unicornpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oui

Re: xombrero

#61 Post by oui »

Hi Philb
666philb wrote:this is the latest xombrero for unicornpups although some icons are missing https://copy.com/1dL9QmFU4S2Bog3w

or you can use the older xombrero binary with icons ...after downloading it right click on it and choose 'permissions' and make executable.. then copy to /usr/bin after installing the .sfs above https://copy.com/C4JnFoOBS7nHOOm9

A) thank you very much!

it works wonderfull, as well as the version in Kubuntu 14.10 (upgraded from 14.04). The one of Debian SID / Jessie (I have both in use) doen't works as well :lol:

I actually am in in unicornpup, started without save file and did add the xombrero.sfa as well as, in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ the same version of libflashplugins.so as intalled in Kubuntu (17 MB sized) and can look all the videos I use in Kubuntu!

one of those is the terrible site http://france2.fr/jt/20h being completely addicted to commercial software :roll: and it works immediately so! it is rare (it doesn't work in Debian :wink: ). It is a good indicator how well flash is integrated in a system also for other purposes!

(For me, it is a necessity: without I can't listen for the news of my country as I leave in a foreign country sending the own major news exactly at the same time!)

B) The next step would be use unicornpup entirely without save file

Why?

- in environment where PC's are used by changing staff (schools, at work, in internet bars etc.) save files are compromising and include risks of trouble (change of parameters etc. / sabotage)
- little save files of about 32 MB, only for the major settings and files like libflashplugin (17 MB in full actual version) unnecessarily limit the RAM for other jobs and can be, I remember, easily changed (this is not wished in schools!
- little save files can be very easy copied for all eventually good or bad uses

The usual question rebooting / quitting Puppy at the term of the first session is usually wrong. Puppy asks «Savefile: [y]/n ?». The right form would be «s/ave or [q]/uit directly» because people using save file have only on time to change from default to her wish (after that, the save file exists and no question appears any more) and people not wishing save file have only to pass hitting simply on «enter» ! The actual form is not fair for people not wishing the save file! You can restart 10 time per day and have to answer the silly dilly question 10 time and having over that to change the presseting!!! hm...)

But so or so you need more if you want to renounce to use the save file a smart puplet like unicornpup:

C) Use a undefined lot of *.sfs packages:

For example would be my choice:

always:

- xombrero
- GVIM (if xombrero, what more natural! but I would need no one more! no e3, no nano, no geany, no leafpad, etc. only GVIM would be enough...), GVIM can include files into a file and allow so the real text block processing (especially using lyx in combination, of course the "strong" linux perhaps not really usual in the Puppy clientele)
- spell control for more than one language!
- the smart console tools wordgrinder, sc, alpine, as well as the light magic point: hm, they do togher about the same as LO :wink: excepted draw but for draw and screen shot, we are accostomed to use mTpaint and need it as it is so easy to adapt the size etc. of printscreens with in our time of internet, the importance of a full office can completely be different from person to person!

often:

- LO with
- JRE7 (regarding other uses of java)
- marble, version QT,
- python for, for example, gramps
- gramps itself (is one of my hobbies)
- rosegarden (an other hobby)
- rawstudio, gimp or other manipulations tools for photos
- merkaartor as land maps managing using osm is important for me

sometimes:

- devel tools but we always have a devx file for that
- latex or / and mudela
- wine
- other brother and / or kompoZer
etc.

We see: a lot of *.sfs are needing and it is an hard job to restart them again daily or more than one time per day!

This is especially necessary in the flexible environment of school or little jobs (translators, PC and private office helpers, helpers for old persons or fot young people needing special instructions). Forum user and expert (he uses daily a group of over 100 PC with Puppy software in the school where he is teatcher for technical sciences) pseudo «Schutzhund» (see German forum subdivision) did reappear in the last days asking for new actual software for his next semester!!! he needs to prepare himself for this coming time!

Unicornpup is perfect as base for a modular usage and it is so tiny! But how to solve the problems of

- modularity
- discretion if users often changes (8 hours in a class room = ab. 8 users or more!)?

We all knew the actual choices from especially Schutzhund in the past:

D - Remaster and ability to vario menu:

how to realize that in Unicornpup?

People needs:

- locales
- xorg.conf
- some files like /root/.xombrero/favorites or /root/xombrero.conf (as example for minimal requirement for ONE application)
- probably network files (in school)
- or usage at distance from PC of the helped person
- sometimes supplementary or other dictionaries etc.

how to remaster Unicornpup with them all?

oui

#62 Post by oui »

Hi

I did resume above what is the problem in MY opinion.

But I see today that Schuthund (Wolgang) did parallel ask for help himself in the German part of the Puppy forum!

See yourself following:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 750#830750

Google translation:

I have tested the Lazy Unicorn a little and am still not clear about whether it's like I can take it or had imagined.

It is not clear why we should now depart from the ingenious principle that actual operating system to be kept as small as possible and meaningful, and all that is needed for programs to dynamically load it? Just about all programs that are now in the Iso with us and it includes inflate to 640MB, in my view, not the basis for this. Base would have to be Wine and Java but otherwise?

The entire program management is not clear and confusing compared to the original concept of my Vario Menu.

So far, I have always found good that you could work within a NTSF. Why you need now imperative that ext partition?

Have you thought looked the PhyTechL?

The question for me is: how do I get the fastest on a PhyTech with latest kernel?

LG

Wolfgang

P. S. the Isobilder I have also tried short times. The Iso produced booted, but then had no surface. How can this have located?

der-schutzhund wrote:Habe das Lazy Unicorn etwas getestet und bin mir noch nicht im klaren darüber ob es das ist wie ich es brauchen kann oder vorgestellt hatte.

Mir ist nicht klar warum wir nun von dem genialen Prinzip abgehen sollen, dass eigentliche Betriebssystem so schmal wie möglich und sinnvoll zu halten und alles was an Programmen gebraucht wird dynamisch dazu zu laden? So gut wie alle Programme die jetzt im Iso dabei sind und es auf 640MB aufblasen gehören, aus meiner Sicht, nicht zur Basis dazu. Basis wäre Wine und Java aber sonst?

Die gesamte Programmverwaltung ist mir nicht klar und im Vergleich zum Konzept des original VarioMenü unübersichtlich.

Bisher fand ich immer gut, dass man innerhalb eines NTSF arbeiten konnte. Warum brauchst du jetzt zwingend das Ext?

Hast du dir mal das PhyTechL angesehen?

Die Frage ist für mich wie komme ich am schnellsten an ein PhyTechL mit aktuellem Kernel?

LG

Wolfgang

P.S. den Isobilder habe ich ebenfalls kurz mal ausprobiert. Das erzeugte Iso bootete, hatte dann aber keine Oberfläche. Woran kann das gelegen haben?
Last edited by oui on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#63 Post by oui »

pls read above at first

His efforts to make of Puppy a serious tool in absolutely professional sectors like technical education (he manages more than 100 PC's daily all with Puppy linux! There is probably no comparable venture in all the world, and only perhaps with only a limited number of PC's compared with the more than hundred PC's with pupils being not 4, 5, 6 years old but 10 years more!!! 14, 15 or 16 years old, a lot more exigent!

I think:

It is a matter of reputation and respectability for ALL the Puppy community to really try to help and in adequate form so that next semester the pupils dispose really on the PhyTechL with most modern software level!

It is not possible only to laugh and thing or say «continue with RSH» your enterprise is not interesting for us...

It is interesting: it is the biggest enterprise ever been with Puppy!

Developpers, please help!

Kind regards

musher0

#64 Post by musher0 »

Hello, oui.

I tried downloading RSH's new Lazy Unicorn from ally's "The Archive", but
when it got down to 47 K / second (total 3 hours plus), I gave up. Is there a
faster site to download this Puppy from?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#65 Post by musher0 »

Allo, oui.

Success downloading yesterday, at a reasonable speed, +/- 470kb / second.
Problem now is that it won't boot from a 1.4Gb DVD... The BIOS does not see
the boot sector.

On the other hand, the internal hierachy of this LazyPup is so complicated
that I don't know how to parse it on a partition (or its own folder). (This is
what I usually do.)

Oh, well. There's always something with a Puppy, eh? BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

LazY Puppy

#66 Post by LazY Puppy »

musher0 wrote:Allo, oui.

Success downloading yesterday, at a reasonable speed, +/- 470kb / second.
Problem now is that it won't boot from a 1.4Gb DVD... The BIOS does not see
the boot sector.

On the other hand, the internal hierachy of this LazyPup is so complicated
that I don't know how to parse it on a partition (or its own folder). (This is
what I usually do.)

Oh, well. There's always something with a Puppy, eh? BFN.

musher0
Hi.

I don't know why it won't boot from a 1.4Gb DVD. I have tested it burnt to a regular CD (it boots with Grub4DOS then) and everything worked fine.

No, its internal hierarchy is not that complicated.

Everything what it needs to do is mentioned in the Opening Post of LazY Unicorn Version 001 Topic.

But of course you will get lost, if you aren't able to read and understand German language.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rockedge

#67 Post by rockedge »

This is what I have been looking for! A stripped down Tahrpup in the guise of unicorn. I have been successful in building a version running XAMPP 1.8.1 and ZoneMinder 1.28.1 with libpolkit-gobject-1-dev_0.105-8_i386.deb and libmysqlclient-dev_5.5.41-0+wheezy1_i386.deb.

runs great and is hovering around 400M in RAM which I may be able to further reduce.

Goal is a Tahrpup or Unicornpup that runs only the zoneminder system for a versatile DIY video security system that runs in RAM and that fits on a stick .

I have several versions running well on Tahr 6.0.2 CE that use Hiawatha 9.12
OR Apache. Using XAMPP or XHAMPP or versions with the required servers installed via PPM.

This unicorn runs very well on my machines. Blazes on 4G and above but is streaming zoneminder video on an old Gateway with a Pentium(R) D CPU and 1017MB of RAM 415MB used.

oui

Re: xombrero

#68 Post by oui »

Hi
666philb wrote:
oui wrote:Is there perhaps some xombrero.sfs usable with Unicornpup?
hi oui

this is the latest xombrero for unicornpups although some icons are missing https://copy.com/1dL9QmFU4S2Bog3w

or you can use the older xombrero binary with icons ...after downloading it right click on it and choose 'permissions' and make executable.. then copy to /usr/bin after installing the .sfs above https://copy.com/C4JnFoOBS7nHOOm9
I suppose that the error that I see is not a consequence of missing icones?

an idea how to solve that problem because that sfs would be a really best extension for unicornpup! fast and works very good compared with other installations of xombrero. only this detail is not really acceptable for a long time use :wink:

kind regards
Attachments
error2.jpg
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times
error.jpg
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 1403 times

oui

#69 Post by oui »

Hi Philb
About that error (black boxes around the icons and fields for entries):
I also have SliTaz on my PC and did never before today try folling:

- open SliTaz-Partition,
- open /usr/bin,
- look for tazweb

and it enter

it works, TazWEB a really extremely small (17 kB) frontend for webkit made by the staff of SliTaz itself to realize the TazPanel (where all settings, installations, packages administration and more are possible) works immediately in Unicornpup, and

the error is the same :wink: . it probably cames not from xombrero (or tazWeb) but from webkit...

kind regards

slavvo67

#70 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi 666Philb:

I'm guessing your absence is due to that computer issue you were having. It seems I'm not the only one anxiously waiting for your next update.

Well wishes,

Slavvo67

Wognath

Am I running in ram?

#71 Post by Wognath »

Question moved to beginners forum http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98753
Last edited by Wognath on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

johnywhy

#72 Post by johnywhy »

my comment is not at the advanced level of the experts here.

only to say on first boot of LxPupUnicorn-15.02.1-pae.iso, tried to edit the main panel. When removed launchbar, the whole panel disappeared. Had to use power switch to shutdown (with save).

on reboot, had blank launchbar on panel. tried to right-click-remove, but would not remove. Had to use panel settings > applets to remove the empty launchbar.

thx for all the puppies!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

oui

s

#73 Post by oui »

this

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=30

would of course be the best tool for that unicornpup :idea: ...

LazY Puppy

Re: s

#74 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:this

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=30

would of course be the best tool for that unicornpup :idea: ...
Hello oui.

I have written a GUI for the pdebthing scripts (was done in my LazY Tahr Puppy).

After loading the devx, initiating cpan and installing Switch, I had grabbed the installed files from /initrd/pup_rw and built a SFS Module for the CPAN stuff.

Tested the GUI several times on different packages successfully.

After all testings had been done, I did restart my LazY Tahr, loaded the devx and loaded the CPAN SFS Module. Just entered cpan in a terminal, executed the PDEBThing-GUI and downloaded successfully all files for Hexter 1.0.2-3 - don't know, if the CPAN stuff is really needed.

Directory packages -which is where the downloaded files are stored- will be renamed after all packages are downloaded (Name for the directory is to be setup within the GUI) and stored in a sub-directory, apps-collected, inside of the PDEBThing-GUI directory.

The PDEBThing-GUI directory is created as a RoxApp, so everything downloaded will be save on a ext partition for a later use to create SFS Modules from those directories using the new PaDS within the new SFS P.L.U.S. - just have a look at the German LazY Unicorn Topic for the new SFS P.L.U.S. Toolbox.

I will try next to test/make the GUI also work with (LazY) Unicorn and to create a CPAN SFS Module for (LazY) Unicorn too. After all is done I will upload everything for testings.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#75 Post by LazY Puppy »

RSH wrote:I will try next to test/make the GUI also work with (LazY) Unicorn and to create a CPAN SFS Module for (LazY) Unicorn too. After all is done I will upload everything for testings.
Done!

Links are in LazY Unicorn Topic at DE Forum.

SFS P.L.U.S. also updated because of a small bug with huge effects!
RSH

greengeek

Re: Alternative building block.

#76 Post by greengeek »

ETP wrote:For more details of the rational please see the Chromebook Pup thread in Projects and use the V2 installation procedure.
Hi ETP, thanks for the pointer to this release. Can I suggest that a link to the installation instructions be added to your post? I think I have found the V2 instructions you are referring to but its down the thread a bit so a link would make it easier to spot.
(EDIT : or maybe attach a text file to the download page to make the instructions really clear for people like me)

I'm pretty shaky about installing these dd "image" things versus standard isos so I want to make sure I follow the right instructions.

cheers!

ETP

RE: Alternative building block

#77 Post by ETP »

Hi greengeek,

Done. (Added to both the original post in this thread & the download folder) :)
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

futwerk

#78 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
unicornb.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(11.23 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times
unicorn1c.jpg
(9.94 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
unicorn1.jpg
(10.41 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times
unicorn.jpg
(12.22 KiB) Downloaded 1350 times

musher0

#79 Post by musher0 »

I think I like the one with the green letters and the dark grey background
the best! :) (Gee, futwerk, you're getting better all the time at this!) :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#80 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »