Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Colonel Panic

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

Some fair points there Mike (and bark bark bark too). I have to admit I hadn't thought of the connection between Google Mail and Chrome, but it's clear once you point it out.

I might try Flash 10.0.15 in Firefox 3 and see if I have any luck with it. The problem I was getting before was that Firefox was showing the video in blocked form with an 'f' superimposed on it, but wouldn't start when I clicked on the 'f' as it is supposed to.

Yes, I know gmail has problems. I use a *paid for version of Fastmail for correspondence with friends and family, but at the moment I've got gmail for all my less personal or more ephemeral messages. I might try and see if there's another and better free e-mail service to substitute for gmail.

Best,

CP .

* $10 a year including 100MB file storage, which is far more than I need; I think it's worth it.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

Hmm so flashblock operating there... but fails after clicking..

I have used flash 10.3.xxx as well...does not stream to ram but appears to play all.

I wonder if there is some flash player requirement problem otherwise but thats a long shot.

gmx.com ....good free webmail...can do pop and Imap too...no catches after several years of use. They even throw in a bit of web storage. :)

sorry about the rant...bit of a sore point with google.

mike

Colonel Panic

#33 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:Hmm so flashblock operating there... but fails after clicking..

I have used flash 10.3.xxx as well...does not stream to ram but appears to play all.

I wonder if there is some flash player requirement problem otherwise but thats a long shot.

gmx.com ....good free webmail...can do pop and Imap too...no catches after several years of use. They even throw in a bit of web storage. :)

sorry about the rant...bit of a sore point with google.

mike
Thanks for the advice Mike - no problem about the "rant." Google's business practices get up a lot of people's noses these days; Bill Gates has even said that Google is the company which most reminds him of Microsoft in their approach to business.

I've just had a look at the GMX website and the e-mail package looks good, with one slight reservation; they say they may provide you with software to use on your computer. Is this software obligatory or optional? (I have not very fond memories of AOL and their infamous "coasters" in the 90s and early 00s.)

Best,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

8Geee

#34 Post by 8Geee »

gmx has succumbed to "packaging". I wouldn't want to accept anything else than the target app. Yah, the can o'worms I opened is in fact why I asked if there was some way to trim the sql-bloat. I note that my offerings here with FF27 don't seem to inflate much at all. Save file and gdmap seem to indicate some size-stability. I was wondering if any sql db in FF was readily trimmed/removed.

I've tried to stay away from M$ - G# and Flash, yet security flaws means that nothing is stable over time. openssl just went 1.0.1k with two nasties closed. Funny, I used to think APPle wanted their own internet. But it looks like Ethernet connections are too secure for ANY of the big three, as evidenced by the lack-a-jack for the RJ-45 connector. Hardwire a smartphone to a router/modem/firewall... perish the thought!
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Colonel Panic

#35 Post by Colonel Panic »

GMX has got a pretty good review in this article;

http://free-email-services-review.topte ... eview.html

The only downsides (apart from its somewhat retro interface, for those who consider that important) seem to be its lack of an RSS feed or conversation view. but I don't use those anyway.

darry1966

#36 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Mikeb,

Have you ever tried GNUIcecat I have used 3.6.16 from here extracting the .tarbz
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.6.16/

Wonder how it compares to the fox of similar vintage.
Last edited by darry1966 on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#37 Post by darry1966 »

Sorry double post opps.

Colonel Panic

#38 Post by Colonel Panic »

darry1966 wrote:Hi Mikeb,

Have you ever tried GNUIcecat I have used 3.6.16 from here extracting the .tarbz
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.6.16/

Wonder how it compares to the fox of similar vintage.
Hi Darry,

It kept crashing in IcePup. as I recall. I don't think IceCat is as stable as Firefox (at least not ones of that vintage).

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

they say they may provide you with software to use on your computer.
optional I assume...I recall something for easy use of their file storage thats all.

I rarely use the web interface though it was changed recently...its actually less heavy but an annoyance is that I get the mobile interface in some setups. I use it with imap or pop3 in thunderbird normally including smtp so am immune to anything they might want to have on the web...the latter is handy if out and about I suppose though I did use mail2web to access them since its simpler.

They don't seem to have much interest in world domination which is nice.

As for google bill's comment just about sums up my thoughts.
might have lol... but millions of mooons ago. Will have a quick play.
I tried midori a while ago but again it was unstable and failed to handle some pages well enough. opera 12 was a fairly pleasent ride.

mike

Colonel Panic

#40 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:
they say they may provide you with software to use on your computer.
optional I assume...I recall something for easy use of their file storage thats all.

I rarely use the web interface though it was changed recently...its actually less heavy but an annoyance is that I get the mobile interface in some setups. I use it with imap or pop3 in thunderbird normally including smtp so am immune to anything they might want to have on the web...the latter is handy if out and about I suppose though I did use mail2web to access them since its simpler.

They don't seem to have much interest in world domination which is nice.

As for google bill's comment just about sums up my thoughts.
might have lol... but millions of mooons ago. Will have a quick play.
I tried midori a while ago but again it was unstable and failed to handle some pages well enough. opera 12 was a fairly pleasent ride.

mike
I've found the same, and yet some distros still include it as their standard browser instead of a stable but more limited one like Dillo (version 3 is pretty good now but AFAIK won't handle Flash or Javascript)..

Makes me wonder whether or not people now expect functionality at all costs, including stability.

totolanio

#41 Post by totolanio »

Of course, do you prefer having a body with 2 arms but can become sick/ill OR do you prefer a body immune to every sickness but with no arms ? :D

I tried to install the swiftfox pet but so many addons are disabled :'(

darry1966

#42 Post by darry1966 »

[quote="Colonel Panic"][quote="darry1966"]Hi Mikeb, and Colonel

Yeah found the same in Icepup 3.01. I am using 4.12 retro with my Dell from Hell and have used Icecat 3.6 with that and didn't have same issues.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

Yeah found the same in Icepup 3.01. I am using 4.12 retro with my Dell from Hell and have used Icecat 3.6 with that and didn't have same issues.
did you change the buggy gtk2 in 4.12?..I had to to prevent firefox/flash crashes.

mike

darry1966

#44 Post by darry1966 »

mikeb wrote:
did you change the buggy gtk2 in 4.12?..I had to to prevent firefox/flash crashes.

mike
For my AnitaOS Laptops based on 4.12 yes:
This GTK and Pango

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos ... t/download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos ... t/download

But I also updated Pixman and other stuff as well. For my 4.12Retro install no. I'm using Firefox 17ESR and didn't deem it necessary as I have no intention of firefox updating as 17 does the job and is quite stable.

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

Ah ok...I actually meant the fixed build of gtk2...same version just without the crashes...also gets searchmonkey working as it happens....as apposed to a newer version.

This fixed firefox 3.5/flash 10.0.15 instability.

Just checking chicken :)

mike

darry1966

#46 Post by darry1966 »

mikeb wrote:Ah ok...I actually meant the fixed build of gtk2...same version just without the crashes...also gets searchmonkey working as it happens....as apposed to a newer version.

This fixed firefox 3.5/flash 10.0.15 instability.

Just checking chicken :)

mike
Cool. I like your idea of this earlier flash. The feature of a copy of what you are watching being in /tmp is very handy. Will try it.

You're right about the text file thing you were talking about as well just goes to show Mozilla badly needs to simplify not bloatify.

I'm not to happy about the latest Seamonkey releases so have been using the fox instead version 2.25 seemed to be the last decent one.

For example was using version 2.30 of Seamonkey it did an update and wiped my profile bookmarks and all. So until these things are sorted it's earlier versions and 17ESR for me.

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

I sort of have a policy of not updating until the beta phase is over.... don't like being an unpaid tester.

Yes but unfortunately the flash 10.0 days are numbered... more sites want later partly to prevent downloading to temp , sometimes for DRM and also to have more annoying advert options. (the video player part has not really changed since circa flash 8-9..the rest is bull squirt) You tube has a significant proportion of 'won't play in that ' now...I just use the mp4 download addon for those...works better anyway and html5 is a joke for those who don't get new machines every birthday :D

Quite happy with seamonkey 2.9.1 for now... got it playing ok on windows and linux and its better with crappy sites at times...and yes it gets nagged as old too... can't please some people SO DON'T TRY TO :D

Onward and upward....

mike

darry1966

#48 Post by darry1966 »

Yeah had enough of the you must upgrade your system every 5 minutes with windows. I felt like a Hamster in a wheel, at least with the Pup I can retain what I have as I choose. I use a FF youtube downloader to handle mp4 download with the tube.

partsman

#49 Post by partsman »

I happen to give Firefox 3.6 a try yesterday !
I had no problems with YouTube or any other website I visited :wink:
I actually liked how fast it was :shock:
Just my 2cents :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

I happen to give Firefox 3.6 a try yesterday !
yes still my default...just been trying out the 'monkey.

The expression is 'chasing the wind' :)

mike