WinKiller Puppy explained as easy as it can get...

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Atle

WinKiller Puppy explained as easy as it can get...

#1 Post by Atle »

Today and as it is, Puppy covers basically all ways of booting, such as CD, whatever bootable flash memory, SD cards and what not. I guess even floppy is covered well for some oldies.

Also there is a great ".exe" family offering some Puppys that can be installed from and within Windows

Consider the following "idea" should have both the above "main categories" of getting Puppy onto your computer and that they do not exclude each other, but rather

Imagine that the projects aims towards the users that are not really nerds nor interested in a high learning curve to "jump the rotten Windows boat".

So basically we can divide Puppy into at least 4 categories:

true 64 bits
32 bits PAE
32 bits Non PAE
486 compatible

Now lets assume there is at least 3 variations of Puppy in each of these categories.

So why the number 3?

It is for me clear that Puppy really starts to rock the boat the moment a user understands that having more than one Puppy OS installed, gives the user a large amount of freedom to PLAY AROUND and even kill off a Puppy, without fear, as you can simply boot another puppy to recover the one you just messed up, in lets say a effort to install Nvidia driver, whereas my screen usually ends up in a x mess.

So imagine that you can download a "Port to Puppy puppy"..

Its a stripped down Puppy, that basically offers some automated scripts that does the following:

Boots anything from 486 to 64 bits.

Has basically one or more scripts that gathers information about your CPU, ram and GPU (just to not get to advanced)

Then, once booted, the scripts will , based on the data gathered, recommend 3 puppy versions for your computer, based on your computers hardware facts.

So in my case with a i5 and 64 bit, it could be:

alphat64
FatDog64 631
FatDog64 700

Then all that is needed is to download these 3 puppies.

And that happens automatically if network is present.

Then, once that is done, or while the download is going on, a scripts set up your HD, with 4 partitions, whereas the first is small and bootable, where the menu.lst and the boot files resides.

The other 3, puppy will place 3 versions of puppy for you to test for your hardware, each on its own partition

Once the various Puppys are physically in place on their respective partitions, Grub4 Dos makes the entire thing bootable and the computer reboots.

Nwipe might be a part of the suite, as we can foresee the aim, and that is to chase Windows out of the PC for real.

The idea is to showcase the very best of Puppy and its my believe that some puppy versions will work better on a computer than the other puppy.

The idea of having 3 is to give a fair amount of choices.

The user must off course understand that this will make Puppy take over your PC for good and Windows can not survive this operation, hence the name, so whatever files you like to save, needs to be present on a USB thumb drive or even, no matter how spooky, in that dubious "cloud".

This can come as a normal .iso file and also as a .exe file.

Now what is you guys and girls take on this?

Feel free to force me to explain in in a better way, as I am not sure if the way i try to explain it is even near good.

Best

ATle