Printer ink levels

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Mike Walsh

Printer ink levels

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening all.

I'm running 'Tahrpup' 6.0, and have been thoroughly enjoying it for the last 2 1/2 months. I've been using the same Epson SX218 all-in-one for several years now, and had no problems getting it up and running in Puppy.....in fact, it's pretty easy in most Linux distros, once you know your way around.

I've got a query about checking ink levels on the SX218.

I've tried escp_gui.sh from here:-

http://dokupuppylinux.info/programs:printers_utilities

It all comes up; the window, and the buttons, etc.....but nothing actually does anything.

I've also tried InkGUI. This.....SORT of works. It reports levels for cyan, and for black; but magenta & yellow both come up as 'unknown', with a negative reading.

Now, having obtained no joy with these two GUI apps, I've tried escputil, which, as you all know, runs in the terminal. I have nothing against using the terminal, but it's a pain having to type the commands out every time!

Anyway; this one works.....and reports correct levels every time it's used, for all four cartridges. I know these ARE correct, as we have a Win 7 machine in the house which has the full printer suite installed, and I've cross-checked the levels with this.....and they match.

I'm just curious as to why some utilities will report levels correctly, and yet others either won't, or don't work at all.

Enlighten me, messieurs et madames, s'il vous plait.....

Regards,

Mike.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I wrote escp_gui.sh many many years when I was young and less mature looking.

Since its only a front end to escputil I assume the latter has changed and that the gui needs adjusting to suit. (was cups circa 1.1 and time has passed.)

They put it up without me knowing but was useful at the time apparently.

I am fortunate to have a network printer so chan chack levels via the web interface easily and escputil only works for usb connections but perhaps if you showed me the output from the command line i could fix the bunny.

I was going to suggest the 'ink ' based utility but seems thats a non starter...unless a newer version is needed

mike

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

by the way was the simpler second version any use? the rest of the function can be done from cups admin anyway now.

mike

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, mike.

Oho, we've got YOU to thank for that, have we? NICE one, mate.

Well, the original version comes up; window, buttons, the works.....but none of the buttons will actually DO anything. The second, simpler version, ditto.

InkGUI KINDA works; it'll report blue and black at the moment, but gives weird readings on red and yellow. I WOULD say that could be partially my own fault, since I'll be damned if I'm shelling out nearly £40 a time for an official Epson ink-pack (black, and the three colours); we've got a guy up here in Lynn who I've been buying my inks from for years. He used to run a computer repair shop, but the guy who worked for him quit on him, and the repair shop is now a pet-food shop (which he runs with his missus.....a stunning Thai lady!), and he runs the repairs on his own from upstairs (they have a flat above the shop). I get all four from him for £20 (although last time, a coupla months back, he only charged me £15...not grumbling, no, indeedy!).....and they work well; slightly shorter life perhaps, than the 'official' ones.....but at THAT price, who cares?

Which is why I DO need to keep an eye on the levels. I can do most things from the itsy-bitsy display on the printer, but levels is not one of them...

Point is, they're generic branded cartridges, and the chips don't always report correctly after the firm that reconditions them has faffed about with them..!

Strangely enough, though, escputil DOES report all 4 cartridges correctly.....'cos I've cross-checked it with Mum's Win 7 machine; I've got the Epson driver-cum-utilities suite installed on that, since we WERE using the Epson with her 'puter a few years back. The readings are almost exactly the same, give or take 1% or so either way, so.....I dunno. And WHY does Epson's stuff take so LONG to install in Windows? When the Dell was running XP a few years back, it took over 50 mins to install (I admit, that WAS with the old Celeron); even on Mum's Inspiron 15R with a core-i5, it still took nearly 25 minutes.

Whaddya reckon, mate? Incidentally, I wasn't aware that you COULD check levels through CUPS; how do you do that?

Let me know what output you want from escputil, and I'll post it through to you. Mine runs off USB, though I've got it networked with Mum's machine, wirelessly via the router, AND the 'Dell from Hell', to quote dear old Fossil..!

Regards,

Mike.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Windows installation methods are awful...they have to jump through so many hoops to be allowed to do anything...those long pauses when nothing's happening.
Epson use an older installer...works great on older windows but the newer ones with not be happy with it. Shame they are so casual about browser and email security at the same time.

Ok back to the topic..

I need to see the output you get from escputil on the command line...either copy and paste or a nice screen shot...that should be enough.
I might even get fancy and use progress bars if they behave.
I connot test here so would need you for that.

Cups does not do ink levels...it may do everything else..test pages/clean...driver permitting. escputil is a general purpose utility made for epson printers. Stopping print jobs can also be done through cups...it used to not work properly.

So all that's left is ink level sensing.

As it happens its a current topic. Been using jettec cartridges for years but epsom have forced them to recycle cartridges and put less than half the ink in compared to their newly built large ones...still the same size so ink costs have tripled..not a good one. So trying out the cheap and cheerfuls again...4 sets for 4 quid...well nothing to lose since we cannot afford to print at 10 pound every week or so for ink. :( . Its a b40w by the way.. generation before yours...chuggs along happily if well fed :)

Sad when companies force less environmental behaviour and general wastage... I never understood why epson themselves do not simply charge more reasonable prices for ink...after all they would sell so much more of it. But thats a general malaise of profit over common sense.

mike

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Mike.

Sorry to be a while getting back to you. Been one of those days...

OK. If I get you correctly, you just want me to enter 'escputil' in the terminal, and hit 'Enter', while the printer's turned on, yes? I'm still not very experienced with the command line in Puppy; I use it somewhat more in Ubuntu, for odd things, but I'm FAR from good at it! :lol:

And then you want the output. What would you like; a text file, or a screenshot, I think you said? Take your pick...

You know what the S.P. is with Epson, don't you? They suck you in with a nice low price for the printer itself.....and then hit you 'below the belt' with the prices for the consumables! Neat, eh? It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that since they ARE so cheap, it's SO easy to just switch brands, and get another one..! :shock:

Still, when all's said and done, I LIKE Epsons; always have done. They're just so reliable; which is what you want, really. When Mum bought the Dell back in 2002, we got a Stylus Photo 830U. BRILLIANT little printer. Only snag with it was it was one of those with an all-in-one colour cartridge. You know the sort; one case, and four or five compartments with the different inks in it. And what happens? One of the colours gets low.....and the whole lot quits on you! Crazy. Can't get the cartridges anymore; that's why I bought the SX218 about four years ago.

I think the 830's gathering dust up in the loft somewhere.....

I seem to be getting myself a bit of a reputation on the Ubuntu Forums, as the 'go-to' man for sorting out Epson problems; weird! I DO find them incredibly easy to work on, though, I MUST admit. It's astounding the number of folk out there who can't methodically work their way through a list of simple instructions; I think it's society's fault; we live in an age of instant gratification, don't we? Folk want EVERYTHING 10 minutes ago.... :roll:

They have a hell of a lot of printer drivers; but only about TWO scanner driver/data packages to cover pretty well everything they've churned out in the last fifteen years.....and that even includes the dedicated, stand-alone scanners. Which tells me they haven't really changed their scanner technology much in all that time; must have got it right first time around.

And the number of folk who don't know about installing the data package first is.....oh, DON'T get me started on THAT one...! I'm actually lost for words. :P

Which is unusual for me!

I'll get the info to you sometime tomorrow.....OK?

Regards, Mike.

BTW; I originally tried out rcrsn51's recommended driver for the SX218.....couldn't get the damn thing to work. Thought I'd try the Epson .deb driver I've used on lots of other distros; that didn't work, neither. THEN it occurred to me that I needed the 32-bit version for Puppy. Tracked that down through openprinting.org.....and she's been running nicely ever since (once I'd figured out how the CUPS web interface worked, that is)!

Oh, one other thing. Is there a way in Linux to reset the 'quit' count for the drip tray felt pad? Can't remember the name of it, but in XP I had a small, Russian-built utility that let me do all sorts of non-standard stuff with the Epson...including resetting the chips themselves. I reset the 830U a few times; kept it going FAR longer than it OUGHT to have done! *hee-hee*

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:BTW; I originally tried out rcrsn51's recommended driver for the SX218.....couldn't get the damn thing to work.
I looked through the Epson driver thread and I couldn't find a report from you. If there is a problem with the driver, I would like to know.

The PET is built from the official Epson debs. There should be no difference between installing it and getting the debs manually.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

I cannot get at the drip sponge on this one...and it must be pretty full by now.

I have been expecting the cut off for years but still waiting...perhaps as a semi business model they don't do that. My old epson needed resetting about once a year... easy to clean but small pads...this B40w they are huge...the full length of the printer. As you say the epsons are reliable...noisy but reliable. Tried a canon..it lasted about 4 months after being hardly used since the ink price/quantity went silly. Got refunded and got another epson. Easy software on linux...their windows software look windows 95 vintage but thats probably a bonus.... and certainly not ludicrously huge like HP (200MB+ to run a printer...they are sick bunnies.)

The russian thing won't work for newer printers. AFAIK
There is/was a guy doing resetting software...I grabbed for a T40W which is the same model just different name for other countries...hopefully it works BUT his repository went (was on rapidshare) so i don't know the status. Nothing on linux for this last time I looked.

There is/was a guy who sold kits for waste ink capture who would give you it for free IF you bought a kit...and he was still around when I looked a year ago. I need to dig out links.

ok awaiting yout results

Mike

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:BTW; I originally tried out rcrsn51's recommended driver for the SX218.....couldn't get the damn thing to work.
I looked through the Epson driver thread and I couldn't find a report from you. If there is a problem with the driver, I would like to know.

The PET is built from the official Epson debs. There should be no difference between installing it and getting the debs manually.

Hallo, rcrsn51!

Actually, that was a misleading statement.....sorry about that. I first tried it when I was experimenting with Slacko 5.7 back in July last year. Nothing wrong with the PET at all; it was just taking me forever to figure out how to use the CUPS web interface...I was getting a bit frustrated. I installed the escp-r PET; and couldn't get it work, because I couldn't understand CUPS.

A little further down the road, I was having another go at installing the printer. Using the driver I got from openprinting.org happened to coincide with me finally figuring out CUPS!

I have tried escp-r since.....and it works fine. The only thing I noticed (and I've tried it from the Epson download site, on other distros) is that there aren't quite as many options when you bring the printer window up.

But I state again; there is nothing at ALL wrong with your recommended PET package; it works well. The fault was entirely mine.

Sorry if I gave a negative impression.

Regards,

Mike. :)

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mike;

Now, then; you'll have to talk me through this. Like I said, I'm a complete newb with the terminal; I'm only used to using it in Ubuntu to install packages, and add repos, that kind of thing. I'm not a geek, at all; don't understand a fraction of the bash shell commands... :oops: (YET!!!)

'escputil -h' brings up the help menu, I figured that much out. There's a LOT of commands; which one(s) do you actually want the output from?

Regards,

Mike.

BTW: I don't mind testing out anything that may ensue from this;if it'll help other folk out in the future, I'm all for that..! :D

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Well whatever you do to get ink level readings..

escputil -i looks like the one but may need--r /dev/usb/lp0 or whatever the printer device is.
The gui has escputil -iur /dev/usb/lp0 which has something to do with handling unspecified printers...again device may need changing

Thing is those commands look familiar... my gui might have been hardcoded to a device which is not the one now used... (g)xmessage has also been bastardized in puppy so may simply be not behaving as expected.

looking at my effort its using hard coded /dev/usb/lp0 and knowing the way kernels pee around its more than likely wrong now...this was written on puppy 2. using the default did not work iirc.

mike

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:I have tried escp-r since.....and it works fine. The only thing I noticed (and I've tried it from the Epson download site, on other distros) is that there aren't quite as many options when you bring the printer window up.
From here:
Some Epson models are not supported by the all-in-one package above. Or there may be a model-specific driver for your unit that has more features.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, mike.

The command I used in Tahrpup to bring my ink levels up is this one:-

escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0

And that brings them up nicely. But if your script was, as you say, hardcoded to this particular version, then I don't really understand why it's not working.

How about if I enter escputil.sh in the terminal? I'm on the Dell at the moment, so I'm not working on the machine that's hooked up to the printer... Should work on the Compaq, since 'escputil' is installed on that one, and the printer's hooked to it...

Regards,

Mike.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Mine has the u option added
The printer is a new printer (Stylus Color 740 or
newer). Only needed when not using a raw device or
when the model is not specified.
it may not be needed or indeed interfering.

if you look at my script with a text editor you will see whats happening and fiddle with it... its pretty basic.

Mike

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:Mine has the u option added
The printer is a new printer (Stylus Color 740 or
newer). Only needed when not using a raw device or
when the model is not specified.
it may not be needed or indeed interfering.

if you look at my script with a text editor you will see whats happening and fiddle with it... its pretty basic.

Mike
Okay, Mike. I may well do that. One question? Clarify something for me, if you would:-

What does it mean by a 'raw' device?

Mike to mike...

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Its talking straight to the printer and not through cups which probably would not handle the request/data correctly.

mike

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Mike!

Got a bit of news for you. escp_gui.sh DOES work. See this screenie for proof:-

http://i.imgur.com/KNJipvz.png

Note the snazzy icon I've got down in the bottom corner?

Nowt wrong with your script, at all. I had to do a re-install this morning. One or two niggling little things were starting to crop up this last few days; by themselves I could've lived with them, but...

Last night I tried Peasydisc for the first time, to burn a DVD for VectorLinux, which I want to give a try. I don't know what happened; but the instant I closed the program, my CPU load shot up to 100%, and just stayed there. Several re-boots later, and it was STILL doing it; htop said it was running at 100%, too, but the processes didn't show what was using it. BUT the temp was steadily climbing too; and that's the first time the fan's EVER cut in at full speed on the Compaq! That was at 65C (she tops out at a max of 71c.....AMD's DO run cooler than Intels); normally, the Athlon 64 I've got in there is as cool as a cucumber, and barely, if ever, breaks through the 35C mark, even playing streaming audio, and videos at the same time.

So I thought, 'Sod it. Won't take above 90 mins to do a full re-install...' Everything was backed up, and program install is a doddle with the 'Quickpet' thingie, so that's what I did. I fitted a PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card for my external Seagate a week ago, 'cos that's USB 3.0, too; cooo, WHAT a difference in transfer speeds..! :D

Tried the ink level thing half-an-hour ago; it shows ALL levels now, as you can see. If I use it after the printer's been on standby for a while, it initially shows 'Unknown IEEE: 1284.4 error no 68' (mean anything to you?), but if I shut it off, then re-open it again (while the Epson's 'awake'), I don't get the error......I get what you see in the screenshot. Which, I presume, is what you SHOULD see.

So there you go. Your script seems like it doesn't need updating, after all. Thanks for that; just what I needed. Nice one.

I shan't use Peasydisc again. I'll stick with Pburn.....which doesn't give me problems.

Regards,

Mike. :)
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Last night I tried Peasydisc for the first time, to burn a DVD for VectorLinux, which I want to give a try. I don't know what happened; but the instant I closed the program, my CPU load shot up to 100%, and just stayed there.
Is this episode reproducible? Have you submitted a bug report to the PeasyDisc thread?

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Last night I tried Peasydisc for the first time, to burn a DVD for VectorLinux, which I want to give a try. I don't know what happened; but the instant I closed the program, my CPU load shot up to 100%, and just stayed there.
Is this episode reproducible? Have you submitted a bug report to the PeasyDisc thread?
Morning.

THAT, I don't know. IF by 'reproducible', you mean will I repeat what I did the other night, resulting in having to keep re-installing Puppy? I certainly COULD; but I don't know as I really WANT to keep on re-installing, despite how easy it is..... It could perhaps be simply a quirk of MY hardware combination, although everything else in 'Tahrpup' appears to work flawlessly.

I'm certainly willing to help de-bug it, though, as in some ways it seems less complex than Pburn.....and easier to use. :) So; where do I find the thread for it, and more importantly, how do I go about submitting a bug report? It'll be the first time I've ever done one!

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PeasyDisc thread is here. Post a message at the end.