Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

Seamonkey not to be used ?

#196 Post by Pelo »

"1. Puli does not support Seamonkey but Chrome, Iron, Slimjet and Firefox. Means neither the auto-recognition nor the improved security features are configured for Seamonkey in the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser or in the /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer scripts. You can utilize the Firefox part and tailor it for Seamonkey, however. "
Ok so i will remove it. For test i downloaded Griffith from the PPM. All things get well, dependancies too (13MB)
Seamonkey not to be used ? Why ? Firefox will be ok, don't mind.
Elinks is a browser, really ?

gjuhasz

Re: Seamonkey not to be used ?

#197 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Seamonkey not to be used ? Why ? Elinks is a browser, really ?
As I wrote, neither the auto-recognition nor the improved security features are configured for Seamonkey in the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser or in the /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer scripts Note that additional browser specific scripts are called from there.
You can utilize the Firefox part and tailor it for Seamonkey, however.

Comments:
  • In the above text, "auto-recognition" means" that after clicking the browse desktop icon, Puli recognizes the highest priority browser among the installed ones and opens it as spot user. For example, Seamonkey can be opened only from the right-click menu and the user rights (root / spot) are based on the (Seamonkey specific) settings of the install package.

"Improved security features" means that Puli provides the built-in security profiles (mild, rigorous, crazy, lazy) for only the supported browsers.

No technical objections against Seamonkey as far as I know.

Elinks (more precisely, Links, see at http://links.twibright.com/) is a minimal-feature-set browser with graphical interface - its visualization reminds me to dillo. The main advantages come from its missing features: you can enjoy the quick response time, the missing advertisements and that it can display the blocked content of some websites :)
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

tirdoldog

remember network printers

#198 Post by tirdoldog »

@gjuhasz: every time I boot I have to reinstall my network printers because of firewall interference. They work fine with the firewall once installed in CUPS but backups or smartsaves are no good for persistance. Do you have this problem? If not can you provide an example for me to use ? I have never manually edited a firewall and could use an example. Firewall genie is only good for one session so does not solve the problem of reinstallation.

gjuhasz

Re: remember network printers

#199 Post by gjuhasz »

tirdoldog wrote:every time I boot I have to reinstall my network printers because of firewall interference. They work fine with the firewall once installed in CUPS but backups or smartsaves are no good for persistance. Do you have this problem? If not can you provide an example for me to use ? I have never manually edited a firewall and could use an example. Firewall genie is only good for one session so does not solve the problem of reinstallation.
Dear tirdoldog,

Once you configured the firewall not to interfere with the network printer, you can copy the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall script to the patch structure of your USB boot device as /patch/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
Alternatively, if you use your pendrive to boot multiple machines in different environments, you can configure "per-machine" firewalls for them. In this case, copy the per-machine tailored rc.firewall script(s) into the /env-<macaddress> folder(s) instead of the /patch folder.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

tirdoldog

Re: remember network printers

#200 Post by tirdoldog »

@gjuhasz: Thanks for the tip...seems to work now (':)')
(see PM)

Pelo

Where is my password ?

#201 Post by Pelo »

Where is my password ? Where did i wrote it ? To enter my pupsave, any Puppy is enough... excepted Puli :!: i run xenial, until i found it in my noteboot (pen, paper, still useful beside the computer)

gjuhasz

Re: Where is my password ?

#202 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Where is my password ? Where did i wrote it ? To enter my pupsave, any Puppy is enough... excepted Puli :!: i run xenial, until i found it in my noteboot (pen, paper, still useful beside the computer)
Dear Pelo,

Your password is stored in the following files in encrypted form:

/etc/passwd
/etc/passwd-
/etc/shadow
/etc/shadow-

If you select Save:smart, then Puli stores these files in /patch/etc/ folder of your boot device.

Read my PM if you forgot your passwd.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

i am running an old Puli ! Don't mind. Old is mature

#203 Post by Pelo »

i am running an old Puli ! Don't mind. Old is mature, often and faster than young Puppies (that it true for puppies, only)

Pelo

Skamilinux information on Facebook

#204 Post by Pelo »

Puli unmasked on Facebook joined MU the Puppy moderator from Germany as a friend of me, There i am informed of news for Hungarian Puppies
Attachments
Alice.jpg
Puli will present Puppy on the web ? What a success it should be, if that were true !
(40.96 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Puli is a defense dog, i was said by s-kami.

#205 Post by Pelo »

"The ultimate defense against web attacks. Intended to boot from a USB pendrive"
Would that mean that Puli need defense here and is unmasked in Facebook ? Do we need an avatar on our forum like a war name ?
Nevertheles, i like he hungarian puli... Which is a defense dog, i was said by s-kami. But However, any puppy can destroy my Puli, and edit his sfs. to change it..
You must re-inforce the defense ! :evil:

Pelo

MTpaint is a strange version

#206 Post by Pelo »

Puli installed laptop Medion Akoya p7624 without trouble, in spite of zip is different than ISO. It contains Firefox to change elinks, frigthening browser for people not used with it. I never succeeded to get it working.
Version tahrpup 6.0.5 is fast.
MTpaint is a strange version, unusual. What has been changed in it ?
But it works well .

Pelo

Puli would of much interest for people in France.

#207 Post by Pelo »

sure i am sure Puli would of much interest for people in France. But if English is not really a problem for teenagers and their smartphones, our generation born with pup music and flowers in the hair is now around 50, 60 even 70, and does not want to use English. So for them i added the fr language pack. However they speak English not bad at all.
French post in Spanish and Germany forum. Skamilinux-HU promote french Puppies. Thank you for that, hungarian dev !
Attachments
ForFrance.jpg
WXmusik, for Puli passengers.
(49.51 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Re: Puli would of much interest for people in France.

#208 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:So for them i added the fr language pack.
WOW!!! Thank you.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

Video works began yesterday

#209 Post by Pelo »

Video works began yesterday, part one being edited using Avidemux 2.5.5.
Caution : i am a poor learning pupil, for your Puli, result will not be in the charts of international movies :)
topic Avidemux.
II will give you the link to youtube. then you will inform is that is convenient for you. Some puppy builders don't like my tutorials, so i delete them, because in am only training (learning).
Things are going wrong, my video is completely garbled. :? Firefox updated to version 45, To get YouTube video tools available (titles, annotations, and so on..)
try to upload with firefox 45, sometimes browser is the reason of bad quality.
Video for preview by Puli users. (avant-première, means by VIPs) Clap on the blue.
Attachments
video.jpg
Thumbnail Puli
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

gjuhasz

Re: Video works began yesterday

#210 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Video works began yesterday, part one being edited using Avidemux 2.5.5.
Caution : i am a poor learning pupil, for your Puli, result will not be in the charts of international movies :)
topic Avidemux.
II will give you the link to youtube. then you will inform is that is convenient for you. Some puppy builders don't like my tutorials, so i delete them, because in am only training (learning).
Things are going wrong, my video is completely garbled. ( ... ) To get YouTube video tools available (titles, annotations, and so on..)
try to upload with firefox 45, sometimes browser is the reason of bad quality.
Video for preview by Puli users. (avant-première, means by VIPs) Clap on the blue.
Thank you, nice video...
Firefox updated to version 45
Let me propose to give my firefox453.pet a try. Available as http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/firefox453.pet
You can smartload it and run it as spot (e.g., by clicking the "browse" icon or from the menu).

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

package Fr is really well done...

#211 Post by Pelo »

package Fr is really well done... There is no English word lost here and there. Merci to the french team that does this huge work for our french speaking Puppy users (most of them should not use Puppy if not translated).
Hungarian team has translated ToOpPy 2 to HU ??? !!!
I like hungarian Puppies.. :!: nice remasterizations.

gjuhasz

DirtyCow

#212 Post by gjuhasz »

From https://github.com/dirtycow/dirtycow.gi ... ityDetails:

Impact
  • · An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to gain write access to otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the system.
    · This flaw allows an attacker with a local system account to modify on-disk binaries, bypassing the standard permission mechanisms that would prevent modification without an appropriate permission set.
For Puppy linux, this kernel bug can be ignored because

1. most of the processes run by root as the default user is root
2. cannot be activated by remote users until they break in the system in another way.

However, a browser can be infected by a malicious code to activate this exploit if it runs as spot.

I reckon that Puli (see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96964) provides more defense thus it can successfully block the effect of a hacker attack which tries to utilize DirtyCow.
  • · First, because exploits attacking based on DirtyCow mostly want to access to the disks - but, as you know, the pendrive can be unplugged and the hard disks are rarely mounted.
    · Second, because, especially in its Lazy profile, Puli makes the /bin folder inaccessible thus those utilities remain hidden during browsing.
    Note that the demo exploits such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsshExn7aE actively use the /bin folder.
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

what about Cd player, Gnome-Mplayer fails to list songs

#213 Post by Pelo »

gjuhasz , what about Cd player, Gnome-Mplayer fails to list songs . Could you take a glance at it, on Puli 6.0.5
I decided to continue with the precise version of Puli, because of MPEG available and i really enjoy this version. :shock:

gjuhasz

How to play audio CDs

#214 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:gjuhasz , what about Cd player
Dear Pelo,

Puli 6.0.5 does not incude mplayer. CDs can be listened either with DeadBeef or VLC.

If you have a CD in the tray, you see a CD icon among the drives - labeled probably sr0.

1. Play with DeadBeef:
  • Click on the CD icon to open DeadBeef.
    Select File > Add Audio CD. The playlist appears.
    Click on the Play icon in the toolbar.
2. Play with VLC:
  • Click on the Play desktop icon. VLC opens.
    Select Media > Open Disc. In the Disk selection tab, select Audio CD and click Play.
    The playlist appears, playing starts.
See the attached picture.

FYI: You can use Asunder for ripping the CD.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Puli_plays_CD.jpg
Use DeadBeef or VLC to play CDs
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times

Pelo

it's a pleasure to be a tester with an hungarian devs.

#215 Post by Pelo »

merci gjuhasz it's a pleasure to be a tester with an hungarian devs. :) as you.
Puli is stored in my Masters directory now.. Protected !
I will do my best for Puli success.