Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Carolina: Vanguard Edition

#31 Post by Billtoo »

I tested on another ACER desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 14 Dec 2014 on Vanguard-Carolina 1.3 Linux 3.18.0 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Core 0: @1200 1: @1200 2: @1200 3: @1200 MHz

So I have 2 that work with intel (G31 and Ironlake)and 2 that don't
work (Ivybridge and HD 4000).

@Marv
I did that last test by booting the live dvd puppy pfix=nox,ram
I may try again with a flash drive install.
Thanks

Moat

#32 Post by Moat »

Frugal install to SD card (via USB card adapter) on this old 2005-ish HP-DV500 hand-me-down laptop;

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2050  @ 1.60GHz
Memory		: 2063MB (206MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Puppy Linux
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Sun Dec 14 21:08:59 2014
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM  x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Outstanding! I echo what others have said about low CPU use/snappiness - Carolina seems to have always been superior in that regard, and this one is even better (!?!!) - a fresh install bouncing between 0-1% @ idle. Unheard of in Puppy.

I copied over and re-named (just adding "v" to the front of the name) my previous 1.3 version savefile... aside from missing the Faenza icons on my wbar (resolved by mounting the previous main .sfs and copying the Faenza folders over to /usr/share/icons), all seems to be running just fine. Any reason using my old savefile like this might not be a good idea?

Interesting, I noticed a number of new services enabled... things like "Allusbserial", "martian" and "Nozomi" - will have to do a little Googling and determine which of those can be safely disabled.

No wireless access ATM, so will test that when I get the chance.

The best just keeps getting better and better... 8)

Bob
Attachments
Carolina_Vanguard.jpg
Carolina Vanguard running previous savefile
(110.09 KiB) Downloaded 687 times

Moat

#33 Post by Moat »

Moat wrote:No wireless access ATM, so will test that when I get the chance.
Posting now from McD's WiFi - Frisbee connected perfectly!

Bob

Keisha

Carolina Vanguard not working with Intel IvyBridge graphics

#34 Post by Keisha »

Carolina Vanguard on Intel IvyBridge graphics doesn't work here either, same symptoms as billtoo reports.

Minnesota

Master PDF Editior

#35 Post by Minnesota »

Nice!
Crisp and looks good!

Tried to run Master PDF Editor from the menu. It looks at me, did not run.
Found the script, tried to run it. Gives error line five. Sorry beyond me.

Thanks.

Moat

Re: Master PDF Editior

#36 Post by Moat »

Minnesota wrote:Tried to run Master PDF Editor from the menu. It looks at me, did not run.
Same here. Running from the terminal, looks like missing elements of GLIBC... or symlinks?

# master-pdf-editor
/opt/MasterPDFEditor/master-pdf-editor: /opt/MasterPDFEditor/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
/opt/MasterPDFEditor/master-pdf-editor: /opt/MasterPDFEditor/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
Bob

battleshooter

#37 Post by battleshooter »

Billtoo wrote:Unfortunately I haven't a clue what I'm looking for :)
I suppose errors, firmware not found/not loading. Usually quite obvious with a quick glance through. But still, you should be able to get dmesg out with

dmesg > /root/dmesg.txt
That puts the output to a text file in root. What I usually do then if I don't have access to Xorg is save the pupsave and access it in another pup like Marv suggested.
Marv wrote:Try dmesg | grep drm and dmesg | grep i915. To save them you may be able to redirect them to files on the boot partition and get at them from another pup.
Thanks for piping in Marv, I was busy today.
Moat wrote:aside from missing the Faenza icons on my wbar
Yeah, I was scrimping a bit there, worried about size going over 500MB so I removed them to make way for the new icons. Figured if anyone wanted them back they could just put them back like you did.
Moat wrote:Interesting, I noticed a number of new services enabled... things like "Allusbserial", "martian" and "Nozomi
Hmm, thanks for the heads up. I think the kernel put a bunch of services like the ones you mentioned in to /etc/init.d. I wasn't sure which were essential Puppy services and which were superfluous, so please do share the results of your research :)
Moat wrote:Posting now from McD's WiFi - Frisbee connected perfectly!
Sweet! I think these positive reports might give me a dose of endorphins ;)
Billtoo wrote:So I have 2 that work with intel (G31 and Ironlake)and 2 that don't work (Ivybridge and HD 4000).
Keisha wrote:Carolina Vanguard on Intel IvyBridge graphics doesn't work here either, same symptoms as billtoo reports.
Thanks for the new reports guys. I'm suspecting Xorg, but would like to do more research before putting up a Xorg update pet. What distros/Puplets do your graphics cards work with?
Minnesota wrote:Nice!
Crisp and looks good!

Tried to run Master PDF Editor from the menu. It looks at me, did not run.
Found the script, tried to run it. Gives error line five. Sorry beyond me.

Thanks.
No worries! It's an easy fix. Geoff posted the fix here.

Skype needs a fix too.

They needed a glibc work around in the original Carolina, but obviously glibc has been updated in Vanguard so the work around isn't needed and in fact breaks the application.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

battleshooter

#38 Post by battleshooter »

Thinking about the Intel issue... questions I'd like answers to, can't seem to find them by searching:
  • 1. What .ko do the cards in question use?
    2. What .firmware do the cards in question use?
    3. Xorg.conf of working configs and of the config in Vanguard
    4. /var/log/Xorg.0.log of working setups and Vanguard
    5. Does the kernel parameter "nomodeset" do anything?
    6. Does XorgWizard ever get upgraded? Does it need to be to keep up with hardware? For example I notice "evdev" gets used in newer pups, but Carolina/Vanguard continues to use "kbd"
    7. Yes, I think we all know by now I would like to see a dmesg of problem hardware, but I understand people have lives :)
These questions aren't direct to any one person or even only to those with the hardware in question, I'm just hoping passerbys might chip in and add their two pence.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

Billtoo

#39 Post by Billtoo »

battleshooter wrote: Thanks for the new reports guys. I'm suspecting Xorg, but would like to do more research before putting up a Xorg update pet. What distros/Puplets do your graphics cards work with?
Carolina 1.3 works on the ivybridge computer, also dual booting the 64
bit versions of Mint 17 and Xubuntu 14.10.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 15 Dec 2014 on Carolina 1.3 Linux 3.2.13-ski i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 MHz

It's using the vesa driver on bootup, I just exited to the prompt now and ran xorgwizard,
chose the intel driver and chose the correct resolution then xwin, it is still using the vesa driver.

It's far from snappy but it is working.

Moat

#40 Post by Moat »

battleshooter wrote: Geoff posted the fix here.

Skype needs a fix too.

They needed a glibc work around in the original Carolina, but obviously glibc has been updated in Vanguard so the work around isn't needed and in fact breaks the application.
DoH! Right in front of me. In one ear (eye?)........

Geoffrey's fix for Master PDF Editor works :)... but his fix for Skype is spitting something out about QT incompatibility -

# skype
Fatal: Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40802)
/usr/bin/skype: line 6: 26375 Aborted                 /usr/share/skype/skype
# 
:?:

FWIW...

Bob

Billtoo

#41 Post by Billtoo »

battleshooter wrote: 7. Yes, I think we all know by now I would like to see a dmesg of problem hardware, but I understand people have lives :)[/list]

These questions aren't direct to any one person or even only to those with the hardware in question, I'm just hoping passerbys might chip in and add their two pence.
Got it, I attached it to a PM, you'll need to rename the file dmesg.txt
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Keisha

#42 Post by Keisha »

battleshooter wrote:Thinking about the Intel issue... questions I'd like answers to, can't seem to find them by searching:
    6. Does XorgWizard ever get upgraded? Does it need to be to keep up with hardware? For example I notice "evdev" gets used in newer pups, but Carolina/Vanguard continues to use "kbd"
    7. Yes, I think we all know by now I would like to see a dmesg of problem hardware, but I understand people have lives :)
Tried, but in tar.gz format the answers plus four relevant screencaps are 335K and this forum only allows 256K upload attachments. PM me your email addy and I'll send it that way.

musher0

#43 Post by musher0 »

Hello, battleshooter.

You did get me "sold" on your product :).

However, your new Carolina girl leaves me out in the cold :) after (giving
me the) boot-up, exactly at

root login on "tty1"
I mean: the boot process goes well and then the computer freezes badly
at that point.

BTW, if it's any help, my computer's an AMD Sempron 3100+ from 2007.
Or could it be the 3.18 kernel?

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

yerc1

#44 Post by yerc1 »

battleshooter wrote: I suspect it's Xorg. So far it's only working on Fatdog for you right? How did exton's build work out?
vlina needs "puppy acpi=off pfix=nox" then to pick vesa within xorgwizard else the display is garbled. I think vlina detects the intel video correctly but does not have the new driver required. Fatdog and PuppEX don't have a problem with the display.

exton's remaster of Puppy Tahr 6 with kernel 3.17 doesn't play nice with the touchpad either.
No, amixer is correct. The script isn't working because your
1. Volume keys aren't being mapped out
2. I suspect you main sound card is not being mapped to default (Is it being found at all? Does sound actually work)
Sound works and I can adjust volume in alsamixer. I don't have to do anything in vlina for sound to work.
The amixer error message might have something do with vlina detecting only one sound card, idk?
Fatdog/PuppEX detect two sound cards but I have to pick the second card for sound to work.
One more thing, md5sum checked out right?
Yep

One more thing, vlina suggested that I add pci=biosirq kernel option for the atheros wireless. The dmesg output attached is generated within vlina running with that boot parameter.

I attached Fatdog's dmesg output for comparison purposes.

thanks heaps.
Attachments
dmesg_fatdog.txt.tar.gz
(13.74 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
dmesg_vlina.txt.tar.gz
(9 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
Last edited by yerc1 on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#45 Post by Marv »

battleshooter wrote:Thinking about the Intel issue... questions I'd like answers to, can't seem to find them by searching:
Attached are xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files from working (Tahr based LxPupTahr 14.10.1) and vlina. Omitted the dmesg for now. Lots to chew upon already :!: I had to boot vlina with a minimal save file from 1.2 to extract the sore tooth but I cleaned it as much as I could first. When I worked toward updating the Xorg in X-slacko toward the Tahr version all with 3.14.20 kernels with mixed sucess I pretty much concluded that Xorg/Mesa/xorgwizard/drivers were an 'all or none' proposal.
Attachments
Xorg_comparisons.tar.gz
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

musher0

#46 Post by musher0 »

Yoo-hoo, guys! :)

I'm still here waiting for a solution or at least an explanation to my
Carolina Vanguard boot problem! :)

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ally

#47 Post by ally »

hey battleshooter

finally got around to taking vanguard for a spin, looks good, quick Q, how would I get chrome running?

:)

Marv

intel 4000 HD graphics

#48 Post by Marv »

i915.modeset=0 as a kernel parameter does get vlina running on the Bay Trail box with the correct.. and visible resolution, albeit with the vesa driver, software rasterizing and a glacial 25 FPS glxgears (glxgears on the same box with the intel driver etc in LxPupTahr is 2915 FPS). This should make troubleshooting a bit easier now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

#49 Post by Geoffrey »

Moat wrote: fix for Skype is spitting something out about QT incompatibility -

# skype
Fatal: Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40802)
/usr/bin/skype: line 6: 26375 Aborted                 /usr/share/skype/skype
# 
It appears you are using a skype package other than the Carolina one, which has a different version of QT included.

There is no need to install skype as vlina-1.3 has skype included and only the changes I mentioned need to be done,
even though it works without the change it's just to remove unneeded elements.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

#50 Post by Geoffrey »

ally wrote:hey battleshooter

finally got around to taking vanguard for a spin, looks good, quick Q, how would I get chrome running?

:)
I have kost@s's chromium package installed and working chromium-37.0.2062.94.pet
Attachments
chrome.jpg
(32.74 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]