#61 Post by Ghost Dog »

I changed grub.cfg to say

Code: Select all

menuentry "Start Fatdog64-631.iso" {
loopback loop0  (hd1,0)/Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
This gave a similar error message to the one screenshotted above, except the "booting Fatdog" line is missing. So it was just

error: no such partition.
error: disk 'loop0' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
Press any key to continue..
So I changed the file to:

loopback loop0  (hd1,msdos1)/Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
This results in a black screen.
The Way of the Samurai

gcmartin

#62 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for your followup @Ghost Dog.

Your PUP booted.

On your Black screen issue, please post on the FATDOG thread that "you are able to boot but you're arriving at a Black Screen". They should be able to guide you appropriately. Others may want to repeat and use your approaches that this demonstrates; namely, that you are successful in booting FD ISOs on a UEFI PC.

Thanks again.

Ted Dog

#63 Post by Ted Dog »

The new release version just came out for fatdog64, I have been using a prerelease version ( testing before RC ) and it a solid version. Version 631 was good but had less support for video. 701 also was uncharacteristically poor for Fatdog64. Now with the corrected boot strings will be easy to add to grub config file.
Note I have not been able to do much, computers are in storage and its like drug withdrawal. :wink:

cimarron

#64 Post by cimarron »

I found I can boot a usb drive on UEFI machines by adding the /EFI/boot directory from refind (which fatdog also uses, I believe). I also had to change the refind.conf settings to make it always look for legacy bios bootloaders (it doesn't do this by default for PCs, only Macs), and enable deep legacy scan to detect the usb drive bootloader.

These are the relevant lines edited in refind.conf ("biosexternal" is for the usb drive bootloader):

scanfor internal,hdbios,external,biosexternal,optical,cd,manual

uefi_deep_legacy_scan
But basically I enabled UEFI booting on my multiboot usb drive by simply adding that directory, and refind found the syslinux bootloader. It also boots on BIOS machines since the MBR is not affected.

I don't have a Mac to test it yet, but it worked on a UEFI PC. This solution doesn't provide secure boot, like fatdog offers. But it allows using your existing bootloader rather than having to use GRUB2.

russoodle

UEFI on Win10..?

#65 Post by russoodle »

Seems like a brilliant innovation, although i haven't tested it yet. This 17" mac desktop i'm posting from was completely puppified a few years ago, using rEFInd. I also have a mac which i partitioned with rEFInd to boot either Puppy or OSX.....haven't used Window$ myself since 2007....oh, happy daze!! :D

A friend of mine has a new HP machine with Win10 (erk!) and the boot procedure on it is more stringent (arbitrary?) than that of W7,8 or 8.1, as i've discovered.

Before i go duckstuffing around with the horrible beast any more, i'm wondering if this UEFI.zip is likely to work on it..?

My thanks, regardless, for all the great work you collectively do..

Cheers,
russoodle
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Ted Dog

#66 Post by Ted Dog »

Worked for me with W10 pre-release eval copy. W10 does not seem to add any new benefits or restrictions via EFI bootloader. Newer hardware and W10 are attempting to lockout at the CPU level. IE win10 will only work on newer CPUs once people start to buy them. If, people buy CPU locked Windows 10 is still near future. To me it looks like another marketing/lock-in idea doomed to failure, or easily by-past once under pressure by hardware companies and IT professionals/Linux etc. like UEFI, was.

Ted Dog

#67 Post by Ted Dog »

@cimarron I used newest FatDog64 EFI, like I did to construct the one available on this thread, it has been updated and reEFI acts like you described in newest version.
Not sure I like the behavior, since it by-passed my grub2 config if a hybrid dvd or harddrive has other linux bootloaders was found. Also newer FD64-EFI boots much much faster there is like a 10 second hopping around when switching between ReEFI and Grub2 in this older version used in my .zip file.
I am going to look into both ideas and let the dust settle on this new extra boot-ie reEFI idea. There is no restrictions for someone just creating a reEFI .zip file and providing a more flexible ( you can choose GRUB2 or others ) solution. The purpose was to provide a no change no install no format idea to boot into a compatible linux using looped ISO file in this case supported by grub2 on a well locked-in windows8-10 EFI hardware. Once, past the 'blockade' you can get any other method to work.

russoodle

#68 Post by russoodle »

Ted Dog wrote:Worked for me with W10 pre-release eval copy. W10 does not seem to add any new benefits or restrictions via EFI bootloader. Newer hardware and W10 are attempting to lockout at the CPU level. IE win10 will only work on newer CPUs once people start to buy them. If, people buy CPU locked Windows 10 is still near future. To me it looks like another marketing/lock-in idea doomed to failure, or easily by-past once under pressure by hardware companies and IT professionals/Linux etc. like UEFI, was.
Thanks, @Ted Dog..
There is actually a noticeable diff in the boot options when you drill down into them though, namely the omission of the very option i was looking for, to disable the signed software, (as per the images on this page.
Next time i'm in my friend's neck of the woods, i'll have to check on the specifics of his OS...i just know it's retail..

PS: have you checked your PMs lately, Ted Dog?
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Ted Dog

#69 Post by Ted Dog »

disable the signed software
, is not needed with FatDog64, he has a Microsoft approved SIGNED key. You are trying to solve a problem that many other Linuxes never provided for. FatDog64 allows UNCHANGED security i.e. its still secure-booted into LINUX at the begging of the process you are asked if you ACCEPT fatdogs secure key for your hardware. Once accepted, your machine will boot Fatdog64 keys ( then we can boot via grub-loop the others ) whenever it or its 'keys' are given.

mikeslr

Can No-format Install be deployed from "bios" computers

#70 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Ted Dog,

I'm don't know if this question was specifically answered elsewhere. My "iffy" memory is acting up or normal --whichever. At any rate, you may recall that I do not have a computer requiring or even enabling UEFI/EFI.

But it was recently asked on the Beginner's SubForum how to enable booting on "any" computer via a USB-Stick. "Any" would encompass both UEFI/EFI and "Bios to bootloader/OS" computers.

My guess --or iffy memory-- was that your No-format install package could be deployed (installed onto) a USB-Stick from an "bios-bootloader" computer and then used to boot on both "bios-bootloader" and UEFI/EFI computers.

But I hedged my bet, indicating the inquirer might need 2 USB-Sticks.

I'd be interested if you knew the answer which I could link to this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100422

Thanks,

mikesLr

Ted Dog

#71 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes I have done it on purpose and by accident. Haven't found a simple way to make it predictable. My issue is I boot macs and they have a real issue with multiple bootloader mixes. However with only PCs you can setup an grub2, or isolinux bootloader. And keep first part a fat type.

Scooby

#72 Post by Scooby »

Was there an altenative download location.

I cannot get the uefi.zip downloaded?

When I press download I am asked to download and
install "uefi.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows"
that doesn̈́'t work on linux.

How to decipher datafilehost?

Ted Dog

#73 Post by Ted Dog »

:?: :?: :?: that doesn't sound right its just files host may have given you an AD for download if its the free site with tons of ads.
Have linux hosts should remove the one thats free due to all the ads. Others have complained but those who hosts linux made available where with computer hardware that is still in moving boxes. Lol can't do much on cell phone.

smokey01

#74 Post by smokey01 »

Ted Dog,
I have put your uefi.zip on my site. Hope you don't mind.
http://smokey01.com/software/utility/uefi.zip

Ted Dog

#75 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks first post updated..

Insomniacno1

Re: No-format install for UEFI based machines Win8 & MacTel

#76 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Ted Dog wrote:a complete package, rEFInd and grub2 ready to run inside zip. includes support security keys for linuxes in secure boot mode, and a txtfile config for standard Grub2 boots BOTH windows 8.1 hardware and Macs and fully configurable to replace grub4dos roll in newer hardware.
Preset for a few versions of puppylinux spins that can be loop booted. IE just a copy of ISO file as is, no disc to burn nor dd scary stuff.
Made to be copied by windows or MacOSX and booted using default EFI mode.

Updated host location March2016 old datahost gave exe which is not right, its a zip file.

after opening, copy to base of a fat formatted usbdrive, then download iso files and copy to same area.

here is what the flashdrive must look like

drivers
EFI
Fatdog64-631.iso
Fatdog64-700b2.iso
grub.cfg
keys
Shellx64.efi
unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso

=== included grub.cfg === linux formatted text (should/would) change to windows style cr/lf etc next round to allow editing from windows textfile editors..

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
menuentry "Start Fatdog64-700b2.iso -BETA" {
loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/Fatdog64-700b2.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}

menuentry "Start unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso -BETA VERY SLOW BOOT" {
loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz

}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
	fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}

already like it better than non iso file method I have used for months, nicely clean since FatDog64 has same named files inside..[/url]
Hi Ted Dog, don't you need bootia32.efi too since that is the only way it will boot with 32bit UEFI systems?

JBJ

jamesbond

Re: No-format install for UEFI based machines Win8 & MacTel

#77 Post by jamesbond »

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:a complete package, rEFInd and grub2 ready to run inside zip. includes support security keys for linuxes in secure boot mode, and a txtfile config for standard Grub2 boots BOTH windows 8.1 hardware and Macs and fully configurable to replace grub4dos roll in newer hardware.
Preset for a few versions of puppylinux spins that can be loop booted. IE just a copy of ISO file as is, no disc to burn nor dd scary stuff.
Made to be copied by windows or MacOSX and booted using default EFI mode.

Updated host location March2016 old datahost gave exe which is not right, its a zip file.

after opening, copy to base of a fat formatted usbdrive, then download iso files and copy to same area.

here is what the flashdrive must look like

drivers
EFI
Fatdog64-631.iso
Fatdog64-700b2.iso
grub.cfg
keys
Shellx64.efi
unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso

=== included grub.cfg === linux formatted text (should/would) change to windows style cr/lf etc next round to allow editing from windows textfile editors..

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/Fatdog64-631.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}
menuentry "Start Fatdog64-700b2.iso -BETA" {
loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/Fatdog64-700b2.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz
initrd (loop0)/initrd
}

menuentry "Start unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso -BETA VERY SLOW BOOT" {
loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/unicorn-6.2.1.91.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz

}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
	fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}

already like it better than non iso file method I have used for months, nicely clean since FatDog64 has same named files inside..[/url]
Hi Ted Dog, don't you need bootia32.efi too since that is the only way it will boot with 32bit UEFI systems?

JBJ
ootia32.efi is not included in the uefi.zip because I didn't build one back then.

You can get 32-bit grub2 UEFI from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... i686-1.txz - rename grub2.efi to bootia32.efi.

But I do not promise it will work. In fact, I have not tested it yet.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Insomniacno1

#78 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi Jamesbond, the only file, with grub, I could find in that package is grubia32.efi - I assume this is the one you want me to rename to bootia32.efi?

I have now tried slackware both 32 and 64 bit, Fatdog 32 and 64bit and can't get any of them to boot - I just end up in a grub prompt like what happened to Ghost Dog.

I used mkusb to wipe my usb(Sandisk 32GB Dual USB drive, usb 2.0) totally, then gdisk to remove all partition tables so grub would be gone. Then formatted to Fat32 and made boot flag - and extracted the uefi.zip from first post to the usb drive and copied fatdog iso file to the usb, the edited grub.cfg with geany and made sure everything were as suppose to.

Files on usb :

drivers
EFI
Fatdog64-702.iso
grub.cfg
keys
Shellx64.efi

added the renamed grubia32.efi, now bootia32.efi to /EFI/boot/

Unmount the usb and eject it.

Then boot to Tablets boot manager, and choose boot options.
Choose EFI USB Device

I get the menu were I just leave it on Fatdog64-702.iso

It then boot and I end up in black screen - it hanged!

Same as all the other times before.

What the heck is wrong with this thing?

Should I attach usbhub and keyboard and edit some boot parameter - in that case what?

Update: My troubles continued here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 735#925735

mmmrr

very belated apologiesto ted dog and gcmartin

#79 Post by mmmrr »

about a year ago i posted, and bumped! in this thread
but i never thought that my public email address might
not automatically forward forum notifications to my private
email address: that procedure had worked well for ages.

rereading this thread last night i came upon my posts with
useful responses from ted dog and gc martin and nothing from
me. i was appalled, mortified. sorry guys.

cheers, mm

bkbk

#80 Post by bkbk »

I tried to use this method to run 32-bit tahrpup 6.0.5_noPAE on a macbook "core 2 duo" 2.0 from 2006, but with no luck. Will this work with tahrpup?

I think I put all the right files on the flash drive. I tried to start up a few ways (holding down opt-m, opt, c) but either the macbook just started the mac os or it only presented the option to choose to start from the hard drive, which has only the mac os.