Android programming in Puppy: "Studio"

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
LazY Puppy

#16 Post by LazY Puppy »

stemsee wrote:@LazY PuppY

Could you make one complete sfs module of latest java and sdk studio for easy distribution and use!?!?

:)
A complete SFS of Java Development Kit and Android Studio will be sized around 1 GB (low .gz compression) and will need at least 3GB of RAM uncompressed.

The Android Studio is executable directly from the location where it is stored - just needs the JDK loaded by SFS or installed by a PET File.

I have just downloaded the .zip File: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/studio/ide-zips/1.0.1/android-studio-ide-135.1641136-linux.zip
MD5: 7c8f2d0cec21b98984cdba45ab5a25f26d67f23a and extracted it to my external RoxApps Directory: /mnt/sdc2/RoxApps/Entwicklung.

Inside of the above path I've executed the file: /android-studio/bin/studio.sh which will execute the install wizard for Android Studio to download and install all the needed Files.

After all Files are downloaded and installed Android Studio appeared on the Screen and I've updated it from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 and restarted Android Studio.

Seems to work, though I haven't any clue how to use it. :lol:

---

Edit: 2015-02-04, 01:14, GMT+1

I have added a small Script to execute Android Studio and automatically loading the needed JDK Environment. Just edit the following parts inside of the Script and change Settings for your needs.
# User Settings for the Android Studio Data and Working Directories
# Edit this for your needs !!!
ANDROIDPATH="/mnt/sdc2/Android"
ANDROIDDATADIR="00-data"
ANDROIDSTUDIODIR="android-studio"
JDKSFS="jdk-1.7u25-i586.sfs"
# End of: edit this for your needs !!!
The attached .gz Archive is a fake .gz Archive!

Just remove the fake ".gz" file extension and make the Script executable.

Use this Script only after Android Studio was downloaded and completely installed.
Attachments
Simple-Starter-for-Android-Studio-102.gz
Fake .gz Archive! Remove the ".gz" and make executable
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 01:59, edited 3 times in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#17 Post by LazY Puppy »

Probably seems to work also in my Lucid based LazY Puppy.
Attachments
AndroidStudio-in-Lucid-based-LazY-Puppy.jpg
(140.44 KiB) Downloaded 1867 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Rattlehead

#18 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you! Seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It's a shame that I don't have the ram to run that bloated java thing... :roll:

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

... bloated java thing... :roll:
Actually, its not bloated. :)

It allows ANY developer to target, build, emulate, test and load for each Android version the developer would want his effort to work on. Like iOS, and Windows each version is "subtlely" different from every other version in the family.

Further, this offering by @LazY Puppy allows any user of the toolset to build for any x86 or ARM application as well as things which can/will be done for mobile and smartDevice application development.

Hope this explains what's included in the package.

Last, remember, that the package size DOES NOT have anything much to do with your RAM size. All of this is NOT resident in RAM assuming you have /mnt/home, swap, or peripheral storage. It just the packaging which is called by the modules being executed...not everything at once.

Thanks, for both, the raising of this thread and the current solution presented!

Hope others see the benefit(s) coming out of what is here as this increases the way PUPpies can be utilized. (Actually, if the word gets out that some PUP is providing an OOTB distro with this as a development feature, we should brace for those who would come to use it. Forum may need to create an area to houses the contributions and questions that would increase over time.)

LazY Puppy

#20 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have added a small Script to execute Android Studio and automatically loading the needed JDK Environment. Just edit the following parts inside of the Script and change Settings to your needs.
# User Settings for the Android Studio Data and Working Directories
# Edit this for your needs !!!
ANDROIDPATH="/mnt/sdc2/Android"
ANDROIDDATADIR="00-data"
ANDROIDSTUDIODIR="android-studio"
JDKSFS="jdk-1.7u25-i586.sfs"
# End of: edit this for your needs !!!
The attached .gz Archive is a fake .gz Archive!

Just remove the fake ".gz" file extension and make the Script executable.

The Script was added to this Post.

Edit:

This probably seems to work on a wider range of Puppies. Tested Android Studio in Slacko 593 and Tahr 60CE.

Executed using the simple StartScript for Android Studio
Attachments
AndroidStudio-in-Slacko-593-and-Tahr-60CE.jpg
(110.28 KiB) Downloaded 1863 times
RSH

Rattlehead

#21 Post by Rattlehead »

@gcmartin

just for the sake of clarity, when I said 'bloated java thing', I didn't mean the package posted here was bloated; I was thinking of the java programming language, because it is one of those high-as-hell level programming languages (like, "yes, to build a cathedral, you just invoke the "cathedral" class, with the color you want as an argument" :) ).

My experience with java programs is that they are a bit clumsy and sluggish, including, but not limited to, those in my phone. That's why I said it was 'bloated'. Maybe it wasn't the best term. (Also, to use the authority argument here, I think Torvalds the man himself does not like Java either).

As another innocent clarification,
Last, remember, that the package size DOES NOT have anything much to do with your RAM size
Yeah, I'm aware that all that stuff does not go into ram at the same time. What I meant was that, a bit earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that 2 Gb of ram are required to use the development environment, and further on, someone rose it to 3Gb, which disqualifies my Android aspirations at the moment (my current computer has 1Gb ram, which I always thought it was cutting edge; my previous computer had 64Mb, and the previous 48Kb! :) )

Rattlehead

#22 Post by Rattlehead »

I've changed the title of the thread, as per gcmartin's suggestion. I hope some people find the packages in here valuable.

LazY Puppy

#23 Post by LazY Puppy »

Anyone doing some Android Programming now?

Since I'm currently sick by some influenza I had dreamed a lot in the past.

Some probably cool Smartphone Apps and/or Web Searching Tools did come to my mind.

Regarding to that kinda stupid stuff like What's App I imagined something equal to this, but with the focus on education - to educate People like bark_bark_bark.

So there were:

- What's Right
- What's Wrong

Or since we are in Puppy Linux: let's develop our own Web Searching Tool, called: the

- Poodle

Just to name a few suggestions...

:lol:
RSH

l0wt3ch

#24 Post by l0wt3ch »

LazY Puppy wrote:Anyone doing some Android Programming now?
I actually just wrote my first Android app a couple of weeks ago. Nothing fancy, but I can finally scratch that off my bucket list.

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:Or since we are in Puppy Linux: let's develop our own Web Searching Tool, called: the
- Poodle
Great idea! I don't know if it's possible to equal Google without having the help of NSA, but worth a try!

technosaurus

#26 Post by technosaurus »

greengeek wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:Or since we are in Puppy Linux: let's develop our own Web Searching Tool, called: the
- Poodle
Great idea! I don't know if it's possible to equal Google without having the help of NSA, but worth a try!
I wrote a pretty quick indexer in javascript - It could be a lot faster in C using a GOTO based finite state machine. Then again the javascript version is pretty quick even though it does more than just indexing (for demo purposes), so it may be possible to make a node.js based indexer.
Attachments
bconroy-states.zip
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:I wrote a pretty quick indexer in javascript - It could be a lot faster in C using a GOTO based finite state machine. Then again the javascript version is pretty quick even though it does more than just indexing (for demo purposes), so it may be possible to make a node.js based indexer.
I unzipped the attachments and viewed the html (match) and it seems to work fine as a search tool - although it is case sensitive unfortunately.

How can this be applied across the internet though? How can anything ever rival Google when they are so embedded within the main internet server hubs?

EDIT : Interesting to compare the results of searching for:

It is a

versus the more literal:

"It is a"
Last edited by greengeek on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Puppy use for Android management

#28 Post by gcmartin »

Most everything that is done in Android or iOS is done within a Virtual Machine (JAVA). There are 2 primary ones, now that Lollipop is out. It should be expected that the Oracle one will disappear in the future. All apps run within one. Its the nature of the architecture.

An HTML app can run but most every one of those run in a browser or in a JAVA wrapper (my description).

Nothing hard, but, as is the case with all modern languages, syntax and compiler translations are the biggest issues for apps.

One item that is "traditional" with ALL Operating Systems, and development is the constantly changing objects and APIs as things mature. No different with Android. Thus an app coded for Ice Cream may not work in KitKat/Lollipop. In Linux, we have seen same things; for example version changes with GTK and QT and ... and .... Its frustrating for any/all developers, but, its the lay of the landscape.

There are several IDEs which make the task for app development and management of the objects one produces in the language as they code that are specifically designed for smartDevice development. One of the best/very best is eClipse. It is actively supported and most often times, new device development tools show up there to support app building.

There are several others specifically designed, too, that are not as heavy as the eClipse environment, but, eClipse is robust for a very good reason: its flexibility to design for any target. The Android feature is an example of that. When Lollipop released, the ability to build apps for it was there almost immediately. This is traditional.

There has been rumor floating around that Google might provide a native development app that runs directly on an Android device. But, that rumor has been around for years, and I am sure many of you can see why that might not be a good idea. ("bricking" is just one reason).

Currently I am not aware of any PUP that comes OOTB with a current JDK which would allow a PUP to make development a snap. Nor am I aware of any PUP that guides installation of, say, JAVA 8's JDK so that a user could setup a development system to build, test, and deploy apps for smartDevices they may own or want to build for.

I think I remember somewhere a note I received for installing a JAVA JDK PET/SFS for LightHouse64. I have to try and find those steps. Even if I do, still, it would be dated as JAVA has moved to V8 and there may be something subtle that changes the steps.

A system with enough RAM would be suitable for IDE support. Overall, its reasonable to expect that Linux would use less power than say a MS platform would use because of the nature of the system's design.

Could be a nice project to provide in the community, although, I foresee most developers wanting to stay with MS, though (only because of their familiarity with the IDE in Windows.)

This could probably be named the "Puppy Android/iOS Kit" if all components beyond JDK are described/included.

Thus, this IDE may be a bit more complex. As such a simpler one might be better suited. The issues that is important to any developer is to have an IDE which remains current and has the support to keeps up with the changes that comes with those version changes of i0S or Android ... accurately and timely.

FYI

technosaurus

#29 Post by technosaurus »

iOS uses objective C and now swift NOT Java. The only one area it beats android and this was only because Apple could control exactly what hardware is used where android wants to be able to run on anything supported by the Linux kernel.

To avoid having to compile and maintain every app for every platform, android needed to use a language with a virtual machine. Since Java was slow but had lots of broad support and lua was fast but had a narrow niche of support, Google rewrote the jvm to perform more like lua.

These days we could use llvm and its bitcode to do the same thing and program in any llvm supported language.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

#30 Post by gcmartin »

The environment for running apps in Android devices is one of 2 VMs for mobile that was referred to earlier. They are explained here.

Hope this is helpful.

Rattlehead

#31 Post by Rattlehead »

Hey guys, just a short follow-up on my Android endeavors in case anybody is interested.

I gave up Android programming because my laptop is not powerful enough for the development environment, plus I had bitten more than I could chew as a project (and, to say it all, I don't like Java).

My needs were simple, all I wanted was to make small applications I could use for myself: a decent chronometer, counters, stuff like that. Having a supercomputer in your pocket is such an advantage, and also there is that great pleasure of using every day an app that you've programmed yourself...

So now I've gone the other way round: I went to the Android shop and installed Debian in my phone. There were several apps that do that, this one didn't even require to root the phone (although that will happen, at some point).

Even without being root, apt-get works, and I can do my small applications in good old bash. So now the terminal is always open :D