Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
johnywhy

#361 Post by johnywhy »

Geoffrey wrote:run this in the terminal and all should be good

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libxfce4util.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib/libxfce4util.so.7
that worked. So, does this command point anything asking for the .6.0.0 toward the .7 instead?

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#362 Post by johnywhy »

Thx for this awesome puppy, my current fave!

Issues on first day with Vlina. Note, this is a vlina without an adrv ("slim" mode):

vlina issues:

- autocomplete not working in run box.
- grid padding/spacing have no effect.
- lock desktop not working

Attempted to install Wine from puppy-carolina repository. Received following errors:

- File /usr/lib/wine/gphoto2.ds.so has these missing library files:
libgphoto2.so.6 libgphoto2_port.so.10
- File /usr/lib/wine/winemp3.acm.so has these missing library files:
libmpg123.so.0
- File /usr/lib/wine/wldap32.dll.so has these missing library files:
libldap_r-2.4.so.2 liblber-2.4.so.2

Attempted to generate a remaster. I booted the new iso, and found the following were missing from remaster: (some of these maybe normal)

- Critical: frisbee not seeing any connections (lost hdwr settings?). Unable to connect to wireless.
- thunar settings (even tho selected Thunar and all other config files, during Thunar config remaster)
- asked to enable firewall (already enabled in source)
- custom bash script which i had put into the source root/startup dir.
- went into 'personalize' screen on first boot (maybe normal?). NumLock was not checked, although it was enabled in the source puppy.
- synclient sensitivity (other synclient settings were preserved).
- saved frisbee networks
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#363 Post by Geoffrey »

johnywhy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:run this in the terminal and all should be good

ln -s /usr/lib/libxfce4util.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib/libxfce4util.so.7
that worked. So, does this command point anything asking for the .6.0.0 toward the .7 instead?

thx!
Creates a symlink named libxfce4util.so.7 to libxfce4util.so.6.0.0
vlina issues:

- autocomplete not working in run box.
- grid padding/spacing have no effect.
- lock desktop not working
If you mean run command, then that's just a simple yad script which does have a history which is selectable from the combobox.

Grid padding/spacing for desktop icons are working ok for me.

lock desktop, xlock needs replacing, see HERE

Don't worry about the missing lib files with wine, it should still work ok.

As for the missing config files for thunar and the like, you will most likely have to replace those that are required in /root/.config and /root/Startup from a working install, I usually manually edit the sfs for those types of changes.

I'm not sure but it maybe possible to merge a save file contents into the sfs to create a custom remaster, just thinking out loud.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

johnywhy

#364 Post by johnywhy »

thx for speedy reply!
Geoffrey wrote: Creates a symlink named libxfce4util.so.7 to libxfce4util.so.6.0.0
Could that affect other executables which are expecting the .7 version?
autocomplete not working in run box.
If you mean run command, then that's just a simple yad script which does have a history which is selectable from the combobox.
Yes, run command, and I used some puppy recently which has auto-complete in the run box. Not sure which version, but prolly something with xfce. Would be nice if Lina had that.
Grid padding/spacing for desktop icons are working ok for me.
i go into xfce power tools, change the padding or spacing to 8, hit 'Apply', and nothing changes on the desktop. am i doin it wrong?
Don't worry about the missing lib files with wine, it should still work ok.
been trying to get eM client to run with Wine alone, PlayOnLinux, and Wine-Portable (my fave!). Was able to run eM installer, but not the application. Posted on separate thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 478#841478
As for the missing config files for thunar and the like, you will most likely have to replace those that are required in /root/.config and /root/Startup from a working install, I usually manually edit the sfs for those types of changes.
so the section of the remastering tool, where it gives you a list of config files, and you checkmark the ones to include, that does not work?
I'm not sure but it maybe possible to merge a save file contents into the sfs to create a custom remaster, just thinking out loud.
Seems most logical to me! Since i would expect (and prefer) a remaster to include everything in my setup.

but bigger problems now, will post separately.

thx!
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#365 Post by johnywhy »

Hello

i have 3 frugal Vanguards, and i believe they are using each other's PSF's. i'm seeing the wallpaper of one of them in a different Vanguard, and panel changes i made are half-lost and scrambled up. But, all their panels and wallpapers seem identical, on casual inspection. Other changes seem just plain lost.

on one partition, i have my own remastered Lina. On another partition, i have a full Vanguard install in one folder, and in another folder a 'Slim' Vanguard, with no adrv.

None are on the boot partition, where grub is installed.

Looking kinda like a monster mixture of config's. All the work and time put into configuring these 3 frugals appears hosed, as they say.

Was able to recover the Slim install by copy/pasting a backup i had of it's PSF.

:(

update: i instructed the Slim Vanguard to increase it's PSF size. Then, i booted into the full stock Vanguard, and IT increased it PSF size!
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 05:57, edited 2 times in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#366 Post by johnywhy »

plz see my previous post, more urgent, thx!
Geoffrey wrote:I recompiled xlock and enabled the .xlockrc
thx for that!

works.

but doesn't it usually ask user to set a password before locking?
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#367 Post by Geoffrey »

johnywhy wrote:Hello

i have 3 frugal Vanguards, and i believe they are using each other's PSF's.

on one partition, i have my own remastered Lina. On another partition, i have a full Vanguard install in one folder, and in another folder a 'Slim' Vanguard, with no adrv.

None are on the boot partition, where grub is installed.

Now, i'm seeing the wallpaper of one of them in a different Vanguard, and panel changes i made are half-lost and scrambled up.

Looking kinda like a monster mixture of config's.

:(
Try renaming each save so you know which save belongs to what, then by rights it should list them at boot and select the correct one
but doesn't it usually ask user to set a password before locking?
Delete /root/.xlockrc then it will ask to set a password.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

johnywhy

#368 Post by johnywhy »

Geoffrey wrote:
johnywhy wrote:i have 3 frugal Vanguards, and i believe they are using each other's PSF's.
Try renaming each save so you know which save belongs to what, then by rights it should list them at boot and select the correct one.
Gee, i think that worked.

Thx, Geoffrey!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#369 Post by johnywhy »

johnywhy wrote:Attempted to generate a remaster. I booted the new iso, and... Critical: frisbee not seeing any connections (lost hdwr settings?). Unable to connect to wireless.
Attached is wireless diag, if that helps.

thx!
Attachments
pnetworkdiag-20150421.tar.gz
(38.09 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#370 Post by Geoffrey »

A while back I complied xfce desktop 4.12 and xfce4-panel 4.12.0, for some unknown reason I've managed to lose all that I compiled, but luckily I found a package I made from them,
I've stripped it back so as not to break anything which is in vlina and from the testing I've done appears to work ok.

It may be wise to try this in a new save file first to be sure it's ok, as it overwrites existing files so it can't be uninstalled.

Edit: see this post, updated http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 984#841984
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji

XFCE 4.12

#371 Post by rokytnji »

Installed new pet with virgin new save file like suggested.
Posting from it nw

sh-4.3# inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: puppypc20780 Kernel: 3.18.1 i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.0 (Gtk 2.24.8)
           Distro: Vanguard-Carolina Linux Linux 3.18.1 [ arch]
Machine:   System: Intel (portable) product: Intel powered classmate PC v: 3rd Gen
           Mobo: QCI model: Intel powered classmate PC v: 3rd Gen
           Bios: Phoenix v: HP94510A.86A.0035.2009.0427.2020 date: 04/27/2009
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3193
           clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.16.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 79x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.18.1
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Ralink driver: rt2800usb v: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 001-004
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 60.0GB (11.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK6028GA size: 60.0GB temp: 40C
           ID-1: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 124 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 209.2/2013.4MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 2.2.16 
sh-4.3# 
Terminal in "Utility>Terminal" won't launch. To get around it and test this problem a bit more.
I installed LXTerminal.

Double check was

sh-4.3# which terminal
/usr/bin/terminal
sh-4.3# terminal
terminal 0.4.8 then launches OK with no errors.
From "Menu>Run Command"
the command terminal launches .0.4.8 terminal OK.

I can't remember off hand what to look at to edit "menu>utility>terminal" right now because it is a busy day in the m/c shop. Just posting early info on this 4.12 install is all.

Only tests done so far Geoffrey. Wondering how safe yet it is to add this to my complete save file made during initial install but I have the room on this netbook to live with this new one and set it up like the earlier install save file, that I have been rolling with.

Looks OK so far Geoffrey.[/code]

Geoffrey

Re: XFCE 4.12

#372 Post by Geoffrey »

rokytnji wrote:
Terminal in "Utility>Terminal" won't launch.
Yeah I'm fixing that, making another package with all the fixes and a few updates including xfce 4.12, in the mean time all you need do is disable "Use startup notification"
for the panel launcher and for the menu entry just edit the /usr/share/applications/Terminal.desktop

I'm adding these updates:

Fix terminal .
Fix xlock
Update "/bin/ln" so relative symlinks can be created using the thunar rightclick menu "Create Symlink" .
Adding "/usr/bin/xclip" and renaming thunar custom action from "Show Full Path" to "Copy Path"
Update Whisker menu panel plugin.
Remove the thunar wallpaper plugin as it no longer works with xfce 4.12, this will remove the menu option to set as wallpaper/background.
Remove "/usr/bin/xfce4-settings-manager" as this does not work, Control panel is the default which runs with the command "wizardwizard".
Fix xmenumaker icon.

If there are any other things that anybody feels need addressing please let me know.
Attachments
snapshot2.png
(47.18 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
snapshot1.png
(57.49 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#373 Post by starhawk »

Yesterday I had the strangest problem. I'm reporting this as a curiosity, not as a problem, at least at this point. I gave up trying to troubleshoot it, mostly because I don't know how.

I was running two spare systems. One was my netbook...

ASUS 1000HE
1.6GHz Atom N270
2gb RAM
32gb SSD

...and the other was my Dell laptop, don't remember the specs offhand. It's a Latitude E4310; I just don't remember what I've done to it :P

On the netbook, I was running Caro Vanguard from either (a) frugal install to the SSD with grub4dos, or (b) manual frugal install to a USB stick. The stick is a 32gb Lexar. On the Dell, I was running from CD, as it only has one functional USB port. (Repairing the broken one --and it is a mechanical repair issue-- requires pulling the entire laptop apart, down to the chassis. No thanks!)

Regardless, installing either PeeBee's or kost@s' Chromium 42 SFS, or the Chromium 40 SFS I have archived on my desktop (which runs it fine) or re-downloading the Chromium 40 SFS -- in all cases on both systems from all three install methods, Chromium would not run. PeeBee's SFS gave me the "default browser" check and that was it. Converting it into a dotPET using SFS2PET didn't fix it.

The complaint, when run in terminal, was either a malloc() failure or some sort of filesystem check that failed. In the case of the malloc() failure, it was always 0xb7[...] -- the remaining digits were different, but the first hex pair for that pointer was always b7. I got the malloc() problem almost exclusively when I disabled sandboxing entirely, or when I ran Chromium as 'spot' instead of 'root'. When sandboxing was enabled, I got the filesystem check problem instead.

I know the RAM in both machines is good, and nothing was installed other than Chromium and libevent-2.0.21-up-20130310.txz -- a package I have on Caro Vanguard on the desktop which works with Chromium 40. I'm using that combination on the desktop right now and it works fine.

Has anyone here encountered any of this? Would anyone here happen to know what could trigger it, or how to fix it? Again, at this point it's a mild irritation more than anything -- but I'd still like to know!

rokytnji

#374 Post by rokytnji »

Thanks Geoffrey. Used your instructions and got it sorted.

Will make another save when the fixed 4.12 is ready.

johnywhy

#375 Post by johnywhy »

more vlina issues to share:
on Vanguard slim-mode (no adrv)

- xfce power tools bug: After setting and applying settings several times, the whole desktop disappears. Panels still work, so 'restart wm' fixes it.

clipboard bug: clipboard loses text:
- open a panel launcher-widget properties.
- open edit-window on any program in the launcher.
- Tab to the 'command' box. Copy (ctrl-c). Keep properties open.
- open leafpad. Paste. No problem so far.
- return to the launcher program properties window.
- tab to the 'name' field. Ctrl-c copy.
- Close the program properties window.
- Switch to leafpad.
- Paste. Nothing pastes. The clipboard is lost.
This problem is not universal-- eg, you can copy text in leafpad and close leafpad, and the text will remain on the clipboard.

Shutdown sometimes fails. Not sure of exact sequence, but something like:
- First shutdown (no save file)
- click "save"
- continue to last step of save config
- click "back"
- continue to last step of save config, again
- finish the wizard.
- shutdown does not happen
- click start menu > shutdown
- shutdown does not happen:

EDIT:
Screenshot bug - puppy freezes:
- open application menu > graphic > Screenshot tool
- set Delay to 10 seconds
- click 'select a region'
- browse to a new save location
- click 'ok'
- Puppy freezes up. Nothing clicks. Cannot open panel. Alt-Tab does nothing.
- Had to press computer power-button to shutdown.

ppm bug:
- click 'sylpheed portable' in ppm
- nothing happens

not complaining, just reporting.

Thx for all the puppies!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#376 Post by Geoffrey »

johnywhy wrote:- xfce power tools bug: After setting and applying settings several times, the whole desktop disappears. Panels still work, so 'restart wm' fixes it.
If it locks up then press the panic button, the one with the question mark next to apply will get the desktop back.
clipboard bug: clipboard loses text:
- open a panel launcher-widget properties.
- open edit-window on any program in the launcher.
- Tab to the 'command' box. Copy (ctrl-c). Keep properties open.
- open leafpad. Paste. No problem so far.
- return to the launcher program properties window.
- tab to the 'name' field. Ctrl-c copy.
- Close the program properties window.
- Switch to leafpad.
- Paste. Nothing pastes. The clipboard is lost.
This problem is not universal-- eg, you can copy text in leafpad and close leafpad, and the text will remain on the clipboard.
Yeah, get that with a number of different apps, once closed loses the clipboard, use a clipboard manager to get around that
Shutdown sometimes fails. Not sure of exact sequence, but something like:
- First shutdown (no save file)
- click "save"
- continue to last step of save config
- click "back"
- continue to last step of save config, again
- finish the wizard.
- shutdown does not happen
- click start menu > shutdown
- shutdown does not happen:
I've had a similar thing, when setting up the wireless, I found the best way is to make a save prior to making any changes to settings else it sometimes hangs.
- open application menu > graphic > Screenshot tool :?
- set Delay to 10 seconds
- click 'select a region'
- browse to a new save location
- click 'ok'
- Puppy freezes up. Nothing clicks. Cannot open panel. Alt-Tab does nothing.
- Had to press computer power-button to shutdown.
I did that and it works fine for me :?
'sylpheed portable'
I can't find that in the ppm, there is sylpheed-3.0.3-w5c.pet

Sage

#377 Post by Sage »

fixes and a few updates including xfce 4.12
X-Slacko could do with a make-over, too. Smaller and faster than C-Van. Any chance you and rg could get together, Geoff?

johnywhy

#378 Post by johnywhy »

thx again for speedy reply!
Geoffrey wrote:use a clipboard manager to get around that
will that conflict with the built-in clipboard?
Geoffrey wrote:
Shutdown sometimes fails.
I've had a similar thing, when setting up the wireless, I found the best way is to make a save prior to making any changes to settings else it sometimes hangs.
I don't think making a save is necessary, because i already set it to save, and the hardware-switch shutdown worked. But, how does one make a save?
Geoffrey wrote:
I did that and it works fine for me :?
is there a log or some way i can give more info? Actually, the only reason i opened screenshot-tool from menu is because nothing happened when i pressed 'print screen' key. I just tried again after reboot, and 'print screen' key worked. Seems very hard to trace this kind of issue!
Geoffrey wrote:
'sylpheed portable'
I can't find that in the ppm
i updated my repositories. How could we have different repositories?

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#379 Post by Geoffrey »

I've made a new package to update to xfce 4.12 and apply a number of the fixes I mentioned in my previous post, try this with a new save to test, it appears to be working fine for me

Fix terminal .
Fix xlock
Update "/bin/ln" so relative symlinks can be created using the thunar rightclick menu "Create Symlink" .
Adding "/usr/bin/xclip" and renaming thunar custom action from "Show Full Path" to "Copy Path"
Update Whisker menu panel plugin.
Remove the thunar wallpaper plugin as it no longer works with xfce 4.12, this will remove the menu option to set as wallpaper/background.
Remove "/usr/bin/xfce4-settings-manager" as this does not work, Control panel is the default which runs with the command "wizardwizard".
Fix xmenumaker icon.

vlina_xfce_4.12_updates_and_fixes.pet install for Vanguard Edition Release 2

johnywhy

#380 Post by johnywhy »

Geoffrey wrote:I've made a new package to update to xfce 4.12 and apply a number of the fixes
Thx, will try it! Prolly won't find time for a couple days.

Meanwhile, would like to suggest a "puppyzer" to make any xfce work with puppy. So as new versions of xfce come out, won't be necessary to build a whole new pet. I realize might not be TOTALLY forward compatible, but prolly would be MOSTLY forward compatible-- especially for minor upgrades.

Thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]