Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 27 Feb 2015, 20:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Newest version of flash still disabled by Seamonkey
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
lordsmo

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec 2014, 22:55    Post subject:  Newest version of flash still disabled by Seamonkey  

I have the newest version of flash for linux (11.2.202.425). In the add-on manager of Seamonkey it shows I have this version, but it still says "flash is known to be vulnerable and should be updated". It won't load flash videos on any site.

I've closed the browser, deleted the pluginreg.dat file, deleted every trace of the flash plugin, and re-extracted the tar and when I re-open Seamonkey the same thing is still happening.

Anyone know of anything else to try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit to add: I should mention I can manually enable it each time I visit a site, but I'm hoping for a different solution.
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec 2014, 23:33    Post subject:  

This is which Pup and your Seamonkey version? Start it with: seamonkey -safe-mode and try a video.
not-here-it-doesnt.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.13 KB
 Viewed   205 Time(s)

not-here-it-doesnt.jpg

lordsmo

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 00:22    Post subject:  

SeaMonkey 2.19 and Flash 11.2.202.425

Plugincheck shows flash is up to date, just like in the screen shot you posted. But the add-on manager in SeaMonkey gives the message that Flash is vulnerable and needs to be updated.

If I attempt to watch a video it's blocked out with two options: "check for updates" and "activate plug-in". Clicking "activate plug-in" allows me to watch the video but the next browser window I open on the same page blocks it again and shows the same message.

The behavior is the same when starting with seamonkey -safe-mode from command line.
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 05:43    Post subject:  

It's a bit do-at-your-own-risk (you can always make a backup of your Seamonkey profile, to be absolutely safe), but try entering the following in your address bar:

Code:
about:config

That will probably pop up a "This might void your warranty!" warning screen - it's just so you only do this if you know what you're doing. Yes, you CAN indeed break things from about:config, so be careful!
To be safe, make sure the "Show this warning next time" box is checked, and click on the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.

In the Search: bar within the about:config tab/window, type:

Code:
extensions.blocklist.enabled

to narrow the configuration item list down a bit. You should see just one entry:

Preference Name: extensions.blocklist.enabled
Type: boolean
Value: true

The only part of that that's important is the Value, so double-click on the word "true" to change it to "false". Close the about:config tab/window, and restart Seamonkey. See if it works the way you want it, now. If not, you'll probably want to revert the changes you made.

Why wouldn't you update Seamonkey to a more recent version, though? Just curious.

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 06:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
Why wouldn't you update Seamonkey to a more recent version, though? Just curious.

in my case because its 3 times the size and I have already lost enough features. Very Happy

I had suggested to someone else to edit the blocklist.xml but the about:config setting is the better way.

mike
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 06:25    Post subject:  

lordsmo wrote:
If I attempt to watch a video it's blocked out with two options: "check for updates" and "activate plug-in". Clicking "activate plug-in" allows me to watch the video but the next browser window I open on the same page blocks it again and shows the same message.

Is there no 'Allow and Remember' choice? There is for firefox. i.e. click on Activate and up pops the Allow/Allow and Remember choices
fb.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   48.67 KB
 Viewed   140 Time(s)

fb.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 06:40    Post subject:  

I could ask why puppy users use ugly gtk2 themes but I won't Smile

mike
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 07:03    Post subject:  

Yep. This >> extensions.blocklist.enabled might work on that old 2.19.
lordsmo

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec 2014, 01:27    Post subject:  

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Disabling the extension blocklist works for allowing the videos.

I'm probably gonna leave the extension blocklist enabled though and just click one extra button every time I need a flash video. Seems like a lot of stuff can be played as HTML5 video anyway.

Unfortunately, the Seamonkey add-on manager still shows the current version of flash as vulnerable and tells me I need to update, which I find irritating.

In terms of why I still have version 2.19 of Seamonkey instead of a newer one, it's cause it's the only one in the repos, and I've been too lazy to manually install the newer version. I might end up doing it though, since I assume this vexing warning message is unlikely to persist through a re-installation of the browser.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec 2014, 02:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
I might end up doing it though, since I assume this vexing warning message is unlikely to persist through a re-installation of the browser.

nah they will just nag you with different words or actions Very Happy

Plus it would affect such as flash games and other stuff.... educational sites use flash a lot for example.

I disabled the blocklist use, edited out flash references and disabled its update.... wanted to make sure it was very dead....

mike

ps...still waiting for my first flash breach after 14 years...currently use 10.0.15 daily on linux and windows...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: