Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stvjhson

Slimjet web browser

#1 Post by stvjhson »

I've run into this Slimjet browser a few days ago. It is from the same company (FlashPeak) which made the SlimBoat browser. To clarify the difference, SlimBoat is based on the community-maintained webkit while Slimjet is based on Google's blink engine. As a matter of fact, most browser vendors have chosen to go with Blink and I guess FlashPeak has decided to follow the suit.

The linux version is released a couple of days ago. I tried it on precise puppy 5.7.1 and it works smoothly. They provide a 50+ MB tar.xz archive which you can just extract and run out of the box.

As far as features are concerned, most of the features available in Chromium are kept while there are an impressive set of additional features such as facebook sharing, customizable toolbar, video downloading, etc (similar to SlimBoat). And yes, it can sync all the bookmarks in your google account and is compatible with most Chrome extensions.

I've attached a screenshot of Slimjet running on precise 5.7.1.

The home page is http://www.slimjet.com
The download page is http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

On the download page, choose the 32-bit tar.xz zip package.

wboz

#2 Post by wboz »

How is memory usage? I have used Slimboat and Slimbrowser on Windows previously and it was a massive memory saver -- very cool for machines where RAM was the most limiting factor.

My major complaint is they seem to have trouble either with development commitment or branding (not sure which) ... every few years they come up with a new browser name and the older one seems to go stagnant. In this case it's Slimjet, but, at least I'm glad it's available for Linux.

Other questions:
Is it in the Ubuntu repositories?
Does it let you set maximum cache size?
Does it support GPU hardware acceleration? (Chrome doesn't, which is why I keep firefox around ... not sure what Google is thinking given the lead they're taking in WebGL sites)

stvjhson

#3 Post by stvjhson »

I haven't found it in ubuntu repositories yet. Maybe it will take some time to get there.
Yes. it has option to set cache size and directory.

I am not sure about the GPU acceleration. I see there is an option called "Use hardware acceleration when available". I guess the actual availability depends on the graphics driver.

As for the brand change, I can understand those guys to some extent. SlimBoat is probably more memory efficient and takes less hard disk space since the qtwebkit engine is more compact than blink. However, webkit is falling behind in terms of html5 support compared with blink. You will run into compatibility issues with various websites in the case of SlimBoat.

And there is the flash support issue. If you want to stay up to date on the flash player, you have to go with blink+google's pepper flash. Otherwise, you are stuck with flash v12 forever.
wboz wrote:How is memory usage? I have used Slimboat and Slimbrowser on Windows previously and it was a massive memory saver -- very cool for machines where RAM was the most limiting factor.

My major complaint is they seem to have trouble either with development commitment or branding (not sure which) ... every few years they come up with a new browser name and the older one seems to go stagnant. In this case it's Slimjet, but, at least I'm glad it's available for Linux.

Other questions:
Is it in the Ubuntu repositories?
Does it let you set maximum cache size?
Does it support GPU hardware acceleration? (Chrome doesn't, which is why I keep firefox around ... not sure what Google is thinking given the lead they're taking in WebGL sites)

redandwhitestripes

#4 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hoping somene can help. Runing the latest tahrpup on a frugal install. I followed the instructions here and from the slimjet website - downloaded the tar.xz package, extracted in a folder in my root. When I try to run flashpeak-slimjet I get this:

Code: Select all

root# ./flashpeak-slimjet 
[10036:10036:0720/091306:ERROR:desktop_window_tree_host_x11.cc(812)] Not implemented reached in virtual void views::DesktopWindowTreeHostX11::InitModalType(ui::ModalType)
[11346:11346:0720/091306:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(352)] glxQueryVersion failed
[11346:11346:0720/091307:ERROR:gl_surface_x11.cc(56)] GLSurfaceGLX::InitializeOneOff failed.
[11346:11346:0720/091324:ERROR:gpu_child_thread.cc(161)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
...with a pop up message saying slimjet cannot run as root so specify a different usr-data dir if I want to run as root.

If I run as Spot, I get:

root$ ./flashpeak-slimjet 
Failed to create secure directory (/root/.config/pulse): Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(417)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(253)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(253)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(277)] Failed to create /root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(417)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1242)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
Last time I tired I also managed to bring up a list of dependencies (with none missing) but I can't recreate that now.I think it happened when I tried to run slimjet-sandbox but now it doesn't happen.

Can anyone help? I really want this to run as Seamonkey lags on my compaq presario 2500.

Galbi

#5 Post by Galbi »

@redandwhitestripes, as Slimjet it's a chromium derivative I think it has to be launched as

./flashpeak-slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet
Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

redandwhitestripes

#6 Post by redandwhitestripes »

That worked, thank you.

Marv

#7 Post by Marv »

I'm running it under X-slacko 3.0n. Runs well, no crashes, loads and renders fairly quickly. The following caveats:

The usual stubbornly placed tabs on top ala chrome. No extensions or plugins to move them available as in Firefox.

Must be run from an EXT2 filesystem so I can't run it from a directory on my boot partition as I do with most of my browsers.

I don't run it under the opt directory (the default option) but from a directory on my second disk partition. I made a wrapper in that directory incorporating

./flashpeak-slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet
And slightly modified the flashpeak-slimjet script to add the correct local lib path to LIBPATH. Could also do that in the wrapper I suppose.

Got it working, now I'll see if I use it :?

Edit: I find I am using it some so I jiggered my wrapper a bit so the flashpeak-slimjet script they provide is unaltered. As an example only, the wrapper I use is:

#!/bin/bash

LIBPATH=./lib
#echo  local library path is: $LIBPATH

if [[ -n "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ]]; then
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LIBPATH:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
else
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LIBPATH"
fi
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/mnt/sda2/Slimjet/slimjet/flashpeak-slimjet --user-data-dir=./profile
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Testing the latest SlimJet version.
In Precise the only way I have found to get it to run so far is to disable the SUID sandbox. This then causes a warning infobar at each start-up but I can disable infobars as well to get rid of those if I want.

The nacl_helper binary does some strange things. It only finds the NSS libs if they are symlinked into /usr/lib (or /lib) from the slimjet subdirectories or from the seamonkey (or firefox) directory. Even if I add the library paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH the nacl_helper does not see them and it gives errors in console although the SlimJet browser does still start.

In Dpup Wheezy the SlimJet browser will also run (without the SUID sandbox) although this Pup does already have some symlinks from firefox into /usr/lib and there are some additional whinges in terminal but they may be nothing serious.

In Slacko 5.7 non-PAE (after adding libgconf2 as usual) it seems I also need to disable the namespace sandbox otherwise it just hangs with no output or gives me "Aborted".

I have had a go at assembling another version which has sandboxing enabled. This one seems to run sweet as a nut in TahrPup (but not in the earlier Pups) either from the menu entry or just type slimjet in terminal.

As with all these recent Chromium derivatives it is BIG and really it is intended to be run only in fairly recent distros.

I will upload my experimental packages here (Yandex Disk) :-
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
and update them if I am able to improve them.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

I'm using "slimjet-4.0.15.0-slack14.0.sfs" in "Slacko-5.7.0-pae".
It seems to be working just fine, except...
I don't know how to move the top and left edges of the window to the edges of the monitor screen.
I left-click and hold on the top border, but the window doesn't move.
Bottom and right edges are OK, using "Resize".

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Sylvander,

If you want to move the entire window (not maximised) you should be able to do the usual of hold down the Alt key and then left-click and drag anywhere in the window to move the whole thing.

Also if it helps you can put the normal JWM window borders around it from within the Settings by ticking "Use system title bar and borders".
Oscar in England

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

1. "hold down the Alt key and then left-click and drag anywhere in the window to move the whole thing."
Done.

2. "put the normal JWM window borders around it from within the Settings by ticking "Use system title bar and borders"."
Done.

My thanks to you. :D

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

redandwhitestripes wrote:If I run as Spot, I get:

root$ ./flashpeak-slimjet 
Failed to create secure directory (/root/.config/pulse): Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(277)] Failed to create /root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock: Permission denied
[18307:18307:0720/091809:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1242)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
Did you succeed in getting it to run as spot? OscarTalks Slacko package runs very nicely for me in Slacko 5.6 but not if I try to "run-as-spot".

EDIT : Actually I just discovered I get different symptoms depending on whether I run slimjet normally BEFORE I run it as spot, or whether I just run it as spot only.
What I mean is this:
If I reboot with no savefile and run slimjet as spot it runs fine, but the terminal shows this:

# run-as-spot slimjet
[1930:1930:0912/073911:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(171)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[1930:1930:0912/073911:ERROR:simple_message_box_views.cc(228)] Unable to show a dialog outside the UI thread message loop: Failed To Create Data Directory - Slimjet cannot read and write to its data directory:

/root/.config/slimjet
[1930:1930:0912/073917:ERROR:navigation_entry_screenshot_manager.cc(151)] Invalid entry with unique id: 1
[0912/073921:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(310)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly
And if I try to run slimboat normally it runs happily but I get the following terminal messages:

# slimjet
[3553:3553:0912/074008:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(171)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[3553:3553:0912/074013:ERROR:navigation_entry_screenshot_manager.cc(151)] Invalid entry with unique id: 1
[0912/074016:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(310)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
However, if after having run slimjet normally I then try to run it as spot it wont run and gives the following:

# run-as-spot slimjet
[4194:4194:0912/074019:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(171)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(417)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(253)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(253)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(277)] Failed to create /root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock: Permission denied
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(417)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[4194:4194:0912/074020:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1242)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
[0912/074020:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(310)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
# 
So it appears that running normally leaves some flag or config file lying around which affects the starting of slimjet via run-as-spot.
I run my puppy with no savefile so every boot is fresh and remembers nothing of what was run previously so run-as-spot works for me as long as I dont run slimjet normally first.
Hope this makes sense.

OscarTalks

#13 Post by OscarTalks »

The SlimJet packages I uploaded were set up based on the idea that the user would be running as root as normal in Puppy. I could not get this to work without disabling SUID sandbox. Also /root/.config/slimjet is specified as the --user-data-dir.

If you want to run as spot you can in fact let the SUID sandbox run but you would have to remove the switch from the flashpeak-slimjet wrapper script and it might be a good idea to edit the --user-data-dir to /root/spot/.config/slimjet as well. There are several variables and it is all a bit swings and roundabouts. Depends on how the user wants to approach it I guess. I tend to run as root with everything in /mnt/home including the profile location.
Oscar in England

dalderton

#14 Post by dalderton »

I have been running Linux for about 15 years and have never had any bugs or crawly things in my system. I started using Slimjet about 3 weeks ago and a couple of days ago I got an advertising bug i.e, clicking on a website and getting a new tab with an ad on it . Bad news. Anyway I uninstalled the slimjet program and am now using Opera devolepment program which uses the Chrome system and all is fine. I have used the old format Opera for years without problems for years but was reluctant to change because the new one does not have the mail incorporated in it but when I tried the Development model it is so much faster that I have kept it and used the gmail system for mail.
Anyway beware of bugs in Slimjet.
Regards Dennis

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

Sounds like what you got was a 'browser hijacker' -- probably a little extension that snuck in there when it shouldn't have. Not the browser's fault, by any means. Usually they work their way in by way of toolbars (if it didn't come with the browser, and it's a toolbar -- you don't need it and you probably don't want it) or by clicking on an ad by accident. Sometimes ads install things all on their own, but most of that is Windows malware, and you only need to worry about that if you've got WINE.

Speaking of malware ads -- ad content is only loosely (at best) determined by the actual website and its controlling party/parties -- it's almost never the website's fault if you get malware upon visiting them. If you get malware from an ad, report it in as much detail as you can, to the webmaster of that site -- chances are actually pretty high that they'll tell their ad provider to fix it or scram...

OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

New SlimJet versions are released frequently.
Change log includes its own Ad Blocker and a Turbo Downloader.

I will continue to upload some experimental packages.
Set up to run as root in various recent Pups
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Now hosted at Yandex Disk
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:I will continue to upload some experimental packages.
I am trialling the slack14 spot pet version and it is working well for me. Using this package (and also the previous version) i still experience a problem when using Google streetview for lengthy periods - the browser reports a crash but allows me to click a reload button to continue from where I was. The error messages imply that it is an out-of-memory condition of some kind.

I am asuming this may be specific to my Puppy as it is modified to run only in ram, and using a personalised sfs rather than a savefile. Maybe my basic system is not set up right to give slimjet whatever processing headroom it needs.

Google streetview does seem much faster with this browser than my normal firefox. Even in full page mode.

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Greengeek,

I sometimes take a look at things on streetview but I do so via Google Earth and I can tell you that it stores large amounts of data in cache as you move around. This fills up the savefile/RAM quite quickly. I expect this will be the same if you are on streetview via a browser. If I keep an eye on my freememapplet_tray indicator and take action before ram runs out there is a facility in the preferences of Google Earth which enables me to clear disk cache and memory cache. This brings back most of the free space and allows me to continue so it is similar to what you are describing with your SlimJet tests.
Oscar in England

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:If I keep an eye on my freememapplet_tray indicator and take action before ram runs out there is a facility in the preferences of Google Earth which enables me to clear disk cache and memory cache. This brings back most of the free space and allows me to continue .
That may be where my problem is - I have no savefile so my freememapplet doesn't help me see when I have run out of memory (or cache). I shall have a look and see if there is a way to force it to use swap or move its cache. Might slow it down though.

dalderton

#20 Post by dalderton »

I have a bug in Slimjet and am unable to remove-uninstall the program. It goes through the motions on the package uninstall but does not go away.I installed the latest one shown in this thread and it got all the speed dials etc off the old one after I had attempted to uninstall it.
Any ideas?
Regards Dennis.