Banksy 3 - aka "The Personator"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#121 Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote:Mind you, if you were to test my understanding by asking me questions, would I pass the test?
Yep I reckon you would. You persisted to the point of having a bootable CD so that demonstrates a good understanding. And a lot of the refinements in banksy resulted from your comments and queries in the first place. Even if you don't know the sizes of the nuts and bolts you've definitely swung the spanner.

I still have some open questions that you asked a couple of years ago - like for example - can a swap partition retain information that is a security risk? My gut feeling is yes but I just haven't proved it yet.

It's on the list for future testing.

Rainy winter days on the way so hopefully more time ahead...

RC8 is uploaded and ready to go
(no need to upgrade - it only adds the new impersonator script you just tried and also a new Grub4Dos which improves frugal install that you don't need because you use CD boots)

greengeek

#122 Post by greengeek »

b3impersonator newest version uploaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jvfr3v9un ... 8.iso/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nduav18kq ... 5.txt/file
md5=c8a28f45dec4cebd255b2093f6bcb33c

Has newest impersonator script which adds the following:
- ability to append latest personalisations to previously created personal sfs
- ability to burn new CD/DVD which contains previous CD/DVD's personalised stuff plus any new personalisations added in current session.

Includes newer version of Grub4dos that better handles boot setup of frugal installations.

Updated sns script displays networks in order of signal strength.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 27 May 2018, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#123 Post by belham2 »

greengeek wrote:b3impersonator newest version uploaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jvfr3v9un ... 8.iso/file

Has newest impersonator script which adds the following:
- ability to append latest personalisations to previously created personal sfs
- ability to burn new CD/DVD which contains previous CD/DVD's personalised stuff plus any new personalisations added in current session.

Includes newer version of Grub4dos that better handles boot setup of frugal installations.

Updated sns script displays networks in order of signal strength.

Hi Greengeek,

Mucho gracias on this latest version.

Can you post what the md5/sha1/sha256 or sha512 should be or provide a download of it?

greengeek

#124 Post by greengeek »

My apologies, i should have added it to the iso link. Will do that now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nduav18kq ... 5.txt/file

md5=c8a28f45dec4cebd255b2093f6bcb33c

RickGT351

#125 Post by RickGT351 »

Sylvander wrote:
greengeek wrote:...as long as you put it where it is supposed to go...
Where is that?
I'm unable to find an existing file with the name "b3burnimp".
All the files in /opt/b3user get burnt on to a cd or dvd when you make a new one with the b3personator button on the desktop.
If you want to use the palemoon browser, have pupzip put the files in that directory
Last edited by RickGT351 on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

RickGT351

#126 Post by RickGT351 »

I am using Banksy 3 with the Palemoon browser. Every time I start Banksy, I have to link the ,moonchild productions and palemoon directories from /opt/b3user to /root. Is there a way to automate this? I have successfully made a script to link .lastpass to root but have had no success with the other 2
Last edited by RickGT351 on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#127 Post by greengeek »

Hi Rick - i will look into this. Can you tell me which pet you use to install Palemoon? Do you know where I can find it for testing? cheers

RickGT351

#128 Post by RickGT351 »

I just got the bzipped tarball from http://linux.palemoon.org/ and had pupzip unzip it into /opt/b3user directory then I copied the .moonchild productions directory over as well. It gets created when you run Pale Moon.
One issue is that the .moonchild productions directory has a space in its name and I don't know what grammar to use when dealing with such a file
greengeek wrote:Hi Rick - i will look into this. Can you tell me which pet you use to install Palemoon? Do you know where I can find it for testing? cheers
Last edited by RickGT351 on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#129 Post by greengeek »

Do you create any menu entries or desktop files, or do you run Palemoon by just clicking the Palemoon file in /opt/b3user ?

greengeek

#130 Post by greengeek »

RickGT351 wrote:One issue is that the .moonchild productions directory has a space in its name and I don't know what grammar to use when dealing with such a file
Also - can you post the grammar you would use if no spaces existed? That grammar is probably fine except that it may need quotes around part of it. If I see the syntax you have been using we may be able to spot why the symlinks didn't work (I think they should once that issue is sorted...)

RickGT351

#131 Post by RickGT351 »

greengeek wrote:
RickGT351 wrote:One issue is that the .moonchild productions directory has a space in its name and I don't know what grammar to use when dealing with such a file
Also - can you post the grammar you would use if no spaces existed? That grammar is probably fine except that it may need quotes around part of it. If I see the syntax you have been using we may be able to spot why the symlinks didn't work (I think they should once that issue is sorted...)
Here is the new revised (several times) version of link.sh and it now actually works. Here it is

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/b3user/.lastpass /root/.lastpass
ln -s /opt/b3user/.moonchild\ productions /root/.moonchild\ productions
ln -s /opt/b3user/palemoon /root/palemoon[
The trick for the space in the filename is a \ followed by a space.
Now I will link the file into /root/Startup and hopefully it will work automatically next time.

Update: the links now load automatically but now I have get page load errors when I try and load any webpage. Typical computing - solve one problem and create another. I will take the links file out of Startup and do it manually - maybe put a link on the desktop. Foiled
Last edited by RickGT351 on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

RickGT351

#132 Post by RickGT351 »

I dragged the palemoon executable onto the desktop from /opt/b3user so I have an icon on the desktop. I haven't figured out how to get the pretty icon to stick though. I am going to keep playing with that
greengeek wrote:Do you create any menu entries or desktop files, or do you run Palemoon by just clicking the Palemoon file in /opt/b3user ?

greengeek

#133 Post by greengeek »

RickGT351 wrote:The trick for the space in the filename is a \ followed by a space.
Now I will link the file into /root/.startup and hopefully it will work automatically next time.
That backslash trick is a good find. I struggle to know how to beat spaces in filenames. They can be quite problematic.

Do you have any idea what .lastpass actually does? I have not spotted that file when I have been using Palemoon. When does it get created?

RickGT351

#134 Post by RickGT351 »

LastPass is a password manager. Its an add-on. You can get it here
greengeek wrote:
RickGT351 wrote:The trick for the space in the filename is a \ followed by a space.
Now I will link the file into /root/.startup and hopefully it will work automatically next time.
That backslash trick is a good find. I struggle to know how to beat spaces in filenames. They can be quite problematic.

Do you have any idea what .lastpass actually does? I have not spotted that file when I have been using Palemoon. When does it get created?

RickGT351

#135 Post by RickGT351 »

Is there a more elegant way of having numlock on by default than the script I am currently using?

RickGT351

#136 Post by RickGT351 »

I am thinking of adding a VPN, specifically ProtonVPN to my Banksy. Would this be good for security or not necessary. I have attempted it already but Banksy seems a bit cranky about allowing it to work, like blocking files from here

wget -O protonvpn-cli.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn-cli/master/protonvpn-cli.sh
and also issues with Python, which PPM says is already installed.
Here's the instructions
Is there a better way?

greengeek

#137 Post by greengeek »

Hi Rick, sorry, it seems that i missed your last question. And to be honest your latest question is a bit of a curve ball for me. :? It's a head scratcher :twisted:

I have no experience with VPN unfortunately. And to be honest I doubt anything I do will make Banksy as secure as I would like to. (I still feel the deliberate lack of save files is a major benefit but there are other issues to consider)

After using Banksy for a number of years I started to feel that there was probably no way for me to keep security at a level that it should be.

For example:

- I read that VPNs are not really secure.
- I read that ssl updates have created as many security holes as they fixed.
- I saw various websites claiming that Tor is designed and run by the NSA/CIA etc and that Tor exit points are monitored closely.

These things (and many others) made me think that there is no way my meagre knowledge can keep pace with state sponsored hackers.

No way at all.

But that doesn't mean things can't be improved. I will have a closer look at your questions and see if I can offer something meaningful.

cheers!
Last edited by greengeek on Wed 15 May 2019, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#138 Post by greengeek »

If I understand you correctly, the file blocking you mention is this:

# wget -O protonvpn-cli.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn-cli/master/protonvpn-cli.sh
--2019-05-15 19:16:35--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn-cli/master/protonvpn-cli.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.164.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.164.133|:443... connected.
ERROR: The certificate of ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’ is not trusted.
ERROR: The certificate of ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’ hasn't got a known issuer.
# 
...which may possibly be fixable by loading a "ca certificates" pet from OscarTalks (or similar). Might be worth a try??

greengeek

#139 Post by greengeek »

RickGT351 wrote:I am thinking of adding a VPN, specifically ProtonVPN to my Banksy. Would this be good for security or not necessary.
I think it depends on who you wish to protect your data from.

I consider that a VPN does nothing to block your data from Police, government agencies or security organisations (NSA etc) but is handy for blocking general hackers from sniffing your data.

However - my question is always "who wrote the software"? It seems to me that whoever writes, maintains (and more importantly "updates") such software has great power to make us feel safer than perhaps we have a right to feel. (that's true of any operating system, any software, and even the Linux kernel etc...) .

I wish I could offer an informed view of the value of VPNs but i really have no facts to back up my feelings,

I will do what I can to try to help you sort out why Proton is having trouble getting off the ground - let me know if loading more recent CA certificates helps.

RickGT351

#140 Post by RickGT351 »

Thanks greengeek. I installed ca-certificates from smokey01.com and now the wget works. Let's see if the rest works as well.
greengeek wrote:If I understand you correctly, the file blocking you mention is this:

# wget -O protonvpn-cli.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn-cli/master/protonvpn-cli.sh
--2019-05-15 19:16:35--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn-cli/master/protonvpn-cli.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.164.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.164.133|:443... connected.
ERROR: The certificate of ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’ is not trusted.
ERROR: The certificate of ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’ hasn't got a known issuer.
# 
...which may possibly be fixable by loading a "ca certificates" pet from OscarTalks (or similar). Might be worth a try??