Opera GX - *Breaking news!*

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Opera GX - *Breaking news!*

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I've just run across this over at HowToGeek. It's a special version of the current Opera browser, which I built packages for a few weeks back.

https://www.howtogeek.com/424744/opera- ... er-anyway/

This one is a version of Opera that is specifically set-up to appeal to gamers. Lots of built-in access to games forums, gamer's chat-rooms, etc.....and plenty of links to items and websites of special interest to gamers.

A very fancy-looking 'dark' theme; and one item of interest to owners of Razr 'Chroma' equipment is that when you fire it up, your keyboard's RGB lighting automatically 'themes' itself to match the browser's colour scheme.

It's even got a built-in feature which 'limits' the amount of demand it puts on your CPU & GPU.... ??!?! :roll:

All very fancy.....and for most of us, totally pointless, of course. Currently, it's only available as a Windoze build ( predictably, completely as expected), so don't expect to see Puppy packages any time soon.....but if it ever gets released as a Linux build, I'll investigate, and if I can, I'll run up some packages for y'all.

Mike. :wink:

Ananda98

#2 Post by Ananda98 »

Hello Mike,

Sounds interesting, especially for RAM and GPU limiter. Probably it may helpful, when we need to open heavy site.

But, does it affected Opera's performance?. For example, when it uses 200 megs of RAM to load a page for 2 minutes, will it load that pages more longer if i set it to use only 100 megs of RAM?

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ananda98:-

Like I said above, unless you've got a Windows box, there's no way currently to find out any of your points. Not under Linux. It's only been ported to Windze, so far.

Have to be patient, I guess....

Ananda98

#4 Post by Ananda98 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ananda98:-

Like I said above, unless you've got a Windows box, there's no way currently to find out any of your points. Not under Linux. It's only been ported to Windze, so far.

Have to be patient, I guess....

Probably, they don't make it for Linux because Linux has good memory management?