Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 31 Mar 2015, 04:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
OB-Precise 15.01 kernel 3.17.7 PAE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 01:30    Post subject:  OB-Precise 15.01 kernel 3.17.7 PAE
Subject description: Woof-CE 170 MB ISO

This is OpenBox Precise version 15.01-k3.17.7 (January 2015). As always, think of it as experimental at first. Try it especially if you are looking for a Precise update.

Download: https://copy.com/kjSRz66KGRMob9HF

Mirror at Archive.org (thanks Ally)

If you are still with version 15.01-k3.17.4 then see also obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet attached below.

Previous version 14.07.26 k3.9.11

What's new:

Arrow Kernel 3.17.7 PAE compiled in Tahrpup by 666philb. Kernel sources available here.
Arrow PaleMoon 25.1 as default browser.
Arrow Frisbee 1.3.1 as default connect wizard.
Arrow GStreamer 0.10 buitin.
Arrow XChat as default chat (Pidgin removed).
Arrow pBurn 4.3.11.
Arrow DeaDBeeF 0.6.2 from don570 as default audio player. However, pMusic is still available and up-to-date (version 4.4.6). Whatever audio player is set as default can be launched from the music icon in the right of the Lxpanel, or by hitting the Ctrl+Alt+A keys.
Arrow Claws-Mail 3.11.1 as default email.
Arrow mtPaint updated to 3.44.90.
Arrow Take a Shot! 1.8, PackIt 1.9.
Arrow PeasyApps updated (PeasyMP3 not included).
Arrow p7zip buitin, .7z packages open with XArchive.
Arrow New Elementary theme combination.
Arrow New category "Help" in the Lxpanel menu, with direct links to local help, as well as the Puppy Linux discussion forum (all entries are opened in the default browser). Make your own manuals and set a key word for the field "Categories" of the .desktop, for example: Tutorial, Handbook, HowTo, Manual, Info, Documentation, Help, etc.
Arrow You can swap kernels with 666philb's ones available here. No need to do the terminal part, just rename the zdrv to zdrv_obprecise_15.01.sfs and you're ready to go. However, note that those kernels were made for Tahrpup, so kernel swapping in this case is in fact experimental.

Keyboard shortcuts:

CTRL+SHIFT+M=Lxpanel menu (use the arrow keys and Enter to select menu items),
ALT+CTRL+Q=Openbox menu (use the arrow keys and Enter to select menu items),
CTRL+ALT+W=default word processor,
CTRL+ALT+B=default browser,
CTRL+ALT+A=default audio player,
CTRL+ALT+V=default media player,
CTRL+ALT+G=Galculator
CTRL+ALT+E=default text editor,
CTRL+ALT+P=default paint,
CTRL+ALT+K=default spreadsheet editor,
CTRL+ALT+M=default email client,
CTRL+ALT+T=ROXTerm terminal,
CTRL+ALT+S=Take a Shot! screen capture,
PrintScreen=Quick screenshot opened in mtPaint.
CTRL+SHIFT+X=PupShutdown (shutdown options)

Idea Remember you can bookmark directories in ROX-Filer and click them from the Openbox menu as quick shortcuts: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=791202#791202

Known issues:

Arrow Your computer may likely not connect to the Internet automatically at first boot, click the connect icon and choose Frisbee, or close the welcome dialog and click the network icon in the right of Lxpanel, it will start Frisbee and after saving session it should connect to the Internet automatically. This was setup because for some reason, Simple Network Setup doesn't connect automatically, not at first boot, neither after rebooting with a savefile, and one wouldn't like to connect manually each time the system is booted.
Arrow Notice that QuickPet Precise is still available, but as its driver selection is for kernel 3.9.11, they won't work in this new build with different kernel. Same goes for other kernel-dependent packages, and for the ndiswrapper of 15.01-k3.17.4 (I was able to compile it and put it in 15.01-k3.17.7, but I'm not able to test it). The kernel headers and sources are available for compiling drivers and kernel-sensitive programs.
Arrow The RAM monitor of Lxpanel doesn't work. If you need to check RAM consumption, you can install pWidgets or open Htop from the System menu.

Thanks to BarryK and the Puppy developers for creating the tools for an average Joe to put together a Puppy Linux ISO.
And thanks to josejp2424, nilsonmorales and the guys at the #puppy-latino IRC channel for their help.
obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet
Description  - Fix duplicate ROX call
- Spacers to center top panel properly
pet

Download 
Filename  obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet 
Filesize  3.55 KB 
Downloaded  84 Time(s) 
obp1501k3174.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.23 KB
 Viewed   835 Time(s)

obp1501k3174.jpg

Last edited by vicmz on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 20:08; edited 5 times in total
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 07:41    Post subject:  

Hi vicmz

Nice pup - congrats.

Frugal install on my desktop with nvidia graphics went well.

You might want to:

- put a couple of stretch spaces each side of the top panel so as to centre it properly

- move to 666philb's updated k3.17.7 kernel as the k.3.17.4 version you are using has the problem with usb keyboards during savefile selection at boot time

- edit .xinitrc as you've left in 2 calls to Rox (capital R) when setting the pinboard and obprecise doesn't have Rox - only rox. The lines can be delete as line 133 above is the correct pinboard command.

- use updated version of openbox? I can send you link to openbox-3.5.2 if you pm me

Cheers
peebee

vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:34    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:

You might want to:

- put a couple of stretch spaces each side of the top panel so as to centre it properly
(...)
- edit .xinitrc as you've left in 2 calls to Rox (capital R) when setting the pinboard and obprecise doesn't have Rox - only rox. The lines can be delete as line 133 above is the correct pinboard command.

Please install obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet attached to the first post. It restores the original xinitrc, since the fix applied previously (for Lxpanel to show up instantly instead of right-clicking) does nothing. This issue is rare, but users reported that installing new gtk themes makes it more frequent.

peebee wrote:
- use updated version of openbox? I can send you link to openbox-3.5.2 if you pm me

I tried, but I got stability issues, so I decided to go for the one that works. Maybe I should let someone compile this one for me, and save learning for later.

peebee wrote:
- move to 666philb's updated k3.17.7 kernel as the k.3.17.4 version you are using has the problem with usb keyboards during savefile selection at boot time

I wasn't aware about that issue, especially because I make only one savefile. You mean that the bug is in the kernel itself and therefore it is also in this build, right? I'll find my USB keyboard to test (I'm using a PS/2 one at the moment).

This is the most important point of your feedback, I think. I didn't want to just use a kernel compiled by another person without trying to compile it myself. There's also the advice of the ReadMe file in the kernel kit:

Quote:
Be aware that for best results you should compile in a host
distro which is compatible with the target distro.

This doesn't mean I'm not willing to use 666philb's kernels, in fact it'd be nice to use a kernel configured and compiled by a more experienced user. Also, it'd be an interesting experiment to further test the kernels. The only reason I was hesitant to pick one was that kernel headers and kernel sources are not available. Yeah, I may not need them myself, but sooner or later someone will ask for them.

For this OBprecise, kernels were swapped by the same method described by 666philb in his readme file here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/kernels/

This means that if you want to upgrade the kernel to 3.17.7, you can download 666philb's from the link above and swap as described in the readme. Note that you don't have to do the terminal part anymore, just rename the zdrv to zdrv_obprecise_15.01.sfs and you're ready to go.

Nice feedback, thank you for taking the time to test the ISO.

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:57    Post subject:  

Hi vicmz

The updated kernels are at:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/kernels/

those with update in their names - 3.14.20 pae & nopae + 3.17.7 pae

Your 3.17.4 does exhibit the problem but 666philb hasn't updated that version

It isn't a kernel bug - it's configuring the kernel correctly for the new zdrv method of making swapping kernels easy.

Kernel sources are at:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/

666philb explains what has changed at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=819772#819772

& http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=819959#819959

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 15:17    Post subject:  

hi vicmz,

for ndiswrapper look here 3rd & 4th post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93998&start=195

you need to compile separate ones for PAE & noPAE even if it's the same kernel version

ndiswrapper should probably be in the zdrv.sfs (not tried yet)
in tahrpup i put them in the main build and you needed to manually do depmod -a to get it to work.

ally

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan 2015, 16:39    Post subject:  

new files mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_linux_ob_puppy

Smile
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 17:29    Post subject:  

Thank you guys for all information, advice and download mirrors. The new ISO with kernel 3.17.7 and ndiswrapper-patched was uploaded to the same folder link of the first post. Also no need to install the obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet anymore. The ndiswrapper was not tested yet, I haven't got the resources.

Note that if you haven't installed any kernel-dependent programs or done any special setups, then there is no need to create a new savefile. You can do it if still in doubt, though.

cimarron

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 16:07    Post subject:  

I really liked your previous OB-Precise, and remastered it, but was able to successfully update the kernel to 3.17.7 using your new version (and jrb's easy instructions). The savefile updated with no problems. I suppose it would have been no work at all if I hadn't folded the zdrv into the main sfs with the remaster, but it was still pretty easy.

Thanks for the updated kernel. Noticeably faster and seems lighter on my old P4.

My only question is about the kernel sources for 3.17.7. I see 3.17.4 sources in your copy.com folder, are they the same for 3.17.7?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: