Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 05:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 38 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 09:52    Post subject:  

Hi,

just a short Info about using Carolina Vanguard for Multitrack Audiorecording:

- I was able to get my Phonic Helix Board MKII recognized in Lina Vanguard (thanks to the ffado package)
- 16 Channels/Audio-Tracks ready to be recorded in Rosegarden
- after 8 Seconds of recording Rosegarden came up with a Message: could not write Data fast enough to HD
- Rosegarden crashes after clicking Ok

So, unfortunately I have to say:

Linux (Puppy Linux) seems NOT to be able to be used for multi-track live-audio-recording!

For this issue I'm back to my Windows and Cubase LE 4.

I will make a test later using Ardour, but I fear it will end with equal results.

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 15:36    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
- after 8 Seconds of recording Rosegarden came up with a Message: could not write Data fast enough to HD
- Rosegarden crashes after clicking Ok

So, unfortunately I have to say:

Linux (Puppy Linux) seems NOT to be able to be used for multi-track live-audio-recording!
Do you think this is a genuine issue with HDD speed? Or maybe slow driver/incorrect module running the I/O path to HDD? Or some other Puppy related system overhead? I wonder if one of lowt3chs RT kernels would make a difference?
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 16:03    Post subject:  

I don't think this is related to HDD speed, since it works fine in Windows/Cubase.

Does Windows have a RT Kernel?

I think, the Studio Versions of 10wt3ch did not include the ffado drivers, that would be needed for the Phonic Helix Firewire 24 MKII Mixer.

Also I could not get Studio 13.37 running on my Audiorecording Machine. V1 as well as V2 has had some strange behavior:

- after a few minutes running Studio 13.37 the mouse pointer moves totally slow and has a delay to stop moving, when stop moving the mouse
- every keyboard input is doubled, so if I'm entering reboot into the console to reboot the machine, its output is:

rreebboott

Very strange... Shocked

Might have to do something with dual core processor - probably.

I remembering a issue with an old 8-Channel PCI Audio Card after installing it on a dual core machine - it was presented doubled in the device manager of windows and none of them both could be used then.

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 21:19    Post subject:  

caiosama wrote:
I had to turn off the firewall to use the remote control of Clementine

Can i add an exception?

I don't usually use the firewall.. so I'm not familiar with how to configure it and a quick search didn't pull up anything obvious, sorry Caiosama, have to wait for someone that knows better.

caiosama wrote:
Another request, the VLC included in Lina doesnt load subtitles Sad (i think is 2.0.0 by Billtoo)

Can i had another working VLC? i tested this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93448 , but doesnt work on Lina.

Hmm... I can look in to that, but I am working quite slowly on Vanguard these days Confused

LazY Puppy wrote:

For this issue I'm back to my Windows and Cubase LE 4.

I will make a test later using Ardour, but I fear it will end with equal results.

Multitrack recording with Ardour seems to works quite well for me in Vanguard, I do occasionally get JACK errors, but nothing a restart can't fix. I use a Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, but I only record two tracks at a time on a regular basis, so I suppose that is minimal. I thought I had run more tracks than that before, but it's been awhile. Hmm.

caiosama

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul 2015, 20:27    Post subject:  

Dont worry Battleshooter Very Happy

Gobbi

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul 2015, 04:07    Post subject:  

caiosama wrote:
Another request, the VLC included in Lina doesnt load subtitles Sad (i think is 2.0.0 by Billtoo)

It does load subtitles but they are tiny, tiny,tiny ...
I partially solved this problem changing fonts and font size under : Tools/Preferences/Subtitles/ . Note that you should fix this both in Simple and All interfaces ( there should be a bug here if it is not done automatically ) .
I said partially because it is not persistent , but since I don't use savefile - in the remastered ISO - the first instances of VLC play subtitles well .
@Biltoo's VLC is the only one that plays my favorite webcam in wallpaper mode - instead of background ... I couldn't do it with no other VLC in puppyland .

@battleshooter - the patch and link you provided some months ago were helpful to install the latest AMD Proprietary on Vanguard Lina R2 . Thank you again !
TTW

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2015, 16:46    Post subject: Wifi
Subject description: Wifi not found

After using Saluki since its inception I thought I would finally give Carolina a spin.

Booted up beautifully and I love the look and feel. One major problem though is no wifi.

Booting Saluki my wifi network is found straightaway. On Carolina no such luck. Seems it can't see my Broadcom card. Disappointed.

TTW
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2015, 19:08    Post subject: Broad drivers  

Hi TTW,

See Billtoo's post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=814620&sid=2752810824455fbaa4f1df37b4962077#814620

because I'm not sure this helps? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=626281#626281

Note the instructions for Carolina 03. I think, but am not sure, if peebee was referring to Carolina 1.3, not Vanguard.

mikesLr
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2015, 20:40    Post subject: Re: Wifi

TTW wrote:
After using Saluki since its inception I thought I would finally give Carolina a spin.

Booted up beautifully and I love the look and feel. One major problem though is no wifi.

Booting Saluki my wifi network is found straightaway. On Carolina no such luck. Seems it can't see my Broadcom card. Disappointed.

TTW

Odd, I thought the Broadcom issue was resolved awhile ago. As Mike pointed out in the old post did a reboot resolve anything? Though I'm not sure why that would make a difference.

What's the model number for the Broadcom device?

TTW

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2015, 09:28    Post subject: Re: Wifi

battleshooter wrote:

Odd, I thought the Broadcom issue was resolved awhile ago. As Mike pointed out in the old post did a reboot resolve anything? Though I'm not sure why that would make a difference.

What's the model number for the Broadcom device?

Yes I thought I had read that the Broadcom issues were resolved. I had high hopes particularly as I never had a single problem using Saluki and I just assumed that as this was a fork from Saluki then it would be easy too.

I didn't reboot - it was late last night but will do so tonight.

I will post my Broadcom stats later when I get home.

I will also do an MD5 on the ISO just in case.

TTW
TTW

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 16:14    Post subject: Broadcom Wifi
Subject description: Broadcom controller not found

Didn't get a chance until now.
Reboot had no effect although I didn't create a savefile so not sure if that was necessary.

Output of lspci -knn when using Saluki - where my broadcom was always found by Frisbee:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0510]
Kernel driver in use: brcmsmac

Any ideas gratefully received.

TTW
TTW

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 17:16    Post subject: Broadcom Wifi

Update:
MD5 Checksum is good

Rebooted a number of times including with a save file - still fails to find my wifi network

Loaded and unloaded all the Broadcom drivers found under the network manager - none of them found my wifi connection

Frisbee and network manager both still say no Wifi controller or connection available.

I checked out the post linked to by Mike but to be honest got confused as to which pets I should download for Vanguard Caroline.

Any help gratefully received

TTW
battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 23:12    Post subject: Re: Broadcom Wifi

TTW wrote:
Update:
MD5 Checksum is good

Rebooted a number of times including with a save file - still fails to find my wifi network

Loaded and unloaded all the Broadcom drivers found under the network manager - none of them found my wifi connection

Frisbee and network manager both still say no Wifi controller or connection available.

I checked out the post linked to by Mike but to be honest got confused as to which pets I should download for Vanguard Caroline.

Any help gratefully received

TTW

Ugh, well that's a bummer. For diagnosis, can you please post the results of System -> Lighthouse sys-info?

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 02:09    Post subject: Re: Broadcom Wifi

TTW wrote:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0510]
Kernel driver in use: brcmsmac

See: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/#Supported_devices

14e4:4727 is not supported by b43 driver and the warning is given "BCM4313 is not fully supported" for the brcm80211 driver.

So you probably do need the proprietary wl driver - which is kernel specific and I don't think has been compiled for the 3.18.1 kernel..... I can provide sources if somebody wants to try.

LxPup15.06 has the wl driver available as an option - so it would be interesting to know if your wifi worked there.

TTW

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 03:45    Post subject: Re: Broadcom Wifi

peebee wrote:
[

14e4:4727 is not supported by b43 driver and the warning is given "BCM4313 is not fully supported" for the brcm80211 driver.

So you probably do need the proprietary wl driver - which is kernel specific and I don't think has been compiled for the 3.18.1 kernel..... I can provide sources if somebody wants to try.

I would be willing to try and compile it however I have never compiled anything before so will need an idiots set of step by step instructions and list of what I need to make it work.

TTW
Page 38 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: