Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 21:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 14:28    Post subject:  

Yoo-hoo, guys! Smile

I'm still here waiting for a solution or at least an explanation to my
Carolina Vanguard boot problem! Smile

Thanks in advance.

musher0

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
ally

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:14    Post subject:  

hey battleshooter

finally got around to taking vanguard for a spin, looks good, quick Q, how would I get chrome running?

Smile
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:52    Post subject: intel 4000 HD graphics  

i915.modeset=0 as a kernel parameter does get vlina running on the Bay Trail box with the correct.. and visible resolution, albeit with the vesa driver, software rasterizing and a glacial 25 FPS glxgears (glxgears on the same box with the intel driver etc in LxPupTahr is 2915 FPS). This should make troubleshooting a bit easier now.
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, LxPupBionic and upupdd for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:56    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
fix for Skype is spitting something out about QT incompatibility -

Code:
# skype
Fatal: Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40802)
/usr/bin/skype: line 6: 26375 Aborted                 /usr/share/skype/skype
#

It appears you are using a skype package other than the Carolina one, which has a different version of QT included.

There is no need to install skype as vlina-1.3 has skype included and only the changes I mentioned need to be done,
even though it works without the change it's just to remove unneeded elements.

Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 18:06; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 17:11    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
hey battleshooter

finally got around to taking vanguard for a spin, looks good, quick Q, how would I get chrome running?

Smile

I have kost@s's chromium package installed and working chromium-37.0.2062.94.pet
chrome.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.74 KB
 Viewed   435 Time(s)

chrome.jpg

ally

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 17:41    Post subject:  

thanks Smile
Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 18:45    Post subject: Master PDF Editor from the menu.
Subject description: failure to run

Thank you , Master PDF Editor, fix in, and running.

Had to use Vesa to make video card run, but you know that.

Strange happenings when using a usb stick, removing it then putting it back to same usb port after transferring data to a different computer. Would not recognize the reinsertion, and yes I had ejected the stick before removal.

Needs more testing from others to verify.

Thanks again for a very nice looking and fast Puppy. NO problem on size!

PDF edit is an interesting program. Bringing modified saved file to a different Firefox gave some strange results. Either my learning curve or?
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 19:28    Post subject:  

Everyone banding together to bring me the answers to my questions ... brings tears to my eyes Crying or Very sad Laughing But seriously, thanks guys Very Happy

Billtoo wrote:
Carolina 1.3 works on the ivybridge computer
Billtoo wrote:
It's using the vesa driver on bootup,
Marv wrote:
i915.modeset=0 as a kernel parameter does get vlina running on the Bay Trail box with the correct.. and visible resolution, albeit with the vesa driver, software rasterizing and a glacial 25 FPS glxgears (glxgears on the same box with the intel driver etc in LxPupTahr is 2915 FPS)

So looks like we have Vesa going, but optimally we want the actual Intel driver going from Marv's dismal comparison. From what I read the Intel drivers require modeset=1, but it looks like to get Vesa going modeset needs to be off?

Keisha wrote:
Tried, but in tar.gz format the answers plus four relevant screencaps are 335K and this forum only allows 256K upload attachments. PM me your email addy and I'll send it that way.

Done.

musher0 wrote:
Yoo-hoo, guys! Smile

I'm still here waiting for a solution or at least an explanation to my
Carolina Vanguard boot problem! Smile

Whoa, give me a chance to wake up Razz Way too early in the morning for "Yoo-hoo" greetings. I'd never greet someone like that till the afternoon Laughing

musher0 wrote:
You did get me "sold" on your product Smile.

Cool, let's hope I didn't sell you a lemon Smile

musher0 wrote:
However, your new Carolina girl leaves me out in the cold Smile after (giving
me the) boot-up, exactly at
Code:
root login on "tty1"

I mean: the boot process goes well and then the computer freezes badly
at that point.

I don't know that I've ever seen that before. Geoff? Help? I'll look it up, but might want to check the md5sum, and maybe retransfer adrv, zdrv, initrd.gz, etc again. I've had weird errors just poor transfers before so just suggesting.

ally wrote:

Yeah, I know that's a popular browser, need to get on to putting a link on the top posts. Also need to get on to adding credits to Geoff and the Carolina team. That's been bugging me for days now Confused Such a slacker Sad

battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 19:38    Post subject:  

Minnesota wrote:
Strange happenings when using a usb stick, removing it then putting it back to same usb port after transferring data to a different computer. Would not recognize the reinsertion, and yes I had ejected the stick before removal.

Needs more testing from others to verify.

Strange, haven't had that issue before. MD5sum check out?

Minnesota wrote:
PDF edit is an interesting program. Bringing modified saved file to a different Firefox gave some strange results. Either my learning curve or?

More of Geoff's department than mine. Smile

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 21:34    Post subject:  

Image list problem as reported by Terry H on the Carolina thread.

Terry H wrote:
Problem when attempting to set Desktop Wallpaper to 'Image List'.

I'm not sure what is supposed to happen with this option. The Radio Button is only highlighted without the button actually being selected. The desktop seems to freeze for 30 seconds or so, followed by choppy cursor movement. Eventually the window closes and correct cursor function returns.

I just noticed this using Carolina Vanguard, so checked on Carolina 1.3 and the same issue occurred. I am using Dell D620 laptop Core Duo 2.16 GHz, with Intel graphics.

The 'None' option works correctly.

Yeah, weird, fixed if you delete /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/backdrop.list then the list works and you can create a new list,
that's strange, seems to be a miss match of image files or something Confused Phew.. easy peasy.
image-list.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   98.59 KB
 Viewed   370 Time(s)

image-list.jpg

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 21:43    Post subject:  

@battleshooter

As long as we're drowning you Twisted Evil

Code:
                  Scribbled notes Bay Trail mobo summary (has intel HD 4000 video, j1900 processor)

Carolina 1.2 with 3.14.20, 3.15.4, 3.17.x, and vlina
   Xorg version:                  1.11.0
   Intel driver version:            2.15.0 (compiled for 1.11.0)
   Mesa version:                  7.10.3
   Maximum driver (i915.modeset=0):   'vesa'
   glxgears (vblank_mode=0):         25 FPS

X-slacko 2.3 non-PAE with 3.14.20 kernel
   Xorg version:                  1.12.4
   Intel driver version:            2.19.0  (compiled for 1.12.4)
   Mesa version:                  8.04
   maximum driver (set in xorg.conf):   'modesetting'
   glxgears (vblank_mode=0)         412 FPS

LxPupTahr 14.10.1 non-PAE with std 3.14.20 kernel
   Xorg version:                  1.15.1
   Intel driver version:            2.99.910  (compiled for 1.15.1)
   Mesa version:                  10.1.3
   maximum driver:                  'intel'
   glxgears (vblank_mode=0)         2915 FPS

For comparison, on the 1.6 GHz Pentium M 855GM laptop, vlina uses the 'intel' driver and produces a respectable 590 FPS in glxgears.

From my fiddling with X-slacko, where I had matched kernels to work with, I believe for full support of the newer bridges and intel HD videos both the newest of the above intel drivers , Mesa, and a matched set of Xorg stuff is probably required. Ugh.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, LxPupBionic and upupdd for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Moat

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 22:34    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
It appears you are using a skype package other than the Carolina one, which has a different version of QT included.

Hi Geoffrey -

As I never installed Skype (no need/interest/use), I'll hazard a guess that this might actually be a result of my (imprudent) re-use of my old savefile (created originally on 1.2).

Suppose I'd better keep quiet until I delete this old savefile and re-build from scratch! Embarassed

Bob
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 23:02    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Image list problem as reported by Terry H on the Carolina thread.

Haha. I answered this on the Carolina thread, didn't know you posted the solution here Smile

Marv wrote:
As long as we're drowning you Twisted Evil

Glug glug glug Laughing

I asked for it though didn't I? Smile

Marv wrote:
I believe for full support of the newer bridges and intel HD videos both the newest of the above intel drivers , Mesa, and a matched set of Xorg stuff is probably required. Ugh.

I'm still not utterly convinced a newer Xorg is needed, but I guess I don't mind reopening that can of worms.

If you don't mind testing an utterly buggy Xorg, I suppose I could even throw a link up for you. The main issue I have with it is actually not graphically related but rather the input drivers don't seem right. They work, but they should really be using the new drivers (evdev) not the old drivers (kbd and mouse). Hmm. I might try nicking the Tahr or another modern Puppy's XorgWizard and see if they will allow evdev. Hmm.

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 23:21    Post subject:  

battleshooter wrote:

I'm still not utterly convinced a newer Xorg is needed, but I guess I don't mind reopening that can of worms.

If you don't mind testing an utterly buggy Xorg, I suppose I could even throw a link up for you. The main issue I have with it is actually not graphically related but rather the input drivers don't seem right. They work, but they should really be using the new drivers (evdev) not the old drivers (kbd and mouse). Hmm. I might try nicking the Tahr or another modern Puppy's XorgWizard and see if they will allow evdev. Hmm.

Can't be much buggier than the one I cobbled together for X-slacko 2.3 and the Bay trail. I am pretty sure I did use the wizard from Tahr. It did load and boot to X but the graphics performance was poorer than the stock X-slacko running with the modesetting driver and I veered off course. Never checked the mouse driver etc.

Edit: vlina just flies on the 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop. I've been using it steadily and it is as quick and light as it gets. A little more panel fiddling and CPU use at idle is down to 2%. Standard governor setup with ondemand/80% and no fan talk at all.

Last edited by Marv on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 23:50; edited 3 times in total
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 23:38    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
Can't be much buggier than the one I cobbled together for X-slacko 2.3 and the Bay trail. I am pretty sure I did use the wizard from Tahr. It did load and boot to X but the graphics performance was poorer than the stock X-slacko running with the modesetting driver and I veered off course. Never checked the mouse driver etc.

I'll take that as a yes then Wink

Just need to test it before upload, I've remade the package so many times I can't remember if the last was a working build or not!

Page 4 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: