Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 22:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Linux++
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2014, 05:37    Post subject:  Linux++
Subject description: HP catching up with Puppy Machine

Hi guys, Lobster here,

Long time no bark Cool

As we all know Puppy runs in Ram, not like the linux chuggers and pull from hard drive OS that are so out of date they might be called Linux--

Twisted Evil

However HP may be producing a server OS leading to a new hardware design, that might eventually lead to consumer video editing in real time, CGI virtual reality HUD etc . . . maybe . . .

Frankly I expect integrated multi CPU/memory chips to be too powerful for us plebs for many years to come . . . unless China floods the market and moves computing from the Stone/Babbage age . . . Cool

Still thought you might be interested in this woefully late 'The Machine' technology. Wink

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533066/hp-will-release-a-revolutionary-new-operating-system-in-2015/

Last edited by Lobster on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 09:03; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2014, 07:18    Post subject:  

I hope they don't build it using the second rate crap hardware they seem to use nowadays or it won't last five minutes...... Very Happy

Slax can run in ram ...guess thats a linux++ too .. Smile

Sounds like a bit of a sales gimmic really... that which needs to go back and forth to the cpu is in its own ram cache on chip anyway.... so the only gain is grabbing data to be processed and loading programs which does not affect the overall processing that much when it comes to crunching the numbers.

star spangled corporate bull thingy perhaps Very Happy

well nice to see you popping up again...funny I have been playing with Psip.... one hairy co incidence.

mike
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 00:59    Post subject:  

Back in the Windows 95 time span, I can remember an article about someones test of running the complete OS and applications from a ram disk.
Evidently, he had a boot loader that set up the monstrous ram disk, copied all the needed windows files and OS to it and then booted from the ram disk.
He did not have any provision to save changes or installed software back to the physical drive when shutting down though.
But he did brag about how the doggy system had become a speed demon when run from ram.
But Microsoft never implemented any of it in making later OSes. I think this was basically because of the time it would take to set up a ram disk with all the windows contents.

It has been so long since I read the article, that I have no idea of what publication it was in either.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 02:39    Post subject:  

yes tried it and it works...but as you say you have no connection with real drives.

I believe the structure of NT prevents doing this at all so its DOS only which mean one unstable system that cannot do anything Very Happy

Now I can boot and run windows XP from a usb stick.... now if I could go as far as an image file??!!!

mike
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: