How to run multiple Linux ISOs from internal HDD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mekalu2k4

How to run multiple Linux ISOs from internal HDD

#1 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Guys,

There were many threads on how to make USB bootable with multiple ISOs. There are many questions if we can use external/ internal HDDs bootable with multiple ISOs.

For those guys who are looking for 'How to keep multiple linux ISOs on your internal HDD and want to boot into any OS you like" - here are the simple steps.

Please note that that it is done on Linux environment, no windows used here. What you need?

1. A bootable USB stick with any linux OS [I strongly recommend Puppy-linux 5.7. I will explain this later]

2. All the linux ISOs as you need. Download them and keep them on your bootable usb drive itself.

3. Any old laptop with internal drive cleaned up. We need to format obviously. Make sure that your data is taken out before you attempt this.

4. ISO booter linux version [Refer to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235] to download ISObooter for linux (about half way down on page 1). This thread also points to a windows based ISObooter - IMO this is very valuable thread]. You can keep this file on the bootable USB.

Steps:
1. Boot your computer into puppy linux with USB stick.

2.. Start Gparted application to partition/ resize partitions and to format your drive.

3. Delete any partitions if the HDD has. Then create a partition up to 80 gb max[see the picture] of fat32 type. And the rest as ntfs. The idea is to have a smaller partition (fat32) for all the ISOs - I believe 80gb is adequate. I tried with larger fat32, but the machine was running a bit slower.

4. Format both partitions with respective types - fat32 and ntfs. Now, important: Make the fat32 partition as bootable. just right click on the partition and select manage flags, and the check the box for bootable.

5. Now copy all the ISOs and bootable on to the your HDD/ fat32 partition. Then double click on ISObooter application on fat32 partition to follow the steps. Basically you have to say 'y' (for yes) for all the questions. The first question will ask you if you want to make this partition bootable.

That is it. You are done. Now remove your usb and reboot your computer. You see different ISOs listed you can select any ISO that you may want.

Note:
1. Why use puppy-linux? Some distros may not directly allow you to operate as 'root'. In that case you need to take the ownership of the partitions, mount them, change the isobooter to executable etc.

2. I used a 64gb pendrive. My computer was a Dell xps-18.4 inch tablet with 500gb internal HDD. Worked fine
Attachments
Screenshot-LINMIA.png
(165.05 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Screenshot - GParted.png
(36.43 KiB) Downloaded 348 times