Introducing Just-Lighthouse64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#286 Post by gcmartin »

Not a biggie and certainly DOES NOT affect system operation: On the background desktop app shown in the screen @James C I like the info it shows. BUT, I can see it was developed for a PC using a Quad-CPU, WHILE his running CPU is a dual. Is there any way to make it adaptable to match the actual CPU on the system?

Again, this visual reporting has NO system impact.

Dry Falls

#287 Post by Dry Falls »

The sidebar configuration (<superkaramba) is, unfortunately, only configurable manually by editing two files:
  • position: /root/.superkaramba/sidebar.rc and
    configuration: /root/.kde/share/apps/superkaramba/themes/sidebar/Sidebar.theme (comment out cpu entries, for ex)
For other than openbox wm, you would go to the directory for your wm:Lxbar for lxde, Xbar for xfce, and themes/Fed-bar for kde desktop.

A gui script would be nice, but that's way beyond my level of incompetence.

@James C, the confusion of operating system and version number in your stats is because I neglected to change /etc/issue.net, which should read 'Just-Lighthouse64 6.03' rather than 'Just-Lighthouse64 6.02 B2'.

The problem with the booting and excessive errors in dmesg was not the boot sector but a symlink from /etc/udev to /lib/udev was overwritten in a recent remaster. I've fixed this and uploaded the new iso last night.

/etc/issue.net still needs changed. Also, I don't know yet why PSI is reporting glibc=2.15 instead of 2.17. When I find out, I'll issue a patch.

The first law of physics is the conservation of mas/energy. ie:
"There will always be bugs"

df

gcmartin

#288 Post by gcmartin »

OK, latest download, checksum validated, DVD created from ISO via PBUrn.

DELL 1GB Intel Pentium Core2 with pre-UEFI (old standard) BIOS

Booted to desktop using boot option #3 and allow system to take the defaults all the way to desktop and FirstRUN. Same results as before.

Next test, Booted to desktop using boot option #2, this time, instead of option #3. Boot parms changed from "pfix=ram" to

Code: Select all

pfix=ram,sfscfg,nocopy,pure64
When NO SFSs were selected,system advances all the way to desktop and FirstRUN.

Next test, Booted to desktop using boot option #2, with same pfix options show in above test. If I take ANY 1 out of 4, 2 out of 4,or 3 out of 4, the system WILL NOT BOOT and instead will loop trying to start various devices (i.e. eth0) or system files.

Thus on this 1GB Intel desktop, this, SFS processing selections, is a problem. I have not tried the SFS management because RAM is NOT a problem.

Some further research and documentation to user(s) may need be done so others understand this restriction on defaults in the ISO.

I will test this on the DELL AIO UEFI to report if similar issues result. This should show if it is a general issue in SFS processing of those enclosed, or if it is a RAM related issue.

Dry Falls

sfsload

#289 Post by Dry Falls »

just to illustrate some background,
Tazoc wrote:copy copy .sfs files into ram.
nocopy prefer not to copy .sfs files into ram
sfsauto Skip prompt and auto-load current SFS list
sfscfg Configure SFS at boot without prompting first
nosfs Skip prompt and don't load any .sfs add-ons

Examples:

pfix=sfsauto Skip prompt and auto-load .sfs files
pfix=ram,sfsauto,copy Clean boot, skip prompt, auto-load .sfs into RAM
pfix=ram,sfscfg Clean boot, launch .sfs configuration
pfix=ram,nosfs Clean boot, don't load any .sfs add-ons
why would you pfix=sfcfg ? Just to save 5 seconds? The benefit of those five seconds is that you can make changes there, like mnt instead of copy sfs to ram. The system will remember your choice if you save session.

Grub menu 2 is just pfix=ram, menu 3 is pfix=ram,copy. Just-Lighthouse copies to ram by default. Other puppies mount for boot-speed. That default launches from the initrd, so nocopy is appropriate, but at the 5 second pause, you can specify mount instead and the system, again, will remember for future boots. That's for running live cd/dvd, where you can't edit grub.cfg and make it permanent (my case is cd-readonly).

Can you clarify the business of looping? Is that before you get a desktop?

Booting legacy (no uefi) uses isolinux.cfg instead of grub, but the effect should be the same. Not having such a machine, I can't test it. But I haven't been able to reproduce your problem with uefi boot. As for freezing or looping before xwin loads, shut off the power and then try it. Probably best to not even use reboot, especially when testing.

If the system starts going crazy after the desktop loads and first run doesn't appear, that is ddcprobe. Type in a terminal

killall ddcprobe
and that will stop it. This occurs very rarely (crossing fingers, I haven't experienced it at all in later versions of JL64) but was a problem in the older Lighthouse. Not sure why but gparted check disk and POWEROFF cured it for me.

df

James C

#290 Post by James C »

Another frugal install, working well so far.

For Console QuickStart type-> phelp <Enter>  Software versions-> ver <Enter>
<root> ~
bash-4.2# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Just-Lighthouse64, version 603

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 evdev exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

#free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       4041736      1769588      2272148       388668       121744
-/+ buffers:            1647844      2393892
Swap:     12498496            0     12498496

-Computer-
Processor		: 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory		: 4041MB (547MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Puppy Linux
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon Jun 22 00:41:27 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

gcmartin

#291 Post by gcmartin »

Addon-update to prior post:
  • Tested on Dell AIO with boot parms on pfix do not cause the looping seen on 1GB Intel PC.
  • Clarify:
    • all pfix parms entered by editing ("e") during bootsplash for a particular line selection (line 2 offered best for these tests)
    • The sfscfg parm was used as I was having trouble responding within the the 5 second interval if I wasn't watching the screen carefully.
    • Looping occurs after system has ployed thru its settings and seemingly is occurring prior to where it tries to present desktop. I will try to capture some of what occurs.
    • "Reboot" only means I stop the system for the next test. No save-sessions are done during any of these tests.

Dry Falls

#292 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks, gc. For a while I had pfix=ram as the only boot parameter in menu 3. I put pfix=ram,copy back because that's the way Tazoc had it, but then he had copy to ram disabled in the init in LH64-602b. I think you're right and pfix=ram is correct for this setup.

Meanwhile, I've added a delta-patch to gdrive:
  • JL64-603.sfs___JL64-603.sfs.delta ... size=8.46M
available in the JL64-603 directory. It fixes a discrepency with udev version and upgrades udev_solibs to 2.17.
To go with this, Ive also fixed Devx-JL64_603 and uploaded it.

The next change will be to take 2_SysdUdev-x86_64 off the iso, since it is now almost totally unnecessary except to run kdepim-4.10.5-x86_64-1.sfs (kde personal information manager) and gnome disk utility. Maybe a few other things I don't personally use, but at least the option is there.

df

20150623: more fixes
JL64_patch-0.4.1.pet (439K) added to gdrive. updates busybox & Rox-Filer configs
initrd.xz rebuilt with glib update/busybox to jive with Delta file and patch. Same repo.
dillo-fix.pet same repo

charbaby66

JLH64 version 603

#293 Post by charbaby66 »

forgive me but I can't find the 603 files in the link from the 1st post,

thank you @ally for the mirrors

I am unclear as to if Mariner is needed, where it is, and what if any of
the patches found on that gdrive link in 1st post are needed

I am going to try to install from ally's mirror shortly

thank you for all the hard work.. tazoc's LHP has been a part of
my kennel for a long time, but I am now just back up with a 64bit
rig and testing 64bit isos.

i look forward to trying this version.

edoc

#294 Post by edoc »

The link to gdrive for the v.603 downloads is missing from Page 1 of this thread.

Not sure why but am guessing that will be resolved shortly ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603