Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Apr 2015, 11:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
UrxvtControl-1.1
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
radky

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 15:33    Post subject:  UrxvtControl-1.1
Subject description: Urxvt Terminal Control

System Requirements
rxvt-unicode (urxvt), gtkdialog4 (0.7.21 or greater), xdialog, perl (optional)

Purpose and Base Features
UrxvtControl provides graphical access to common configuration options of the rxvt-unicode (urxvt) terminal emulator. The user interface automatically adjusts to the available options supported by the installed version of urxvt. For example, the default urxvt 9.05 of most Puppies released since 2008 does not (as compiled) provide native support for Perl plugins. However, urxvt 9.20 of tahrpup-6.x supports useful plugins (extensions) such as tabs, clickable URLs and auto-copy of selected text to the X-Clipboard.

UrxvtControl Options
•Color of Foreground (Text) and Background
•Color of Cursor, URLs and Underline (urxvt >= 9.19 is required for cursor color independent of underline color)
•Tabs (on/off) and Tab Color (Perl plugin support required, such as urxvt 9.20 in tahrpup 6.x)
•Font Name and Style Attributes (Default:fixed-width monospace fonts)
•Font Size (Default:15 Range:10-24)
•Font Antialiasing (on/off)
•Font Hinting (on/off)
•Font Spacing (Default:0 Range:-5 .. 0) Note: requires urxvt >= 9.07
•Interface Width (Default:80 Range:50-200)
•Interface Height (Default:24 Range:10-80)
•Borderless (on/off) Note: This option is window-manager dependent. For example, supported by openbox, but not by JWM).
•Transparency (on/off)
•Transparency Shading (Default:85, Darken (0 .. 100) or lighten (-1 .. -100))
•Scroll Bar (on/off)
•Scroll Side (right or left)
•Scroll Style (rxvt and plain, plus next and xterm in supported compilations of urxvt - such as tahrpup 6.x)
•Scroll Width (Default:10 Range:7-20) Note: This option applies only to rxvt, plain and xterm scroll styles.
•Scrollback buffer (Default:1000 Range:0-65535) Note: Large scrollback buffers require more system memory.

For your convenience, the 'Tabs' option may be enabled or disabled without changing the status of other Perl extensions, or you can select the tray 'Plugin' button to completely enable/disable Perl extensions. The 'Restore' button will reload the original urxvt configuration settings that were in place before the first-run of UrxvtControl. If required, the 'Edit' button will provide quick access to /root/.Xdefaults for viewing or manual editing of the urxvt configuration settings. Finally, for a tooltip status report, please hover the mouse pointer over the interface header text (Urxvt Terminal Control).

rxvt-unicode changelog
http://dist.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/Changes

Download
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/UrxvtControl-1.1.pet

Main Interface with Perl plugin support (tahrpup-6.x)

Main Interface without Perl plugin support (most Pups since 2008)

Transparent urxvt with multiple tab windows and clickable URL in tahrpup

Last edited by radky on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 16:36; edited 6 times in total
radky

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 15:33    Post subject:
Subject description: Changelog

UrxvtControl-1.1
- improved gettext for internationalization (thanks ASRI éducation)

Last edited by radky on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 16:38; edited 3 times in total
radky

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2015, 16:42    Post subject:
Subject description: tahrpup_urxvt_perlmodules.pet

Files required for urxvt perl extensions are not included in the initial base release of tahrpup 6.0, but are in the devx.

This pet contains the perl files required by tahrpup for urxvt plugins such as tabs, clickable URLs and automatic copy of selected text to the X-clipboard.
tahrpup_urxvt_perlmodules.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  tahrpup_urxvt_perlmodules.pet 
Filesize  167.22 KB 
Downloaded  82 Time(s) 
radky

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:36    Post subject:
Subject description: urxvt transparency in Quirky April

Re. BK's Quirky April and April64:

Although the default urxvt terminal of Quirky April/April64 is current (v9.20), it does not support background transparency (or perl plugins).

Consequently, setting the transparency option to 'On' in UrxvtControl has no effect on the urxvt terminal of Quirky April/April64.

Last edited by radky on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 10:48; edited 1 time in total
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:41    Post subject:  

Tested in Fatdog64-700 beta2.

Works nicely.
Liked the transparent look.
Thanks

- Neeraj.

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”
- Amara’s Law.
radky

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan 2015, 19:24    Post subject:  

Thank you Neeraj. Smile
666philb

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2015, 14:30    Post subject:  

missed you posting this .... added to the next tahrpup

thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan 2015, 21:45    Post subject:  

I tried UrxvtControl in Slacko 5.9.3. After installing it, I found I could not copy & paste into a console the way I'm used to (highlight to copy, then simultaneous left & right click to paste.) I couldn't find a way to paste, so I uninstalled it. Sad
Also, it would really be great if each font in the drop-down list of fonts were shown in its own font. That may not be possible, but if it is it sure would make the app a winner in my book. (That and the copy/paste thing.) Smile
radky

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 00:29    Post subject:  

Hi Flash,

UrxvtControl changes only the urxvt section of /root/.Xdefaults. No other system files are modified.

In Puppy, setting the mouse to paste text into the terminal by "simultaneous right/left clicking" is controlled by the InputDevice section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
   Option       "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   #Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
   #Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Remove the two 'Option' hash marks

and change
Code:
   #Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
   #Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

to
Code:
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
   Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

Then restart X

Or, you can go to the Puppy Input Wizard -> Type of mouse -> select "Middle button emulated on 2-button mouse" and then restart X.

--

The font list of UrxvtControl is generated by the fc-list command (run this in a terminal see the font list).

The "font name:style" format in the generated list is the same basic format used in UrxvtControl and in the urxvt configuration section of /root/.Xdefaults.

For example:
Code:
Nimbus Mono L:style=Regular

Thanks for your comments Flash. I hope you will give UrxvtControl another try. Smile

PS - you can also paste into the terminal by using the middle (wheel) button of the mouse, or by the Shift+Insert keyboard sequence. Additionally, in urxvt 9.20 (if compiled with perl support), you can enjoy auto-copy of selected text to the X-clipboard, for pasting to other programs. This feature is available in the updated tahrpup 6.0.

nic007

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 00:54    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
I tried UrxvtControl in Slacko 5.9.3. After installing it, I found I could not copy & paste into a console the way I'm used to (highlight to copy, then simultaneous left & right click to paste.) I couldn't find a way to paste, so I uninstalled it. Sad
Also, it would really be great if each font in the drop-down list of fonts were shown in its own font. That may not be possible, but if it is it sure would make the app a winner in my book. (That and the copy/paste thing.) Smile

Middle-button to paste into terminal?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 09:48    Post subject:  

I use a Kensington Orbit trackball that doesn't have a middle button, only a scroll ring which does nothing but turn, and the left and right clickers.
radky

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 13:09    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
I use a Kensington Orbit trackball that doesn't have a middle button, only a scroll ring which does nothing but turn, and the left and right clickers.

Flash,

Did you try the following for 'simultaneous left & right click to paste' Question Question

Puppy Input Wizard -> Type of mouse -> select "Middle button emulated on 2-button mouse" and then restart X.

ASRI éducation

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 20:18    Post subject:  

Tested with Precise-CE.
All seems to be ok.
Thank you radky!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2015, 23:27    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
Did you try the following for 'simultaneous left & right click to paste':

Puppy Input Wizard -> Type of mouse -> select "Middle button emulated on 2-button mouse" and then restart X.

I could never figure out what that would do. Will it make the simultaneous clicking of both left and right mouse buttons act as a middle button? Because that's what urxvt already does -- except after I install UrxvtControl. Confused
radky

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2015, 00:55    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
I could never figure out what that would do. Will it make the simultaneous clicking of both left and right mouse buttons act as a middle button?

Yes, in Linux, the X server can emulate the middle mouse button by simultaneous pressing of left and right mouse buttons.

In Puppy, this configuration option is set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf as described above.

The simple way to implement this feature, for the conventional mouse, is to go to the Puppy Input Wizard -> select "Type of mouse" -> select "Middle button emulated on 2-button mouse" and then restart X.

I tested this in your current distro (Slacko 5.9.3):

1 - On first boot, simultaneous pressing of the left and right buttons of my wireless Logitech mouse did not paste text into the terminal.
2 - After I changed the mouse setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf through the Puppy Input Wizard as described above, simultaneous pressing of left and right mouse buttons will paste text correctly into the terminal, with or without UrxvtControl installed.
3 - Possibly your Kensington Orbit trackball does not interact as expected with the X-server settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
4 - UrxvtControl makes no changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and has no direct impact on mouse button functions that are controlled by the X server.
Puppy-Input-Wizard.png
 Description   
 Filesize   5.67 KB
 Viewed   747 Time(s)

Puppy-Input-Wizard.png

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: