KUST OS 15.1 - 600 MB iso

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
umair

KUST OS 15.1 - 600 MB iso

#1 Post by umair »

Update (26-May-2015):
I have updated some of the core applications in KUST OS as per following detail:

JRE 1.7 to 1.8
Libreoffice 4.3 to 4.4
Gimp 2.8.4 to 2.8.10
Replaced Jitsi 2.5 (VOIP Client) with Pidgin 2.10.0
old getflash with getflash 1.5.6

I have included the following extra applications which will be useful for the users:
Python 2.7.8
peasyscan 2.6
rdesktop 1.7.6
dir-to-iso
Bulldog File Finder
Also have added some new wallpapers.
Here is the Download link.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
md5sum is : 5410d2e284de688db4007a14ab4af66a (kustos_new.iso)
Hope that it will be useful for the users:
UMAIR

Hello Everyone:
First of all I really like to thank rg66 and Geoffrey for their help. Thanks to noryb009 for 'Lin n Win'. Also there are many other persons in this forum who helped me as and when ever I faced any difficulty to learn this outstanding distribution.Today is the first day of new year 2015, also the release date of KUST OS 15.1. I set the version number 15.1 as its 2015 and the first release of KUSTOS ;-). The name KUST comes from the Institute "Kohat University of Science and Technology(KUST)" from where I completed my Masters Degree.Its based on rg66's X-Precise 2.4. The basic idea behind that was to include the necessary softwares which we usually use in our daily routine work. I have created the iso as well as Windows installer. The size of the iso is 600 MB plus[/b]. I have added arabic, urdu and mscore fonts with some icon themes and wallpapers. I have replaced the default startup sound with Linux Mint startup sound Theme.

Update (13-Jan-2015):
I have recompiled the KUST OS iso and removed the gimp startup Error as shown in the bottom of the screen. I have also updated the libreoffice. New KUST OS 15.1 ISO and EXE download link is :

md5sum is: 33a8b8c928bf50298b9e70e072f2ddb8 kust_os.iso

Following are the main packages which have been included:

JRE 7
Libreoffice 4.3.4
Skype 4.3
guvcview
Stellarium 0.11.1
Easypaint 0.1.0
Foxit Reader
Gimp 2.8.4
Jitsi 2.5 (VOIP Client)
Team viewer 9
Wine 1.3.6
Peazip 5.5.2
Audacity (Audio Player)
VLC 2.1.5
Getflash
Packit

Hope that this will be useful for someone :-)
Thanks

UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
(232.92 KiB) Downloaded 940 times
Screenshot2.png
(220.93 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
Screenshot4.png
(214.72 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
Last edited by umair on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 06:13, edited 14 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hi
A great anouncement for all of us. As it is a really big download, I would like to clarify some questions. But first statement: It is one of the rare Puppy's able also to write from right to left or not?

My questions:

What kind of PC equipment?
Is the use without usb key / CD drive (only harddisk) and frugal possible?

As your language is about common with Hindi, is the use of devaganari possible or, better, supported (espec. in the choices in dialogs)?

Are adequate Spell checking dictionnaries integrated (Urdu, Arabic, Hindi) or as *.sfs available?

What is with the in universities popular stuffs Latex, Lyx,, emacs, and derivates like mudela/lilypond ?

see pls. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61226

How long is the start (compared with standard Puppy with about 160 Mb) with all those 600 Mb (in the technic from RSH, modular technic with SaraB you don't need to start all the stuff at all: you start just in time! Second advantage: you can actualize each modul separately!)?

see pls http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&t=91422

Kind regards

umair

#4 Post by umair »

Thanks a lot ally: you are always ready to upload the ISOs when ever someone creates a custom Puppy ;).
oui wrote:

My questions:
What kind of PC equipment?
Is the use without usb key / CD drive (only harddisk) and frugal possible?
As your language is about common with Hindi, is the use of devaganari possible or, better, supported (espec. in the choices in dialogs)?
Are adequate Spell checking dictionnaries integrated (Urdu, Arabic, Hindi) or as *.sfs available?
What is with the in universities popular stuffs Latex, Lyx,, emacs, and derivates like mudela/lilypond ?
Oui : First of all let me clear that I am not a programmer but an ordinary user of puppy linux. Its just a customized version of rg66's X-Precise. I have added the urdu and arabic fonts for better webpage rendering. Initially I was interested to include Keyboard LayOut option in the panel but failed to do that (I am working on that and I hope that one day I will release the version who supports multiple Languages) .
The basic idea of this customize variant is for windows users who can install it with just double click in windows without knowing any technical things and can uninstall it easily without effecting anything. Also the iso is for advanced users who can use it with FRUGAL method as well as full Installation technique.
The PC requirement must be same as X-Precise requirement means Pentium-IV or above.
Thanks
UMAIR

umair

#5 Post by umair »

Some screenshots for Windows Users:
Download the Exe. file from the link in first post. Just double click to install it. Enjoy :-)
UMAIR
Attachments
Untitled.png
(117.95 KiB) Downloaded 3178 times
Untitled2.png
(82.66 KiB) Downloaded 3166 times
Untitled3.png
(102.12 KiB) Downloaded 3139 times
Untitled4.png
(115.65 KiB) Downloaded 3124 times
IMG_20150101_133833.jpg
(62.75 KiB) Downloaded 3188 times
IMG_20150101_133753.jpg
(71.65 KiB) Downloaded 3161 times

umair

#6 Post by umair »

Hello Everyone: I have notices that when I open Gimp Image Editor first time then it gives the following error. When I start it second time then it will give another error: (I have never seen these errors during the testing phase):
Can anybody have an idea why it is happening ?
Thanks.
(Sorry for double post)
Last edited by umair on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

umair

#7 Post by umair »

Hello Everyone: I have notices that when I open Gimp Image Editor first time then it gives the following error. When I start it second time then it will give another error: (I have never seen these errors during the testing phase):
Thanks.

umair

#8 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Everyone: I have notices that when I open Gimp Image Editor first time then it gives the following error. When I start it second time then it will give another error: (I have never seen these errors during the testing phase):
Thanks.
I have recompiled the image of KUST OS and removed the above GIMP Error. Now everything is working fine. Please see the first post.
Thanks
UMAIR

umair

#9 Post by umair »

Hi, if vlc in KUSTOS dont play HD media files then install the following vlc.pet to fix this:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... flower.pet
Thanks,
UMAIR

umair

gkrellm system monitor

#10 Post by umair »

gkrellm System monitor tool with multiple skins in KUST OS.
Here is the download link of pet file:

Thanks,
UMAIR

Colonel Panic

#11 Post by Colonel Panic »

I gave this a try but I'm sorry to say that I ran into problems when trying to install Chromium - one of the additional libraries I needed (probably libnss) wiped out one of the main desktop fonts and I ended up with squares and rectangles everywhere on my desktop instead of letters and numbers.

Apart from that though (and it mightn't even have been KustOS's fault), I thought it was a good and well thought out distro with most of the applications you need every day.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

umair

#12 Post by umair »

Colonel Panic wrote:I gave this a try but I'm sorry to say that I ran into problems when trying to install Chromium - one of the additional libraries I needed (probably libnss) wiped out one of the main desktop fonts and I ended up with squares and rectangles everywhere on my desktop instead of letters and numbers.
Apart from that though (and it mightn't even have been KustOS's fault), I thought it was a good and well thought out distro with most of the applications you need every day.
Hi CP,
Thanks for your comments and trying KUST OS. I have not tested the chromium or chrome browser yet. I will check that and update you soon.
UMAIR

umair

#13 Post by umair »

Colonel Panic wrote:I gave this a try but I'm sorry to say that I ran into problems when trying to install Chromium - one of the additional libraries I needed (probably libnss) wiped out one of the main desktop fonts and I ended up with squares and rectangles everywhere on my desktop instead of letters and numbers.

Hi CP, Sorry for late reply as I was busy in some domestic affairs. It is confirmed that Chromium is working fine in KUST OS. I have installed the .pet of chromium and placed the following lib files in /usr/lib/chrome-linux directory.
libclearkeycdm
libclearkeycdmadapter
libffmpegsumo
libnspr4
libnss3
libnssutil3
libplc4
libplds4
libsmime3
nacl_helper

Here is the screenshot:
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot-32.png
(176.48 KiB) Downloaded 2275 times

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

OK fair enough, I might have had the wrong version (of Chromium). May I ask which version of Chromium you installed, and is there a pet containing all the library files (libclearkeycdm etc.) to save me having to track them all down and install them by hand?

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

umair

#15 Post by umair »

Colonel Panic wrote:OK fair enough, I might have had the wrong version (of Chromium). May I ask which version of Chromium you installed, and is there a pet containing all the library files (libclearkeycdm etc.) to save me having to track them all down and install them by hand?

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Hi CP, I have installed chromium 29 in KUST OS. I have shared the .pet file alongwith all lib files. you can download that from here:

However I have noticed one thing, When I installed chromium with all missing library files, it shows the SQUID sandbox error as per following screen:
( I am sure that this is not the fault of KUST OS).

Then I have loaded the seamonkey 2.10 sfs file. (You can also download the seamonkey-2.10.sfs from the above mentioned link). Restarted the system. Chromium loaded successfully.
Hope this will work for you:
Thanks
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot3.png
(178.84 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times
Screenshot2.png
(87.06 KiB) Downloaded 2184 times

zagreb999

SUPER BOOT MANAGER

#16 Post by zagreb999 »

THANK YOU,
PLEASE DO MAKE A PET
FILE OF SUPER BOOT MANAGER
FOR KUSTOS
THAT WE CAN CHANGE ALSO
BOOT SPLASH NOT JUST SOUND.
REGARDS.

umair

Re: SUPER BOOT MANAGER

#17 Post by umair »

zagreb999 wrote:THANK YOU,
PLEASE DO MAKE A PET
FILE OF SUPER BOOT MANAGER
FOR KUSTOS
THAT WE CAN CHANGE ALSO
BOOT SPLASH NOT JUST SOUND.
REGARDS.
Hi Zagreb99: Which boot splash you want to change ?. You are talking about GRUB menu picture where I have write my name as well as my email address ?
Kindly give me the detail, so I can help you.

Thank you for using KUSTOS

Regards,
UMAIR

davec51

Accessing Network Files-- SOLVED

#18 Post by davec51 »

Kust OS is a great addition to the Puppy family. I'm using it with pleasure.
I have one annoyance. All my documents are on a Windows computer on a wired network. I can get to them easily with Kust OS, but the access is very slow; for example, it takes 6-7 minutes to get a folder with several hundred documents.
Is there a faster way?

Thanks Umair. Somehow trying for the remote files by the "network" button didn't work well. Directly putting in the address is fast and efficient.
Last edited by davec51 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

umair

Re: Accessing Network Files

#19 Post by umair »

davec51 wrote:Kust OS is a great addition to the Puppy family. I'm using it with pleasure.
I have one annoyance. All my documents are on a Windows computer on a wired network. I can get to them easily with Kust OS, but the access is very slow; for example, it takes 6-7 minutes to get a folder with several hundred documents.
Is there a faster way?
Hi davec51: Thanks for using and appreciating KUST OS. Can you give me the precise detail that how you are accessing your windows shared documents from KUST OS?
I access windows shared from thunar file manager with traditional smb syntax without any issues.
e.g: smb://ip-address-of-windoows (suppose smb://192.168.1.10 etc..)

Thanks
UMAIR

zagreb999

BOOT PICTURES

#20 Post by zagreb999 »

THANK YOU.

PLEASE, DO MAKE THAT NUMBERS AND LETTERS OF KERNEL "LOADING... VMLINUZ... INTRD..." COULD NOT BE SEEN.
DO MAKE AS IN LINUX MINT, UBUNTU... THAT WE CAN CHANGE BOOT PICTURES WITHOUT NUMBERS, LETTERS OF KERNEL.
REGARDS.