LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#166 Post by peebee »

LxPup64-17.06.0b-uefi.iso
see above
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

belham2

#167 Post by belham2 »

Hi Peebee,

What would be the difference between this LxPup64 vs Micko's Slacko64-6.9.9.9 in terms of running a game?

The game is called "IQPuzzle". It requires qt5-common. So I have an qt5.sfs (from watchdog) and I loaded it in Slacko64-6.9.9.9, and IQPuzzle fires right up & away I am playing it.

But I copy the exact same IQPuzzle files from Slacko64 (all of them in /usr directories), copy over the qt5.sfs into LxPup64 frugal-boot folder, load the qt5.sfs, and IQPuzzle will not run or even start.

What the heck is so different from LxPup64 vs Slacko64-6.9.9.9 that this game won't run? I evne downloaded the DEVX (you linked), recompiled IQPuzzle inside LxPup64, and it still won't start and/or run even though the qt5.sfs is loaded.

What is LxPup64 missing vs Slacko64-6.9.9.9???

peebee

#168 Post by peebee »

belham2 wrote:What is LxPup64 missing vs Slacko64-6.9.9.9???
Nothing that I can think - to the contrary most of the changes are additions.

I presume you've run from the command line in a terminal? Any error messages?

I suppose it might be that the .desktop file is somehow incompatible with the LXDE menu - click directly on the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications to see....

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

zagreb999

hp pavilion win 8.1

#169 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

how can it be installed on uefi
with win8.1 on hard disk, fat 32
to be able to automatic boot?

(win 8.1 is deleted)

thanks.

peebee

LxPupSc64 RC1

#170 Post by peebee »

Release Candidate 1 of LxPupSc64.....

lxpupsc64-18.02RC1.iso

A full Woof-CE 64 bit build. Slackware64 Current based.

Kernel 4.15.4 64-bit built with gcc-7.3.0

Further details to follow.....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(120.24 KiB) Downloaded 1041 times
Last edited by peebee on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

LxPup64 - 64bit versions of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

#171 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 32gb flash drive to use on my Acer Revo:

System: Host: puppypc12968 Kernel: 4.15.4-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPupSc64 18.02
Machine: Device: desktop System: Acer product: Aspire R3610 serial: PTSCX0205302001AC12700
Mobo: Acer model: FMCP7A-ION-LE serial: U020102009703
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P01-A4 date: 11/03/2009
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU: Dual core Intel Atom 330 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1/1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA ION VGA
Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,nv,vesa) FAILED: fbdev
tty size: 111x27 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
Card-2: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Drives: HDD Total Size: 192.1GB (1.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 39 F (4 C) - light showers rain Time: February 19, 1:49 PM EST
Info: Processes: 146 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 242.6/1493.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

So far I installed getflash from PPM and used the network wizard to set
up the wired connection.

It's working okay so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(53.97 KiB) Downloaded 980 times

belham2

#172 Post by belham2 »

LOL,

I knew Billtoo would be hopping all over this & getting the first screenshots up. At least I got my smiley face in first! :lol:

Been playing with this the past few hours, really can't find anything wrong with it, Peebee. Good stuff. Can't believe you've come to the darkside (aka 64-bit land) :wink: Installed on Sony Vaio Core i3 laptop, 8GB ram, USB frugal IDE-attached drive, and added latest Palemoon 64-bit, in /opt, and--well, doggone Palemoon--- I'll be danged if I am not having "run-as-spot" problems again. I'll get it sorted here shortly, as I know it is something I did wrong. Also noticed there might be a stray .sh script in /usr/bin for redshift....was that intended to be there, even though no version of redshift is installed? I installed redshiftgui, and nothing seems amiss, redshiftgui fires right up and lodges itself in the system tray like it is supposed to. Also can't find any stray or stranded icons & menu entries so far, everything is launching like it is supposed to. I did install gpg & gnu (from PPM) for keyserver download verifications, but those did not go so well....but that is more of a problem with Slackware concerning those two programs (they've always screwed them up, no matter how much we complain to them about it).

So, all in all, thank you and keep up the 'darkside' work.

P.S. really like the green bubbles theme you included (as you can tell from the pics below)...kind of minty, Irish fun :D
Attachments
Screenshot0.png
(70.92 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
Screenshot.png
(102.11 KiB) Downloaded 976 times

ozsouth

#173 Post by ozsouth »

Nice one, Peebee. Things 'just work' like Pups of old.

Marv

#174 Post by Marv »

Up and running well on the Fujitsu S761 i5 based laptop. Standard Grub4Dos boot on the SSD with an EXT2 savefile set up on first reboot. Got to exercise it a bit cause I wasn't happy till I had cobbled together a run-as-spot SFS for Slimmie Version 18.0.1.0 (based on Chromium 64.0.3282.119) (Official Build) (64-bit). That still has a couple of rough spots but I'm posting from it now using the usual symlinked spot on the EXT2 data drive. Brightness buttons, sound, video all ok. glxgears FPS ok, I'm running a lot of stuff at the same time so no accurate read on that or benchmarks but it certainly seems snappy enough and idle CPU and memory use are pretty much what I expect to see on this hardware. On this intel hardware I add the usual lines to rc.local to bring the brightness up to max on boot and remove the save2flash from the desktop as I have it elsewhere.

Code: Select all

brightness=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness`
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
rm -f /root/Desktop/save2flash.desktop
SNS connection on the Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 (ath9k driver) card ok, firewall, flsynclient set up ok, reboot with savefile ok, PcManFm sets up as usual. No optical drive on the laptop I'm using right now. I'll check that and printer setup tomorrow. Mitigation for spectre v1, v2, and meltdown onboard. Just did a lidsuspend mid-post and I'm back with no glitches there.

No options for now? Rightclicks and Drives-on-desktop not found in a brief look.

Haven't broken it yet :) I'll keep at it.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#175 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Up and running well on the Fujitsu S761 i5 based laptop.
No options for now? Rightclicks and Drives-on-desktop not found in a brief look.
Cheers,
Great - thanks for the report & Billtoo, Belham2, Ozsouth.....

That's the problem with 64-bit - you need 64-bit builds of components....but right clicks should be there as default? Devx with gcc-7.30 will come later....

belham2

#176 Post by belham2 »

Hi Peebee, Marv, Ozsouth & Billtoo,

Are any of you getting the screensaver to function at all, either thru MENU-->Desktop--->ScreenSaver Control and/or 'pupX set properties of X'?

ScreenSaver Control is displaying weird behavior. If you 'Enable' it, then try to set the 'Delay', it automatically sets itself to "0" and then disables itself again. It also can't save any 'Delay' setting except for "0".
Attachments
Screensaver-not-working-anywhere.png
(115.37 KiB) Downloaded 848 times

belham2

#177 Post by belham2 »

Got some more crazy behavior:

If a person wants to remove "the Battery Charge" symbol out of the the system tray, and I assume a person would try to accomplish this (at least I always have) by opening MENU--->Desktop Session Settings and unchecking "powerapplet'. But upon saving to your savefile & rebooting so that setting takes hold, or even just 'Re-StartWM' and/or restarting X via terminal, you will be greeted with a completely non-functional internet connection (wireless and/or lan). And the internet connection was working great before & already saved into Savefile. What's even weirder is you cannot re-connect to the Internet no matter what..trying to re-set it and/or wiping and asking Setup to do it again. This is true no matter what you use--SNS, Frisbee, Network Wizard. The only way I've found LxPupSc64 lets you re-connect back to the Internet is IF you first 're-enable' the "powerapplet" in 'Desktop Session Settings', save & reboot, and then you can re-connect again. Really weird stuff.... :?
Attachments
Useless-battery-icon.png
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
trying-to-get-rid-of-this-useless-autostartup-battery-icon.png
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 840 times

peebee

#178 Post by peebee »

belham2 wrote:Are any of you getting the screensaver to function at all,
Missing library....will be fixed RC2

Marv

#179 Post by Marv »

@Belham2, I just disabled the powerapplet using both Menu>System>Boot Manager (my usual path) and Menu>Desktop>Desktop Session Settings. No interaction with the SNS made connection and the netmon_wce in tray on my i5 hardware referenced above. Posting now with it disabled. Re-enables cleanly also. Hardware?? I'm mostly on laptops now so I lidsuspend in lieu of the screensaver. All of my cats have liked to type.

@peebee, Having to scrounge and housebreak 64b replacements for my long used 32b progs is probably the main thing that has kept me 32b. I can change though therefore I must :lol: At this point I don't see 'permanently remove' etc. as rightclicks. I'll look for the mimelist etc. later. RC1 woke up well this AM and is doing the morning duties. Sylpheed works and shares a common profile with the 32b versions. I haven't tried to share the profile between the 32b and 64b Slimmies yet. Back around the 15.x.x Slimjet versions I did sucessfully though. The current 64b Slimjet did read and is using a copy of the 32b profile though so I have hope there.

Cheers (and freezing rain),

Edit: I installed the lx_right_clicks-0.7.pet from 18.02 32b. The install seemed clean with the combined mimelist created and symlinked and the usual entries in /usr/share/applications. Hasn't blown up yet and I have the extra rightclicks I use often back. I'll try out more of them and see..
Later: Checked, desktop_drive_icons is a compiled prog so no-go on that for now.
Last edited by Marv on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 18:55, edited 3 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Billtoo

LxPup64 - 64bit versions of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

#180 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive.

When it saves to the flash drive a red icon shows on the task bar, it
shows 0 memory remaining but restarting x gets rid of it.
Right clicks are working,screensaver too.

I added "intel_pstate=disable" to the kernel line of the menu.lst file.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
PSI-HW-SUMMARY-180220.gz
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

peebee

#181 Post by peebee »

RC2 delta from RC1

md5= c2440c83ca6f134300910fc7ae99d439 lxpupsc64-18.02RC2.iso

Known problems still in RC2:
- PPM repos need tidying
- Gnumeric/Goffice has crash bug when doing 'Find&Replace' (haven't been able to identify a 64-bit version of GTK2 Goffice without this bug...) (also present in Slacko64 and Xenial64 so maybe this will never go away....)

Options are back - but not desktop-drive-icons as there is no 64-bit .pet available (but you could select 'Show connected volumes on the desktop' in Desktop Preferences).

chromium64_64.0.3282.140+pepper_28.0.0.161_lx_spot.sfs works fine as replacement (rename as adrv) for light.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 2085 times

Marv

#182 Post by Marv »

RC1 updated to RC2. Options noted, thanks. I already had installed the lxrightclicks pet and modified 'permanently remove' so I didn't at update. For now, showing connected volumes on the desktop as you suggested and I am using pcmanfm instead of pmount as the 'handler' when a removable data drive is plugged in. I can then mount and unmount from there and the icon on the desktop is an extra flag that something is still mounted if I have closed pcmanfm. Saves a step on something I do a lot since I've gone samba-less.

HP4500 networked printer installed reasonably smoothly. I first used the hplip from the repo and then redid it with a modified (moved libfiles from /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 and added an older libjpeg it just had to have) 64 bit hplip made for Tahrpup64. It isn't hplip-lite but is <1Mb as opposed to the 15Mb hplip from the repositories. Both worked, it's the same 32bit to 64bit waltz.

Your run-as-spot chromium runs well and is quite a bit more stable than the Slimjet 18 run-as-spot I'm running at this time. The Slimjet sets up, runs and browses well and I prefer the layout, but as of yet it will not see the system printer (may need avahi) and closes/crashes when you try to save an image or page while downloads are excellent. That may well be a spot thing but if so it should nag, not crash. chromium is fine on all those counts.

Lots of squashing/unsquashing, PPM, deb &rpm installing and uninstalling, file and symlink editing/shuffling. Just general experimentation. Still haven't broken it yet though I always have a savefile and a spare browser profile up my sleeve. Haven't needed the savefile but I've zonked a couple of Slimjet profiles along the way.

Thanks,

Update: Got the printing sorted in Slimjet by not selecting 'print using system dialog' in settings (I have always used that). The printer then is accessible. Screensaver now working. I hadn't set it up or disabled it and it just 'saved' and recovered on touchpad swipe.
Last edited by Marv on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#183 Post by peebee »

I have found that libgoffice-0.8.so.8.0.17 extracted from
http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... _amd64.deb
fixes the gnumeric "find and replace" crash bug - will be in RC4
Last edited by peebee on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#184 Post by peebee »

RC4 delta from RC1

md5= f311af19ddc1dd3dd6ca730f85eca5f4 lxpupsc64-18.02RC4.iso

Gnumeric / goffice bug squashed
PPM repos tidied

Billtoo

#185 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:RC4 delta from RC1

md5= f311af19ddc1dd3dd6ca730f85eca5f4 lxpupsc64-18.02RC4.iso

Gnumeric / goffice bug squashed
PPM repos tidied
I gave RC4 a try, PPM will download an application but it doesn't include the dependencies of the application, at least I couldn't get it to work.

I updated PPM, exited it, and then restarted.

Thanks.