LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: Volhout

#31 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:2/
The new hybrid iso still does not have the option to create a save file in the GPT partition. Is this an adaption to the shutdown script ? The GPT partition is visible in PCmanFM as sdb1, the VFAT partition is sdb2. In the shutdown I can only create a save file on sdb2, not sdb1.
Since sdb2 is really small (only few Mb or so) this is not really workable.
Alternative is to update the hybrid iso with a 3rd partition (also VFAT or EXTx) that can hold the save file.

3/ Tried above option 2/ to create a 3rd partition on the USB stick, and GPARTED complains about the stick topology. The GPT partition is not in the right locations (end of the stick). So apparently there is a mismatch between UEFI as in my laptop and Gparted. Gparted cannot fix it (although it suggests to do it), probably because it is mounted....

Do not really know how to proceed....
Hi Volhout

Have you tried the fix-usb.sh utility in the iso?
# This small script will fix the "missing space" caused by dd-ing LxPup64 isohybrid to a flash drive
# making the rest of the space available again for use.
# Only run this after dd-ing LxPup64 iso and not after anything else.
# (C) jamesbond 2013
It reclaims the part of your usb that hasn't been used for the iso.

It worked for me.....but I'm not on uefi....

I tried the Gparted in FatDog and it had the same problems with the usb as the version in LxPup64 (which I think comes from Porteus). The Gparted in Slacko64 is no better.

However I think Kirk/JamesBond must have included the fix-usb.sh utility because of these problems??

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gyro

Re: iwlwifi

#32 Post by gyro »

Volhout wrote:I had to use a second USB stick for the save file to hold the firmware for the WIFI.
If you are still having difficulty with the savefile, I have made a ydrv containing just the firmware file.
It can be downloaded from http://www.fishprogs.info/puppy/lxpup64 ... _14.12.sfs.
To use it just copy it into the same directory as "puppy_lxpup64_14.12.sfs", and reboot.
You should not need the savefile any more for the firmware file. Your wifi should work on a fresh first boot.

gyro

Volhout

save file

#33 Post by Volhout »

Hello gyro,

Thank you for the effort, I will check this out, but I already managed (using the fatdog fix-usb.sh, and manually formatted the sdb3 partition on the USB stick (to FAT32 in my case, simply becuase it is also visible on W8.1). Created a save file, and copied the wifi firmware file to /lib/firmware/

All is working now.

Next is Bluetooth (same chip, but different drive), and the audio (intel-hda), since I only see 3xSPDIF in retrovol, same as fatdog64-700 (in alsamixer). No volume controls.

Investigation time, but a lot happier now I have WIFI (internet!).

Ted Dog

#34 Post by Ted Dog »

You can use the no format boot method to boot. I have already used it to early test if there was going to be an issue with UEFI before I put the effort to pull out the needed code for this effort a week or two ago. You will have to unpack iso and copy to subdirectory.. Let me see if the grub lines still exists. If the main developer combines the sfs into initrd like fatdog64 does or better add the code in initrd to loop mount the iso itself to get sfs the way Ubuntu does it.

I think I already linked it in this thread if not its in projects.

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

found it... here is how I do it, the USB is 100% read write and you can update grub.cfg at will.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 443#819443

Volhout

sound and bluetooth

#36 Post by Volhout »

Got sound to work as expected using the multiple sound card wizard tool, to assign laptop speakers to the retrovol volume controls. The SPDIF's I was looking at where the multichannel audio output for HDMI.

Bluetooth does not give me no errors anymore in dmesg, after creating /lib/firmware/intel/ and putting the "ibt-hw-37.7.10-fw-1.0.2.3.d.desg" from gyro's file (containing also the iwlwifi firmware) in it.

It's starting to work. The real testing can begin....
I may put this on a USB3 stick to speed up booting a bit, and maybe remove some delays in the startup (waiting 5 seconds, then 3 seconds, then 10 seconds....).

Thanks all for teaching me more of the in's and out's in linux. I am beginning to get the hang of it.

btw: nice web page for LxPup PeeBee

sszindian

Hybrid

#37 Post by sszindian »

hybrid iso version of LxPup64-14.12.02

Burned a copy to CD did the first option on the main menu (live CD) I believe it was... anyway the new hybrid picked up the savefile on the HDD from the previous version automatically and apparently did an auto-update on itself?

Anyway, running well so far except same problems that were in previous version-

1: Printer scanner not working
2: Firewall setup can't survive a reboot

Another function that isn't working is installing the google plug-in for the phone in GMAIL. (browsers- Chromium and Firefox) Same true in Slacko64

Other features seem to be OK so far.... testing goes on!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Volhout

Re: iwlwifi

#38 Post by Volhout »

Hi Gyro,

Tried to put your ydrv in the same folder as the main SFS, but did not succeed. The partition is read only. I tried CHMOD 777 sdb1 in mnt/, and that didn't work either. It changed to drwxr-xr-x....
Any idea how I can make that partition writable so I can put the file there.?

Regards,

Volhout

gyro wrote:
Volhout wrote:I had to use a second USB stick for the save file to hold the firmware for the WIFI.
If you are still having difficulty with the savefile, I have made a ydrv containing just the firmware file.
It can be downloaded from http://www.fishprogs.info/puppy/lxpup64 ... _14.12.sfs.
To use it just copy it into the same directory as "puppy_lxpup64_14.12.sfs", and reboot.
You should not need the savefile any more for the firmware file. Your wifi should work on a fresh first boot.

gyro

gcmartin

#39 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Volhout

This should do it for you. You will need to re-boot this time using "pfix=ram" (for 'without a save file'). Then, copy your ydrv to your SFS folder.

Then reboot, normal, for the system to find its stuff during normal boot, as you expect.

Hope this helps

Volhout

What's next

#40 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I am a bit addicted to LxPups... For me these pups feel more familiar with my daytime job (have to use microsoft). But my new HW require me to use UEFI safe boot, and that works with LxPup64 now (hybrid iso).

What are your future plans for LxPup64 ..??

To me it appears that there are other 64 bit pups that have active development. Slacko64 seems to stall.
Are you actively investigating another base under LxPup64, or planning to ice it.

I am asking since many of the bugs found in LxPups relate to the underlying puppy, and by starting testing of your envisioned (new) puppy, I can do something usefull. I can't test them all.....

Appreciate your work !

Volhout

peebee

Re: What's next

#41 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

I am a bit addicted to LxPups... For me these pups feel more familiar with my daytime job (have to use microsoft). But my new HW require me to use UEFI safe boot, and that works with LxPup64 now (hybrid iso).

What are your future plans for LxPup64 ..??

To me it appears that there are other 64 bit pups that have active development. Slacko64 seems to stall.
Are you actively investigating another base under LxPup64, or planning to ice it.

I am asking since many of the bugs found in LxPups relate to the underlying puppy, and by starting testing of your envisioned (new) puppy, I can do something usefull. I can't test them all.....

Appreciate your work !

Volhout
Hi Volhout

I have tried to make a version of LxPup on TahrPup64 and have got a basically working system except that I have run into some problems with gvfs.

Basically, pcmanfm/libfm and gvfs + pup-volume-monitor + a patched version of libgio all have to work together to provide what I consider to be lxpup essentials - drives and partitions showing in pcmanfm, trash can working and ftp remote access working.

The way I have made LxPup64 has been to piggy back on the work done in Porteus and this translates most easily to Slacko64.

I also find Slackware systems much easier to work on than Debian systems due to Debian's tendency to break packages down into many smaller dependent packages....

Of the other 64-bit pups, Fatdog64 is significantly different in all respects from standard Woof-CE puppies and Lighthouse64 whilst not quite so different is also in abeyance.

So I think my present stance is that I'm waiting on 01micko to reappear and take Slacko64 forward.

I haven't as yet looked at QuirkyApril64....

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Flashplayer for LxPup64

#42 Post by peebee »

flash_player_64-11.2.202.442_lx.pet

Tested using Firefox on LxPup64-14.12.02 - plays BBC iPlayer OK

Should work on Slacko64-5.9.1

May work on other 64 bit pups....

[Edit] works on Wary64 Seamonkey - tested with BBC iPlayer and YouTube

Volhout

Kernel

#43 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I know you are waiting for 01Mick0 to improve Slacko, but I would like to ask you anyway. Is it possible to create an iso (no need for UEFI) with kernell 3.18.5 or later.

I want to try this on a C720 chromebook, and this kernel had touchpad driver, and fixes for the video HW acceleration. Fatdog 700 final uses 3.18.7 kernel. Maybe that one can be ported. Tried fatdog on the C720, and it works.

Regards,

Volhout

peebee

Re: Kernel

#44 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,

I know you are waiting for 01Mick0 to improve Slacko, but I would like to ask you anyway. Is it possible to create an iso (no need for UEFI) with kernell 3.18.5 or later.

I want to try this on a C720 chromebook, and this kernel had touchpad driver, and fixes for the video HW acceleration. Fatdog 700 final uses 3.18.7 kernel. Maybe that one can be ported. Tried fatdog on the C720, and it works.

Regards,

Volhout
Hi Volhout

3.17.4 is the latest 64bit kernel produced by woof-ce developers (666philb or 01micko)

Fatdog is sufficiently different that I don't think it would be easy to use their kernel - I may be wrong....

The activity on kernel compiling seems to be with stemsee at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 608#827608

There is a 3.18.6 kernel there but when I look inside the kernel-modules.sfs it has a different structure (only /lib) to 666philb's kernels.

I need to ask stemsee how to make use of his kernels.....

Cheers
peebee

Volhout

3.18 kernel

#45 Post by Volhout »

OK, if it is not straightforward, then leave it. It would complicate matters too much.

stemsee

#46 Post by stemsee »

The fatdog kernel 3.18.7 should be fine for what you want, and it ships with fewer unnecessary modules and firmware. It has been very carefully configured. sukk (stems-unattended-kernel-kit) allows you to modify the configuration and build your own kernel with a custom appendage. I often use the fatdog kernel as a reliable replacement when I mess my system up with experiments. But i do like to have the latest version number with a custom appendage.

Q5sys

#47 Post by Q5sys »

peebee,
I apologize if you mentioned this previously and i missed it when reading. Are you using the Slackware64 14.1 Stable Branch or the Slackware64 14.Current Branch?

peebee

#48 Post by peebee »

Q5sys wrote:peebee,
I apologize if you mentioned this previously and i missed it when reading. Are you using the Slackware64 14.1 Stable Branch or the Slackware64 14.Current Branch?
From: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94430
now using slackware64-14.1 binaries
how stable they are - IDK

Q5sys

#49 Post by Q5sys »

peebee wrote:
Q5sys wrote:peebee,
From: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94430
now using slackware64-14.1 binaries
how stable they are - IDK
Ah yea, I the part about being based on the slacko version. Thanks.

No need to be concerned; 14.1 is very stable. It's Slackware... its stable. :P

peebee

Re: Kernel

#50 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Is it possible to create an iso (no need for UEFI) with kernell 3.18.5 or later.
Hi Volhout

Have tried both the 3.19.0-64 and 3.18.6-64 kernels as provided by stemsee (thanks) and the 3.18.7 kernel from Fatdog64.

All work - but the 3.19 version doesn't have wifi firmware and is set to verbose boot so the 3.18.6 or 3.18.7 versions are probably "better" for your purposes.

Try them for yourself.....on a (fresh) frugal install:

1. download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... 3RmbFhHa0U

2. extract the vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs

3. move them to your frugal install folder and rename kernel-modules.sfs to zdrv_lxpup64_14.12.sfs

4. boot the updated system and test

If you want to try the Fatdog64 3.18.7 kernel as suggested by stemsee get it from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... rnels/700/

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.