How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
don570

Convert Youtube video to audio file

#1 Post by don570 »

Convert Youtube video to audio file

Steps to convert using puppy linus:

1) Download a youtube video in the mp4 video format

2) Right click on file to launch 'ffconvert' by Shinobar

3) Source should be automatically filled in.
Destination can be anywhere where there is space.

4) Click on Preset tab and make settings for mp3(see image below)

5) Click Detail tab and set the Codec and file format as shown below.

6) Click 'Convert' button and the mp3 file will be created in the destination folder

dk60902

Re: Convert Youtube video to audio file

#2 Post by dk60902 »

don570 wrote:Convert Youtube video to audio file

Steps to convert using puppy linus:

1) Download a youtube video in the mp4 video format

2) Right click on file to launch 'ffconvert' by Shinobar

3) Source should be automatically filled in.
Destination can be anywhere where there is space.

4) Click on Preset tab and make settings for mp3(see image below)

5) Click Detail tab and set the Codec and file format as shown below.

6) Click 'Convert' button and the mp3 file will be created in the destination folder

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

dk60902 wrote:...I just use some of the online converters, so I don't have to download the mp4 file.
That's nice, but not as helpful as it could be. For instance, where would we find some of "the online converters"? Links would be great.

dk60902

#4 Post by dk60902 »

Flash wrote:
dk60902 wrote:...I just use some of the online converters, so I don't have to download the mp4 file.
That's nice, but not as helpful as it could be. For instance, where would we find some of "the online converters"? Links would be great.
Google is your friend. There are numerous ones. For starters:

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

A how-to should not leave so much to the imagination of the reader that he has to google for necessary information to use it. I think it should be more like a tested recipe. Sometimes the readers are doing the testing, but if you reply you should add information, not leave the reader mystified.

dk60902

#6 Post by dk60902 »

I was only relaying my experience, not trying to write up a tutorial. It would be fewer steps than what the original poster described. If people had questions to my posting, I would be happy to respond and give more specific details (links, steps, etc).

I would think that most here can do an online search, and come up with a link for a converter.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

No doubts about that.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MochiMoppel

#8 Post by MochiMoppel »

Flash wrote:A how-to should not leave so much to the imagination of the reader that he has to google for necessary information to use it. I think it should be more like a tested recipe. Sometimes the readers are doing the testing, but if you reply you should add information, not leave the reader mystified.
Flash, I think dk60902 has a valid point.

I wasn't mystified by his response, I was mystified by the original post: "1) Download a youtube video in the mp4 video format". How would I do that? Youtube tries hard to prevent that. So the information I am missing is, which tools to use to download a video. Yes, I know some and even have made them to work in Puppy, but I'm not interested enough in this stuff to test them thoroughly.

Most mystifying: Why should I take the trouble, time and bandwidth to download a whole video when I'm only interested in the audio? Online converters come to mind :wink:

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

MochiMoppel wrote:Most mystifying: Why should I take the trouble, time and bandwidth to download a whole video when I'm only interested in the audio? Online converters come to mind :wink:
Aahhh, but would an 'online converter' help you download only the audio track? I find the easiest way is to download the youtube flv version (or whichever version is the lowest resolution), save it in /root, then open it with mhwaveedit and save as mp3 or whatever format you prefer. Works a treat.

smokey01

#10 Post by smokey01 »

I think mhwaveedit uses the codecs in mplayer for encoding. Tahrpup doesn't use mplayer but fear not because vlc can also strip the audio out of youtube videos.
Same goes for Fatdog.

MochiMoppel

#11 Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote:Aahhh, but would an 'online converter' help you download only the audio track?
Yes, that's exactly what they are doing, hence the name converter :wink:

One of many similar:http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Besides the online converters to audio only there are also some which convert to different video formats eg. flv to mp4. I have used it before and it works very well and is fast too. Really no need to download the original video in it's native format first if you want to convert.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

nic007 wrote:Besides the online converters to audio only there are also some which convert to different video formats eg. flv to mp4.
Care to name one?

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

Flash wrote:
nic007 wrote:Besides the online converters to audio only there are also some which convert to different video formats eg. flv to mp4.
Care to name one?
Also online. Can't remember which one I used many months ago. A quick google search with "online youtube converter" will bring up a few possibilities eg. Clipconverter. The one I used last time could convert to other formats at different resolutions and aspect ratios. You just copy and paste the url, select your output preference, the conversion is done and you download the new file Easy peasy. http://www.onlineyoutube.com

mister_electronico

other way by command.

#15 Post by mister_electronico »

Other way by command, open terminal:

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -ab 192 out_sound.mp3

regards

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

I like this thread for several reasons:
  • It opens our eyes to achieving a particular objective by providing steps to meet it.
  • It bring attention to the value of presenting information that leads reader to which approach was found and tested, to also meet the objective in a clear fashion.
This increases the usefulness and reduces the follow-up in most cases.

Thanks to everyone helping to bring this awareness into the open. Information, with clarity, is very helpful to both new and experienced level users.

some1

#17 Post by some1 »

Well -
deletion of the posts from
dk60902
Semme
MochiMoppel
gcmartin
some1

in this thread might make it conform better
with the purpose of this section in the forum

B.K. Johnson

#18 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Getting a mp3 audio from, a youtube video (mp4, flv), I avoid downloading the video file alltogether. This is what I do.

Open a new window in my browser (Browser page 1).
- Select the youtube video and play (complete play is not necessary).
- Highlight the address in the addressbar, right-click and copy the address. If the video you want to convert is shown in the right side of the youtube screen, you need not play it. Just right-click on the title and copy the link address.
Open a second window in the browser (Browser page 2).
- Enter vid2mp3.com in the browser addressbar and press Enter.
- Scroll down the page until you see Enter video url below to convert into mp3 above a data entry window.
- In the window, right-click and paste the youtube address in the window and click on Download.
- Wait until the conversion is completed and the words: Click here to get your Download Link appear (it is a link).
- Click on the link
- When the button labeled Download MP3 appears, click on it.
-- If your browser preference has a Download directory specified, the mp3 file is saved there. If your preference is set to Always ask me where io save downloads (or similar), then a Save file dialogbox appears, allowing you to choose where you want the mp3 file saved.
- The window then shows: Give us your feedback, or click here to convert another file, allowing you to convert another youtube video. If you want to convert another youtube video switch back to Browser page 1. select it. return to the vid2mp3 window and click the click here link. Repeat.
- Close the vid2mp3 window if you are finished converting.

B.K. Johnson

jpop12

#19 Post by jpop12 »

it is also possible to open the downloaded mp4 video file in Audacity and save it as mp3, flac, wav, etc. using Audacity also makes it easy to edit the file before converting: length, volume level, etc.

B.K. Johnson

#20 Post by B.K. Johnson »

it is also possible to open the downloaded mp4 video file in Audacity and save it as mp3, flac, wav, etc. using Audacity also makes it easy to edit the file before converting: length, volume level, etc.
I have never loaded a mp4 file in Audacity though I am a big fan of the application. What about flv files?

This will take much too long if one is downloading a latge number of files. Next time my preview indicates that a .mp4 file will need editing, I'll download and edit in Audacity then save as .mp3. The resultant file would in theory be sonically better than downloading as .mp3, editing in Audacity and then saving as mp3. But for files that do not need any editing I'll go with vid2mp3 or similar website. Thanks for the tip.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2, slacko-5.7, frugal install, flashdrive boot, 4GB RAM