LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#46 Post by stemsee »

The fatdog kernel 3.18.7 should be fine for what you want, and it ships with fewer unnecessary modules and firmware. It has been very carefully configured. sukk (stems-unattended-kernel-kit) allows you to modify the configuration and build your own kernel with a custom appendage. I often use the fatdog kernel as a reliable replacement when I mess my system up with experiments. But i do like to have the latest version number with a custom appendage.

Q5sys

#47 Post by Q5sys »

peebee,
I apologize if you mentioned this previously and i missed it when reading. Are you using the Slackware64 14.1 Stable Branch or the Slackware64 14.Current Branch?

peebee

#48 Post by peebee »

Q5sys wrote:peebee,
I apologize if you mentioned this previously and i missed it when reading. Are you using the Slackware64 14.1 Stable Branch or the Slackware64 14.Current Branch?
From: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94430
now using slackware64-14.1 binaries
how stable they are - IDK
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Q5sys

#49 Post by Q5sys »

peebee wrote:
Q5sys wrote:peebee,
From: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94430
now using slackware64-14.1 binaries
how stable they are - IDK
Ah yea, I the part about being based on the slacko version. Thanks.

No need to be concerned; 14.1 is very stable. It's Slackware... its stable. :P

peebee

Re: Kernel

#50 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Is it possible to create an iso (no need for UEFI) with kernell 3.18.5 or later.
Hi Volhout

Have tried both the 3.19.0-64 and 3.18.6-64 kernels as provided by stemsee (thanks) and the 3.18.7 kernel from Fatdog64.

All work - but the 3.19 version doesn't have wifi firmware and is set to verbose boot so the 3.18.6 or 3.18.7 versions are probably "better" for your purposes.

Try them for yourself.....on a (fresh) frugal install:

1. download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... 3RmbFhHa0U

2. extract the vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs

3. move them to your frugal install folder and rename kernel-modules.sfs to zdrv_lxpup64_14.12.sfs

4. boot the updated system and test

If you want to try the Fatdog64 3.18.7 kernel as suggested by stemsee get it from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... rnels/700/

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

#51 Post by stemsee »

Just copy the wifi firmware from anywhere if you want to use the 3.19.0 kernel

gyro

#52 Post by gyro »

stemsee wrote:Just copy the wifi firmware from anywhere if you want to use the 3.19.0 kernel
Could always try here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97276.
gyro

stemsee

#53 Post by stemsee »

There is a slight variation for adding kernel modules/firmware/libc6/glibcc etc copy them (expanded) into your save file/dir. This way you can keep both sets of modules (previous and new) without renaming or moving the zdrv_kernel-modules.sfs, and have two kernels with slightly different names to boot with.

peebee

LxPupApril64

#54 Post by peebee »

LxPupApril64-15.04

VERY EXPERIMENTAL!!

USE WITH CAUTION

.pets to add LxPup to Quirky April-7.0.3 64 bit to create LxPupApril64-15.04 have been uploaded.

There are 2 pets - the first large one installs all the necessary components

The 2nd "setup" pet makes the system changes and activates LXDE (LXDE can be deactivated by uninstalling this pet)

The component pet is rather large due to the way it is constructed using the Porteus 64-bit LXDE module - if you install onto a frugal install of April64 you will need more than 2GB of ram.

I haven't managed to get pup-volume-monitor working on April64 so instead there is an icon on the desktop called "drives" which runs pmount. From pmount you can mount and access drives and then in PCManFM (version 1.2.3) you can use the bookmark feature to remember the mounted drive/partition. (see screenie)

There is also a "save" icon on the desktop to save a session image back into q.sfs when running a frugal install
There is no install icon as I've assumed that the pets would be loaded onto a version of April64 that has already been frugally installed. Use the "Run" menu item to run installquirky.amd64 if you want to install from within LxPup.
The pets can however be installed onto a live session of April64 to test (if you've got enough ram)

All my testing has been on my desktop with 4GB ram with a frugal install of Quirky-April7.0-64

Mainly a proof of concept to see how much could be achieved using April64 as the base.

Cheers
peebee

Pet links:
Components: lxpup4april64-15.04.pet
Setup: lxpupsetup-qa64.15.04.pet
Attachments
capture7657.png
(101.88 KiB) Downloaded 1776 times
Last edited by peebee on Tue 14 Apr 2015, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

LxPup64-15.03.01-hybrid.iso

#55 Post by peebee »

LxPup64-15.03.01-hybrid.iso is available for download

The following are updated / changed:

Kernel is updated to 3.18.7 from fatdog64

PcManFM / libfm & lxpanel @ latest versions (1.2.3 & 0.8.0)

openssl, ppm2, pfind / pfilesearch, pup-sys-info, yassm updated

gnumeric / goffice fixed

new default background

.desktop file (shortcut) editing activated

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Fri 22 May 2015, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

LxPUP 15.03 on C720

#56 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I was happy to see that you released the image with the FatDog kernel before I had started to try and exchange the kernel for the FatDog one.

LxPup 15.03 boots on the ACER C720, but the first obstacle is that the touchpad does not work (it does on FatDog however). This is an uncommon touchpad, I think it is I2C, and since it works in FatDog, I assume it is part of this kernel.

I will search for a mouse, and do some more testing this evening.

Volhout

LxPUP 15.03 on C720

#57 Post by Volhout »

Some more info on C720 compatibility for LxPup 15.03

(dmesg):
"New USB device found, idVendor=0489, idProduct=e056"
Some error messages, and then is segfaults.

EDIT: checked the DMESG from fatdog, and they already have some lines where they specifically check on chromebooks. So this may be part of their init scripts...

sszindian

#58 Post by sszindian »

Upgrade of LXPup-64-14.12.02-hybrid with LXPup-64-15.03.01-hybrid.

Upgrade went well !

First test was printing, worked as before (after the extra .pet was installed on previous version). I also tested printing from a ram-only install of 15-03-01 and it worked OOTB after installing the hplip file from the PPM but, still no xsane scan this way... even downloaded the special xsane scanner program in the PPM... no go.

Second test was for xsane scanner on the new 15.03.01 install... still does not work!

I had FirefoxESR installed on 14.12.02 with an icon in the LX pannel. After installing the Chromium-41 w/pepperflash I decided to eliminated Firefox. A right/click on the Firefox icon, selected delete and got a message this would not be recoverable. Thinking it would be only the Firefox icon that would be deleted I selected OK and that's when the entire bottom LX pannel disappeared.

Is there anyway to recover this?

Still believe this build shows potential... Testing continues

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

Re: 15.03.01

#59 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:I decided to eliminated Firefox. A right/click on the Firefox icon, selected delete and got a message this would not be recoverable. Thinking it would be only the Firefox icon that would be deleted I selected OK and that's when the entire bottom LX pannel disappeared.

Is there anyway to recover this?
Hi sszindian

Thanks for testing.

The panel can't truly be deleted as its in the puppy.sfs at:
/root/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel

There will be a whiteout file "hiding" it.

You can see all the whiteout files from:
System -> System -> Pup-SysInfo -> Sys files -> .wh files

You need to either delete the .wh file from your savefolder or copy the panel file back from the .sfs - then restart the window manager.

Cheers
peebee

rcrsn51

Re: 15.03.01

#60 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:Second test was for xsane scanner on the new 15.03.01 install... still does not work!
If this was a 32-bit Pupplet, where would you go for print/scan drivers?

You need a source of similar 64-bit drivers, like here.

sszindian

Scanner

#61 Post by sszindian »

@rcrsn51

Installed the hplip_scan_fd600-3.14.4.pet and the foo2xxx_fd600-2014.04.26.pet from the FatDog Repo and that did the trick for the scanner (not really sure the foo2xxx was needed but since all is well I left it in)... works fine now, the print-function worked fine with the hplip package downloaded from the PPM so left that alone... 'BUT' let me ask you... how would any individual ever know this without the expertise you possess? 'AND' how can peebee address this issue in his build?

@peebee:

Deleted the .wt file, did the trick, back to testing.

Oh... before I forget, I installed conky and for the fun of it tried installing conky-switcher 03 I picked up somewhere. On startup the conky I installed briefly shows on the desktop--- it is in fact there but it's gone like a flash then any suggestions?

'Thanks all'

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Scanner

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:not really sure the foo2xxx was needed but since all is well I left it in
Foo2xxx has nothing to do with HP scanners. Its purpose is described in the "How to Install your Printer" document.
how would any individual ever know this without the expertise you possess? 'AND' how can peebee address this issue in his build?
In many Puppies, the first screen of the CUPS Wizard provides a link to "How to Install your Printer".

When was the last time you saw the announcement of a new Puppy where there was ANY mention of a source for compatible print/scan drivers?

Moat

Re: Scanner

#63 Post by Moat »

sszindian wrote: On startup the conky I installed briefly shows on the desktop--- it is in fact there but it's gone like a flash then any suggestions?
Not sure, but I've experienced some conkys that did that because the conkyrc/config file was calling for a hardware process that didn't exist on the computer I was trying it on - usually i.e.; conky attempting to display 8-core CPU use on my 2-core laptop, or CPU temp on an older proc that didn't support temperature sensing, etc.

Usually, removing those particular incompatible code lines from from the conkyrc would allow the "rest" of the conky to function normally, and remain displayed.

FWIW!

Bob

sszindian

Conky

#64 Post by sszindian »

'Thanks Moat'

A simple change of one-line did the trick

own_window_type override

to

own_window_type normal

So conky-switcher works great in LXPup!

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Get mtpaint to print

#65 Post by sszindian »

To get mtpaint to print

Go to: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/500/

and download the file-

gtklp-1.2.8-amd64.pet

After installing, go to: mtpaint select file, select actions, select configure, select Print image on the dropdown list then change the command dialog-box from kprint %f to gtklp %f

Prints very nice! (remember to load something to print :D )

>>>---Indian------>