Introducing April64 (and April i686 on page 12)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#316 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin wrote:@BarryK, the Hardinfo package you are using does not have the updates that @Kirk secured for this community several years back. Multiple PUPs use it. Is there a chance you could update WOOFQ/April's?
No.

I had to roll hardinfo back to an earlier version, as it was crashing.

The crash was reported a couple of times, either earlier in this thread or the "quirky 6.0" thread.

One of those changes has broken x86_64, so I was forced to go back to an earlier version.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: UEFI

#317 Post by BarryK »

Volhout wrote:Will it boot secure under UEFI ?
No.

I have experimented with UEFI booting, not secure boot though.

I decided there are too many hassles. I could comment a lot more about it, but am restraining myself.

April/April64 and upcoming Wary64 all require "legacy boot" to be enabled on the PC.

This is far simpler.

There are various sites on the Internet that explain how to do it.

don570

#318 Post by don570 »

Right-click-april64-6.9.6.pet
(untick downloader box to avoid app)
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/5d241b71

- full screen view of video using vlc
-improved gettext of baconrecorder
-right click of office files possible
-added icon of inkscape
Last edited by don570 on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#319 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
..worth adding redshift..
Unnecessary waste of byte space? Stand up and close the blinds? Turn around in your chair? Use calories, live longer?
thank you sage, but were talking about April here and not Wary, April has it's own standards.

By the way, there is a wary64 coming according to barry on his website http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00169, and it's proposed to be going to be under 100meg if he can. I expect it will have it's own thread.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#320 Post by gcmartin »

Couple things
  • Hope WARY64 has its own separate thread.
  • Hope @BarryK has notice a couple posts in differing threads about use of SFSs at boot time to allow any user to boot into differing editions of a single distro. Closest OOTB solution is how @TaZoC did this, while @BattleShooter has exposed something he's found. Then, there are two other threads discussing methods tested where this is done (without calling it a single distro with several editions, yet this is in fact what they expose),

If this kind of thing is a follow-on method of PUP evolution, it would be great as the developer(s) can now address editions for a given distro's release, via a singularity.
Hope this knowledge is helpful.

gnomic

3g modem usage in Puppy

#321 Post by gnomic »

At present I am getting on the internet via a 3G modem. Alas I have never been able to use a Puppy to do so. Used to the ease of use with the dread NetworkManager as seen in many distros which incorporates a database of ISPs from round the world thereby simplifying the task of working out what is required to be inserted in that multitude of boxes. Typically in a Puppy of late the modem is seen (usb_modeswitch is go) but remains unusable as I can't work out what to tell it to make it go. Is there some guide to Puppy 3g modem usage for dunces, or is there some hope that wvdial in April will be usable by mere mortals? Comments anybody? Perhaps somebody who has managed to make this go?

Two aspects here I think, how to make a specific modem model connect, and what ISP specific info is required. The only 3g dialer (aside from NM) I have seen which works for idiots such as myself is sakis3g.

The modem is a ZTE model, don't seem to be able to get the current Debian live session to tell me exactly what model, and the ISP is called 2Degrees here in Aotearoa.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#322 Post by BarryK »

Yes, Wary64 has it's own thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97699

Wary64 6.98 (7.0RC) has been released.

peterw

usb 3g modems

#323 Post by peterw »

Hi gnomic

If you have a Puppy with the Puppy Network Wizard then it is easy after you have done it once. This reference gives you the information you need. If you manage to use your 3g modem with a Ubuntu then the settings you want are the same.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91082

As an alternative to 3g modems you can use an Android phone and tether you machine to it. I usually do this by a usb cable, but you can also make your phone as a wireless modem.

peterw

Volhout

#324 Post by Volhout »

BarryK wrote:
No.

I decided there are too many hassles. I could comment a lot more about it, but am restraining myself.

April/April64 and upcoming Wary64 all require "legacy boot" to be enabled on the PC.

This is far simpler.

Thank you for your response. I understand that this is currently outside the focus.

If my knowledge of the UEFI boot proces (secure) is correct this rules out all new Win8.1 systems as test platforms for April64. Enabling Legacy boot to boot April64 will disable booting into Microsoft (it is not possible to choose between Linux and Windows), unless Win8.1 is re-installed under Legacy boot.

I am not sure (honestly: too scared to try) if switching to Legacy boot makes you loose the pre-installed Win8.1 permanently. But even when not, modifying the boot method every time you change between OS'es is discouraging.... (exactly what Microsoft wants...I guess).

Please continue developing April64 and make it into a good product. When time comes, there may be a secure UEFI boot enabled version of it. I look forward to this time.

Jasper

#325 Post by Jasper »

Re: the information problem reported above, two days ago, by BarryK see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 286#827286

Pup-SysInfo-2.5.2.pet (from radky) will provide most of Hardinfo's info, plus more.
It is available here (see the last app from the extensive list)
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html

Billtoo

Introducing April64 (and April i686 on page 12)

#326 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 32gb sdhc card, pc is an Eee PC 701SD netbook.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 11 Feb 2015 on Quirky April 6.94 Linux 3.17.8 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)
oem: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.16.2
dimensions: 640x480 pixels (169x126 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900MHz
Core 0: @Intel(R) 1: @630 MHz

April 6.94 32bit runs well on this netbook.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(78.56 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

scsijon

MIDI?

#327 Post by scsijon »

Does anyone know how to setup a midi interface and check it's connection on these beasts. I have the midi-usb cables and an old casio 110 for source/speakers, i'm just getting no response from the systems, so I suspect something is either missing ( like a driver) or set wrong.

The MIDI Interface is a Ashton usbmd.

And, no I don't totally know what I am doing in this case as my own keyboard has it all inside (usb) and is automatic set and just plain works.

The casio is set for midi i/o and works with Precise 571 so the problem doesn't seem to be on that end, it seems to be something with April.

Any ideas where to start would be appreciated as it's all suppose to be going down to my niece for her use at uni at the end of the month and i'd like to have April loaded for her to brag about. She is NOT getting mine!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#328 Post by BarryK »

Volhout wrote:
BarryK wrote:
No.

This is far simpler.

Thank you for your response. I understand that this is currently outside the focus.

If my knowledge of the UEFI boot proces (secure) is correct this rules out all new Win8.1 systems as test platforms for April64. Enabling Legacy boot to boot April64 will disable booting into Microsoft (it is not possible to choose between Linux and Windows), unless Win8.1 is re-installed under Legacy boot.

I am not sure (honestly: too scared to try) if switching to Legacy boot makes you loose the pre-installed Win8.1 permanently. But even when not, modifying the boot method every time you change between OS'es is discouraging.... (exactly what Microsoft wants...I guess).

Please continue developing April64 and make it into a good product. When time comes, there may be a secure UEFI boot enabled version of it. I look forward to this time.
Enabling legacy boot does not disable Windows 8.1.

I have been through the exercise on a new UEFI Win8.1 Acer laptop, no problem.

I don't recall where, but I found a site with instructions. There is some kind of "fast boot" in Win8.1 that is supposed to be turned off. After that, hit the right key at bootup to launch what we used to call the "bios setup", and enable legacy boot.

I can't give any guarantees of course, but I have not read anywhere of enabling legacy boot causing Windows not to load.

EDIT:
Also, I don't have to change the "bios setup" anymore. The setup has a boot-check order, if a bootable usb or cd is not inserted, then it automatically boots Windows.

I purchased that Acer laptop recently, for a relative, but she has left it with me for awhile (actually, she has gone back to using her old laptop with Win7!). I am using it for testing.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: MIDI?

#329 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Does anyone know how to setup a midi interface and check it's connection on these beasts. I have the midi-usb cables and an old casio 110 for source/speakers, i'm just getting no response from the systems, so I suspect something is either missing ( like a driver) or set wrong.

The MIDI Interface is a Ashton usbmd.

And, no I don't totally know what I am doing in this case as my own keyboard has it all inside (usb) and is automatic set and just plain works.

The casio is set for midi i/o and works with Precise 571 so the problem doesn't seem to be on that end, it seems to be something with April.

Any ideas where to start would be appreciated as it's all suppose to be going down to my niece for her use at uni at the end of the month and i'd like to have April loaded for her to brag about. She is NOT getting mine!
You might be better off using Quirky Unicorn, with access to all the Ubuntu packages. Then you will have "off the shelf" solutions for midi.

don570

#330 Post by don570 »

When I tried to compile gimp 2.8.10 in April64
I got the following error

Code: Select all

gimpfont.c:30:31: fatal error: freetype/tttables.h: No such file or directory
When I checked where this file should be located (in Precise Puppy)
It is located in /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/ttables.h (see image)

April64 apparently locates it one level up which causes the error.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#331 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:When I tried to compile gimp 2.8.10 in April64
I got the following error

Code: Select all

gimpfont.c:30:31: fatal error: freetype/tttables.h: No such file or directory
When I checked where this file should be located (in Precise Puppy)
It is located in /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/ttables.h (see image)

April64 apparently locates it one level up which causes the error.

I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.

Anyway, try:

# ln -s freetype2 /usr/include/freetype

don570

#332 Post by don570 »

Barry wrote: I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.
I looked up the error on the Gimp forum and it's caused by an improper
version of python.

I will compile python properly on this distro and that should fix the problem.

scsijon

Intel problem April i686

#333 Post by scsijon »

I have a 'new-to-me' 'Silver' Optima 4:3 LCD Monitor that can give me up to 1280x1024@75hz (cost all of $15.00 at a local country market), great for the eyes. The box it's connected too is an old Acer V58145 (v5800 WGV) that's been good with Puppy since I got it. It's video is an Intel 82945G/GZ on-board chipset. I nowadays use it as my main 32bit development box.

I've just realized that with April's i686 6.9.4 the screen is only running at 1024x768@60hz (I checked it with the inscreen display);
So I dropped out of X and ran the wizard and it allowed me to set it at 1280x1024 and 75hz;
So I exited and started xwin;
It's back displaying at 1024x768 and 60hz;
Used the menu to access xorg.conf and that says I should be running 1280x1024@75.02hz.;
I restarted X and no change;
And any settings greater than 1024x768@60hz are set in the xorg.conf ok, but don't happen on starting xwin or even if I do a full reboot.

But starting it with quirky 6.1.4 it runs all the matrix's up to 1280x1024@75hz, with no problems.

Any sugestions where to go from here?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#334 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:
Barry wrote: I was able to compile gimp in T2 and in a april64, don't recall any difficulty.
I looked up the error on the Gimp forum and it's caused by an improper
version of python.

I will compile python properly on this distro and that should fix the problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#335 Post by BarryK »

Ah, Fatdog64 version 700 has just been released:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97855

I guess I had better think about Quirky/April64 7.0-final also.

Got a few things to fix and test. I am thinking can do it about Thursday this week.

All of this Wary/April naming will upset Ladislav at distrowatch.com. I might just announce it as Quirky64 and Quirky (32-bit) version 7.0.

...based upon April, will dump the Wary builds.

Wary is just a cut-down April, without all the llvm, mesa, xorg drivers, just has a very small selection of xorg drivers.