Puppy v2.02beta will be released about Thursday 27th

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy v2.02beta will be released about Thursday 27th

#1 Post by Lobster »

". . . I would like as many volunteers as possible to test it and find out if your NTFS filesystems survive uncorrupted." Barry Kauler

get your download broadband ready
prime your CD writer
phasers on stun (optional)

check developer news for 22 July 2006
http://www.puppyos.net/news/

testing is very valuable feedback

:)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 26 Jul 2006, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Any news about whether it will have the highmem option added to the kernel? I've been testing highmem since last month. Apparently the way Jesse compiled it broke the sound on my computer. Other than that, highmem has caused me no problems that I'm aware of, and imho is necessary for multisession Puppy.

Edit: never mind, I just read Barry's blog entry of the 19th. Yay, he's put 4 GB highmem in. My bowl is full. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

jus407

#3 Post by jus407 »

Im ready to corrupt my NTFS hard drive!!!
I have horrible windowz installed and i was gonna delete it all and reinstall it but i think i will wait a few more days and play around wiht it on puppy! (so no biggie if gone!)

Billcnz

#4 Post by Billcnz »

My play PC is dual booting win2k(fat32) and linux so I will be running the dos prompt command: "convert c: /fs:ntfs" to get it ntfs ready.

Bill

samac

#5 Post by samac »

I don't want to resize my NTFS partition, so I will also test it for you.

Samac

darkerror05

#6 Post by darkerror05 »

Billcnz wrote:My play PC is dual booting win2k(fat32) and linux so I will be running the dos prompt command: "convert c: /fs:ntfs" to get it ntfs ready.

Bill
I thought win2k was ntfs already.

jus407

#7 Post by jus407 »

i fim not mistaken they didnt start using NTFS until xp, correct?
Plus if you wanted to you can make it to where an NTFS OS (like XP) can run in FAT partitons (its an option in the cd)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

jus407 wrote:i fim not mistaken they didnt start using NTFS until xp, correct?
Plus if you wanted to you can make it to where an NTFS OS (like XP) can run in FAT partitons (its an option in the cd)
I'm trying to recall. HPFS rings a bell -- is that the default for Win2K?
Is HPFS any different from NTFS?
Here's something I found:
NTFS can be accessed by Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Note that there are some differences between the NTFS used by Win2K/XP and WinNT; you need to apply Service Pack 4 to Windows NT in order to access NTFS5.
NTFS is the native file system that Windows 2000 and Windows XP uses.
Ah, here's an overview:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;q100108

Melmo

HPFS or HFS

#9 Post by Melmo »

Hey barry,

Were you perhapse thinking of HFS?

HFS is the default Mac file system, and is not readable by any other os as far as im aware. This causes a whole world of hurt if you initially use your ipod on a mac and then try to change to a PC as it refuses to read the contence =P

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

jus407 wrote:i fim not mistaken they didnt start using NTFS until xp, correct?
No. NTFS goes way back to the first version of Windows NT in 1994.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

I am in XP at the moment (thought it was using NTFS) but by going to start / accessories / system information I was able to find it is using FAT32

If you buy a machine with XP installed it will have the default NTFS.
If installing or upgrading most people will use the default - NTFS. However for compatibility FAT32 is still more useful in most situations.

I have been using XP for the last few days :oops: (it is in a cooler part of the house during the heatwave). Maybe I will have a shower (I suddely feel unclean) and try getting Puppy on this machine . . . All my Puppys are on DVD - maybe I can find a CD which is all this is supporting :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Lobster, I seem to recall that Windows can convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS without disturbing the contents of the partition. It's a one-time deal that can't be reversed. You may have to boot the installation disk to do it. I've never tried it myself. :)

Yaverot

#13 Post by Yaverot »

I'm trying to recall. HPFS rings a bell -- is that the default for Win2K?
Is HPFS any different from NTFS?
HPFS was from OS/2 IIRC.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

NTFS can be converted to FAT32 with PQ's PM7 and later. This came up before. It's a very good idea for those determined to ignore good advice and buying proprietary boxes. Apart from all the other advantages, the DOS layer will be reinstated and can be used to fix the b*st*rd OS every time it goes wrong and before users learn sufficient to convert 100% to the penguin. Only a few will suffer the compromises associated with the inferior FS, and they are likely to be IT folks capable of manipulating systems. Otherwise, it's possible to work with FAT systems if they are defragged daily and scandisk is scheduled at least once a day - irksome, but it works.
And - although it's never been tested at Law, it's probably safe to use rogue copies of 'doze based on FAT FS because DOS contains plenty of, errrr, 'borrowed' code from many sources, including GNU. However, if it ever came to a contest, you'd have to pay your lawyers more than the other side's lawyers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

New Test Puppy is out

#15 Post by Lobster »

Barry has released the test version here:
http://www.puppyos.com/test/

make sure you read his notes and report back
http://www.puppyos.net/news/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Billcnz

#16 Post by Billcnz »

Looking good so far:
Booted 2.02 into ram and configured xorg and network.
Shutdown and created 512 MB save file on hda1 ntfs. (NTFS partition on my Win2k pro install was correctly detected).

Booted into Win2k and ran a check disk on C: drive - no problems.

Rebooted Puppy 2.02 CD and it found and loaded the save file and I'm posting from it now in SeaMonkey. Off to bed now so more tests tomorrow.

Bill

samac

#17 Post by samac »

Seems to be fine.

Machine: Packard Bell Easynote M5 284 laptop ( P4 2800, 512mb Ram).

I defragmented my NTFS (winxp sp2) partition. Ran Puppy 2.02beta, configured it and then saved to a 1GB pup_save.3fs

I rebooted and all my configurations were loaded from the NTFS partition.

I then rebooted to XP and found pup_save.3fs (1GB) and pupswap.swp (100MB).

XP is still working.

pup_202.sfs is still read to ram from CD, could this file be written to the NTFS partition for faster booting? I think that I'll experiment.

**********************************************************************************
Experiment complete, pup_202.sfs copied to /initrd/mnt/dev_save (NTFS partition), booted from CD and pup_202.sfs loaded into ram from the hard disk. Hopefully there will not be any complications, will continue to test.
**********************************************************************************
Samac

rerwin

Grub won't boot to NTFS partition

#18 Post by rerwin »

I have just attempted a frugal install into an empty NTFS partition created and formatted with GParted. The install was OK and a "configure" of grub to MBR appeared to succeed. I updated my existing menu.lst to add the new installation. However, when I booted with grub, it reported: "Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7" and "Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition."

My boot partition is separate, ext3; if it were in the NTFS partition, grub probably would have stopped earlier, trying to read the menu.lst.

Richard

rerwin

MUT shows incorrect mount point for NTFS partition

#19 Post by rerwin »

When running from CD with personal data file in the NTFS partition, MUT shows that partitition as mounted on /mnt/dev_save. The mount command shows it to mounted on /initrd/mnt/dev_save. The "rox" button for it fails, as /mnt/dev_save is not found.

Billcnz

#20 Post by Billcnz »

I noticed the same problem as rerwin that when using the pup_save file on the ntfs partition MUT is misreporting the mount directory.

Tested mounting/unmounting while runnining in ram with both MUT and Pmount and no problems, and file read/writing OK.

Also put cd into old laptop and booted, pup_save.3fs was found on fat32 and upgraded. I did notice though that my link to Opera on the desktop and in the start menu had gone. I typed opera in rxvt and it opened - no problems. So looking like just some minor issues at this stage.

Bill