Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 20:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Youtube started crashing Seamonkey 2.6.1 on Wary 5.5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Mitchellray

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2014, 17:32    Post subject:  Youtube started crashing Seamonkey 2.6.1 on Wary 5.5  

Hello,
Youtube began crashing Seamonkey 2.6.1 today 12-09-2014.
This is the first time that this has occurred in Seamonkey. I began using this Seamonkey over a year ago due to Firefox's crashes on youtube. Now Seamonkey is ailing.

Anybody else experiencing this problem as of the last couple of days?
Mine worked up until two days ago.

The browser appears to be working normally otherwise. But who can live without the 'Tube?
Thanks.
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2014, 18:12    Post subject:  

Mitch, you're running which version of the player? They're currently @ v11.2.202.425.

If you're not running the latest, upgrade and see if the condition persists..

You might also try visiting with >> seamonkey -safe-mode

The above disables any installed add-ons.

Mitchellray

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 13:51    Post subject: YouTube crashes Seamonkey  

Thanks for responding.
I am using Flash 10.0 r15.
I am reluctant to upgrade before others have dealt with this problem and established that there is a reason to upgrade, as well as established the fixes and tweaks that will be necessary when attempting to upgrade with a program that is not customized for this Wary Linux version.

It would be preferable to figure out why this just began happening after never having had any other problems with viewing YouTube videos in this browser on this Wary 5.5 os.

A clue is that some YouTube videos began popping up a request to store data on my machine whenever I adjusted the volume during play. I refused the storage. I wonder if I also blocked something in Data Manager. I don't remember. Data Manager has a "block upon deletion" mechanism, but I can not find a file or list of stored blocked items.

Oddly though, the crashing did not begin until about a week after theses requests to store data had already stopped appearing.

Mitchell
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 14:31    Post subject:  

Well, that you didn't leave us a link, here, see what you can do. If you'd like a copy of the final v10, just ask.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 15:27    Post subject:  

Since 10.0.15 downloads to /tmp be sure that you are not running out of storage space...

Otherwise the mysteries of you tube and its javascript and flash handling ... not somewhere i use often ...

Could also be that google are deliberately trying to stop users of older flash player to prevent downloading.... not beyond the possibility.

I will have a play and see how you tube behaves on here sine I use the same plugin. (though nowadays I have it flash blocked or disabled)

Mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 15:29    Post subject:  

I must add browser crashes have always been a puppy thing for me and have been fixed in the past by glib and gtk replacements...some change could be calling up a broken or missing function... and wary won't be using mainstream gtk releases at a guess.

mike
Mitchellray

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 16:49    Post subject: YouTube crashing Seamonkey  

Thanks again for the responses.
The problem seems to have resolved.
I went through loading Opera. That allowed the playing of one video on YouTube and no other would load. No crashes though.
Then, I downloaded the Firefox 4.1 from the Wary Install. The Firefox crashed when accessing YouTube.
Then, I created a new profile in Seamonkey, and that allowed me to visit YouTube without instantly crashing. Some videos would play, while others would never complete loading.
I eventually clicked on a menu item which took me to a Google sign in page.
This page made me wonder if Google is in charge and wanting something.
I declined to sign in.
Low and behold, Youtube does not crash my browser irrespective of profile as of this message.
One other note is that YouTube cookies are setting. Earlier, during the issue, I did not see cookies set. That is why I mentioned not being able to find any file with the blocked cookie setting and data mining access. Seamonkey data settings allows for the blocking, but no apparent access to a file for viewing or altering the permissions of the once blocked items.
Thanks,
Mitchell
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 17:10    Post subject:  

Oh good...

you reminded me of cause c... I have occasionally gone into a crash cycle which I can only put down to a temporary corrupted/upset mozilla profile. They usually clear after a while and the effect can persist after the cause has long gone. Sounds like something like that.

I have also noticed some vids never play with flash 10.0.15.... not sure of the pattern...perhaps its advert related. The downloader always for those though..

mike
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: