Introducing April64 (and April i686 on page 12)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#331 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:When I tried to compile gimp 2.8.10 in April64
I got the following error

Code: Select all

gimpfont.c:30:31: fatal error: freetype/tttables.h: No such file or directory
When I checked where this file should be located (in Precise Puppy)
It is located in /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/ttables.h (see image)

April64 apparently locates it one level up which causes the error.

I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.

Anyway, try:

# ln -s freetype2 /usr/include/freetype
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

don570

#332 Post by don570 »

Barry wrote: I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.
I looked up the error on the Gimp forum and it's caused by an improper
version of python.

I will compile python properly on this distro and that should fix the problem.

scsijon

Intel problem April i686

#333 Post by scsijon »

I have a 'new-to-me' 'Silver' Optima 4:3 LCD Monitor that can give me up to 1280x1024@75hz (cost all of $15.00 at a local country market), great for the eyes. The box it's connected too is an old Acer V58145 (v5800 WGV) that's been good with Puppy since I got it. It's video is an Intel 82945G/GZ on-board chipset. I nowadays use it as my main 32bit development box.

I've just realized that with April's i686 6.9.4 the screen is only running at 1024x768@60hz (I checked it with the inscreen display);
So I dropped out of X and ran the wizard and it allowed me to set it at 1280x1024 and 75hz;
So I exited and started xwin;
It's back displaying at 1024x768 and 60hz;
Used the menu to access xorg.conf and that says I should be running 1280x1024@75.02hz.;
I restarted X and no change;
And any settings greater than 1024x768@60hz are set in the xorg.conf ok, but don't happen on starting xwin or even if I do a full reboot.

But starting it with quirky 6.1.4 it runs all the matrix's up to 1280x1024@75hz, with no problems.

Any sugestions where to go from here?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#334 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:
Barry wrote: I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.
I looked up the error on the Gimp forum and it's caused by an improper
version of python.

I will compile python properly on this distro and that should fix the problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#335 Post by BarryK »

Ah, Fatdog64 version 700 has just been released:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97855

I guess I had better think about Quirky/April64 7.0-final also.

Got a few things to fix and test. I am thinking can do it about Thursday this week.

All of this Wary/April naming will upset Ladislav at distrowatch.com. I might just announce it as Quirky64 and Quirky (32-bit) version 7.0.

...based upon April, will dump the Wary builds.

Wary is just a cut-down April, without all the llvm, mesa, xorg drivers, just has a very small selection of xorg drivers.

Ted Dog

#336 Post by Ted Dog »

As ISO files?? Liked Wary64 concept but lack of fast video keeps me from loving it.

Smithy

#337 Post by Smithy »

Currently trying Wary 64 CD.

Really good, cpu blowfish as fast as fatdog 64.

Just missing the firewall on/ off indicator (as with FD64)
and Xine comes up when clicking on DVD drive, a bit of messing around with the drive mounter and you can finally see contents of CD/dvd.

Is there a slackware(14?) repo or other that progs can be tried out, or does it all have to come from the April/Wary 64 repo?

One used to be able to dip into Ubuntu or Slackware packages?
Because pets don't seem to work anymore.

Maybe Mesa could be available as a package?

Good thing is it is easy to navigate and stable.

JustGreg

#338 Post by JustGreg »

I have been running Fatdog64 for awhile now, but, decided to give April64 a try.

The Compaq CQ58, which I use, is a UEFI machine. I do not have Window$ l on it. The suggested method of using April64 can not be used.

However, the Fatdog64 changes using REFI and the new Grub do work. I have installed April64 and sort of having it running on the CQ58. Here is the Grub entry that I use:

menuentry "Quirky 7.0.3 Test on sda3" {
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 07fdd8a9-efed-4de1-8b7c-#####
# above line searches for UUID and sets root to device with UUID
# savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64save.ext4 normal save file for fd64
# savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64save normal save directory only with 620
# 
	linux /vmlinuz 
	initrd /initrd
}
I did have to change the name of initrd.d to just initrd. April64 does boot and runs. However, it thinks it was started from a CDROM and runs in RAM. I have tried searching for the proper boot options, but it a case of too many items What are the proper boot options for April64? Thank you in advance for either the information or a web site where I can find the options. I hope this will be a help if I get it all working correctly.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

BarryK
Puppy Master

#339 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:I have been running Fatdog64 for awhile now, but, decided to give April64 a try.

The Compaq CQ58, which I use, is a UEFI machine. I do not have Window$ l on it. The suggested method of using April64 can not be used.

However, the Fatdog64 changes using REFI and the new Grub do work. I have installed April64 and sort of having it running on the CQ58. Here is the Grub entry that I use:

menuentry "Quirky 7.0.3 Test on sda3" {
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 07fdd8a9-efed-4de1-8b7c-#####
# above line searches for UUID and sets root to device with UUID
# savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64save.ext4 normal save file for fd64
# savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64save normal save directory only with 620
# 
	linux /vmlinuz 
	initrd /initrd
}
I did have to change the name of initrd.d to just initrd. April64 does boot and runs. However, it thinks it was started from a CDROM and runs in RAM. I have tried searching for the proper boot options, but it a case of too many items What are the proper boot options for April64? Thank you in advance for either the information or a web site where I can find the options. I hope this will be a help if I get it all working correctly.
You have posted to an old "retired" thread.

Please go here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=510

mpanek60

running best on f2fs 15 GB partition on 6 year old ssd drive

#340 Post by mpanek60 »

:D :D

B.K. Johnson

#341 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Barry
In a post here, I stated:
1. my boot flash drive has several puppies from which I can boot
2. It is my understanding that Quirky Unicorn and Quirky April allow for only a single quirky installation on a flash drive regardless of size.
3. Ipso facto, "quirkies" are not for everyone; multiple puppies are not accommodated on quirky installs.

I thought after posting in that thread, that I should really post here for Barry to confirm.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Jasper

#342 Post by Jasper »

Hi BKJ,

Your No (3) is incorrect (I use merely three flash stick partitions - two for Quirky unicorn and one with Precise 5.6). You might seek better advice from gcmartin: I can post links or screen shots suggesting you consult the paramids or approach a local university.

My regards

B.K. Johnson

#343 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Jasper
Your No (3) is incorrect (I use merely three flash stick partitions - two for Quirky unicorn and one with Precise 5.6).
Then I stand corrected. The intent of the post was for someone to correct me if my perception was wrong. Thanks.
You might seek better advice from gcmartin: I can post links or screen shots suggesting you consult the paramids or approach a local university.
Since you replied, since it is you and not gcmartin that is advising, I see no reason to seek advice from gcmartin. A more fulsome post from you would help. :wink:
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]