Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Oscar.

I've just downloaded and installed your 'slimjet-7.0.1.0-slack14.0'.sfs package, in rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (this is the one based on vanilla 570). Absolutely straightforward, and no hassles at all.

No terminal messages, or anything silly like that at all. I'd originally tried with the generic tar.xz package from the Slimjet site, and kept getting the 'bad NaCl helper ack' thing, so gave up on that one. Couldn't quite see what the problem was there, since I also run your Chrome 45 package here too, and already have libgconf2, etc.

Then I tried the .deb package. That didn't want to know at all. I know it shouldn't work in Slacko at all by rights, but I have a few .deb packages running on here quite happily.....including my printer driver package. (Strangely, I tried that as the .rpm version when I first set X-Slacko up, and it wouldn't install!)

Then, upon reading your posts here, I found the the link to your SFSes, and Bob's your uncle! Sorted.

Thanks very much. I've replaced an elderly version of Chromium (36.0.1985), which I kept as a stand-by, in case Chrome threw a wobbly.....not that it ever has, but every time you fire it up, you keep getting nagged to upgrade.....

Will report back if, as & when any issues rear their heads.

Cheers! Appreciated.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just wanted to add that I'd no idea that Slimjet auto-updates PepperFlash..! That being the case, I'm seriously considering replacing Chrome right through the kennel; it might look a wee bit different.....but who cares? Functionality like that is worth having.

Add that to Geoff's Linux Flash Updater (for FireFox/PaleMoon).....and that's one thing I shan't need to bother about any more. Nice one!

Thanks again, Oscar.

Pelo

slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat !

#33 Post by Pelo »

well wel well .... slimjet is
slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat ! it will freeze laptops with 512MB,In fact i don't know; I have to test it, first with my 4GB laptop (4processors)
We are not missing browsers, really, one could find hapiness easily...
Links for our programming experts, QtWeb for fun, seamonkey & firefox for Mamas and Papas.
why browsers are getting bigger and bigger ? We are browsing always the same sites.. Games perhaps..
My criteria are two levels
low i can read videos
High i can upload videos on Youtube
Now, i am browsing with Firefox 3.6, that the reason why i was searching if brand new stuff was available (to enjoy a little bit Slackos and co, desesperate Slackos).
Error mouting sfs (slacko 5.7, enjoyed version s57-2016eee.iso: 144 M )
I will download version speciale Slacko...

s243a

Re: slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat !

#34 Post by s243a »

Pelo wrote:well wel well .... slimjet is
slimjet-6.0.8.0.sfs (77M) . that is not slimboat ! it will freeze laptops with 512MB,In fact i don't know; I have to test it, first with my 4GB laptop (4processors)
We are not missing browsers, really, one could find hapiness
Do you have swap enabled on your computer with 512 MB of ram?

Pelo

#35 Post by Pelo »

slimboat-1.1.44.sfs: 21 M not 80
swap should never be used, it's for temporary excess in RAM,

Some users use swap as RAM added..
But in fact their Puppy is no longer a Puppy, its speed becomes the hard disk speed, with the processor permanently loading and unloading stuff in and out the ram.
Imagine ou french supersonic Concorde having to land and take off ten times between Paris and New York, because there are to many passengers boarded. that is exactly the same.
But now, i am on a Medion, ram 4GB, no problem, slimjet will do it... If this Slacko loads the SFS :evil:

OscarTalks

#36 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet is now up to version 7.0.7.0

On some older machines with low spec I do find that it gives the "Aw,Snap" error somtimes if you are trying to load a heavy website. I think all this is just the harsh reality of progress in computing and the internet.

On low RAM computers I would recommend using some swap but set the swappiness to favour the RAM and only use swap if needed. This should prevent total crash or freeze.

SlimBOAT is still very useful so long as you have an up-to-date browser available as well when you need it for certain websites. Last ever version was 1.1.54 available here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

Copy.com storage will be closing on 01st May 2016 so any of my larger and/or experimental packages will be moving to another host. I have used Yandex Disk in the past so may go back to that or may look for another option.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Pelo wrote:We are not missing browsers, really, one could find hapiness easily...
Links for our programming experts, QtWeb for fun, seamonkey & firefox for Mamas and Papas.
Got to agree with you there, Pelo. I've just installed QTWeb to Slacko 570, running on a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit 'nano' flash drive. Super lightweight.....great fun, indeed. Curiously, however, the 'Edit' & 'Quote' buttons at the top of your posts appear to be missing. I guess I'll have to check dependencies, see what should be there.....and isn't.

EDIT: No need; I've downloaded the .pet version of 3.8.4-2 from the French Forum, as you linked to here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 518#882518

'Edit' & 'Quote' buttons now showing, and working nicely. Thanks!

Mike.

OscarTalks

#38 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet 8.0.0.0 is now out.
They call the first one a beta whenever they upgrade the Chromium base.
Now based on Chromium 48.0.2564.97
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Oscar.

Now using version 8.0.0 in Precise 5.7.1. Working absolutely perfect; no problems at all. Cheers!

OscarTalks

#40 Post by OscarTalks »

SlimJet version 9.0.0.0 is now available
based on Chromium 49.0.2623.75
still comes bundled with Pepper Flash 20.0.0.306
but is now auto downloading and recognising Pepper Flash 21.0.0.197 in the 32bit version. This gets stored in the sub-directory in the profile so obviously the browser looks in there for the latest version.
Oscar in England

backi

#41 Post by backi »

Hi Folks !
Why i cant'nt make slimjet running .
Using tahrpup 6.0.5 .

Loading Slimjet sfs .

In terminal:
root#flashpeak-slimjet
root#aborted

Tried in Puppy Precise ......also .. no luck .
What's the trick ?

OscarTalks

#42 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello backi,

With my modified packages if starting from terminal use the command slimjet

Alternatively you do get a menu entry which should work or a .desktop file with icon in /usr/share/applications which you can drag onto your desktop and rename.

Or are you saying that this version doesn't work but an earlier one did?
Could it be that your hardware is not supported?
It runs OK for me on various test machines.
Oscar in England

backi

#43 Post by backi »

Thanks Oscar ...
But earlier Version did not work .
Started with Terminal :
slimjet
aborted

Destop icon in /usr/share/application exists ...

Running an older Toshiba 3000 Satellite .
Intel Celeron M .

So seems workingn out of the box for most of the people here .
Maybe ....as you stated.... has to do with Hardware .

O.K ......Thanks for your reply Oscar.

Sylvander

#44 Post by Sylvander »

Slacko-5.7.0-pae->slimjet-9.0.0.0-slack14.0.sfs is loading and running OK on my desktop PC. :D

backi

#45 Post by backi »

Hi Sylvander !

The Slack sfs did the job !

Strange ...is'nt it ?
Thanks !

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, Oscar.

Now have the SlimJet Precise, Tahr & Slacko 9.0.0.0 packages running on all Pups in my sig. No problems to report so far.

I am curious about one thing, though. Since Google have now officially dropped 32-bit Chrome, where's the incentive for Adobe to continue maintaining & developing 32-bit Pepper? You can't get hold of it for Chrome through the normal channels...

Ah, well; ours not to reason why, I suppose. I'm not questioning it, anyway; I know at least one other person who'll be pleased to get hold of the newest version...!

Cheers.

Sylvander

#47 Post by Sylvander »

"The Slack sfs did the job !"
Nice one. :D

OscarTalks

#48 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet 9.0.1.0
Only adds support for video backgrounds on the new tab page. Just decorative bling rather than functionality but maybe some people like all that.

@ backi
The slack version has --disable-namespace-sandbox which Slacko needs but which I thought was not needed in the deb versions but maybe in some types of hardware it is needed so I have added it to all versions. Perhaps you would like to try the precise and tahr versions again in your machine when you have a few moments?
Oscar in England

backi

#49 Post by backi »

Hi Oscar Talks !
Tried it .... but i have to say ...Slimjet is'nt my cup of tea .

I am highly satisfied with Palemoon ......can't be beat ...
....in my opinion .

Cheers !

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Some information for you. Following the NetFlix testing for Chromium, like I said, I would love to get it up-and-running in SlimJet.

Accordingly, I've done the following:-

In SlimJet 9.0.0, I've copied over the WideVine modules from your Chrome 48.0.2564.97 (the last 32-bit Chrome we're going to get), checked in 'chrome://flags' (actually 'slimjet://flags') to see if 'Encrypted Media Extensions' was enabled by default (it was), then started SlimJet, and gave NetFlix a whirl.

Usually, what happens when I select a movie, or whatever, is that it goes straight to the error page. On this occasion, I got the red 'spinner' in the centre of the black screen, followed by the 'show' page for the movie, as though it was about to start playing.....and then it goes to the error page. :?

This time, I've made a note of the Error:Code in the bottom left corner of the screen. NetFlix's Help Centre gives the following, for this particular code:-

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22952

What do you reckon? It's getting further through the process before the error shows, this time, so.....I don't quite know what to make of it.

Do you know if HTML5 support is enabled in SlimJet.....and if so, how do you check for it?