Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
greengeek

#151 Post by greengeek »

If I delete everything from the /root/.config/slimjet/default directory - except the preferences file - then restart slimjet it will retain the ""force_flash_on_youtube":false," parameter and start ok - although the "Welcome to Slimjet" tab says internal server error (no matter).

Then I tried to get fancy and delete the stuff prior to ""force_flash_on_youtube":false," in the preferences file and got the following response.

I will try to see if any edits of that file are permissible. It would be nice to trim it just to the bare minimum but I suspect it is full of machine specific checksummed info.
Attachments
NiceTry.jpg
(30.13 KiB) Downloaded 1762 times

OscarTalks

#152 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet 17.0.3.0 (32bit)
Starts and runs in Xenial and Dpup Stretch (both of which have libgtk3 included).
Probably won't work in other/earlier Puppies without tweaks and additions.
Only tested briefly. Treat as strictly experimental.
Runs as spot (profile is under /root/spot).
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1
Oscar in England

sleeper48

#153 Post by sleeper48 »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet 17.0.3.0 (32bit)
Starts and runs in Xenial and Dpup Stretch (both of which have libgtk3 included).
Probably won't work in other/earlier Puppies without tweaks and additions.
Only tested briefly. Treat as strictly experimental.
Runs as spot (profile is under /root/spot).

I tried it in slacko 5.6, no luck. Installs, but won't open. Have 15.1.6.0 pet installed over 14.0.16.0-slack pet, runs well.

peebee

#154 Post by peebee »

A run-as-spot 32-bit sfs version of slimjet-17.0.3.0 including GTK-3 libs and PepperFlash

Tested on LxPupSc-18.01 and ArtfulPup-17.11
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

spiritwild

#155 Post by spiritwild »

Tested on LxPupSc-18.01 and ArtfulPup-17.11
Also working on LxPupXenial 16.08, although I converted to pet.

thanks peebee

Marv

#156 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:A run-as-spot 32-bit sfs version of slimjet-17.0.3.0 including GTK-3 libs and PepperFlash
Just loaded the SFS and set it up on LxPupSc 18.01 +2T. Added my bookmarks, ghostery, adblockplus, click&clean and customized the start page, cache size, tab behavior etc. Sets up just like all the Slimjets and seems to be running perfectly. I've dragged my feet on spot if not on spots (see the avatar) but I guess it's time.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

festus

#157 Post by festus »

I have been running both slimjet-17.0.3.0 sfs's from OscarTalks and peebee, on xenial-7.5 & slacko-6999, with much satisfaction.

I am testing two different profiles, in which the only difference is one has ghostery while the other has privacy-badger; however both profiles have Click&Clean, and HTTPS Everywhere.

The profile with ghostery is larger by about 14 MB.

I have not been using these chrome based browsers very long as I've always used palemoon/ffx because I am able to harden them using the "about:config" adjustments.

Are there any guides or suggestions in order to config the chrome based browsers?

Anyway, thank you both, OscarTalks & peebee

bliss,
festus

roadkill13

Slimjet 19.0.9

#158 Post by roadkill13 »

I have been testing upup bionic beaver 18.05 and noticed that OscarTalks has updated his repo to include the 32 bit version of Slimjet 19.0.9.0. It is working quite well so far.

Thank you very much OscarTalks!

OscarTalks

#159 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet 20.0.4.0
32bit version
Based on Chromium 68
I added the ffmpeg.so upgrade with extra codecs as recommended.
Also updated flash but that is not used much now.
Runs as spot so be aware that it downloads files into /root/spot
Works in Dpup Stretch and probably Xenial and Bionic

For 32bit Tahr:-
Install libgtk-3 via PPM
Update Palemoon (installed into /opt) to recent version, 28.1.0 or even 27.9.4
This Slimjet then works.

Repackaged as .pet and .sfs and uploaded strictly for testing
Oscar in England

Marv

#160 Post by Marv »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet 20.0.4.0
32bit version
Based on Chromium 68
Thanks for the push! Slimjet 20.0.4.0 now works with my weather loops that had been problematic since 18.0.5.0 so I can now use it. Tried your SFS out in upupcc beta1 first, modifying the /usr/slimjet startup script to jigger the downloaded files permissions ala peebees run-as-spots. Runs perfectly there. I then rolled my own 64b from a slimjet deb download, adding the additional libs needed for slackware and again used the startup scripts like those in peebees run-as-spots to 'handle' downloaded file permissions. Tested that one in lxpupsc64 18.06 +9. Runs well -and FAST- there also. Both happily share a common profile linked from a spot directory on the EXT2 data partition. I haven't yet added the additional libs to the 32b version to test it in any 32b slacko derivatives but don't anticipate any major probs there. I'll also test in upupbb later but as it works in upupcc I also assume :roll: it will be fine there. Glad to be sort of caught up after a while.

Edit: 32b version tested in upupbb 18.05 +14. Runs fine. Additional libs needed for slackware derivs added in to the 32b version and tested in LxPupSc 18.06 +5 and LxPupBionic 18.05 +12. Runs correctly in both those also.

Edit2: The contents of the /usr/bin/slimjet script I'm using are (from peebees run-as-spot slimjets):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/slimjet:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
run-as-spot flashpeak-slimjet "$@"
chown -R root:root /root/spot/Downloads/*
#/usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash -placement center -bg yellow -fg black -timeout 4 -text "REMINDER: Any downloads will have SPOT ownership but any items in /root/spot/Downloads have been changed to ROOT ownership" &
Exporting the library path is no longer necessary and I have used peebees ownership work-around long enough so I disabled the reminder line.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

DuMar

#161 Post by DuMar »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet 20.0.4.0
Works in Dpup Stretch and probably Xenial and Bionic
Repackaged as .pet and .sfs and uploaded strictly for testing
Works fine in Xenial 32 I used the SFS. Good alternative for the Palemoon 29 edtion.

Thnx Oscar

DuMar

#162 Post by DuMar »

However I did find a small problem:

Using Xenial 32 frugal install. And I use slimjet 2.0 SFS (yadi.sk)

When I want an e-mail (I use sylpheed) to open with a browser because there's html in it I use "open with" and slimjet.

The browser opens and the tab says: file not found. The link is

file:///root/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

When I copy/paste this in Palemoon it opens. When I use open with and choose Palemoon it opens also. When I go to .sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp and click on mimetemp-5.html I get the same error in Slimjet.

Has this something to do wtih spot? Is there a solution?

Sylvander

#163 Post by Sylvander »

slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

slimjet-14.0.16.0-slack14.0.sfs does run: that's what I normally use. :D

OscarTalks

#164 Post by OscarTalks »

DuMar wrote:However I did find a small problem:

Using Xenial 32 frugal install. And I use slimjet 2.0 SFS (yadi.sk)

When I want an e-mail (I use sylpheed) to open with a browser because there's html in it I use "open with" and slimjet.

The browser opens and the tab says: file not found. The link is

file:///root/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

When I copy/paste this in Palemoon it opens. When I use open with and choose Palemoon it opens also. When I go to .sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp and click on mimetemp-5.html I get the same error in Slimjet.

Has this something to do wtih spot? Is there a solution?
Hello DuMar

I do not have a definite answer for this, but it probably is a limitation caused by the fact that Slimjet is running as spot but Sylpheed is running as root. I can get some of the other Chromium derivative browsers to run as root if I sacrifice sandbox (eg Vivaldi), but Slimjet refuses to run as root whatever I try. Not sure if running Sylpheed as spot as well might be a solution. This would probably mean that the .html file would be

file:///root/spot/.sylpheed-2.0/mimetmp/mimetmp-5.html

The Sylpheed profile would be under /root/spot and it would have the correct permissions for Slimjet

Although I have compiled Sylpheed in the past I have never actually used it. I only ever use webmail. Maybe someone else will know for sure how to solve this.
Oscar in England

Sailor Enceladus

#165 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sylvander wrote:slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

Same here :D

pp4mnklinux

version 20 INSTALLED. Slimjet web browser

#166 Post by pp4mnklinux »

@mikeslr

I installed versión 20 of slimjet at XENIAL PUP 7.5 X64 doing a SMALL TRICK.

First of all, I modified the name of the slimjet folder located at host (to save what works)

Then I downloaded the 18 pet versión of this soft, located at: https://t.co/vEVfshPfZW

I change the name too, and then I downloaded the last SLIMJET versión (20) from the official page, (tar.gz x64) I uncompressed it and now its working.

ITS REALLY FAST.- TRYING

HAVE A NICE DAY

stvjhson wrote:I've run into this Slimjet browser a few days ago. It is from the same company (FlashPeak) which made the SlimBoat browser. To clarify the difference, SlimBoat is based on the community-maintained webkit while Slimjet is based on Google's blink engine. As a matter of fact, most browser vendors have chosen to go with Blink and I guess FlashPeak has decided to follow the suit.

The linux version is released a couple of days ago. I tried it on precise puppy 5.7.1 and it works smoothly. They provide a 50+ MB tar.xz archive which you can just extract and run out of the box.

As far as features are concerned, most of the features available in Chromium are kept while there are an impressive set of additional features such as facebook sharing, customizable toolbar, video downloading, etc (similar to SlimBoat). And yes, it can sync all the bookmarks in your google account and is compatible with most Chrome extensions.

I've attached a screenshot of Slimjet running on precise 5.7.1.

The home page is http://www.slimjet.com
The download page is http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

On the download page, choose the 32-bit tar.xz zip package.
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

belham2

#167 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
Sylvander wrote:slimjet-20.0.4.0-i686.sfs doesn't run in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :(

Same here :D

Same here, sort of.

This is using rg66's X-tahr2.0-XFCE & trying Oscar's SFS differing versions. The 14.0.16.sfs runs crazy fast in X-tahr2.0-XFCE. But any of the other SFSes, on up to the latest 20 sfs, from Oscar's download, refuses to run/start.

I've tried unsquashfs/mksquashfs and copying in just certain files from Slimjet 20 version back the 14 version, but no luck.

Anyone get anything higher than Slimjet version 14 working in 32-bit Slacko and/or X-Tahrs?

DuMar

#168 Post by DuMar »

Sure, I use Slimjet 20.0.4.0

Works fine in Xenial 32 I used the SFS. Good alternative for the Palemoon 29 edtion.

Terry H

#169 Post by Terry H »

I downloaded peebee's slimjet_lxsc_spot_21.0.3.0.sfs. I replaced an earlier slimjet_19.sfs. It's working fine in stretch puppy 7.5 rc3.

Marv

#170 Post by Marv »

I just updated my 32 bit Slimjet from peebees 21.0.3.0 run-as-spot to 21.0.8.0, also running as spot. I'm running them in LxPupSc 19.01 +2, upupbb 18.05 +26, upupcc 18.10 +14, and LxPupBionic 18.05 +23. The only problem I had with 21.0.3.0 was that entering some router admin pages it would crash -a known bug- fixed in 21.0.8.0.

I downloaded the 32b 21.0.8.0 deb from Flashpeak-Slimjet, extracted it to a dir, added the libs required for slackware (same as in 21.0.3.0) and the run-as-spot scripts and rolled an SFS from it. Working perfectly. No problems with the symlinked external profile from 21.0.3.0.

I had previously done the above for the 64b 21.0.7.0 and run it in LxPupSc64, currently 19.01 +3, so I'll wait a bit to redo that one.

Both have spot symlinked to a spot dir on my EXT2 data partition and have the cache size set to custom, 0 Mb. It's actually faster loading the 'speeddial' icons from the internet than from a cache on the EXT2 partition, and it is a fairly fast SSD. For what I do I can't see any performance hit at all not running a cache.

@belham2, The newest Slimjet I have gotten to run in X-Slacko 4.4 is Slimjet 15.1.6.0. I still have one user machine running that combo. Very reliably I might add.

Cheers,