Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 04 Mar 2015, 20:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
[SOLVED] Which Puppy for Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 14:41    Post subject:  [SOLVED] Which Puppy for Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM  

I need advise on choice of distro:

I got a old machine Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM/ 16gb HDD; working nicely; booting normally. Currently using windows, very slow and takes looong time to respond. Want to put Linux on this for obvious reasons.

Which distro is recommend for this spec? I am thinking of Lxpup, but not sure if this works properly.

Then upgrading the RAM on this machine is very complicated. We need to open the machine and take the guts out to reach the RAM. So, I prefer to use the machine just as it is, with the linux.

If you suggest couple of distros, I will put those on a little stick to compare them.
Thanks in adv for your advise

Last edited by mekalu2k4 on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 16:34    Post subject:    

Hi...

I don't know anything about LxPup since I've never used it but one version you can try is Wary 5.5. This particular version is designed for systems that have even lower specs than the norm. However, it does use an older kernel, 2.6.32.59. You can also take a look at LegacyOS, even though it was designed for Pentium III's. You can download the different versions of that here. Smile

Also, some years ago there was a version made specifically for your system, called Puppeee, however, I couldn't recommend at this point because of its age and getting newer software to work with it. Sad

Others may chime in with their own suggestions...

Hope this helps...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
solo

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 17:09    Post subject:  

Really too bad your eeepc doesn't have an easy access panel for the RAM slot. Here's the link for Puppeee at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

I have it running from an SD card, and it works fine. You can always run another distro from usb.
I run Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on it sometimes, but I must admit that my eeepc has 2GBs of RAM. But it also ran fine on 512MB.

I suppose that if you keep your safe file trim and small, make clever use of SFS files to load or unload programs as needed, and not entertain any unrealistic expectations concerning the capabilities of your machine (like opening a lot of programs simulaneously), that 512MB can go a long way.

So that's my advice really. Keeping a trim safe file.

edit: I just discovered the Slacko5.7-2015 distro from 8Geee, which is specifically designed for the eeepc, and very recent. I haven't tried it yet myself, but it sure worth to take a look:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97110
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 18:14    Post subject:  

Thanks, Solo, I didn't know where later versions of Puppeee were located. Smile

Regards...
mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 21:03    Post subject: Asus eee pc 701 SD/ upgraded to 1gb ram
Subject description: Compiz-puppy 14.10 is working fine

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the suggestion. I did not get the machine last few days, as it was not mine really. Somehow, my neighbor and owner of the Asus-eee-pc-701 SD found that it is very easy to upgrade RAM. He could get 1gb RAM stick from one of our friends from junked machine. So, this Asus-eee-pc-701 with 1gb ram came to me [who is the defacto linux guru here in my country - ahahaha] and tried with my USB stick with several ISOs.

Compiz-pup 14.10 worked flawlessly. So, I installed into the 16gb HDD successfully and the machine is working fine. I have added libre office on that. He is enjoying youtube, reading news - it is doing all the things normal. Snappy too. Not sure how the small machine can be so fast?

So, my original question - what distro is good for 512mb; is answered by you guys. But I did not get a chance at all to test them out. By the time I got the machine, it is already upgraded to 1gb.

Thanks again.
ardvark

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 21:25    Post subject: Re: Asus eee pc 701 SD/ upgraded to 1gb ram
Subject description: Compiz-puppy 14.10 is working fine

mekalu2k4 wrote:
Thanks again.

You're welcome. If you would, if you consider this question resolved, please mark this thread as "SOLVED" by editing the subject line of your initial post. Thanks! Smile

Regards...
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 22:36    Post subject: Re: Which Puppy for Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM/ 16gb HDD  

mekalu2k4 wrote:
I need advise on choice of distro:

I got a old machine Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM/ 16gb HDD; working nicely; booting normally. Currently using windows, very slow and takes looong time to respond. Want to put Linux on this for obvious reasons.

I run puppy 528 and a "frugalish install" on an external USB hard drive on my 701. It works well.
mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan 2015, 23:08    Post subject: puppy 528
Subject description: is it better than compizpup?

why u keep OS on usb? is it to run on live mode? this model has internal hard drive, so OS can be installed on that drive
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 11:38    Post subject: Re: puppy 528

mekalu2k4 wrote:
why u keep OS on usb? is it to run on live mode? this model has internal hard drive, so OS can be installed on that drive

Who was that question aimed at?

I will answer for me. I can add SFS files to the USB hard drive with my desktop. There are links to /mnt/home so that the ID of the drive doesn't matter.
mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 11:51    Post subject: thanks a lot for the answer
Subject description: advantage of keeping the OS on usb

thanks a lot for the answer. This approach of keeping the OS on USB helps me in a long way. Sometimes, to get answers for simple tasks we need to read a lot.
solo

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 07:27    Post subject: Re: puppy 528

mekalu2k4 wrote:

Mainly because of the fact that the internal hard drive is an SSD soldered onto the main board. SSD's by nature can perform a finite amount of write actions. That in itself is not a very big deal, most storage media is designed that way, however, these little machines already have had a history of extensive use. If the SSD wasn't soldered onto the main board, one could simply replace the SSD once it failed, but in this case, you are stuck with a useless SSD.
Since Puppy loads itself into RAM at boot-up, there really isn't any reason, performance-wise, why I shouldn't load it from USB or SD-card. And when upgraded with sufficient RAM, there isn't any need for a swap partition either, so the SSD doesn't actually need to be used at all.

I'll admit it does sound a bit weird. Not using the SSD in order for it to stay useful, but it's a comfort for me knowing that should the occasion arise, that there is still an SSD in there which is in good working order.
And also there's this weird mental thing I have that, because it is soldered on the main board, it should stay intact, because in my head, that means the machine is healthy.

See?! Smile
mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:25    Post subject: thanks a lot for the answer
Subject description: nice explanation

thanks a lot for the elaborate answer with nice explanation. Seems there are many ways of using the machines, OS distros. So far I am confined to standard installation of linux. When I switched to frugal, it is like a different world, but slowly I am learning.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 13:24    Post subject:  

@Solo and mekalu2k4. I used to own a 701SD.

The SSD is not soldered in and is plug in upgradeable to a larger drive with faster read and write speeds. The early 701 clamshells were the soldered in ram and ssd drives. The 701SD is upgradeable to 2 gig of ram and a 64gig ssd.
There should be a large access panel on the back to get to the ssd drive.

I sold my 900 dual ssd 4gig (soldered)/ 16 gig (replaceable plugin) plus the 701SD and moved on to M&A Companion Netbooks.

I used to mod at eeepc forums before they shut the show down.

These are out of stock so I am not trying to spam. Just showing what fits.
A pata ssd is what is used in these. If sata. Bios won't see it.

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/runcore-64gb-pata-mini-pci-e-ssd-for-asus-eee-pc-901-1000/

Back when I had mine. I ran Puppeee and Macpup on it.
I like my M&A Companion netbook better though. It has a touchscreen
and Pen.

http://www.eassetsolutions.com/2014JOHN/2014-12-23_0271.jpg

mekalu2k4

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 13:39    Post subject: Which Puppy for Asus eee-pc-701 SD /512mb RAM/ 16gb HDD
Subject description: more questions on using small 7inch netbooks

Hi rokytnji,
Thanks a lot for the info. In fact, man of my friends have these small 7inch netbooks. They were wondering if they can upgrade and your post gives some hope.

One of my friends has ASUS Eee PC 8G-W002 Intel Celeron M 900 Mhz 1GB DDR2 7" Laptop. Not sure if you are familiar with this one? Do you think it can take 2gb of ram and a regular sata 500gb 7200rpm hard drive into it?

We want to put compizpup on 7inch netbooks [only reason for this frankly is - I can manage installation and configuration of this distro to certain extent].
rokytnji

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:26    Post subject:  

If it is the dual drive 7 incher. 4 gig ssd is soldered in. The 16 gig is just like I posted earlier . It uses a PCIE type of SSD hard drive.

Quote:
regular sata 500gb 7200rpm hard drive into it?

Forget about that. Won't fit. Wrong hard drive connection interface.

My M&A netbooks which are Atom N270 use a ZIF hard drive connection on
Pata 1.8 inch thick mini hard drives. Only eeepc I know on the older ones that you can use a platter drive on is 901 and the 10 inchers after that.

All the older ones came with POS phison drives to cut cost in manufacturing.
Adequate. But slow depending on Operating system. I always formatted mine
as ext2 file systems and ram no /swap partition.

Some tricks I used on my 701SD to save wear and tear on my ssd was

http://antix.freeforums.org/limiting-writes-to-ssd-on-eeepc-t2389.html

Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: