6.01 no pae (testing folder version).

VLC works
SMplayer works

Now, if somebody can tell me how to get youtube to send sound to my bluetooth headset, I would be most grateful.

I am using palemoon browser that came along with Tahrpup with flashplayer 10.

Sound is ok with plugged in headphone or built in speakers.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote:Now, if somebody can tell me how to get youtube to send sound to my bluetooth headset, I would be most grateful.
I could not get that to work either. I even changed asound.conf to make btheadset the default ouput, but all I got was static.

[Edit] I finally got this to work in Youtube with Flash. Read below. But it would NOT work for me with HTML5 video.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Any chance you could let me have the info on how to use obexfs to transfer data files? I've downloaded the obexfs .pet, but of course, it doesn't show up in the main menu, and I've no idea how you actually set it up.

I'd be most grateful if you could let me know. Also, although both my machines will recognise their respective dongles using

rfkill list
and I have found the MAC address of each one using

# hcitool dev
Devices:
	hci0	00:15:83:0C:BF:EB 
I'm not quite sure where to go from here as regards setting up file transfer. It is, of course, a bit different from XP where you've got the Bluetooth wizard... The problem I have is that there's no way to put them into 'discovery' mode; not with a physical switch, or something like that.

How can I do that via the software?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mike.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

pchan

#47 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:
pchan wrote:Now, if somebody can tell me how to get youtube to send sound to my bluetooth headset, I would be most grateful.
I could not get that to work either. I even changed asound.conf to make btheadset the default ouput, but all I got was static.
Being able to get Bluetooth Headset working with

DeadBeef
Smplayer
VLC

already brings much Joy in using Puppy Linux (Tahrpup)

I also tested the "bluez_4.101-streaming.pet" with the latest Tahrpup v6.02 and it worked well.

Don't mind if I cannot transfer files using Bluetooth for now. Your YASSM is all I need for file transfer.

I don't know for others but comparing Bluetooth file transfer and the ability to connect Bluetooth Headsets, I choose connection to Bluetooth headsets first. Being able to connect Bluetooth mouse might be second. Bluetooth file transfer , third.

It is interesting that in Tahrpup 6.02, I didn't need to use the "up" switch before scanning.

666philb has really done a great job. The rtl8192ce WiFi drivers which is needed for my net-book also worked smoothly without any problem. YASSM 2.7 was included so yay!

If and when there is a way to solve Youtube and bluetooth headset, please do keep me updated. But until then, I think puppy linux (Tahrpup especially) is finally becoming Bluetooth ready, thanks to your efforts and others. Also thanks to 666philb and Barry K.

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Any chance you could let me have the info on how to use obexfs to transfer data files?
I am sending you some stuff by PM to test.

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote:If and when there is a way to solve Youtube and bluetooth headset, please do keep me updated.
I suspect that the big-boy Linuxes can do this through pulseaudio.

[Edit] Problem solved by using a custom ALSA config file. Read below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

PeasyBT Bluetooth Manager

#50 Post by rcrsn51 »

Update: This project has been withdrawn due to lack of community interest.

--------------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 14 May 2016, 09:29, edited 51 times in total.