Want to use TP-Link TL-WN723N USB WiFi Adaptor[Solved]

#1 Post by april »

I have a TP-Link TL-WN422G Adaptor54Mbps and it uses driver

Manufacturer=ATHEROS
Product=USB2.0 WLAN
SerialNumber=12345
VendorID=0cf3 ProductID=1006 KERNEL-MODULE=ath9k_htc

This works fine on Puppy Precise 5..7 1

I also have a TP-Link TL-WN723N Adaptor 150 Mbps mini wireless .
Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n WLAN Adapter
SerialNumber=00e04c000001
VendorID=0bda ProductID=8176 KERNEL-MODULE=rtl8192cu

This one doesn't.

Is there anybody working on these yet?
I can't move on to the higher speed as only the first runs properly
NOTE
When puppy loads the "rtl8192cu" driver loads and recognises the device but does not connect with "Auto DHCP" this "rtl8192cu" has to be blacklisted and one of the below "8192cu" put in and loaded.
For Puppy Precise 5.7.1 use the first pet below. For Puppy Precise 5.4.2 use the second . It depends on the kernel you have
Last edited by april on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 06:26, edited 7 times in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Is this your device? You'd have to plug it and run lsusb with verbose output. This'll depend on version..
Attachments
chip_version-1.jpg
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 1152 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

april

#3 Post by april »

Mr Semme it looks like V1 and is [ EDIT -Found packet had V2.2 on it]

Manufacturer=Realtek

I tried the d/l there and made the folder but no joy yet. I would like to see what other drivers are on that site but it won't let me look around. can you post a link to the next directory up as I think it is rtl8712 I should be looking for as another site I read reported it worked with this unit and I would like to try.

In the "quickpet precise" Under drivers I looked at pemasu's repository and he has a driver there that works but only with that numbered kernel. Thats up to Precise 5.5 it seems so it needs to be compiled for the kernel thats used in 5.7.1 .
Last edited by april on Sun 15 Feb 2015, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Nope, v2. Is Precise 5.71 the intended target?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rcrsn51

Re: USB WiFi Adaptors

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

april wrote:VendorID=0bda ProductID=8176 KERNEL-MODULE=rtl8192cu
This device is supported by all recent Puppies.

In what way is it not working? I have found that the rtl8192cu driver does not have much signal strength compared to the atheros drivers.

april

#6 Post by april »

rcrsn51 wrote:
april wrote:VendorID=0bda ProductID=8176 KERNEL-MODULE=rtl8192cu
This device is supported by all recent Puppies.

In what way is it not working? I have found that the rtl8192cu driver does not have much signal strength compared to the atheros drivers.
You can make the statement and talk the talk until you turn blue in the face . However mine will not connect in any recent Puppy except for Precise 5.4.2 and that only because pemasu compiled a driver in his repo specifically for that kernel.

So you are not correct and it requires closer examination which I am trying to do. If you read this post properly , the way it is not working is it does not set up the DHCP properly and ends up with rubbish in the IP field ,gateway and dns fields.

I have nticed a few threads on here complaining of it not working . One of my own as well.

When it works however it has very good signal strength in my opinion.
No offence meant rcrsn51
Last edited by april on Fri 16 Jan 2015, 20:13, edited 3 times in total.

april

#7 Post by april »

Semme wrote:Nope, v2. Is Precise 5.71 the intended target?
Yes semme I am trying to get it working in 5.7.1 and what makes you think it is V2 ? it is not marked v2 anywhere on the box and it does not look like any of the pictures and v2 has a march 2012 release date and I bought it about 2 years ago so V2 probably would not have been around at the time
Attachments
TP-Link TL-WN723N.jpg
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

april wrote:You can make the statement and talk the talk until you turn blue in the face .
Hi April...

Honestly, I think you're getting a little snippy. Please try to refrain from making rude remarks. I understand you're probably frustrated that you can't get the better adapter to work but this isn't rcrsn51 or Semme's fault. Wifi is poorly supported in Linux overall because manufacturers have not provided as good driver support as they have in Windows and Linux programmers have to try and compensate for that. :(

Semme gave the information he did based upon your adapter's product ID number...

Manufacturer=Realtek

In the link he provided, you can see that Version 2 contains your exact same number, where as Version 1 is 0bda:8171. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I compiled the vendor rtl8192cu driver for Precise 571. It works correctly with PeasyWiFi.

You may need to blacklist the in-kernel rtl8192cu driver using System > Bootmanager.
Attachments
8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet
(253.38 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 18 Aug 2015, 16:46, edited 3 times in total.

april

#10 Post by april »

ardvark wrote: Honestly, I think you're getting a little snippy. Please try to refrain from making rude remarks. Where?
I understand you're probably frustrated that you can't get the better adapter to work but this isn't rcrsn51 or Semme's fault. Wifi is poorly supported in Linux overall because manufacturers have not provided as good driver support as they have in Windows and Linux programmers have to try and compensate for that. :(

Semme gave the information he did based upon your adapter's product ID number...

Manufacturer=Realtek

In the link he provided, you can see that Version 2 contains your exact same number, where as Version 1 is 0bda:8171. :wink:

Regards...
Yes I see that, but you have misunderstood my post . I am discussing this with Semme, I hope ,and not having a shot at him . He has helped me admirably in the past and I hope that will continue as I seek to find the solution here.

rscn 's post however was a blatent assertion that the thing works , whereas I have shown with pemasu's repository , that it does not work and needs to be recompiled for the kernels used more recently. . If he believes it works let him demonstrate that with Precise puppy 5.7.1 if he can. I will happily try any driver he can recommend except rtl8192cu as presently in the release . It does not work.

I find your post unnecessary too, and note that before posting, you did not read the previous posts properly . If you re-read the above posts with perhaps the same determination you use on your favourite reading material then you will see I tried not to offend anyone ,merely correct what I see as a wrong statement.

I don't see that you have added anything useful to the conversation or the solution by your post. I will always say exactly what I mean and won't be pushed around by anybody
Last edited by april on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 09:45, edited 4 times in total.

april

#11 Post by april »

rcrsn51 wrote:FWIW, I compiled the vendor rtl8192cu driver for Precise 571.
OK so thats what I would like to get details about please . How can I get that recompiled driver or where can I get the source please so I can compile it myself?

Perhaps you could put a pet on a repository somewhere that I could get ? How is this fixed for all futur releases? how would that be done? I would like to be able to move up to each new release as it comes but if I have to recompile it each time its not going to happen

Does that involve a kernel compile ? I have not attempted one of those yet.

And I repeat , I intended no offence !rcrsn51 You have helped me also in the past and I appreciate that . If I can't speak bluntly then much time is wasted pussyfooting about and as it is all typed I don't have that time to waste.
Last edited by april on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

DIY, and because I can't recall which kernel 5.71 ships with.. puppy:linux >> src

april

#13 Post by april »

Ohh Semme you are many many levels ahead of me in that field . Want me to fix your car down to the last nut and bolt , build you a boat including everything literally DIY ,No problem but I would not dare to tread where you send me today .

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

Don't be fooled, I know as much as you. The devx, src and driver pkg of choice are all you need. Give it a shot..

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This device is supported by all recent Puppies. In what way is it not working?
april wrote:rscn 's post however was a blatent assertion that the thing works
Wow. You have an amazing ability to antagonize people who are in a position to help you.

The word "supported" just means that the Linux kernel recognizes the device and loads a driver for it. That is 100% true for rtl8192cu devices like yours in Precise.

I made no claims that it works well. In fact, I own two rtl8192cu devices and I have seen them show strange behaviours occasionally. Which is exactly why I asked you to provide more information.

Since there was some confusion about which driver your adapter is using, that was a reasonable request.

ardvark

#16 Post by ardvark »

april wrote:I don't see that you have added anything useful to the conversation or the solution by your post. I will always say exactly what I mean and won't be pushed around by anybody
Hi...

No one was pushing you around, my point was that being abrasive and rude helps no one. :(

Regards...

april

#17 Post by april »

You persist in this notion of rudeness. Thats not the case and has never been the case.

The name of the forum is "Discussion Forum"
I seek to fix a problem with my device that does not work under Puppy Precise 5.7.1 and in fact in every other flavour of Puppy lately so that I can update to the new issues as they are released .

I have been using Puppy since about 2001 and have had very few problems in that time but I have discussed them only recently on this forum.

If you think I am rude then please do not read or post in my threads so that thine eyes do not offend thee.
I notice rscn does not answer the repository question . Thats his choice and I care little if he chooses not to help me . Thats OK

I post in the hope of awakening someone diligent enough to fix this issue in future releases. .

april

#18 Post by april »

Thank you very much rcrsn51 for adding the pet to your post. I have downloaded and installed it and it works beautifully-

Thats great because I like to keep updated with new releases and I have learnt a little more about kernel drivers. Not quite enough to follow Semme's leads yet but I'll work on that and perhaps be able to help with the recompiling for new kernels as they become available if they are needed .

Thank you all.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

There ya go April.. Flies are attracted to honey. :D:wink:

ardvark

#20 Post by ardvark »

@rcrsn51: Thank you for compiling this driver. I would imagine it will help others with the same adapter and/or chip. :)

@April: Glad it works. If you would, please mark this thread "SOLVED" by editing the subject line of your initial post. Thanks! :)

Regards...