Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 24 May 2017, 04:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?
Page 7 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 04:58    Post subject:  

ah goodly....

by the way those start up caches can simply be deleted when not running.
Older firefox could be configured to not make one of them. Sad
We used to do tricks like make the bookmarkbackups folder read only....funny if these sqlite are so solid why the need for 10 backups !!!

I made a thread about IMAP mail in the HOW TO section if you happen to use that.

mike
Moat

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 06:04    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Older firefox could be configured to not make one of them. Sad
We used to do tricks like make the bookmarkbackups folder read only....funny if these sqlite are so solid why the need for 10 backups !!!

Oooh... neat. Firefox 25 - I just searched the word "backup" in about:config and up pops "browser.bookmarks.max_backups" - which was set default to 10. I bumped it down to 1. Should be plenty! Smile According to Mozilla, setting to 0 will disable backups.

Thanks for bringing that one up, Mike - I've entirely missed it 'til now.

Bob
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 06:51    Post subject:  

See in answer to the topic I find its up to us to make the browsers faster and lighter rather than chasing the holy grail of the ultimate browser.

Those json type files have been suggested as a replacement for the sqlites..... they are like a robust text file archive...I suppose akin to squash.

mike
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 07:56    Post subject:  

Quote:

If there are parallels...how many car/automobile owners would have a clue now about even basic servicing compared to say 40 years ago.
It is not just servicing. How many know how to drive a manual car??
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 08:13    Post subject:  

Quote:
If there are parallels...how many car/automobile owners would have a clue now about even basic servicing
Or even a manual drive.
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2015, 16:20    Post subject:  

mike
Already limited bkmk-backup to 2
AdBlock Edge went from 5 to 2 (10Mb savings ! )
Those two are in the slacko5.7-2015 iso (eeepc veersion)

Now about that 'little' ahem cache...
my solution is to rename as zip, then FF does not see it
If FF crashes/refuses to behave delta to little again.
In the meantime, little rewrites itself and zip goes bye-bye.
Having an ext3 (or 4) journalled save file will show in increase in
room availible once the zip gets tossed. Ext2... my condolences.

Linux user #498913
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016, 04:48    Post subject: in my opinion browser speed will depend on free space in RAM  

in my opinion browser speed will depend on free space in RAM. and controls , the safer, the slower... Seamonkey was the default browser in Puppy Linux, you can trust their choice.
Don' load to much your puppy to let it enough space in RAM to move...
as soon as a swap is needed, Puppy has lost interest for surfing the web (not for type-writing, or programming)
and old Seamonkey is what i use on my old laptop.. SWiftfox is slow, very slow, on my Medion four processors with 4GB Ram, and Swiftfox Sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil however is slow...

TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2016, 17:51    Post subject:  

I am so impressed by the great info that has been put into this sequence. Mikeb, in particular, has been great. So, I don't feel so bad about reviving/bumping a conversation which occurred over a year ago. Besides, Pelo already bumped it. Razz

If Mikeb, or others, could respond...what is the suggested browser for me to use that is fast, lightweight, and can block all the invisible crap that burns up my data plan? I would like to use maybe a 5.x pup so my new tethered phone can be recognized readily. I assume that Mikeb is staying with his suggestion of Firefox 3.6. Can this be used with extensions to carry out the blocking I need? It would seem that the new extensions would not be compatible with the old browser. Would older versions of the extensions would sufficiently well?

I know this is a lot of questions...but I hope to begin something of an exchange on this such that it may help others also.

Thanks...
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016, 02:14    Post subject:  

For a 5.x pup I would switch to palemoon browser. I run the latest palemoon even in wary with glibc upgrade but a 5.x pup lucid-based does not need upgrade. You can set palemoon to not load images for a text only browsing. I use ublock and noscript extensions and pup-advert-blocker.
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2016, 18:36    Post subject:  

Thanks for the response, Watchdog. I should have mentioned that I am trying to run all of this on a vintage 2000 Pentium III computer with 256 megs of ram. Yes, seriously. I doubt that any recent version of a browser will run worth anything. I appreciate your mention of the blocking extensions.

A question for all of you...you mention these older browsers, but you hardly mention their sources. Where do you get them? Items such as Firefox 3.6 and so on seem to be so dated as to be hard to find. Also, the particular form of the browser must align with the OS version, processor architecture, bit width, code base, etc.

Thanks...
watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2016, 00:18    Post subject:  

I download palemoon from the archived versions repository:

http://linux.palemoon.org/files/AutoIndex/index.php

I use the precompiled binaries and I have never had issues. An old computer should need an old "internet": modern internet has heavy websites and you have to reduce their weight for a confortable browsing with old hardware. On android devices I use Atlas web browser and google weblight (search google for them). In my puppies I would consider a "text only" browsing with a very old hardware. But all my hardwares are 1 Gb RAM and I'm confortable with last palemoon browser. You can try archived versions, too.
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 00:32    Post subject:  

Thanks, Watchdog...I will give your reference a try and see how it goes. I was hoping for a browser that could do a bit of video capturing and filter out all the junk in general so that I could look at modern sites with much less of a hit on my resources.

Text-only browsing is just too unrealistic! How anyone can endure that is beyond me. I use Dillo most of the time, and that is as minimalist as I can get.

I will effort for the best compromise...the search continues.
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 01:30    Post subject:  

If you use noscript extension and a image blocker extension you can activate these only when you are interested. I stick with my opinion: content-filtering is the only option to comfortably browse modern internet with a very old hardware. You can use the last browser your puppy can support: no need to stick with not supported old versions of the browser.
Tar_Ni

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2016, 17:08    Post subject:  

Use an older version of Firefox, they are quite fast on older hardware. Add NoScript for more security and web content management.
Last edited by Tar_Ni on Fri 27 May 2016, 20:37; edited 1 time in total
Tar_Ni

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2016, 17:14    Post subject:  

Removed
Page 7 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: