How to use a Nokia phone as modem?

firepup

How to use a Nokia phone as modem?

#1 Post by firepup »

I've a nokia 3220 and a DKU 50 cable to connect it to PC. When I use win XP, I can easily connect to the internet using the nokia pc suite. I'm an absolute newborn to Linux and in fact puppy is my first Linux distro. I downloaded 2.14 and want to access internet using my hardware. Please help me as I'm trying to spread the word about Linux and open source among my tech deprived fellow people.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

Search this forum for CDMA and GRSM (or GSM).

You'll have to figure out what type of phone network your phone supports and then try some of the stuff in there.

This post and the one just below it are examples of how you 'might' do it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 361#112361

I'm at the point where I can dial but not get a network myself. I have to tweak my /etc/ppp/options file somehow.

Gkdial seems like the friendliest app for dialing like this. It's under "network" in the menu.

firepup

Confused...

#3 Post by firepup »

I'm confused at all this. I tried what you suggested but the fact is that I'm from windows world and I can't understand the output of dmesg and other commands as well. I'm giving here all the details possible. Please, please, please help me.
Device - Nokia 3220
Type - GSM
Connection - DKU 50 usb cable
port - com4(as win XP tells)
network conn - GPRS
Access point - airtelgprs.com
Nothing in puppy is recognizing the phone. I've tried GKDIAL, WVDIAL as well as XEZNET.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

You're going to have to do something like this:

1-Plug in the phone with USB Cable, Make sure the phone is in the correct mode and on.

2- 'modprobe usbserial' <- Type that at a shell (commandline) (no 's). You shouldn't see anything happen. It should just load.

3- 'mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 c 166 0' <- You probably have to make a device like this. I have no idead if this is the right name for you.

4- 'chmod go+w /dev/usb/ttyUSB0' <- This is to give read writer permissions to the device node. Use whatever name you have to use above.

5- 'ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem' <- link the node you made to /dev/modem so you can do a ppp connection to it as a modem.

6- Open Gkdial, hit Preferences->Add Modem
Select /dev/modem
Setup your connection by hitting "Add" button.

7- Edit:

/etc/ppp/options

and

/etc/ppp/ip-up
*see /etc/ppp/ip-up-EXAMPLE.

In 'options' make sure you have 'usepeerdns' listed. That sets up dns requests to their servers when the ppp is set up.

Let me know how far you get. I'm going to try again to get mine going tonight. I'll make sure to clarify anything here if I find out anything new.

firepup

Tried but failed...

#5 Post by firepup »

Now I'm starting to understand things. In the mknod step, it says file exists for ttyUSB0. I assume this as the name of the com ports on windows. So I tried ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB3 in which first 2 said file exists. The others worked, at least in this step. Now, about editing the /etc/ppp/options file, I didn't get anything to edit as it had the segment you said. There wasn't any ip-up file although it had the EXAMPLE file. In GKDIAL, I added the modem and the connection with dialing number as *99# which I figured out from windows. I set the connection type as PAP. After all this juggling, I simply get connection lost.

John Doe

Re: Tried but failed...

#6 Post by John Doe »

firepup wrote:... it says file exists for ttyUSB0. I assume this as the name of the com ports on windows. So I tried ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB3 in which first 2 said file exists. The others worked, at least in this step.
hold up. Forget the com3 thing. You can use windows to peak at some hardware info for use in linux, but com3 doesn't translate to linux.

/dev/ttyS0

represents the first serial device in linux

/dev/ttyS1 would be two
/dev/ttyS2 three...etc

Like drives and partitions.

Since you are doing a usb serial connection, it's like this:

/dev/usb/ttyS0

If it's already there, then link that device to /dev/modem and continue.

firepup wrote:Now, about editing the /etc/ppp/options file, I didn't get anything to edit as it had the segment you said.
Good, that might be fine.
firepup wrote:There wasn't any ip-up file although it had the EXAMPLE file.
Copy it to ip-up.
firepup wrote:In GKDIAL, I added the modem and the connection with dialing number as *99# which I figured out from windows. I set the connection type as PAP. After all this juggling, I simply get connection lost.
Tweak up that link above and see what happens. PAP sounds like a good pick. You may want to contact your service provider and ask if they use PAP just to get that variable out of the way.

Still haven't gotten any further myself. I'm busy finishing up some other things.

firepup

Re: Tried but failed...

#7 Post by firepup »

Same reply of GKDIAL i.e. Connection lost. There is still one confusion, is ttyS0 equivalent to ttyUSB0. I've the ttyUSB0 in /dev/usb while modem wizard and in yr reference it is somewhere ttyS0 also. I think the phone is recognized after the above procedure as it reset the date on my phone to 5/5/2005. Btw, how do I change date and time in puppy. I don't see any wizard or control panel for that.

firepup

One question plz...

#8 Post by firepup »

I have a question. How do I confirm that my phone is recognized as device on ttyUSB0 after doing all the steps you suggested ? Also, I've got the modem initialization string which I got from the win XP modem properties dialog. Here is it:

AT+CGDCONT=,,"airtelgprs.com"<cr>

Does this have any use in the solution to my problem ?[/b]

Pelo

the secret how to do

#9 Post by Pelo »

people speaking french are welcome on francophon forum topic.. Several colleagues use the process, but they did not reveal the secret on how to do.
Summer and sun are here, if i can use my laptop where my phone is linked, it would be really nice to go outside and study the Linux of Puppy.
Attachments
nokia phone.jpg
Tahrpup even does not list Nokia C2
(71.98 KiB) Downloaded 92 times